test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Should boffs be allowed to wear off duty outfits?

Comments

• thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    Yes (all boffs to wear off duty outfits)
    lianthelia wrote: »
    lianthelia wrote: »
    mez83 wrote: »
    > @mirrorchaos said:

> i'm not trying to be unreasonable, i would like a solid response why and how because so far i still don't see the point in it for the sake of it.

Someone might want to make a boff who's a part of the crew, but not a member of Starfleet, much like neelix in voyager.

Except Neelix never manned the helm...he never fired a phaser...he was a cook pretty much his entire journey. Other than Seven (Which her outfits count as a uniform if I recall) do you ever seen any kind of *civilian* being a officer on a starship unless it was a civilian manned ship...and last time I checked we don't have a civilian faction.

People have mentioned before there there are already many outfits under the "uniform" category which look nothing like uniforms that Starfleet captains/crews should be wearing when on active duty. Here are some great examples from the STO Costumes subreddit:

Guardians of the Galaxy: https://imgur.com/a/cC7xE8i

Firefly TV show: https://imgur.com/a/9ZC0yL9

Star Wars characters: https://imgur.com/a/jkJ9Qbr

So the point is, regardless of whether you think it makes sense or not, there are already tons of things that aren't really "uniforms" in that section. And since that is already the case, it makes no good sense to block out other things like dress suits and vests or the Neelix outfits.

Sorry you can't romance your boff out of her bikini on the bridge? Just as easily romance her out of her uniform...or do you just not have enough imagination?

Because lets be honest...these kind of arguments mainly seem to pop up right around the time of the summer event...not a coincidence.

Personally, I think running around in swimwear when doing missions would be silly. However, my personal opinion should not restrict someone else's freedom. With only a few exceptions, boffs aren't allowed in social zones. So how someone else might want to dress their boff is really no one else's business.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • stol#4062 stol Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    Restrictions on the tailor are just arbitrary and, if you ask me, mean spirited. There is no reason why off duty parts need to be restricted to players. There is no reason why off duty parts need to be restricted to off-duty. There is no reason why armour kits need to each have their own category to prevent mixing and matching. And there is certainly no reason for the current kludge where some bits can be mixed and matched and others can't, where some swim suits are restricted to Risa, and some aren't.

For those trying to restrict the teeny-boppers from from putting their boffs in nothing but a double J cup bikini, I can wear Exo III as a uniform top right now and walk myself and my boffs around in nothing, but I can't put on a nice rash guard top. I can wear the Duelist or Lukari Rep armour as a uniform, but not MACO or Omega rep armours.

The system just makes no sense, and just needs to be put out of our misery. People should be allowed to get up in the morning and wear what they want.
    Ex Turbo Modestum
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    What often baffles me is that they take combinations AWAY for no apparent reason. For example, my Klingon used the BortaS boots with the tucked Kobali pants. They fit together just fine, and look great... but now I can't use that combo anymore. They changed it for no reason I can fathom, so now the tucked pant can no longer be paired with that boot.

I wish they would just open up all the parts and let us worry about what they look like together.
    Exactly.

That's what they do over at Champions. You can combine pretty much anything and you're your own judge if it looks good or not.
  • mez83mez83 Member Posts: 255 Arc User
    > @colonelmarik said:
    > What often baffles me is that they take combinations AWAY for no apparent reason. For example, my Klingon used the BortaS boots with the tucked Kobali pants. They fit together just fine, and look great... but now I can't use that combo anymore. They changed it for no reason I can fathom, so now the tucked pant can no longer be paired with that boot.
    >
    > I wish they would just open up all the parts and let us worry about what they look like together.

I agree. You can already make crazy combinations as it is, why not let us go all out if we want to?
  • revan#6161 revan Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    As someone who just spent a long time getting a Omega armour to find out I can’t use it on my officers, I def want more for the Boffs, I don’t care for the bikinis I just want all the content that the captain can use anywhere to be the same for the officers, especially the ones you have to work towards and pay for!, I also use the talior to do some characters for a Roleplay Campaign I do so being able to dress in anything wouldn’t just improve the game for me, it’d keep me coming back, I really hope the devs see this and at least try to see if there’s a way to do it
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I've managed to make things that look almost like they're wearing sweat suits.... out of uniform parts.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    > @revan#6161 said:
    > As someone who just spent a long time getting a Omega armour to find out I can’t use it on my officers, I def want more for the Boffs, I don’t care for the bikinis I just want all the content that the captain can use anywhere to be the same for the officers, especially the ones you have to work towards and pay for!, I also use the talior to do some characters for a Roleplay Campaign I do so being able to dress in anything wouldn’t just improve the game for me, it’d keep me coming back, I really hope the devs see this and at least try to see if there’s a way to do it

