test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] Random Task Force Operations!

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,673 Community Manager
Starting with the launch of #AgeofDiscovery, you'll be able to be matched into a Random Task Force Operation, and earn extra Marks and Dilithium in addition to the TFO rewards!

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10994033

Comments

• szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    It is a good idea that hopefully is going to revive older queues (TFOs I mean ;) ). But, more marks? More dilithium? I wish you had been a little bit more creative when it comes to rewards for random TFOs. A new space and ground set, or space/ground weapons that cannot be obtained otherwise. Something unique instead of the same old generic marks/dilithium rewards...
  • allyoftheforceallyoftheforce Member Posts: 735 Arc User
    Ugh, why? RNG is awful. I won't be participating in it. You do realize people avoid certain content because they just don't care or want to? I'll live with waiting in a QUEUE for my chosen content to start. Even if it is several minutes.
  • kyle223catkyle223cat Member Posts: 584 Arc User
    This sounds interesting. I’ll gladly give it a try.
    da84303d8bc4080b9860968f634f98682215bbe5.gifv
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Funny pictures. Thumbs up.

An interesting idea I read from the German Board: Would it be possible to keep the "PUG"s together for multiple missions? THis would help making new friends, and increases motivation to work well together. (Of course, there must be a way to leave it, you don't want to be forced to keep playing with an AFKer or someone that is constantly berating people for "suboptimal" builds or whatever.)

Other than that, 2 concerns:
    - I am not sure that more Marks and Dilithium are sufficient motivator. A Red Alert or a Infected Advanced Space Task Force might still get you better reward/time.
    At minimum I would recommend a way to add Elite Marks. But maybe Random Task Force needs its own special currency that you can use to buy more exclusive items. Maybe something to be converted into a Phoenix Prize Pack, Elite Mark or Event Reputation Store. (Even if that special reward is only given once per day and account or character).
    - Ground and Space together could be a big turn-off for many. Especally since specializations and active reputation traits still are not 100 % seperated in ground and space. You could end up with a space only specialization build on ground., for example.

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    Ugh, why? RNG is awful. I won't be participating in it. You do realize people avoid certain content because they just don't care or want to? I'll live with waiting in a QUEUE for my chosen content to start. Even if it is several minutes.

You're going to profit from it either way. Say you want to play Counterpoint. After queuing for it your team will be completed with players who have queued for random TFOs. So, whatever queue you're chosing, it's most likely going to start after only a few minutes.
  • captpatrick01captpatrick01 Member Posts: 27 Arc User

An interesting idea I read from the German Board: Would it be possible to keep the "PUG"s together for multiple missions? THis would help making new friends, and increases motivation to work well together. (Of course, there must be a way to leave it, you don't want to be forced to keep playing with an AFKer or someone that is constantly berating people for "suboptimal" builds or whatever.)

Other than that, 2 concerns:
    - I am not sure that more Marks and Dilithium are sufficient motivator. A Red Alert or a Infected Advanced Space Task Force might still get you better reward/time.
    At minimum I would recommend a way to add Elite Marks. But maybe Random Task Force needs its own special currency that you can use to buy more exclusive items. Maybe something to be converted into a Phoenix Prize Pack, Elite Mark or Event Reputation Store. (Even if that special reward is only given once per day and account or character).
    - Ground and Space together could be a big turn-off for many. Especally since specializations and active reputation traits still are not 100 % seperated in ground and space. You could end up with a space only specialization build on ground., for example.

I think I found a potential issue: "Each set of Randoms (Normal and Advanced) includes matches from both Space and Ground."

I cannot speak for everyone (and would not be so arrogant to do so), but most players I've encountered have absolutely zero interest in Ground queues / STFs / FTOs / whatever you want to call them. And I've been playing since launch.

There are exceptions, of course, but I won't be using this new system. I'd rather stick a fork in my eye than end up stuck in a Ground queue / STF / TFO / whatever you want to call them.

I agree. Before this new system is released. There needs to be an option to choose whether you want a pool of Space PvEs or Ground PvEs. After all, it takes over a minute to get all the gear and traits switched up between them. Time spent by other players tapping their heels and looking at their watches...
  • unotetsuunotetsu Member Posts: 660 Arc User
    You had me at

e1b35eac680eb209280f5f938292c6ef1535753971.png

"Hello Sexy!"

SOLD!
    I must warn you, I am quite Isane! I am Grand Duchess of the Abh Empire: Beneej Letopanyu Spoor!
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    OMG, please remove PVP from the system or otherwise it will be dead on arrival.

Misread the article. Fortunately no PVP included.
    It's a pity that the competitive queues are not there. Those deserve to be played.
    Post edited by questerius on
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    I hope missions that require an EV suit are excluded. Not everyone has one. If nothing else have a crate of them at the enterance.

