test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Looking for the current meta build and some ideas for a fun build

rebel230rebel230 Member Posts: 90 Arc User
I am trying to set myself up for the next upgrade weekend on PC. I have the following characters that I try to build with a "canon" ship and build or close that is both effective and fun. After about a 9 month break I am back and working on the gamma, Lukari and competitive reps and see some of my build are a bit outdated or they have added some new stuff I want to set up.

New Dominion VG 65 engineer in Dom VG carrier
Romulan 65 sci in Temporal T6 classic Romulan bop
Fed 65 tac in new walker class
ToS 65 sci in atlas temporal dread
KDF 65 tac in Dsc sarcophagus ship

I try to build them close to accurately, so the dsc walker and sarch will use dsc weapons, the ToS ship will use ToS era phasers and photons, etc etc. I do want to get a set of the Wrath of khan phasers and upgrade them for my ToS fed who also has the ToS T6 connie with the updated 1701 A skin, plus I have the T6 miranda which I love.

Anyway, I do either a sci torp boat build or a standard energy weapon/ torp build and wanted to know currently what is the meta for each as far as the space sets, (def, impulse, warp, shield, singularity) and also what are some maybe not meta but solid 3-4 pc sets I can use that maybe provide a fun skill for using the full set. I do like to use some sets and also the fun epic consoles in my ships like the torp platform, or phaser turret console, cardi support platform, stuff like that.

I would like to get the items I don't have yet before the next upgrade weekend, so its marks, or running a mission 3 or 4 times to get the pieces of a set etc.

Thank you for any help.

Comments

• tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,636 Arc User
    For primarily energy weapon ships, the current meta for primary set is a Deflector from the Fleet Colony that gives crit hit and damage boost based on hull strength, Fleet Spire Core that reduces energy weapon cost and boosts Power Transfer Rate, Competitive Wargames Engines to get you to the fight faster and cooldown of the triggering category, and usually Competitive Wargames shield (you can sub as the two-piece is minor, usually Iconian subbed in for it's debuff clearing). That should plug in fine with canon builds, if you disable the visuals. Also, Vulnerability Locators matching your energy type from the Fleet Spire.

For DSC canon ships, the Sensor-Linked weapons are among the top weapons right now, each weapon mounted of that type gives you a stat boost that improves your critical damage with weapons. Usually more expensive than the Emitter- and Integrity-Linked variants, though. Emitter Arrays are how they looked in the show and respond to Beam enhancing abilities (like Fire at Will).

TOS Phasers are kinda meh, being on par with normal Phasers. Fleet K13 has Mk XII Ultra-rare. The T1 Constitution class(500Z) has level scaling (to about MK XI) blue TOS Phasers and pull the Phasers off it and dismiss and repeat until you have a full set, then upgrade them from there.

If you want the Polaron effects closest to DS9, you need to repeatedly grab the beam array from the mission 'Boldly They Rode'. Kurland here.

Sci torp builds are usually centered around special torpedoes, which aren't really canon to anything except maybe Voyager (Dyson and 8472 Rep torps are from Voyager). The Ferrofluid console from the Terran Reputation reduces the shared cooldown on torps and has no visuals, so that should go in well.

I'm not sure what weapons the TOS Romulan ship should have.

Mission wise:
    For Disruptors you'll want the Console - Science - Nausicaan Siphon Capacitor from the mission 'Echos of Light'.

For Phasers you'll want the Console - Universal - Quantum Phase Converter from the mission 'Sunrise'.

• seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Quick rundown..

Cannons are better then Beams. Beam builds should use Fire at Will III only, as the power has been nerfed heavily. 2 is ok to use if you have tons of accuracy if you need something while FAW II is on cooldown. FAW I is the same as leaving the station empty.

Aux2Bat has returned to favor after several rounds of nerf to things like the Plasmonic Leech and the addition of the Cold Hearted trait from the Winter Event last year (Aux2Bat is still good even if you don't have that trait.)

Tactical Console slots are still used for Locators in most situation.

CritD and Damage are the best mods for weapons along with Pen.

Console slots are best used for anything that improves damage percentage, critical hit/damage, or grants firing cycle haste.

If you want details on exactly what is best, I suggest you head over to the DPS Leagues build suggestion page. That will give you a full layout of the current 'meta' equipment as well as the best traits and current best skill tree.

Everything you need to know should be there, if you have a specific question, please feel free to ask. Welcome back to STO!
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    To add on topic of sci-torps...

Should you want to focus on sci powers (easier and currently more popular route) - grab Temporal Defense 2pc (common choices are Warp Core + Shields, with Competitive engines and Colony or Solanae deflector). If you want to focus on torps, you probably want 2pc Advanced MACO (and Honor Guard was KDF's version, iirc, the one that gives + 25% torp damage).

