test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Serious New Bug Re: Alienware Systems Running Windows x64

captainlysiak1captainlysiak1 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
My support ticket got me nowhere, so I'm writing here.

This is to report a fairly serious bug that started after the most recent patch. For whatever reason, any time I launch STO on my Alienware 17r5, Alienware Command Center locks up, goes into darkmode, and I can't change my Alien FX lighting, nor can I control the fan speed or audio controls on my machine. You can change settings, but they don't actually take affect.

This happens even after the game is closed, and I have to uninstall and reinstall the entire Alienware Command Center Suite just to get control back.

The support guys suggested this may be an issue with x64 not being compatible with Alien FX, but it worked perfectly fine until the last patch. I don't have an option in the launcher to use the 32 bit client anyway.

I have all the latest drivers and updates installed, and this only happens when I launch STO. None of my other games have any issue.

@devs, please help me.
Tagged:

Comments

• where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    To get the option to show up in the launcher: put in your password....wait for the engage button to show up....
    THEN (BEFORE you click "Engage") go into "options" in the launcher. The selection for 32-bit / 64-bit will be in the list.

I forgot the exact wording in the program and I shut off my computer already....but if I could figure it out by reading it, you will see it.

P.S. I have no idea about all the alienware stuff. (too rich for my blood.)
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • majorhalcyonmajorhalcyon Member Posts: 199 Arc User
    The support guys suggested this may be an issue with x64 not being compatible with Alien FX, but it worked perfectly fine until the last patch. I don't have an option in the launcher to use the 32 bit client anyway...
    where2r1 wrote: »
    To get the option to show up in the launcher: put in your password....wait for the engage button to show up....
    THEN (BEFORE you click "Engage") go into "options" in the launcher. The selection for 32-bit / 64-bit will be in the list...

where2r1 is correct, the option for using the 32-bit client is in the Options menu of the launcher as they described...however, if for some reason, like me, you are not being offered the 64-bit client (despite being on a 64-bit OS), then the check-box does not show. In that case you would already be running the 32-bit version.
    I just checked my computer control panel System Info sheet....

I am running Windows 10 Home 64-bit.

I would have STO crash at random to desktop with no error messages a few times. Because people were talking about it on the Forums about this happening to them (only they were having it happen much more often than I was...and connected to switching maps, and all sorts of stuff) which cleared up for them when they switched to the 32-bit.

So, I switched to the 32-bit....problem went away, have not had a crash since. I am happy. Not going to go any further with troubleshooting that, until it acts up, again.

This is what the Launcher OPTIONS look like...this is after you sign in the server with your password and before you hit the Engage button... check mark ON to use 32-bit / check mark OFF to use 64-bit.

https://i.imgur.com/6kMyCJG.jpg

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • captainlysiak1captainlysiak1 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    sorry guys, swap to the 32-bit client was successful, but the issue is still there. Will probably just stop playing, everything in the game has gotten so expensive anyway, and if I can't play without my computer shitting itself, maybe that big chunk of memory is better used on other games.
    sorry guys, swap to the 32-bit client was successful, but the issue is still there. Will probably just stop playing, everything in the game has gotten so expensive anyway, and if I can't play without my computer shitting itself, maybe that big chunk of memory is better used on other games.

I am not sure what "Alienware Command Center" is or does....but can you shut it off and see how STO runs without it?

• captainlysiak1captainlysiak1 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »

I am not sure what "Alienware Command Center" is or does....but can you shut it off and see how STO runs without it?

it's the software that controls the lighting, fan speeds, macros, and sound card options. Pretty essential stuff to have lock up.

The game plays fine, but it screws with my ability to do any of those above things, and I can't just keep repairing the app because one game messes it up. It makes far more sense to just not play the game, especially if nobody is willing to accept that there is actually a bug.