What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ascend to a New Level of Reputation!

12346»

Comments

• bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    casualsto wrote: »
    No fun if you can transfer your marks. The idea is to revitalise the queues.
    Transferrable marks would do more to revitalize queues than non-transferrable marks would, because it means there would actually be useful value to continuing to play. Or, for that matter, doing anything. In the CURRENT state, once I finish a toon, that's it. I could buy equipment...but there would be nothing useful I could accomplish with that playing that toon further.

So it's back to stinking up queues with terrible alts that can't do anything. If I could transfer marks, I would still be have to play the queues, but now I wouldn't be dragging terrible alts that simply flop uselessly around like beached whales.

If I could transfer the marks to someone ELSE, selling them on the Exchange, perhaps, my motivation to continue playing would increase further even after I finish on all my toons.

But completely non-transferrable rewards means that once I've got mine, I'm out. There's no further reason for me to be there and there's no further reason to seek to improve any further as I have nothing to do anymore. The public queuespace thus loses another experienced, potentially well-developed player, and either gains nothing at all, or another dead fish of an alt.

Have to agree. Look at players who have years in the game, many have tens of thousands of Rep Marks on their main, because their gear is maxed out, and STF's are pretty mundane or done for Dil and perhaps helping out fleet mates, but they'll have virtually none on their alts, simply because the daily grind for rep marks is just far too tedious on a poorly equipped alt, even with sponsorship tokens.

It's bad enough levelling ONE toon to Tier 5 in a rep + purchasing all the gear items, let alone doing it for 3, 5, 7 ... more alts.
    ANd with each new episode, it seems Cryptic 'want' you to create alts, such as Delta, TOS, JemH etc.
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
  • tobywitczaktobywitczak Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    Because rewards driving gameplay is rather central to an MMORPG. Players work towards incremental stat bonuses. If no work is involved (see. a few extra marks), then there's no emotional payoff in achievement. Using these tools in gameplay is only part of the equation. Don't leave out the other in this genre because the total amount of effort spent in a game helps retain users via the accompanying sense of investment.

Dont get me wrong, I understand the requirement for the grind, The point I was trying to make is treat the new set as an unlock not a new feature. The way this would work is you get the base gear e.g. Advanced Radiant <Antiproton> Beam Array, which would be same as it is now. Then you can unlock the other variants (Phaser, Disruptor, Plasma, Tetryon, Polaron, Antiproton, Proton, Electrical, FeedbackPulse), either for the same cost or maybe a slight reduction in cost depending on how may unlocks
    you have obtained.

500 Iconian Marks Iconian Marks
    2 Iconian Probe Datacores
    15,000 Refined Dilithium
    30,000 Energy Credits

STO has an item cap for your inventory and banks and the people that would spend the time unlocking this will be the first to run into those caps. Forcing them to choose to discard a set or some other item. However, if they make the sets more flexible (which was already demonstrated in the engineering upgrade) then instead of a new set that takes a new slot, it a simple option when you equip the set.

• ielereielere Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    "Reaching Tier V of any reputation will now automatically sponsor that reputation for your account."

What will happen to reputation sponsorship tokens that have already been created but not yet used?
    Will there be a Tier V project to turn them back into marks?
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    They indicated as much but were not specific on the mechanism.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    yakodym wrote: »
    Level cap expanded. Max item Mk expanded. Reputation level expanded... Coming soon: Tier 5 duty officer progressions, R&D max level expanded to 25, Admiralty max level expanded to 15, Fleet Starbase tier VI...

Well, Kirk was demoted to captain in the movies, but that didn't cause Spock to lose his rank of captain, and Scotty was given the rank of Captain of Engineering when he was posted to the Excelsior (and that rank wasn't taken away for what he'd done to the ship so the Enterprise could make it's getaway; mind you that exposed a catastrophic flaw in the Transwarp Drive which would have saved Star Fleet a lot of credits in the end).

It's not like there wasn't precedent for 'T5 BOffs', so T5 duty officers wouldn't be out of the question.
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    balarick wrote: »
    PLEASE CONSIDER ADDING THIS FEATURE!