Assault on Terok Nor would be bad. Even if someone knows how to do the consoles, it can be killed by anyone who does not know and is randomly clicking consoles.

Undine Infiltration has too high of a chance to randomly fail.

There are reasons why certain missions are not played.
  • bridgernbridgern Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    I hope this means we will be able to select Ground and Space Active Reputation, and Specialization separately now.
    Bridger.png
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    OK, feedback so far:

Pros:
    -The funny pics

Cons:
    -The rest

Seriously, this is one big blog with lots of "cool" buzzwords and pics just to say:
    "we renamed the queues, added a RNG option for queue choices and yet another RNG for additional identical rewards, please play our queues."
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • yakodymyakodym Member Posts: 362 Arc User
    What excites you, or makes you anxious, about the prospect of opting into Randomized content, and why?
    Which existing TFOs do you hope see more play time under this system, and why?
    Which existing TFOs would you consider yourself ‘unlucky’ to be placed in, and why?

1. There have been times when I just clicked the "join all" button and waited for whatever would pop first, so adding a random queue finder is an ok feature. The only thing I'm worried about is that it mixes space and ground TFOs. When you queue for a specific TFO, you have a control over your traits, and can optimize for ground/space. When the selection is random however, you need to go for a ready-for-anything build. You always have to consider the possibility of having to fight the borg, etc.

2. Just any of them, really. Though it would be really great if Breaking the Planet and Big Dig were changed into 5-man missions so that they could be included in this. Those are actually the only ones that make me think "Boy, I sure do wish these would pop more, because I would like to finally see what they look like".

3. Undine infiltration because bugginess... Borg stfs because of the hit-or-miss nature of people knowing what to do... That's about it.

Hey, while you're at it, would it be possible to make it so that you can do private runs of TFOs in non-standard team sizes again?

I would love a way to get "Paranitritic Shields" from this that are Mk XV Rare or Ultra Rare bound to character. Or any other stuff like efficient shields or Tal Shiar deflector array but maxed to level XV and Ultra rare or gold

I must warn you, I am quite Isane! I am Grand Duchess of the Abh Empire: Beneej Letopanyu Spoor!
  • centurian821centurian821 Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    I'm kinda excited for this. I've been wanting to get into the older TFO's for a while, but there are never enough people queued up.

I would suggest adding things like Assessed Stratagems and the like to the Ultra Rare and Epic level Bonus Rewards depending on the Marks that would be given on the specific queues. To add a little more of an incentive. Gear would be nice, but I feel that would be going too far for the queues that are always present in the game.

And I really do love the idea of opting in to keeping a PUG together for further matches. It would remove a step from the overall process and promote greater team play if people know they could be working with the same players multiple times.
    New Boff award announced for "Random Task" force!

2hft0j.jpg
  • robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    If you are adding borg ground, please add a crate of remodulators in the first room. Not everyone speaks the same language to explain the replicator in the inventory screen.
  • phoenix841phoenix841 Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    edited September 2018

This.

Also, what about queues people join and don't know how to play? In particular the Borg queues require teamwork.
    I've a vet and haven't played probably a third of the existing queues (sorry, TFOs) before.
    LTS Since Beta (Jan 2010).
  • tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    Yeah, as others have said, I don't believe just more marks and dil ore is sufficient motivator. Add a piece of gear (even if only cosmetic) that's unique to a map, or upgrades that won't require dil, maybe also accolades/titles, why not even refined dil (even if it's fleet only). Frankly, to me right now most valuable reward from PvEs is R&D material box.

And yes, ability to choose between space, ground and both needs to be added.

Also, why no elite rotation?

PS. Are we able to join random TFO with a team too, or can we just queue up for them solo?
  • storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    How about just calling them RANDOM QUEUES? tiger-32.gif​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    Yeah, as others have said, I don't believe just more marks and dil ore is sufficient motivator. Add a piece of gear (even if only cosmetic) that's unique to a map, or upgrades that won't require dil, maybe also accolades/titles, why not even refined dil (even if it's fleet only). Frankly, to me right now most valuable reward from PvEs is R&D material box.

And yes, ability to choose between space, ground and both needs to be added.

Also, why no elite rotation?

I echo these thoughts.. the system seems reliant on people being willing to queue for random. I like the idea of giving extra incentives to queue random, I just share the concern that marks and dilithium won't be enough.

Cosmetic items are a big motivator, even if it was just a random chance.. just something more to get people into those randoms. I like the idea overall, but if people don't queue random then it kind of loses it's luster.

