What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Dev Streamlining

2»

Comments

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    And to keep it from exploding when it comes into contact with normal matter...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Phasers were used at warp all the time in TOS. For an easy to find example, the Doleman of Elas. Kirk's specific orders to Sulu were to "pivot at warp 2" and fire phasers, the Klingon ship in that battle meanwhile was making warp speed strafing runs firing disruptors.

Many people believed that phasers couldn't be used at warp because in TMP Decker, during the warp malfunction wormhole incident, countermanded Kirk's phaser order. They forget that he explained that because the new phaser design routed phaser power through the warp drive the malfunction made them unusable. Had the drive been operating properly there would have been no issue

AFTER TOS, they weren't until Into Darkness.

As you said they were tied into the warp drive. I'm fully aware of that and was not going to cite that as a reason. I'm citing the fact that other than TOS and Into Darkness, all battles have been sublight.

Torpedo speed can be affected by ship speed, as it is a physical warhead. Energy weapons, on the other hand... I can't see them being affected in the same way because its energy.

And honestly... Star Trek has contradicted itself many times in its existance. ESPECIALLY in TOS where in one episode the Enterprise hit Warp 14 on her own, while in the next it was impossible.

Things didn't quite start getting more standardized until the TNG era.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    And to keep it from exploding when it comes into contact with normal matter...

You just need to keep it from coming into contact with normal matter.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.