test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The prime and kelvin timeline to be merged into something new?

vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
edited September 2018 in Ten Forward
I just watched this podcast:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLl17YXrAZY

They talk about the direction of the new Picard series and the francise -

What do you think?

I appologize if this has been discussed elsewhere
tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

Comments

• Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Since there aren't even scripts for the new show yet I suspect this is baseless speculation and fearmongering as always?
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    It's one of them wait and see what is announced officially
    My two EC
    Post edited by theraven2378 on
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
      You can't merge them. It's a timeline. You'd only be able to go back in time and prevent the destruction of the Kelvin in the first place.​​
      22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
      Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
      JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
      'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
      'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
      '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
      'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
      '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    • Options
      markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
      angrytarg wrote: »
      Since there aren't even scripts for the new show yet I suspect this is baseless speculation and fearmongering as always?
      Well, it's a Midnight's Edge video, so yeah....
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing
      Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    • Options
      rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
      So... the same guy who's basically crying "DOOOOOOOOM" on CBS?
      db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
      I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
      The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    • Options
      iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
      angrytarg wrote: »
      Well, it's a Midnight's Edge video, so yeah....

Beat me to it.
      Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
    • Options
      starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
      It can be argued that with the amount of time travel in Enterprise, Discovery is in a different timeline from the Prime Timeline that TOS, TNG, DS9, and Voyager existed in. However, there would only be some differences between the two timelines and nothing as drastic as the Kelvin movies. After all, killing 7 million people during the Xindi attack when it didn't happen in the original timeline would certainly change the timeline, but not as much as destroying Vulcan.

Merging realities together would require some cataclysmic event like DC's Infinite Crisis. So if Q or someone as powerful as him decide to merge realities together, then they could do it. However, Star Trek is not as bloated as DC was to require such a drastic change.
    • Options
      We don't know it didn't happen in the "original" timeline because it was a prequel. Meant to show events before the Original Series. A LOT of things happen in prequels that aren't mentioned in "later periods". Why? Because it wasn't written when the "later periods" were shown. So it is impossible to reference some things in a prequel before the prequel happened.

Using the Xindi attack... it was probably one of the driving forces that lead to Starfleet being more of a powerhouse than they showed at the start of Enterprise. Pushed the development of weapons, like the Photonic Torpedo to replace Spatial Torpedos, which would later enable Starfleet to be a surprisingly resiliant force in the Earth-Romulan War.

MAJOR events like Star Trek's Earth-Romulan War or Star Wars' Clone Wars can be referenced or fleshed out more, as we saw in the case of Star Wars. But DETAILS are what we lacked before these prequels took place.

First... lets look at Star Trek.
      We know the Earth-Romulan War happened. We know Starfleet never actually SAW a Romulan until the TOS era. We don't know what kinds of ships or weapons were used. And before someone mentions the line about Nukes... even Photonic Torpedos probably make them look like firecrackers. Its possible that there was some creative use of nuclear detonations to utilize EMP like in Star Trek Legacy, but as actual weapons of war... they're outclassed by the 22nd Century. It was never said what kind of ships existed during the war. Now we know that at least the NX and perhaps Intrepid type was involved, and maybe derivative designs like Star Trek Legacy's Posidon class as well.

Now lets look at Star Wars.
      Other than knowing that before the rise of the Empire there was an event called the Clone Wars, we knew nothing.
      Now thanks to the prequel movies, we know how the Clone Wars started, who and what was involved, and what happened.

So respectfully... saying that Enterprise, and in turn Discovery, didn't happen in the Prime Timeline because X was never referenced in Y is not a solid foundation for an argument.

TOS followed the adventures of a single starship. One starship, in a vast universe. Its almost like saying DS9 or Voyager aren't Prime Universe because their events weren't referenced by each other or TNG. While crossover events did happen since one or the other were running concurrently with another... they're still independant of each other.

Enterprise followed the adventures of the NX-01 Enterprise. Discovery follows the adventures of the USS Discovery. All independant of any other ship, and therefor don't have to worry about impacting any events that concern certain ships in canon. In Discovery's case while Enterprise is somewhat involved now with season 2... it is still in a period of time between the events at Talos IV and when Kirk takes command. A period of time we have nothing on in terms of canon events. Therefore... wide open for stories as long as it still allows for ships and/or characters to still be available in "later events". Just like if they decided to fill in that massive gap between the first part of Generations and TNG season 1.

[/soapbox]
      db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
      I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
      The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    • Options
      Except there is one problem with putting the time travel of Enterprise before TOS, the events of First Contact preceding the Regeneration episode of Enterprise. Remove that one episode in Enterprise and there is no way to know if Daniels came from the timeline of TOS, TNG, DS9, and Voyager or a timeline preceding it.
    • Options
      vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
      artan42 wrote: »
      You can't merge them. It's a timeline. You'd only be able to go back in time and prevent the destruction of the Kelvin in the first place.​​

Isn't there somekind of time travel with Kirk going back and meeting his father in the 4th movie?

tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• Options
      legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
      michael chabon? i have a book with that name on it...that cannot possibly be a coincidence​​
      Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
      An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
      A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
      A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
      "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
      Passion and Serenity are one.
      I gain power by understanding both.
      In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
      I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
      The Force is united within me.
    • Options

Isn't there somekind of time travel with Kirk going back and meeting his father in the 4th movie?

