test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Told you so!, Excelsior Revamp

124»

Comments

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    You can still FAWn over the Samsar even though it can't do FAW well. ;)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    Flown one for 8 years, always had a feel, now it's gone. I tried to get it back in the ship tailor, but to no effect.
    I'm 100% on board with how you feel. Not for the Excelsior but for the Jem'Hadar Attack Ship and Strike Ship. The new model and skin (while more accurate) just destroyed the feel for me. I would hope that these remodels would allow for the old one to remain as a tailor option to prevent situations like this. I truly feel for you, brother.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
    edited July 2018
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    nikephorus wrote: »
    Well sounds like a challenge! How about you list 3 t6 cruisers worse than the excelsior? Looking at boff layout, console layout, special console, trait...etc.
    3 T6 cruisers worse than the Excelsior? Easy: Samsar, ECBC, SCBC. All 3 of these are terrible: They're cruisers, that are lacking any access whatsoever to FAW3, with the Samsar being the worst of them since it can't even manage better than FAW1 if it wants to keep an attack pattern. Some of them can be stripped for parts, but as ships, all of these are AWFUL.

The Excelsior, on the other hand, is merely slightly subpar, it doesn't have any really crippling defects, only some clear shortcomings. It isn't even the worst in the C-Store: ECBC and SCBC have it beat easily.
    The Samsar doesn't count because everyone knows it's the worst T6 ship in existence and it's not a FED specific ship. IMO Both the Engineering and Science command battlecruisers are easily better than the Resolute. All are 4/4. Both have better boff layouts and nearly as good console layouts. They both have pets. The only thing the resolute really has on them is the combination of FAW3+weapons efficiency. But I'll take FAW2 and I can get around the lack of weapon efficiency while adding a TS2 and an attack pattern that the resolute can't get simultaneously.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • drakethewhitedrakethewhite Member Posts: 1,240 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Why are folks hating on this ship so much? I don't find it 'underperforming' at all. Which is to say, it performs about the same as its T5-U predecessor I had.

And that's the reason right there. It basically offers nothing worth having over the T5-U at (a sale) price of 2400 Zen. So I just stayed with the old model until I got my Connie.

I may pull out my T5-U for the looks and giggles, but to be honest I generally have better things to spend my time on. But for those who fly it, the skin upgrade is wonderful.
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    That's not true, the T5 has no special console and costs more to upgrade to Fleet T5U than what it costs to have the T6 and upgrade it to Fleet T6, the T6's actually are more worth having over the T5 versions.
  • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    avoozuul wrote: »
    That's not true, the T5 has no special console at all and costs more to upgrade to Fleet T5U than what it costs to have the T6 and upgrade it to Fleet T6, the T6's actually are worth having over the T5 versions.
    If you already own the Fleet Advanced Heavy Cruiser Retrofit, you are better skipping the T6 Resolute and going straight for the Fleet Advanced Heavy Cruiser [T6] (or buying a [T5U] upgrade token). The Resolute offers nothing in the way of increased performance over the Fleet [T5U]. The trait is better used on many other ships (and a poor fit for the Resolute) and the unique console is terrible. The console set bonus includes the Transwarp Computer (one of the worst consoles in the game) and the set bonus is not good enough to justify equipping that trash console.

The only reasons to get the Resolute are:

1. You are a fan of the appearance Resolute or the Excelsior and do not have access to a Fleet.
    2. You plan on getting more than one Fleet Advanced Heavy Cruiser [T6] and want to make use of the discounted cost on Fleet Modules.
    3. You need one more Engineering Admirality Card.

None of these reasons are for the performance of the ship itself (because it is terrible).
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    That makes no sense since it actually looks like the ship in the films and shows now, this is how it always should have looked in STO.

I was talking about the newly added Resolute skin.
    New is relative, the Resolute Skin exists since there is a Tier 6 Excelsior, and the "new" skin would be more the update to the Excelsior skin.

