test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Will we ever get a canon accurate Dauntless?

Comments

• mozzellimozzelli Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    Windows and seems are standard issues becuase they have them mass placed. Not concerened with that. Im talking the general Canonical shape and type of ship. As well as the sources they use to determine this. Youre point still goes unmade. But to help you out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTrMDRwcLHU

Using the original designers work for reference. It sounds like youre just trying to nit pick.

As well this is a pretty good video to point out the proper canonical design the game doesn't seem to have for the Dauntless.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    After seeing the title of this thread, my first thought was, "Canon-accurate? You mean the first time you engage slipstream, it kidnaps and tries to kill your crew?"

The original USS Dauntless was a trap, as you may recall...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    Jonsills : that would make for a great universal console xD

It was a trap ship (lol even ships can be traps now) but because of enterprise we know its eventually used as a federation ship.

Azeael: your trek core post had nothing to do with the Dauntless. Seems and windows dont effect the overall canon design replica. Especially because the Windows on the Eaglemoss Dauntless wasn't effected by that issue or at least in IrishTrekkies case. This is the most accurate version of the ship there is.

Which is why again im trying to find out from anyone on the team if we will ever see a canon accurate Dauntless in Game.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    Again... Azrael was trying to point out that Eaglemoss models aren't the end all reference for canon due to a history of errors. Just because it doesn't DIRECTLY reference the Dauntless doesn't excuse a history established across multiple ships.

While they are highly detailed, there are still errors that appear. Nobody is perfect. Not even Eaglemoss. You'd have a better case comparing it to the actual CG model used in Voyager honestly.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    What I'm saying is, the only Dauntless in canon is a literal deathtrap, built by an alien who wanted the entire crew of the Voyager dead. A "canon-accurate" Dauntless would be more of a threat to you than any of the enemy, because you can escape them in your ship - but you can't escape your ship in your ship.

And Azrael is correct - the history of Eaglemoss models suggests that they're no more reliable with this one than with any of the others. And your graphic was no help at all, because the areas that you circled look fine to me.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    I just can't get worked up about a ship that showed up on one episode, that's an imitation ship of a Starfleet vessel. The whole blurb in STO about it, if I remember right, is that the FED engineers thought it was a good design so copied the imitation. You think those engineers would be 100% faithful to the fake ship or that they'd NOT 'improve' upon it? HMMMMM?!? ;)

And anyway, while I appreciate Eaglemoss cranking out a veritable buttload of ship models; IMO they aren't that great. Even their XL ones aren't worth the price. You'd be better off buying the version from Diamond Select/Art Asylum. Bigger, cheaper, and have lights/sounds! :D
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    What I'm saying is, the only Dauntless in canon is a literal deathtrap, built by an alien who wanted the entire crew of the Voyager dead. A "canon-accurate" Dauntless would be more of a threat to you than any of the enemy, because you can escape them in your ship - but you can't escape your ship in your ship.

I always thought it was just his own ship (and not that he specifically built it). He just dressed it up as a modern Fed ship, as it were, with the holo particle thingy.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    Yea... I think it was his ship. Now the Borg have it.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I always thought it was just his own ship (and not that he specifically built it). He just dressed it up as a modern Fed ship, as it were, with the holo particle thingy.
    B'Ellanna figured it out when she started poking the ship's innards. they weren't made of Fed stuff.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    B'Ellanna figured it out when she started poking the ship's innards. they weren't made of Fed stuff.

I think it was actually Harry Kim, who hailed Tuvok, and said he "found something that qualifies as an anomaly." (Quoted from memory, but words to that effect)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited September 2018
    Azrael, Rattler: sorry dudes but it’s semantics in this case as the model is not only extremely detailed in this case but lacks any distinguishable flaw beyond a seem. Which matter of production and has nothing to do with if the ship is accurate orca. There.

It’s a weak argument to hold and completely not the point of my post. I posted a review of the ship a few comments prior I suggest watching it and form a better argument.