For a secondary deflector, definitely choose Deteriorating variant. Then, Research Lab consoles are extremely good to have, as well as Temporal Disentanglement Suite from mission "Butterfly".
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited August 2018

Should you want to focus on sci powers (easier and currently more popular route) - grab Temporal Defense 2pc (common choices are Warp Core + Shields, with Competitive engines and Colony or Solanae deflector). If you want to focus on torps, you probably want 2pc Advanced MACO (and Honor Guard was KDF's version, iirc, the one that gives + 25% torp damage).

For a secondary deflector, definitely choose Deteriorating variant. Then, Research Lab consoles are extremely good to have, as well as Temporal Disentanglement Suite from mission "Butterfly".

Hey tune 2 questions that are only semi related but where I don’t have any better place to ask. :)

- On my pure kinetic build I went the photon torpedo path which I don’t regret. On my sci epg with (un-buffed) torps which ones would you consider the 4 best to choose?

I take it particle emission plasma and gravimetric as they get tuned with epg but what would be the 3rd and the 4th? DPS league recommends romulan hyper plasma, I often see neutronic and there are rumors about some very strong one from lobi. Delphic I think? So which to pick?

- On the HSE runs we 3-maned with Zooey yesterday I got increasingly annoyed with the way beams fall behind cannons and exotics so I made the hopefully not too hasty decision to get a set of cannons for my tank.

Now while I’m certain this will get me more DPS I just begin to worry that it will hurt the purpose of tanking a bit as CSV won’t reach more than 3 targets at the same time. So far the DBB did their job fine as in tagging the foes and getting the aggro just no Idea how this will play out. Take a risk or better sell the cannons again?
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User

Hey tune 2 questions that are only semi related but where I don’t have any better place to ask. :)

- On my pure kinetic build I went the photon torpedo path which I don’t regret. On my sci epg with (un-buffed) torps which ones would you consider the 4 best to choose?

I take it particle emission plasma and gravimetric as they get tuned with epg but what would be the 3rd and the 4th? DPS league recommends romulan hyper plasma, I often see neutronic and there are rumors about some very strong one from lobi. Delphic I think? So which to pick?

- On the HSE runs we 3-maned with Zooey yesterday I got increasingly annoyed with the way beams fall behind cannons and exotics so I made the hopefully not too hasty decision to get a set of cannons for my tank.

Now while I’m certain this will get me more DPS I just begin to worry that it will hurt the purpose of tanking a bit as CSV won’t reach more than 3 targets at the same time. So far the DBB did their job fine as in tagging the foes and getting the aggro just no Idea how this will play out. Take a risk or better sell the cannons again?

1. As you know, I use Terran as my 3rd torp, and as a 4th, I'd probably use Lukari (adv. Piezo-Photon). Of course, there are plenty of other very good torps out there, but I personally would pick those 2, alongside already mentioned Grav and PEP.

2. It depends on a lot of things. Beams with FAW would be safest bet in getting as much aggro from multiple sources as possible, however in our runs where enemies will most likely be usually in our front arcs anyway, it might not matter. And we'd probably kill enemies faster too. So I can't sadly give you any clear answer on that, unless we actually go and try it out.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited August 2018

1. As you know, I use Terran as my 3rd torp, and as a 4th, I'd probably use Lukari (adv. Piezo-Photon). Of course, there are plenty of other very good torps out there, but I personally would pick those 2, alongside already mentioned Grav and PEP.

2. It depends on a lot of things. Beams with FAW would be safest bet in getting as much aggro from multiple sources as possible, however in our runs where enemies will most likely be usually in our front arcs anyway, it might not matter. And we'd probably kill enemies faster too. So I can't sadly give you any clear answer on that, unless we actually go and try it out.

Roger that, well since that toon sticks with DBB anyway and the arc would play rather similar under CSV now lets just give it a shot. If it does not work out however I sent you the bill. :p

As for the torps I was hoping for another answer as i already have them on the kinetic build but could imagine that even among torps there is such a thing a best one to use. Whatever still a few weeks left to finalize anyway till upgrade weekend hits.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • rebel230rebel230 Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    tom61sto wrote: »
    For primarily energy weapon ships, the current meta for primary set is a Deflector from the Fleet Colony that gives crit hit and damage boost based on hull strength, Fleet Spire Core that reduces energy weapon cost and boosts Power Transfer Rate, Competitive Wargames Engines to get you to the fight faster and cooldown of the triggering category, and usually Competitive Wargames shield (you can sub as the two-piece is minor, usually Iconian subbed in for it's debuff clearing). That should plug in fine with canon builds, if you disable the visuals. Also, Vulnerability Locators matching your energy type from the Fleet Spire.