Makes sense. I hadn't looked at the available Excelsior skins since I got the T5-U, back when, so the Resolute skin felt like a new addition to me. The revamped old skins look pretty nice to me.
    ANd I am afraid the only good thing from the Resolute is probably the neck. Everything else just doesn't work for me. (Or maybe the Pylons, too?)

The red of the Pylons kinda matches that of the engines. But, eventually, I just went with the classic Excelsior Retrofit look, with the Resolute neck, indeed, and some NX parts.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    Flown one for 8 years, always had a feel, now it's gone. I tried to get it back in the ship tailor, but to no effect.
    I'm 100% on board with how you feel. Not for the Excelsior but for the Jem'Hadar Attack Ship and Strike Ship. The new model and skin (while more accurate) just destroyed the feel for me. I would hope that these remodels would allow for the old one to remain as a tailor option to prevent situations like this. I truly feel for you, brother.

Hmm, didn't the Excelsior blog specifically say the new look would only take hold if you went to the tailor and selected a model? Ergo, maybe he should have left it alone. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg

Hmm, didn't the Excelsior blog specifically say the new look would only take hold if you went to the tailor and selected a model? Ergo, maybe he should have left it alone. :)
    No it said almost the opposite of that. It said new visuals should take effect automatically and if they didn't (they did btw) you could visit the tailor to make them take effect.

No it said almost the opposite of that. It said new visuals should take effect automatically and if they didn't (they did btw) you could visit the tailor to make them take effect.

That's Cryptic caveat for "You probably need to select the ship skin first." :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • captainbrian11captainbrian11 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    And really the "refits" of the conny scale where complete rebuilds. It's basicly the old question of "if you only have a single piece of a ship left, is it the same ship?" (BTW the answer to the question is , by tradtion, "yes") the only historical comparison I can think of the top of my head for something similer where some of the Old Japanese Battleships like the Kongo.
  • drakethewhitedrakethewhite Member Posts: 1,240 Arc User
    avoozuul wrote: »
    That's not true, the T5 has no special console and costs more to upgrade to Fleet T5U than what it costs to have the T6 and upgrade it to Fleet T6, the T6's actually are more worth having over the T5 versions.

I owned the T5-U from the moment it first became available. In no way or fashion is paying 2400 for a worthless T6 version of that worthwhile.
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    It's a decent ship when set up well, it's just hamstrung by that Ensign Engineering.
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
      The Resolute isn't bad, you can set up a build for it that would handle anything in this game. It's just less desirable because it's layout is so restrictive and inflexible. Aux2Bat beam boat is really the only option you have, and even then it's not ideal. It is however, not a 'bad' ship.

The Samsar.. that's a bad ship. :smiley:
      Insert witty signature line here.
    • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
      It's a decent ship when set up well, it's just hamstrung by that Ensign Engineering.

I have found ONE workaround for that Ensign Engineering. The Cryo Beam thing from the Winter Event can be an Ensign level ability, thus removing the shared cooldown issue. BUT... you need winter currency to get it. Its not ideal, but... it makes even the T5 managable.
      db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
      I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
      The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
      The Excelsior does have quickness and tankiness, that's it's saving grace along with the Lt.Cmdr tac slot
      NMXb2ph.png
        "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
        -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
        rattler2 wrote: »

I have found ONE workaround for that Ensign Engineering. The Cryo Beam thing from the Winter Event can be an Ensign level ability, thus removing the shared cooldown issue. BUT... you need winter currency to get it. Its not ideal, but... it makes even the T5 managable.

There's never an issue finding something to slot for Engineering. I used the 2 surplus Ensign slots for SIC1 and an Endothermic beam. Heck, you can always slot a spare ET1. The question just is, is it useful? And the answer is no: the Ensign Engi should simply have been Universal, IMHO.
        3lsZz0w.jpg
      • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
        reyan01 wrote: »
        Probably not. Suspect the focus is entirely on DSC ships at this point.

I seriously doubt that they haven't done ANY work on any Discovery stuff yet. And I'm looking long term. Not just the next big update.
        db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
        I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
        The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
      This discussion has been closed.