Still kinda speculation right now.
    • Options
      edited September 2018

That was the supposed plan until the problem with Chris Pine and Chris Hemsworth were having financial issues with Paramount. I guess it is tough to go back to Star Trek salaries when they have a taste of being a major character in the MCU. Chris Pine was Wonder Woman's love interest while Chris Hemsworth is Thor.
    • Options
      Also I think Karl Urban and Simon Pegg.
    • Options
      artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
      starkaos wrote: »
      It can be argued that with the amount of time travel in Enterprise, Discovery is in a different timeline from the Prime Timeline that TOS, TNG, DS9, and Voyager existed in. However, there would only be some differences between the two timelines and nothing as drastic as the Kelvin movies. After all, killing 7 million people during the Xindi attack when it didn't happen in the original timeline would certainly change the timeline, but not as much as destroying Vulcan.

No it can't.

ENT takes place in the same timeline as TOS as does DSC. That's CBS' decision not yours. You have to adapt your headcanon to work out how.

And even narratively you're still wrong. From the second the Enterprise breaks the 'Time Warp barrier' in 'The Cage' there has been time travel and every instance since will have an effect. Time dosn't recognise severity of impacts, only impacts. It dosn't matter if it's a rock or a mountain blocking one path in the fork in the road you still have to change path.

7 million people dying or two whales living are identical in terms of changing events (or would be if you had a scrap of proof the Xindi attack didn't happen in TOS' past) so pretending that ENT is some superspecial awesome get out clause for refusing to accept DSC is just as fond of retcons as TOS was for itself is stupid narratively and meta-narratively.

At some points we know new timelines are created (Survival of the Enterprise C, destruction of the Kelvin, the Voyager getting home late etc.) but these are pointed out as they are not the normal effects of time travel (if they were they would have just cloned some whales or something, or asked a passing Xindi Aquatic for help).​​
      22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
      Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
      JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
      'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
      'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
      '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
      'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
      '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    • Options
      ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
      Point of order: who says Daniels' future is the Prime Universe future? For all we the viewers know the change in Daniels' timeline may have been responsible for creating the Prime Universe!

'Maybe I don't give a damn about your past, because your past is my future, and as far as I'm concerned, it hasn't been written yet!'
    • Options
      ryan218 wrote: »
      Point of order: who says Daniels' future is the Prime Universe future? For all we the viewers know the change in Daniels' timeline may have been responsible for creating the Prime Universe!

'Maybe I don't give a damn about your past, because your past is my future, and as far as I'm concerned, it hasn't been written yet!'

Aside from First Contact happening before Regeneration, it does make sense if the Prime Timeline is not the original Timeline.
      starkaos wrote: »

No it can't.

ENT takes place in the same timeline as TOS as does DSC. That's CBS' decision not yours. You have to adapt your headcanon to work out how.

And even narratively you're still wrong. From the second the Enterprise breaks the 'Time Warp barrier' in 'The Cage' there has been time travel and every instance since will have an effect. Time dosn't recognise severity of impacts, only impacts. It dosn't matter if it's a rock or a mountain blocking one path in the fork in the road you still have to change path.

At some points we know new timelines are created (Survival of the Enterprise C, destruction of the Kelvin, the Voyager getting home late etc.) but these are pointed out as they are not the normal effects of time travel (if they were they would have just cloned some whales or something, or asked a passing Xindi Aquatic for help).​​

I have stated numerous times that the timeline in the first few episodes of TOS is not the same timeline as Nemesis since changing the past changes the present. However, severity does matter. The events of City at the Edge of Forever will not have much effect since encountering a crazy person would not have as much of an effect as introducing technology decades earlier.
      7 million people dying or two whales living are identical in terms of changing events (or would be if you had a scrap of proof the Xindi attack didn't happen in TOS' past) so pretending that ENT is some superspecial awesome get out clause for refusing to accept DSC is just as fond of retcons as TOS was for itself is stupid narratively and meta-narratively.

That doesn't make any sense. 7 million being killed that weren't supposed to die has less of an impact than destroying one ship (Star Trek 2009)? There is no proof that the Xindi attack happened or didn't happen in TOS' past. I am willing to believe that Daniels' comes from an original timeline that is replaced by the 'Prime Timeline' than to believe the idiotic concept that the timeline stays the same with all the time travel in Enterprise.

There is only two possible options, either TOS is the result of the time travel mess in Enterprise and the original timeline has been erased or the timeline of TOS has been erased and replaced by a new timeline. There is no difference in the level of impact in the survival of the Enterprise-C, destruction of the USS Kelvin, Voyager getting home early, or the Xindi attack. Since the three you listed created a new timeline, then the Xindi attack created a new timeline as well. If you want to argue that the Xindi attack didn't create a new timeline, then you have to determine what is different between the Xindi attack and the other three incidents. All four involve time travel and cause significant changes to the timeline.