I would also really like to know if we can still queue with pre-made teams. My fleet likes to do this regularly and it's important that this option remain.

Thanks.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • tobiashirttobiashirt Member Posts: 630 Arc User
    Only thing that sticks out right away is that the amount of bonus is random, rather than based on optionals or as a fixed amount depending on the difficulty.

I could get lucky and only have to run a few random TFOs to get enough marks for a piece of gear, or I could have to run a dozen.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    azrael605 wrote: »
    It works for Neverwinter.

This. It's a small bonus that introduces a core feature of many queued/matchmaking systems. Ie. game-directed random choice breaking up the one or two fan favorites that would otherwise dominate the system.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    Sounds interesting, let's see how it goes.

Love the pictures, by the way. ;)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • cristonic2cristonic2 Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    I miss the Original (hard as can be) STFs. They required extreme team work and more importantly, time wasn't as much of a factor as making sure you did everything perfectly right. YTes, they were long and if scaled up to the standards of the weapons and skills we have now, I doubt a third of the player base could run them on normal level, much less the old VA level. They also were the basis on which many fleets were formed, as you always wanted to join a fleet that could run them well. Friendships were made as you were required to form the team before you entered the system. But, the biggest part of them was flying through space showing off a ship set that required you run the hardest end game content I have ever played in my lifetime of MMOs. Anyone that had the complete set felt pride that not only had they completed all the STFs, but felt as if they had really earned the rewards they had. also, the side rewards were really cool, like the Borg Science officer. It required more than just clicking your mouse after running an event to get it, it required team work and timing. No, it wasn't easy, but again, that was why fleets were so large back then, you joined fleets that could help you get all those special rewards like that one. I want someing like that again, something that challenges me and the team I am on, no just with stupid high HP and damage, but where you have to work together and work hard to get through them. The pods in the cure are a good example, you had to avoid aggroing the elites while disabling the pods. you had to keep the repair drones from fixing them all while having to avoid getting to close or worse, Hitting an elites tac drone. That was by far the thing that made me leve FOUR others MMOs and play STO full time. Also, being that all the old STFs were BOTH space and Ground missions (all in one), and traits were locked, it was the most fun end game content I have played in my fifty years on this world.
  • tritan2409tritan2409 Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    Firstly awesome pics, many lols.

What would make me anxious : Not knowing what im getting myself into. I get it, its supposed to be that way, but id hate to get into a situation where im not prepared and the weak link in the team because of it.

What would I consider being "unlucky" to be in : That Undine assault. Takes aaaages to get anywhere in that if you have a slightly wonky team.

Deal breaker : Both Space and Ground are included. Sorry, I don't "do" ground unless its unavoidable story stuff. I'd be a liability to any team so would avoid like the plague. If it stays this way, I wouldn't use the feature full stop.

Otherwise not a bad idea. :)
  • entnx01entnx01 Member Posts: 545 Arc User
    1) The random rewards seem bad. You might as well say, "You're guaranteed an extra 50 Marks and 500 Dilithium, and good luck with extras of each." From that perspective, 50 extra Marks may not be enough to sway players to do a random queue. As well, 500 Diltihium also feels low, considering how much Dilithium is needed in the game.

2) The random TFO being either space or ground, whichever comes first, seems bad. Other games don't have this issue because they don't separate their combat types; they're usually all ground or all space. STO is fairly unique in that respect. The randoms need to be separated as "random Space TFO" and "random Ground TFO."

3) You've added Salvage as a currency type, but we've got no real way to earn it aside from destroying gear. Consider giving a decent amount of Salvage per random TFO, maybe equivalent to a few Mk X+ items' scrap values?

I think the idea is great in principle. I think the execution could use some help.
  • sirsinjinsirsinjin Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    unotetsu wrote: »
    New Boff award announced for "Random Task" force!

2hft0j.jpg

I had to login just for this. This made my day. :)
  • nikolunusnikolunus Member Posts: 162 Arc User
    I would like to see gear (character locked) that could possibly be rewarded from the diffrent taskforces. Vanity Items, weapons and ship gear. Like a good Exsample: a very rare chance on Borg space opperation to get a Borg Plasma Tractor Beam array. A weapon with an automatic speed debuf per pulse while applying a slightly higher than normal plasma DoT. Not an outright super weapon but something that could to play around with. Another exsample would be something like a Tholian crystaline ground weapon, simular to what they are always pelting you with on ground missions. Give it a proc chance for a weaker tholian web snare. I know it would be a bit of a long task to design and impliment unique rewards per task force opperation but it would give the player base more temptation to go back and replay ones they dont like or that are harder to complete.
    Space is vast, it's wonderful and maddening. Yet in that madness is some of the greatest beauty I have ever seen.