test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cannon Build, would love some assitance

charon83charon83 Member Posts: 96 Arc User
Hey there,

Recently i decided to get myself the Cardassian unlock and shortly after leveling that character a bit i wanted to go all in with an all new build, since i haven't done Cannons yet i've looked up as much as i could, and after finding what i was looking for i decided on a ship and what to do (already got the ship).

Now this is the build i have in mind: https://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/196a53f27291c0ce25727e82f83e3ae1
Since i'm lacking some ships for some of the consoles (only zen/exchange ones) i have a few questions about it:

a) The +can locators? wouldn't it make more sense to just go with +dis instead and simply have the trilithium turret in there for the proc? especially considering there is almost no other Dis/energy boost at all there, or am i being blind?

b) as far as i can see it, that build homes in on accuracy, haste and overall mobility to zap around a lot which requires some adapting from the slow cruisers i usually fly, however seeing as Wide Arc DHCs are in there, i wonder if it's still viable with Spiral Waves (they don't have the wide arc option i believe?), seeing as, with a setup like that a 45° fireing arc would make it incredibly hard to position yourself correctly. Question being, does it make sense going with non wide-arc DHCs? (i really don't want to invest about a billion and tons of dil to find out it's frustrating, the notes to the build say it's alright to use spiral wave, but i'd like some input on that.)

c) The BoFF setup says to use both CSV AND CRF, is that correct and how does that work for the actual setup and sequence you want to fire those?

And as a last note, is there anything that could still be improved upon it? (not to discredit anyone over at that website, i'd just like to have some input before commiting building/farming it all up).

Comments

• odinforever20000odinforever20000 Member Posts: 1,849 Arc User
    charon83 wrote: »
    Hey there,

Recently i decided to get myself the Cardassian unlock and shortly after leveling that character a bit i wanted to go all in with an all new build, since i haven't done Cannons yet i've looked up as much as i could, and after finding what i was looking for i decided on a ship and what to do (already got the ship).

Now this is the build i have in mind: https://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/196a53f27291c0ce25727e82f83e3ae1
    Since i'm lacking some ships for some of the consoles (only zen/exchange ones) i have a few questions about it:

a) The +can locators? wouldn't it make more sense to just go with +dis instead and simply have the trilithium turret in there for the proc? especially considering there is almost no other Dis/energy boost at all there, or am i being blind?

b) as far as i can see it, that build homes in on accuracy, haste and overall mobility to zap around a lot which requires some adapting from the slow cruisers i usually fly, however seeing as Wide Arc DHCs are in there, i wonder if it's still viable with Spiral Waves (they don't have the wide arc option i believe?), seeing as, with a setup like that a 45° fireing arc would make it incredibly hard to position yourself correctly. Question being, does it make sense going with non wide-arc DHCs? (i really don't want to invest about a billion and tons of dil to find out it's frustrating, the notes to the build say it's alright to use spiral wave, but i'd like some input on that.)

c) The BoFF setup says to use both CSV AND CRF, is that correct and how does that work for the actual setup and sequence you want to fire those?

And as a last note, is there anything that could still be improved upon it? (not to discredit anyone over at that website, i'd just like to have some input before commiting building/farming it all up).

A. ) GO with + Dis instead. More damage boost than the + Cannon.
    There are other Disruptor boosts:
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Synergistic_Retrofitting_Set#Set_Powers (Wich you have the 2 piece of)
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Entoiled_Technology_Set#Console_-_Science_-_Nausicaan_Siphon_Capacitor
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Silent_Enemy_Set
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Preserver_Resonant_Technologies_Set#Console_-_Tactical_-_Harmonic_Resonance_Relay
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Bajor_Defense_Set

Ill leave the others to some cannoniers.

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Jacobs_xSmall.png

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

• charon83charon83 Member Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited September 2018

I am aware of the general sets for disruptor, my main runs dis beams. The 2 set i completely overlooked yeah, have to look em up in the wiki every time which is a hassle, this games needs an armory feature :wink:
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    Hello.