You can put boffs in the omega armor, you just have to change the category from uniforms to omega.
    mez83 wrote: »
    > @revan#6161 said:
    > As someone who just spent a long time getting a Omega armour to find out I can’t use it on my officers, I def want more for the Boffs, I don’t care for the bikinis I just want all the content that the captain can use anywhere to be the same for the officers, especially the ones you have to work towards and pay for!, I also use the talior to do some characters for a Roleplay Campaign I do so being able to dress in anything wouldn’t just improve the game for me, it’d keep me coming back, I really hope the devs see this and at least try to see if there’s a way to do it

You can put boffs in the omega armor, you just have to change the category from uniforms to omega.
    If that category is allowed on boffs.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    > @markhawkman said:
    > mez83 wrote: »
    >
    > > @revan#6161 said:
    > > As someone who just spent a long time getting a Omega armour to find out I can’t use it on my officers, I def want more for the Boffs, I don’t care for the bikinis I just want all the content that the captain can use anywhere to be the same for the officers, especially the ones you have to work towards and pay for!, I also use the talior to do some characters for a Roleplay Campaign I do so being able to dress in anything wouldn’t just improve the game for me, it’d keep me coming back, I really hope the devs see this and at least try to see if there’s a way to do it
    >
    > You can put boffs in the omega armor, you just have to change the category from uniforms to omega.
    >
    >
    >
    > If that category is allowed on boffs.

It is, I have several boffs in omega armor, my main even has an entire maco squad.
  • pork77pork77 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    echatty wrote: »
    mneme0 wrote: »

Also weird is how certain colors are locked together for no apparent reason. I know of at least one case where my character's eyeball color was locked to the secondary color of a glove.

I noticed this on one of my alien captains where the color of the inner part of the Ocampa Ear 1 is tied to his spot color.

This is a glitch. If you randomize all parts in the tab, you'll get rid of this, and can customize all colors independently.
    3U3C0SJ.jpg

... and of course, I'd love to have a T5/6 Kamarag, like there is a T5/6 Ambassador.
  • pork77pork77 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    > @talonxv said:
    > Not only should boffs be able to wear everything, they should also have multiple options for outfits like the captain.

They do

Unfotunately they don't. You can't create a off-duty, undercover, dress uniform etc. outfit that you can switch your boff to quickly outside of the tailor.
    3U3C0SJ.jpg

... and of course, I'd love to have a T5/6 Kamarag, like there is a T5/6 Ambassador.
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User

Video deserves more views. Good tutorial on end game content.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
    edited August 2018
    > @mez83 said:
    > > @markhawkman said:
    > > mez83 wrote: »
    > >
    > > > @revan#6161 said:
    > > > As someone who just spent a long time getting a Omega armour to find out I can’t use it on my officers, I def want more for the Boffs, I don’t care for the bikinis I just want all the content that the captain can use anywhere to be the same for the officers, especially the ones you have to work towards and pay for!, I also use the talior to do some characters for a Roleplay Campaign I do so being able to dress in anything wouldn’t just improve the game for me, it’d keep me coming back, I really hope the devs see this and at least try to see if there’s a way to do it
    > >
    > > You can put boffs in the omega armor, you just have to change the category from uniforms to omega.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > If that category is allowed on boffs.
    >
    > It is, I have several boffs in omega armor, my main even has an entire maco squad.

I sadly don’t have the option to put them in the armour, I am on Xbox so it wouldn’t surprise me if I’m even more restrictive on it. I really hope we get more options on all platforms. I hate it how I worked to get this and can’t get it for them. Grrrrrr
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    No (do NOT allow boffs to wear off duty outfits)
    In theory I could have voted yes but I had to vote no. If there were a poll option to allow boffs to use off duty outfits with the exception of any swimwear, then I would vote yes.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
    <yawn>
    Some people are just so obsessed with swimsuits. Can't we have one clothes thread once in a that doesn't devolve into crying over the horror of people wearing swimsuits. :disappointed:
    Can't we have one clothes thread that doesn't get derailed by people crying the horror of people wearing swimsuits? Like, ever? :disappointed:
  • locutusofcactuslocutusofcactus Member Posts: 651 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    The one thing boffs should def be allowed to wear is ALL PARTS of a lobi uniform. I'm looking at you Tzenkethi Armor

^ This. On a few of my toons, the boffs wear the uniform of the ground set they carry. I'm not sure what to do with the Tzenkethi conundrum. Should I have my boffs carry only one part of the set? Should I have them wear a comparable outfit for the parts missing? Should I be less OCD? So many questions.
    edited August 2018
    revan#6161 wrote: »
    > @mez83 said:
    > > @markhawkman said:
    > > mez83 wrote: »
    > >
    > > > @revan#6161 said:
    > > > As someone who just spent a long time getting a Omega armour to find out I can’t use it on my officers, I def want more for the Boffs, I don’t care for the bikinis I just want all the content that the captain can use anywhere to be the same for the officers, especially the ones you have to work towards and pay for!, I also use the talior to do some characters for a Roleplay Campaign I do so being able to dress in anything wouldn’t just improve the game for me, it’d keep me coming back, I really hope the devs see this and at least try to see if there’s a way to do it
    > >
    > > You can put boffs in the omega armor, you just have to change the category from uniforms to omega.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > If that category is allowed on boffs.
    >
    > It is, I have several boffs in omega armor, my main even has an entire maco squad.

