test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Nighttime on Risa

nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
RG5NZ0a.jpg

I can see the stars.
Green people don't have to be.... little.

Comments

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    'My God... it's full of stars!!
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    Yep! Three locations where you can see that. The tunnel to the volcano has two locations, the third is the cave across from the Ferengi camp in the grotto. Even has moving clouds! Only real good places to visit on Risa anymore, along w/ the tunnel and aforementioned cave. Everywhere else is **** pretty much.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    There is a glimpse of night time Risa in the background of the interact window for Pavyl when you collect on his game when he is at an outdoor location.

Not exactly the same thing as this, though.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    I guess we'll just have to close our eyes to simulate night. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    What's Risa? Live & fight on Auraxis, land of deserts, snow, marshes, mountains, fog, dust-storms, sunrises and sunsets, anomalies & riches, auroras, dark nights, gigantic trees, luscious vegetation, the Holy Lands of VANU and the Terran's new homeworld, spellbinding as much as tactical.

Star Trek Online: Risa R.I.P. -- June 27 2013 - 25 Oct 2016
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    The worship of the day-night cycle was funny for a while when it was removed, but it's got majorly weird over time. :sweat:
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    I know they said they can't figure out how to make day/night work right again but honestly if going in to a cave produces an effect like that then day/night can be fudged till a better solution is thought up. Makes the environment and game more enjoyable when the little things like that are working.
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    The worship of the day-night cycle was funny for a while when it was removed, but it's got majorly weird over time. :sweat:

It wasn't removed. ITw as intentionally broken with Lighting 2.0. Which, they designed for console and ported to PC. They knew putting it in, it would break this.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    nimbull wrote: »
    RG5NZ0a.jpg

I can see the stars.

I can't in that picture, but, more importantly, if that is what passes for night where you live, it must be tough to sleep. Also, depth of haziness is a terrible effect. I've never seen a tropical island paradise with that kind of persistent fog.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    The night and day cycle was just a magical part of Risa, it really set a wonderful mood to the summer event.
    trennan wrote: »

It wasn't removed. ITw as intentionally broken with Lighting 2.0. Which, they designed for console and ported to PC. They knew putting it in, it would break this.
    "Intentionally broken" is just a disrespectful way of saying removed.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    anodynes wrote: »
    RG5NZ0a.jpg

I can see the stars.

I can't in that picture, but, more importantly, if that is what passes for night where you live, it must be tough to sleep. Also, depth of haziness is a terrible effect. I've never seen a tropical island paradise with that kind of persistent fog.

Alien worlds != Earth all the time. Also it's good enough till they can fix it proper.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User

"removed" is just a respectful way of saying 'intentionally broken.'
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    I know they said they can't figure out how to make day/night work right again but honestly if going in to a cave produces an effect like that then day/night can be fudged till a better solution is thought up. Makes the environment and game more enjoyable when the little things like that are working.

The dil mining asteroid has a rapid change of light that passes over it, might not be a day night cycle as dictated by a star but its certainly a close resemblance.

Since when were cryptic worried about things working right, except maybe after the 4th or 5th patch if its not been abandoned by players by then.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    "removed" is just a respectful way of saying 'intentionally broken.'
    Actually, whether it's definable as "broken" is the key point here. To the devs the lighting is NOT broken. The quests that require you to go places at night … maybe.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    anodynes wrote: »

I have seen San Diego look cloudy like that for a few days, once. It was storms out at sea, or down in Mexico...can't remember what was going on that week we visited. Didn't like it. Though, they still get nights.

Seattle in the summers, not so much. I am not sure the sun sets there at all...but it is beautiful that time of year. But only when compared to 120 degrees in the desert.

The worst fog I ever seen, was in a town called Astoria, OR. I could not believe it was already NOON and check out time. I asked the hubby, "We aren't really driving over that bridge, NOW, are we?" Of course, we are. That was one freaky drive...not being able to see the bridge, much less the road, much less any other cars, not even head lights. It was far, far worse than driving in a haboob/dust storm here.

That whole Northwest area....it's a cloud fest. I don't know how many visits I took to the in-laws before I actually saw Mt. Rainer. It was astonishing how that big a thing could be missing for so many days. Not a wonder that coffee is so popular in Seattle. Who would be able to wake up, otherwise?

It is just a place to go visit once in a blue moon. And only to look at the trees.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    I've seen it get 'dark' at ESD in Quinn's great room as Ships pass by the windows. Seems that they have a way to block sunlight, albeit for short periods.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    ltminns wrote: »
    I've seen it get 'dark' at ESD in Quinn's great room as Ships pass by the windows. Seems that they have a way to block sunlight, albeit for short periods.
    Not the same as night though. The devs already said that if they'd had more time to work on it they could have made it work, but they didn't have time.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    ltminns wrote: »
    Yeah, it's called a shadow. ;)

If you'd read taco's explanations in the FCT thread, you'd know it's not the sunlight that is at issue, it's the ambient light.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,302 Community Moderator
    I thought this was going to be one of those "post a picture, appreciation for what once was" threads. Shame. See the FCT. /Thread
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.