A new cannoneer on the horizon. Thats cool. :)

I'm short on time today so i keep it brieft, sorry:

a) The difference between +can and +dis is fairly small so both options feel valid. I also favor the + dis one on the presented setup although other non dis weapons may turn up in the future so the +cannon way is a bit more flexible (single voth turret is a strong call for example). Neither way will hurt or limit you though so you are free.

b) One can only install one wide arc cannon and cuz of the wide arc of 90° and should do so. Thanks to recent adjustments to CSV the ability upgrades all your guns tho to profit from 90° arcs as far as the secondary targets are concerned. Only the primary one needs to be within 45°. I often use the single 90° gun as kind of search light to help me better to stay on focus. It is a good addition. In any case 1 sensor linked wide arc, 1 terran and rest spireals is the way to go at the moment.

c) The mix of CSV and CRF would only work "full time" in light of aux2bat which sees to it that both abilities are on CD all the time. Result is that you can truly select which one u could use in the resepctive situation. In 95% of the cases it will be CSV as 2 targets in reach already make it better than CRF. If only one target is in front of you (mostly powerfull boss ships) CRF takes over. On this build however I'd probably use 2 copies of CSV or only take it on tac toons in short engagements where the captains ability, the sci photonic officer, frenzy and domino helps. For an ISA DPS record or other 2-3 minute engagements it will work great, elsewhere you could end up with interruptions in your cycle.

I hope this helps a bit and again, sorry for the brief post as i have to head home now. :)
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
    edited September 2018
    Exactly the kind of input i was looking for @peterconnorfirst am really enjoying leveling with a cannon setup and looking forward to maxing out a build with it. Also good to know about the wide-arc stuff i guess it all comes down to reaction time. Gonna try some boxes then to get myself a proper sensor-linked version, i do like the spiral wave a tad more due to the visual/sound and overall strength of the proc for them, but fitting a single - different coloured disruptor is actually a genius idea to create visual markers for targeting, thanks.

Also do i understand that correctly: fitting a wide-arc dhc and activating CSV gives the non wide-arcs the same arc as the wide-arc? or am i reading that wrong? (wide arc for targeted -> secondaries jump over within the field of the wide-arc, even on normals?)
    edited September 2018
    Exactly the kind of input i was looking for @peterconnorfirst am really enjoying leveling with a cannon setup and looking forward to maxing out a build with it. Also good to know about the wide-arc stuff i guess it all comes down to reaction time. Gonna try some boxes then to get myself a proper sensor-linked version, i do like the spiral wave a tad more due to the visual/sound and overall strength of the proc for them, but fitting a single - different coloured disruptor is actually a genius idea to create visual markers for targeting, thanks.

Also do i understand that correctly: fitting a wide-arc dhc and activating CSV gives the non wide-arcs the same arc as the wide-arc? or am i reading that wrong? (wide arc for targeted -> secondaries jump over within the field of the wide-arc, even on normals?)

I think thats the way it works at the moment:

Wide arc: always 90°
    Normal: only 45° BUT under CSV only primary target needs to be in 45° while the two remaining targets will be hit even in 90°. Never more than 3 targets in sum can be hit with CSV.

Sweet thing here is the Withering Barrage ship trait. It will enable you to use CSV 14 out of 15 seconds so almost all the time. :)

As for the box opening, please wait a bit. The new box should hit soon at which point the sensor link stuff will be part of the infinity lock box resulting in a massive drop of prices for the respective weapons.

When in game feel always free to ask in DPS-Bronze. The peeps who maintain the metal DPS channels are one of the most kindest and helpful I ever encountered in STO.
    animated.gif
    As for the box opening, please wait a bit. The new box should hit soon at which point the sensor link stuff will be part of the infinity lock box resulting in a massive drop of prices for the respective weapons.

Yeah, will prio farming most of the dil/zen/ships up front with my 10 other chars anyway, this is afterall a long-term project. Also The CSV thing is a revelation, i never could have guessed that.

As for the dps channels, i need to set them up properly, have access up to the gold one atm (really need to run ISA in a premade for once to get the last :smiley: ) and never seem to get them to work. But thanks a ton for your input, this really helps putting things into order.
    edited September 2018

Yeah, will prio farming most of the dil/zen/ships up front with my 10 other chars anyway, this is afterall a long-term project. Also The CSV thing is a revelation, i never could have guessed that.

As for the dps channels, i need to set them up properly, have access up to the gold one atm (really need to run ISA in a premade for once to get the last :smiley: ) and never seem to get them to work. But thanks a ton for your input, this really helps putting things into order.

Far out and cool to have you aboard. :)

Due to a set of buffs for cannons (withering barrage, same ranged dmg drop as beams, working acc overflow under CSV, working crit D on DHCs and finally the wider arc for CSV) the past seasons they seem to have made it the most powerful way to go at the moment.
    animated.gif
  • feliseanfelisean Member Posts: 688 Arc User
    [...]

you need to join the chans, but there is a maximum of 20 channels max.
    to join, right click on one of your chat tabs => channels => mark channel + hit join (bottom left of that window) :)
    you need to join the chans, but there is a maximum of 20 channels max.
    to join, right click on one of your chat tabs => channels => mark channel + hit join (bottom left of that window) :)
    That was it, needed to hit the join button that is why it never worked, thanks.