I sadly don’t have the option to put them in the armour, I am on Xbox so it wouldn’t surprise me if I’m even more restrictive on it. I really hope we get more options on all platforms. I hate it how I worked to get this and can’t get it for them. Grrrrrr

Just realised what is missing on console, we don’t have the option to change our Officers uniform type, the drop down bar for you guys. We get it for captains when we modify our outfits but not for bridge officers.

• sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    something must be done, it is extremely boring. I bought the hunter costume (what a mistake). I can't use parts with all my other costumes, the chestgear stuff is locked to tight clothes, + my females boffs can't wear a lot of parts.

this is only 1 example, i don't understand how they create costumes, most of the time some parts are locked for 1 gender or an other; and even some features are missing.

The thrall uniform for example, it is possible to remove the circuit animation for the females but not for the males.

damn' when I see the cost of all this TRIBBLE, I'm really stupid to buy yet costumes. yes, this is the only thing that I do currently: space barbies. my main has finished everything and I have all the needed stuff 4 or 5 builds, tons of ships, and my alts have nothing to do; except move some sliders.

unlock everything.
    something must be done, it is extremely boring. I bought the hunter costume (what a mistake). I can't use parts with all my other costumes, the chestgear stuff is locked to tight clothes, + my females boffs can't wear a lot of parts.
    You mean the Hirogen armor? I like it.
    7_of_13gallery_by_marhawkman-dch09ta.png
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    nope, the hunter costume from ds9 with the big helmet: http://www.startrek.com/uploads/assets/db_articles/4c904427c8fe98cd61ebba061626d90fa876f3f7.jpg

well in fact i bought the armor which have a costume unlock :p
    nope, the hunter costume from ds9 with the big helmet: http://www.startrek.com/uploads/assets/db_articles/4c904427c8fe98cd61ebba061626d90fa876f3f7.jpg

well in fact i bought the armor which have a costume unlock :p
    So what does it look like when you use it?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    i don't use it, because i can't mix what i want. :p Same thing for the thrall uniform, like i can't disable the circuits visual, i don't use it.
  • disqord#9557 disqord Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    All this crying about swimsuits used as a way to restrict freedom in the game, meanwhile making an entire crew of Orion women wearing nothing but a bikini is already allowed.

Aside from the whole cultural diversity thing from having races from across the galaxy, I don't see why it's such a big deal to have bridge officers running around in swimsuits.Aside from Nimbus and Dyson ground, you never see other player's officers, and not allowing swimsuits isn't going to change what people do or do not stare at whenever they get the chance.

Besides, swimsuits aren't the only outfits out there! Some of us may just want a casual freighter/pirate crew without standardized uniforms, some people may want a Men In Black style with tuxedos for days, or maybe make a Saiyan crew with some of those recent Ennis armor parts, but noooo, we're not allowed to have any sort of artistic freedom because some people don't like when other people have fun in private without hurting anybody.

Also, we can already use plenty of revealing stuff as it is (Not even counting the swimsuits Orions already wear), I don't see why the rest of the outfits are arbitrarily locked up.
    It saddens me how most of the playerbase are united in this topic, but sadly it doesn’t seem we will be able to get it.....
  • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    Yes, primarily for use of the cultural outfits. Ferengi outfits for a ferengi's crew for example. Talaxians in Talaxian clothing and so forth. If the swimsuits must be Risa only, fine. Not like I can bring my Boffs anyway.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • nunoespadinha#0711 nunoespadinha Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    mneme0 wrote: »
    Also weird is how certain colors are locked together for no apparent reason. I know of at least one case where my character's eyeball color was locked to the secondary color of a glove.
    That's an artefact of the engine being recycled from Champions Online. There, the tailor has buttons that allow players to link certain colors together to make it easier to create a consistent color scheme on an outfit without having to individually recolor every piece. They've removed those buttons from STO's tailor (probably because the feature totally would not work with STO's palette restrictions), but the code is still there and if something trips it you get these weird lock-ins that can be difficult to disengage.

I see that happening a lot with the Mercenary outfit...
    U.S.S. Achiever
    Junae, Girquay, Meman'Ikan, Deanna, Elisa Flores, Nuno Espadinha, Heidi, Kolez, T'Vrell, Zarva, Vocan, Oeshi
    Zv9NH5Z.png
    edited September 2018
    An easy fix for all of this is for them to give the bridge officers the same category’s as the player, allows us to put them in any outfit and stops the clipping they seem to have a big deal over. So if you want a civilian crew, you just put them in off duty then they have access to the civilian clothing. Want them in the Kobali uniform or MACO or other rep armour, you switch the category to that. If the player can access these and most bridge officers who can be edited are exactly the same as player versions, I don’t see why this wouldn’t work. It would also work on all versions of the game, pc and console.