For DSC canon ships, the Sensor-Linked weapons are among the top weapons right now, each weapon mounted of that type gives you a stat boost that improves your critical damage with weapons. Usually more expensive than the Emitter- and Integrity-Linked variants, though. Emitter Arrays are how they looked in the show and respond to Beam enhancing abilities (like Fire at Will).

TOS Phasers are kinda meh, being on par with normal Phasers. Fleet K13 has Mk XII Ultra-rare. The T1 Constitution class(500Z) has level scaling (to about MK XI) blue TOS Phasers and pull the Phasers off it and dismiss and repeat until you have a full set, then upgrade them from there.

If you want the Polaron effects closest to DS9, you need to repeatedly grab the beam array from the mission 'Boldly They Rode'. Kurland here.

Sci torp builds are usually centered around special torpedoes, which aren't really canon to anything except maybe Voyager (Dyson and 8472 Rep torps are from Voyager). The Ferrofluid console from the Terran Reputation reduces the shared cooldown on torps and has no visuals, so that should go in well.

Mission wise:
    For Disruptors you'll want the Console - Science - Nausicaan Siphon Capacitor from the mission 'Echos of Light'.

For Phasers you'll want the Console - Universal - Quantum Phase Converter from the mission 'Sunrise'.

to keep the ToS look on my ToS Atlas dread, could I use the newer diffusive tetryon beams? They look very nice and a good blue. There is also a tetryon set from the competitive rep and also another the anti-chroniton tetryon set. I would lose the proper ToS sound effect but possibly have better weapons?
  • tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,636 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    rebel230 wrote: »
    tom61sto wrote: »

Mission wise:

to keep the ToS look on my ToS Atlas dread, could I use the newer diffusive tetryon beams? They look very nice and a good blue. There is also a tetryon set from the competitive rep and also another the anti-chroniton tetryon set. I would lose the proper ToS sound effect but possibly have better weapons?

There's more Phaser damage boosts than Tetryon boosts, so I wouldn't go with Diffusive Tetryon unless you really don't like the TOS sound. TOS Phasers are decent, just not 'meta' grade. You can still get some decent buffs even without having to swap out weapons. The Atlas' console has a set bonus of +33% Phaser, Disruptor, or Plasma Directed Energy damage for equipping two or more of the following consoles in this set: https://sto.gamepedia.com/Synergistic_Retrofitting_Set The box that has Secondary Shield Projector and Disruption Pulse Emitter is usually fairly cheap for Feds under the 'Reward Packs' section of the Exchange. Do note that all the consoles in that set can be fit on any ship, including the Atlus' DPRM console, so you can fit those to your other ships also on that character. DPRM is decently cheap KDF side via a similar pack, and well worth grabbing it and the Secondary Shield Projector for your Sarcophagus too. Console - Universal – Quantum Phase Converter Mk XII mission reward is fit-able on pretty much any Phaser build which gives +20% Phaser Damage, which can be increased by Upgrading it. There's some others too, but these I can name off the top of my head (and quickly find on STOWiki).
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    rebel230 wrote: »

That's perfectly viable.

My Main runs Tetryon Weapons, I originally picked them many many years ago because I wanted 'blue phasers' and that was not possible at the time so I picked Tetryon and in my head they're 'Tetryon Laced Phasers.'

It is true that there are more boosts for Phasers then there are for Tetryon, but Tetryon is still in a really good place and is a very viable option. I have never used the Diffusive ones bit I see no reason why those wouldn't work if that's what you wanted. I use Epic Tetryon Beams that I crafted, I really like them. I messed with the Refractive Tetryon from the Nukara Rep and wasn't impressed, I just like the dual beam for set bonus on my Tet based Intel Escort.

The other thing to remember is some of the more powerful Phaser Boosts are locked behind some fairly expensive purchases. The Alternate Timeline set for example requires you to purchase at least one Lobi/Lockbox Ship to get the set bonuses. Tetryon boosts are dirt cheap.

If you're going to go Tetryon, the Emitter Refocuser is a really good boost.. and it's free. I pushed mine to Epic and it gives a +18.8% Damage, not the greatest.. but not bad. The Sticky Web console is also nice, gives a 25% boost and runs aabout 4.5M on the exchange. The Web ability isn't very canon.. Starfleet ships don't use webs, but you can always just use it for the passive only if keeping it canon is important to you.

Using 2 pieces of the Krenim Temporal Manipulation set gets you another 13.3% Boost. You can also get 8.9% from the Nukara Appropriated Munitions set. Finally, you can squeeze an impressive 30% boost from the Incontrovertible Defenses set. Obviously, you're not going to run all of these, but there are a lot of options for Tetryon at the current time. It's a very viable and very powerful choice in the current environment.

Insert witty signature line here.