test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Hurricane Florence

2»

Comments

• mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    equinox976 wrote: »

that is doubtful. the uk weather relies on the gulf stream and that hurricane that hit the Carolinas have thrown up a lot of nasty weather that is likely to make its way to the UK, also a former hurricane that was heading for the UK has disintegrated but there is still a lot of tropical like weather that will consume Ireland and part of the mainland, mostly Wales and bits of Scotland and will likely travel across most of the uk before too long.

i don't trust the UK weather service, because it has proven to be unreliable in weather forecast over the last few years, especially in long range and short range forecasting.

Seems to have been pretty accurate to be honest - its sunny here right now and pretty warm (22c at the mo') It's comparable the warmer summer days we've had here which is surprising for this time of year.

Ireland in the northwestern area is throwing it down with rain, most of Scotland is also getting rain. Middle of the mainland, Wales and the rest of Ireland is under a blanket of clouds and yet you can only think about your little corner as an example?

T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,277 Arc User

that is doubtful. the uk weather relies on the gulf stream and that hurricane that hit the Carolinas have thrown up a lot of nasty weather that is likely to make its way to the UK, also a former hurricane that was heading for the UK has disintegrated but there is still a lot of tropical like weather that will consume Ireland and part of the mainland, mostly Wales and bits of Scotland and will likely travel across most of the uk before too long.

i don't trust the UK weather service, because it has proven to be unreliable in weather forecast over the last few years, especially in long range and short range forecasting.

Seems to have been pretty accurate to be honest - its sunny here right now and pretty warm (22c at the mo') It's comparable the warmer summer days we've had here which is surprising for this time of year.

Ireland in the northwestern area is throwing it down with rain, most of Scotland is also getting rain. Middle of the mainland, Wales and the rest of Ireland is under a blanket of clouds and yet you can only think about your little corner as an example?

erm... hostile much?

I was just commenting that it's lovely and sunny where I am, similar to what the weatherman said it would be like... (I'm in the middle of the 'mainland' by the way (Midlands)

Anyhoo - hope you folks being affected by the storm are all safe.

erm... hostile much?

I was just commenting that it's lovely and sunny where I am, similar to what the weatherman said it would be like... (I'm in the middle of the 'mainland' by the way (Midlands)

Anyhoo - hope you folks being affected by the storm are all safe.

why do i bother trying to be polite... but i agree this point is at a dead end.
    edited September 2018
    why do i bother trying to be polite... but i agree this point is at a dead end.
    and yet you can only think about your little corner as an example?

That's not really considered polite where I come from Mirror, but I appreciate people come from different cultures and backgrounds. Thank you if you where trying however.
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    North West England here, it's cloudy and windy where I am
    Post edited by theraven2378 on
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
      @mirrorchaos it is worth remembering that what Americans might call a 'small corner' of the UK is, to us, quite a large area. For example, East Anglia (a region about the same size as Wales) is stonking hot without a cloud in sight.

Britain is a small country. We have a different sense of scale.

(If you are British, disregard.)
      ryan218 wrote: »
      @mirrorchaos it is worth remembering that what Americans might call a 'small corner' of the UK is, to us, quite a large area. For example, East Anglia (a region about the same size as Wales) is stonking hot without a cloud in sight.

Yep, it could really sweltering down in Southern England and be lashing it down with rain up in the North of England.
      NMXb2ph.png
        "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
        edited September 2018

Yep, it could really sweltering down in Southern England and be lashing it down with rain up in the North of England.

True, it's boiling hot here in the Midlands - meanwhile my poor mum in Liverpool has Drizzle (but still a warm 22c). UK Weather is a funny old thing, probably why we talk about it so much lol. (Infact only last week it was raining near our business where my wife works, meanwhile where I was working from home (just a mile away) it was dry and sunny!)
        edited September 2018
        With the late spring and summer we've had, storm season should get interesting.
        NMXb2ph.png
        • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
          Does everything that mentions the weather have to involve the British Isles? We must have other things to discuss by now surely pig-2.gif.​​
          22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
          Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
          JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
          'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
          'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
          '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
          'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
          '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
        • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
          > @artan42 said:
          > Does everything that mentions the weather have to involve the British Isles? We must have other things to discuss by now surely .​​

Unfortunately, those other topics involve politics. :p
        • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
          But because I have no sense of irony I'll join in...

There's no such thing. There's an official one (The Met Office) and the official Irish one (The Met Éireann) but if you're getting your weather from the BBC or ITV they now use MeteoGroup, a global company.
          Most of their data comes from the European Centre for Medium Range Weather Forecasts which supplies most of Europe.

The British Isles are highly complex geographically speaking for such a small area. For generalised weather forecasts for the Isles as a whole, the most pessimistic weather is usually confined to Ireland and Scotland due to their exposure to the west, but as it will still affect England it's usually counted as blanket coverage. Areas of high pressure over the North of England look nice on weather maps, but they seldom zoom in far enough to show that the Pennines will mean completely different weather between Yorkshire and Lancashire.

The major 'inaccuracies recently' (I'm hypothesising here as you've not provided evidence for this claim) will be down to instabilities and variability in global weather patterns which get more changeable every year. However none of that is the fault or responsibility of the met centres of the British Isles.​​
          22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
          Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
          JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
          'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
          'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
          '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
          'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
          '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
        • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
          ryan218 wrote: »

I can vouch. The entire island of Britain is 93,628 square miles. North Carolina by itself is over half that size (somewhere north of 53,000 sq mi). But the London area by itself has close to 90% of the population of North Carolina.
          "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
          — Sabaton, "Great War"
          VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
          edited September 2018
          I don't even know what this is about. it seems like someone has deliberately taken something out of context just for an arguement. you do as you want, it has nothing to do with me.

Edit: i would off topic myself in reactions, but i can't do this.
          edited September 2018
          Edit: Removed as I feel some people here may be facing issues, that I don't want to exacerbate further.
          Post edited by equinox976 on
          edited September 2018
          Getting back to the point with the UK. my doubts have been validated.

A large weather front has hit the country and the one i warned about a few days ago. now that tiny corner of the UK isn't isolated any more from warm weather. strong winds across the country, the expected zone of where it was to hit is also confirmed. some travel services have been delayed, cancelled or otherwise rerouted and already one confirmed death.

no more balmy 25'c temps any more in isolated zones in the uk. My final word on this.
          Two confirmed so far in the UK
          NMXb2ph.png
            edited September 2018
            Double post
            Post edited by equinox976 on
            edited September 2018
            Getting back to the point with the UK. my doubts have been validated.

Glad you're feeling validated. But you where still wrong. It did reach 25 degrees and it was sunny in large swathes of the UK on the day that it was forecast. It's ok to admit you are wrong sometimes lol.

I'm glad to hear we have had your final words on the matter however.