test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A question about the Sojourner...

colonelmarikcolonelmarik Member Posts: 2,200 Arc User
Ok, this might seem like a strange one, but I suspect people might be used to that from me.

I am considering purchasing the Sojourner (next time it's on sale, perhaps), but there's a potential issue that might keep me from doing so.

I have an Odyssey class ship, but I never fly it because it fires phasers from its engine nacelles. That's a DUMB place for weapons to be mounted. My concern is that the Sojourner will do the same thing, and I don't want to spend the money on a ship I won't want to fly.

If it DOES have weapon mounts on the nacelles, is there a way to get around it? Perhaps a different engine I can put on there that doesn't have the hardpoints? What if I put no beam weapons in the aft of the ship, would it still fire the forward mounted beams from the engines?

I know, it's a pretty trivial thing, but to me it's important.
Once, I was simply called Mojo. Now, I'm forced into a new name, but don't be fooled, I'm the original STO Mojo!

This game needs detailed crafting, exploration and interaction systems.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    Yes it will fire from the nacelles. It's kinda dumb but better than the alterniative of firing through the nacelles and pylons like some older fed ships models do. It's the lesser of two evils.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    The T6 Odyssey's actually do not fire from the Nacelles.

The Hardpoints are mostly on the saucer, there is also one in between the two nacelles, underneath the pylons on each side, on the very bottom of the main hull, and one on the far aft of the ship.

If viewing the ship from the top, it can look like the beams firing from the under pylon hard points are coming from the Nacelles, but they actually don't. You can YouTube videos of the Odyssey ships in combat if you want to verify this. For example, you can see Timberwolf's video review of the Sojourner class to see for yourself.

I fly a kit bashed Endeavor on my main, and my ship does not fire from the Nacelles.
    Insert witty signature line here.
    Checked out that video. At roughly 10:30, there are definitely beams firing from the ends of the engines. What a shame.

The beam is coming from the aft of the ship, with a top/down camera view, it just looks like it’s from the nacelle.

It’s all moot though, you found one point in a 22 min video where it looks like maybe it kinda fires from the nacelle.. maybe.. and that was all you needed to stamp a NO on it. My suspicion is you really don’t want it that much and you’re talking yourself out of it.

It’s all good man, but as someone who actually owns the ship and uses it regularly.. it doesn’t fire from the nacelle. Not saying there can’t be an occasional graphical annomoly, but that happens on any ship. The T6 Odyssey’s are fine ships with excellent looks, stats, and a pretty nice console set. You’re missing out. :smile:
    Really, what I've been looking for is a good Tier 6 ship that has the Constitution aesthetic. Right now, I'm using a variation of the Sovereign, but she's tier 5, and even with good gear has a hard time standing up to anything in the newer missions. The Sojourner is the best looking of the Odyssey classes (though I'm still not a fan of the double dorsals, and the secondary hull is a bit long, perhaps). In all though, the thing that irks me the most is this business with the weapons on the nacelles. Again, it's not a BIG issue, but it's one that would be like a pebble in my shoe, forever irritating.

I am guessing it's a graphical anomaly. As you can see from the rest of the video, the ship normally does not fire from the nacelles, but I know what you mean. I have a Yamato that I occasionally break out for a run or two, and that thing fires constantly from the nacelles. I think it's intentional on that ship since it's a galaxy with extra guns mounted all over it, but it looks silly.

I strongly advise though that you don't buy any ship to fix your survivability problem. Your problem is definitely build related and you are going to end up spending money and not fixing your problem. Pick the ship you want.. the ship you actually want to fly, the one you like and we'll get you a good build for it. If you like the Sovereign you're flying then maybe the Archon will appeal to you. It's a T6 Sovy with Intel seating.. it's a pretty good ship.

Either way, find the ship you actually want to fly, we'll worry about the build in another thread. Trust me, we can help you get a good build for cheap on just about anything.
This discussion has been closed.