Because of Enterprise it’s formally a federation ship so in the same way Discovery shoe horned it’s way in to being a thing because it’s in one scene with the enterprise in ESD (which isn’t even the same ship) having the shows producers acknowledge the ship specifically both on screen and off is more then enough to get your panties out of a bunch an accept it’s a canon fed ship.

Meier: it is his own ship he just used particle synthesis to mask it as a fed ship.

Jon: it wasn’t the ship that was the problem it was Arturis
    mozzelli wrote: »
    Windows and seems are standard issues becuase they have them mass placed. Not concerened with that. Im talking the general Canonical shape and type of ship. As well as the sources they use to determine this. Youre point still goes unmade.

(...)

Using the original designers work for reference. It sounds like youre just trying to nit pick.

As well this is a pretty good video to point out the proper canonical design the game doesn't seem to have for the Dauntless.

While I respect that a canonical look is very important to you (it is, after all, understandably, a big deal for a lot of ppl here), I honestly feel you probably picked the worst possible ship to get upset over. I mean, even after you showed us the mesh anomalies, I must admit I still hardly notice them. :)

As for canonical, in the sense of 'true to the orinal Fed design,' as others have pointed out, it wasn't a real Fed ship to begin with (likely 'fanwanked' into canon, later on, to have been recreated). So a few minor nacelle differences from what we saw on the show, I feel confident enough to say I can live with that.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited September 2018
    Meime: I wouldn't say im complaining im just confused as to why it was released being so inaccurate. In addition the fans had nothing to do with it becoming a canon fed ship. That was all the Enterprise producers.Id add its not just the nacelles. Its the overall shape of the saucer section they rounded it when its very clearly pointed and the deflector housing is also rounded instead of pointed. Lastly the Federation pennant is observably large when its should be much smaller. Images for reference regarding shape of hull.

https://postimg.cc/image/f69y1ascb/ *ignore the red nacelle caps*

https://postimg.cc/image/q5v5d1ny3/

Reyan right there with ya man. The Nova needs some love but it came out at a time when stos future was eh. I expect more care from ships at a t6 level then I do from ships released back in the day. The Nova will more then likely be getting a t6 variant soon so I dont think you need to worry.
  • reafisreafis Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    So the "canon" version would occasionally have a proc where the ship stops responding and transwarps to the nearest borg vessel. That could actually be fun the first few times...
    I mean that has nothing to do with how it looks. You're thinking more abilities as we already have a particle synthesis console I think thats covered already.
    Yeah but the Particle Synthesis console is something you use to project an image onto an enemy. It doesn't redecorate YOUR ship. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    That's what GPL Holoemitters are for. ;)
    The console completely makes your ship look like the dauntless. It literally redecorates your ship hull...but again that isnt the point of this thread. It's meant to focus on the inaccurate design of the ship in game.
    No the console is a clicky power that forces an ENEMY to look like you. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Because you're already that ship wouldn't make sense in the reverse. Again not the point of the thread.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    Please... no more! :'(
    giphy.gif
    This whole thread's devolved into... one big WUT?

latest?cb=20141028222332
    None of which matters. This thread is about how inaccurate the Dauntless is designed in game and questioning if its even on the devs lists for a repass to make it more canon accurate. If you don't work for cryptic, for the sake of getting this thread back on track, please don't reply. Thank you.
    If you don't work for cryptic, for the sake of getting this thread back on track, please don't reply. Thank you.

Just for the record... I doubt they will directly respond to you in General Discussion. Maybe try the Feedback section of the forums.
    I doubt they will reply at all. He hasn't done a very good job of making a case.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited September 2018
    Dudes specifically just asked you not to reply unless you work at cryptic. Maybe they will maybe they won't but nothing anyone has said so far has much of any value to the actual point of my thread.
    And I just made a suggestion.
    Dudes specifically just asked you not to reply unless you work at cryptic. Maybe they will maybe they won't but nothing anyone has said so far has much of any value to the actual point of my thread.
    Hey, you know what one of the fun things about public forums is? Literally anybody can reply to anybody else.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png