Given that you're making sponsorship account-wide upon reaching Tier V, and that some of us create sponsorship tokens in anticipation of making new toons (I have 3 of each, except Gamma, on standby), we should be able to turn in sponsorship tokens to get those marks back! Otherwise, they'll basically become 100-mark lemons that we can't do anything with.

Thanks!

True.

It could be considered a Sponsorship Recall Notice, it could replace the Reputation Sponsorship slot. Even if future players wouldn't have to worry about the sponsorship program being account-wide, there are plenty of players that may return after a long break to find out their hard-earn sponsorship tokens are useless.
  • ucgsquawk#5883 ucgsquawk Member Posts: 279 Arc User
    > @ruinthefun said:
    > casualsto wrote: »
    >
    > No fun if you can transfer your marks. The idea is to revitalise the queues.
    >
    >
    >
    > Transferrable marks would do more to revitalize queues than non-transferrable marks would, because it means there would actually be useful value to continuing to play. Or, for that matter, doing anything. In the CURRENT state, once I finish a toon, that's it. I could buy equipment...but there would be nothing useful I could accomplish with that playing that toon further.
    >
    > So it's back to stinking up queues with terrible alts that can't do anything. If I could transfer marks, I would still be have to play the queues, but now I wouldn't be dragging terrible alts that simply flop uselessly around like beached whales.
    >
    > If I could transfer the marks to someone ELSE, selling them on the Exchange, perhaps, my motivation to continue playing would increase further even after I finish on all my toons.
    >
    > But completely non-transferrable rewards means that once I've got mine, I'm out. There's no further reason for me to be there and there's no further reason to seek to improve any further as I have nothing to do anymore. The public queuespace thus loses another experienced, potentially well-developed player, and either gains nothing at all, or another dead fish of an alt.

Or you could play for fun?
    Isn't that why you play the game? Because it's enjoyable? If you find it tedious without your main character (you could always work on improving the 'useless' alts of course) then there's another issue than the marks.

If you don't want to play the alts to build them up to be their own high powered chars, maybe even in completely different styles...then just play the main for fun...problem solved?
  • ucgsquawk#5883 ucgsquawk Member Posts: 279 Arc User
    I started a couple of random new characters recently when I got the cardassian ships and a ferengi marauder, started from scratch ran them up to 65, put a bunch of of faction only weapons and equipment on them (and an all ferengi crew for the marauder with the away team just the four ferengi holograms) and even with mk XII purple equipment (mostly) and no rep equip yet...they're perfectly viable in regular queues while I build them up...in fact they can be surprisingly effective and rather silly fun.

I found building to a theme (I have a Borg romulan captain with all Borg crew, I have a gorn with all gorn crew, an orion pirate with all orion slave girl crew entirely equipped with melee weapons...that's just fun to watch in a fight)...and yes it takes a long time to build them up to the point I'd put them in an advanced mission, but I get the fun of getting them there through the missions and regular queues.

Fun is what you make it...
    I'm not sure I get the 'Ascension' part. Usually that means you are carried up to Heaven, and not grinding your way through Hel*. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    Well first build of this Tier 6 on Tribble requires 30 days to go from Tier 5 to Tier 6 SPONSORED. 250K total points to finish your Ascension.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    Well first build of this Tier 6 on Tribble requires 30 days to go from Tier 5 to Tier 6 SPONSORED. 250K total points to finish your Ascension.

so at T5 you need 100k... and extra 150% of that to reach 250k. 30 days at 5K, and you need 900 marks. so you need to do that on each toon, since each toon needs to hit T6. Cause the only thing that is unlocked for the account is being sponsored... which at this point is moot since all toons have it sponsored already. This really only effects new toons you make after this.

• solidshark214solidshark214 Member Posts: 341 Arc User
    So... the blog states that when you reach "Tier V" of a reputation with any character, that's now supposed to grant sponsorship account-wide. Is that just a typo, or should I be submitting a bug report? Because my new Age of Discovery character is getting the non-sponsored rate of rep growth, despite having reached Tier V with other characters.

I'd really like some clarification here if this is a bug or the initial announcement just had a typo.