test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Anyone else got the 'Skills invalid' gift!?

2»

Comments

• meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    Traits used to be permanent, many years ago, and the only way to change them was to respec. When they made traits hot-swappable (was it with the skill revamp, or maybe even slightly earlier? I don't really remember, that was also years ago), I believe they took the lazy way out and didn't change how respec works. So now we're still stuck with the obsolete function of respec unslotting our traits, notwithstanding that there's no reason why it should that anymore.

Why, yep, that explains it. :) Thx.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Was trying to apply a Spec Point last night but it wouldn't take so I checked the Skills and sure enough - Invalid. I had to Respec. This was especially frustrating after the whole freebie Phoenix Prize Pack Event Daily kerfuffle of having to go to Drozana to turn it in. I first thought that was a Gamma Recruit problem but after checking it out on another Character I could see that was system-wide.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    It's interesting I spent spec points on the Miracle Worker spec just fine even though my skills were invalid already.
    In effect, I have no reason to actually respec at all.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
    toiva wrote: »
    It's interesting I spent spec points on the Miracle Worker spec just fine even though my skills were invalid already.

That's because Specialization aren't skills. They don't get unslotted, even on a respec.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    I had a Gamma Recruit with the prepopulated Skills, that may be the difference in why it affected Specialization Point application.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • rndfluctuation#1470 rndfluctuation Member Posts: 813 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    Only my Jemm is affected by Invalid Skills issue now.
    Soon will be able to see if I can or can't allocate more specialty points.
    I didn't try to allocate space skill points as I had those all pre-put and didn't yet respec (invalid skills or not, still didn't)
    My other toons (skills normal) can do this without issues.

Jemm char seems not to be practically affected though beside seeing Skills Invalid note in skills and reputation pages, and beside that "ghost" residual recruit bonus buff on ground and space (not working and shouldn't be working, but still shown)

Update: can allocate skill points just fine on my affected char (Jemm) - though didn't yet try allocating that half-pre-filled spec command.

Edit: same as toiva's comment bellow, plus a general check for functionality of that char after ltminn's note :)
    Post edited by rndfluctuation#1470 on
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    toiva wrote: »

That's because Specialization aren't skills. They don't get unslotted, even on a respec.

You'll note that ltminns mentioned just above my post he couldn't apply a spec point. I was pointing out I don't have that particular issue, despite my skills being invalid as well.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
    ltminns wrote: »
    I had a Gamma Recruit with the prepopulated Skills, that may be the difference in why it affected Specialization Point application.

I have a Jem Vanguard too, with (2, iirc) Spec trees filled out already. None of the spec points were unslotted.

I remember, at first, when they started the Spec trees, they would get totally wiped too, upon a respec. But they soon changed that. So, if anyone's Spec tree got affected, after all, then that's yet another bug.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    My only problem with this was that I remembered it too late.

When I first made my Jem, I looked at the default ship load out and how my skills were configured (Tactical) and couldn't fix it fast enough. I had a stash of retrains so I used one the day I made my Jem. I should have just suffered with the crappy skill tree until the event ended and re-speced for free. Especially since I know damn well this would happen.. I went through it with my Delta and my AOY.. I should have known better.

Oh well, live and learn. At least the price was a small one.
    Insert witty signature line here.
    My spec trees were not unslotted, I just couldn't add a new point until I redid the Skills. Just seemed weird.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    edited July 2018
    @ltminns , wideningxgyre gives help by his experience :)
    I've had to double-click on the specialization skill I want on the skill tree from the beginning, rather than single-click to highlight and then clicking purchase.
    While I could add specialty points I am unsure how I added those so can't say if I had the same issue or not, though.
    Thanks, my problem only occurred when I had the forced Respec on the Gamma Recruit after the Recruit Event ended.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    edited July 2018
    They seem to have fixed the invalid skills issue (last maintenance? it changed allegedly somewhere between yesterday and today)

Thank you cryptic for fix and wideningxgyre for the workaround meanwhile - hope cryptic also fixed (incidently by same fix I mean) the spec allocation point by "purchase" while fixing the invalid skills issue.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Ah, so that's what it was.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    edited July 2018
    BTW, regardless or not, check traits allocation - my low level KDF delta just discovered he was playing for an unknown while "trait-less" (yet AGAIN). I don't think any other char had this issue so it might be an older issue I didn't notice or mission specific issue. (e.g. when an alternative temporary ship is used by a quest)

P.S.
    It's more likely having to do something with a Yesterday's War quest in which a ship was replaced, now that I think of it.
This discussion has been closed.