test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Stack ofspecialization points

sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
Currently, my main has 16 specialization points, all the spec trees are filled. Each time, that I earn a new spec point, it is not added to the pile. what happens to the xp earnt? and why, the spec points are not added to the pile?

Comments

• iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    From what I understand, once you have filled all the spec trees, any further spec points are then converted into Dilithium.

No idea how you have 16 extra. Perhaps they are from Featured Episode reward boxes and those don't count? I really have no clue.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    You get 2,880 Dilitium in place of the Spec Point once you are full. I assume those Spec points are not Inventory Items, so if you have 16 on that Character in the UI pool that is your current 'zero' base. What I mean is that before they began not letting you accumulate more than max Spec Points you were 16 above full. That became your 'zero' point.

If a new Specialization is released you can immediately spend those 16 Points on that Spec. When you earn Spec Points after a new Spec releases you can fill that Specialization completely and go beyond by 16 Points. After that you will gain no more Points but will get the Dilitium.

If the next Specialization is released and you have less than 16 extra (say 3) that 3 then becomes your 'zero' point base and earned Points above 3 after you completely fill in that new Specialization will award Dilitium instead.

I hope that was not confusing.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    ok. so, i can earn dil only if I have 16 spec points stored? it is unfair lol.
    You always earn Dilitium from the results of successful Admiralty Assignments that list a Dilitium Reward. You also earn 30,000 Dilitium for the 10 of 10 KDF and Ferengi Admiralty Campaign Assignments.

You only start earning that 2,880 Dilitium in place of Spec Points once all Specializations are completely filled. Currently that is 198 Points.

You can always 'store' boxed Spec Points that are awarded for things like Featured Episodes, just don't open them if you don't need the Spec Point at this time.

16 is YOUR zero base now. If you don't want that high a zero base after the next Specialization is introduced, basically you will have to stop playing that Character after that new Specialization is filled in until the next Specialization after that is introduced. From that point on your zero base is zero and after that Specialization is filled in you will begin getting that 2,880 Dilitium per Spec Point.

Just a note. When you are at max Spec Points, the Federation Admiralty Campaign 10 of 10 Assignment will NOT award 2 Spec Points but 5,760 Dilitium instead. It seems a bit of a rip off at that stage in comparison with the 30,000 Dilitium awarded by the 10 of 10 for the KDF or Ferengi Campaigns.

Personally, given how much Dilitium is thrown at us in this game, I would rather bank Spec Points for later to speed up completion of a new Specialization.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    ok, ty thx for the explanation.
    16 is YOUR zero base now. If you don't want that high a zero base after the next Specialization is introduced, basically you will have to stop playing that Character after that new Specialization is filled in until the next Specialization after that is introduced. From that point on your zero base is zero and after that Specialization is filled in you will begin getting that 2,880 Dilitium per Spec Point.

impossible, she is my main and favorite character. Now, i know why I have 16 points stored. :)

yes, my main has already a ton of dil. curiosity was the motivation of my question :p
  • ffttfftt Member Posts: 715 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    I may be mistaken* but I think it came about like this:

Originally spec points past the maximum (all specializations completed) were converted to 2.8k ore. That was changed so that spec points could instead be accumulated. The points were then later changed back to the 2.8k ore conversion instead of accumulating *BUT* the points players had already accumulated during that in between time were not converted, effectively increasing the amount of spendable specialization points even though there was nothing to spend them on without the next released specialization. The part that ties in to ltminns' zero base idea is that points earned above the spendable specialization points are now converted to ore, but that number is not the same for players who managed to accumulate points during the in between time which would explain why he emphasized YOUR zero base. My main has 28 unspent points (with all current specializations maxed) so when the next specialization comes out I'm pretty much done with it. Assuming I complete it any new points will go back in to my unspent pool until 28 is reached after which they will be converted into ore again. If, for some reason, I decided to pass on the specialization my unspent pool could potentially reach 58 points before conversion resumes.

*For some reason I seem to remember there being three transitions instead of two where we accumulated, converted, accumulated, and converted but the number of transitions isn't that important.
    The first conversion from Dilitium to Spec Points occurred soon after the concept of Specializations was released after Delta Rising released. Based upon the infamous Japori 'exploit' where people maxed out Spec Points within a day or so and began piling up the Dilitium, Gecko punished people, many wrongly, and went to letting people accumulate Spec Points and Dilitium could never be earned after maxing Spec Points.

Then they realized that people could max a Specialization right after it released so they began awarding Dilitium again as the 'exploit' was closed. Only certain people could accumulate more based upon their zero point.

I have a Character at 27.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • charon83charon83 Member Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    Talking about the zero point system, i would always advice to keep it as HIGH as possible to max out any new specialization that comes along, right now my main sits at 20 (+2 with a 10/10 fed admirality mission once a new spec hits), and the 3k dil you get afterward really isn't worth it. Klingon/Ferengi admirality are the best sources for Dilithium other than creating blanket characters and use your account unlock to max X amount of reputation then converting it and start over (if you have the time and resource to do it consistently).

While at first it seems like its a good boost for your dil, it really isn't there are other and better sources for it and specialization points will always be needed in some shape or form.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    Before the last new spec, I had 33 spec points in my 'bank'. If we max out at 16 now, they obviously don't want people having an entire full tree of 30 just waiting for the next spec.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    Well, sounds like having old toons is a plus! ;)
    indeed, it is a 2012 toon :p