test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Are players incapable of fighting the Tzenkethi in space?

Comments

• warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    I did a tzenkethi queue once in my T6 Intrepid, the one with the black hole.
    I got separated from the group, and was stuck fighting ONE cruiser... for the entire mission, over an hour, before everyone quit. I simply couldn't hurt it. It couldn't kill me either, but I was doing NO damage to it.

Between their ships being nearly invulnerable to everything and their constantly spamming spreads of oneshot torpedoes, they're not any fun to play against... so no one does.

Game design at its finest.

I don't know what you are talking about. Even with the cruisers buffing other ships, I can easily nuke them all in second...just like everything else in this game. And that is the problem. There are players like you who can't hurt them and player like me who vape them in seconds...and player better than me that vapes then in FRACTIONS of a second. There is only so much game design can handle. And that level of disparity ain't something that is easy to handle.

You're entirely right... and that's what I'm talking about. The power creep has made much of the content unplayable if you're using more ordinary gear. In order to make enemies capable of handling the absurd amount of damage many players can produce now, they've been made unassailable to anyone NOT so equipped.
    I wish. In fact they've done nothing at all to make enemies capable of keeping up with players.
    The ship I described is fairly well equipped, the result of grinding what I could for several years... and it STILL wasn't capable of hurting a single Tzenkethi cruiser.
    Then it's not fairly well equipped.
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    I did a tzenkethi queue once in my T6 Intrepid, the one with the black hole.
    I got separated from the group, and was stuck fighting ONE cruiser... for the entire mission, over an hour, before everyone quit. I simply couldn't hurt it. It couldn't kill me either, but I was doing NO damage to it.

Between their ships being nearly invulnerable to everything and their constantly spamming spreads of oneshot torpedoes, they're not any fun to play against... so no one does.

Game design at its finest.

I don't know what you are talking about. Even with the cruisers buffing other ships, I can easily nuke them all in second...just like everything else in this game. And that is the problem. There are players like you who can't hurt them and player like me who vape them in seconds...and player better than me that vapes then in FRACTIONS of a second. There is only so much game design can handle. And that level of disparity ain't something that is easy to handle.

You're entirely right... and that's what I'm talking about. The power creep has made much of the content unplayable if you're using more ordinary gear. In order to make enemies capable of handling the absurd amount of damage many players can produce now, they've been made unassailable to anyone NOT so equipped.
    The ship I described is fairly well equipped, the result of grinding what I could for several years... and it STILL wasn't capable of hurting a single Tzenkethi cruiser.

Fortunately, it's able to handle the Hur'q fairly well. NONE of my other characters can last more than a 20th of a second against them, unfortunately.

Hang on, in the other thread: https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1241723/anyone-noticing-that-the-enemy-keeps-mega-critting

You admit that it takes you years to fill a reputation. I don't think it's fair to call out the game design if you are not prepared or not able to at least fit the best gear in the game that comes for free, it just requires time to play the game and earn the provisions required, e.g. dil, marks, special items etc. Your characters can't kill one cruiser and are instavaped by pretty innocuous Hur'q and I assume this is all on normal difficulty.

You see a pattern here? What are you asking for exactly? It's nothing to do with power creep just your inadequate build due to inability to on your part to acquire the rep gear. Now that's not a criticism as such, just an observation, many people don't have the time to put into a game and that's fine, but it's not the game that has to change, you don't make the goal posts a mile wide for people who can't earn football boots.

Wait... years to fill a reputation? Unsponsored and running just the every 20 hour, 30 mark, project will max that reputation 40 days. So that can clears that up for everyone.

Now the powercreep I can understand. I'm on that limits myself in what I can use to put a build together. For example, as I said in the mega-crtting thread there, I only use items I can get from episode, reputations, or off the exchange. It also means I'm working without C-Store ships, fleet gear, fleet ships, the fifth trait unlock, the SRO's, and the extra active duty doff slot. I take that back, I bought 1 C-Store ship, the one that come with the Vanguard Starter pack. But, I haven't bothered playing my Jem'hadar outside of dill farming, and some favor farming on Risa, since I got it.

Now if you got to that mega-crit thread, you'll see my ship. It's not a DPS monster, even though it is a Raider, as this is unimportant to the overall game. Though, the way the game itself seems to be leaning, since the dev's seem to have hit a wall they can't overcome on making unique encounters. But that ship can hold it's own against whatever I decide to go do, and every piece of gear on it can be crafted, gotten from an episode, or from a reputation.

As for the Tzenkethi, if you use their strength as their weakness, they aren't much of a problem. Since they're shield tanks, a good old fashion, Target Subsystem: Shields, tends to make then nice and squishy. A good strong bit of tetryon damage here would help as well. Which, this is true of every enemy in the space queues. They're highly reliant on their shields, remove that, and meh.. it's over before you know it. Even the hur'q ravagers and assemblies rely on this. That directional shielding they use, that's just a copy/paste from the Voth.

Edit: Forum Longolears, Begone!
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    My Rom ENG, using last year's Summer Event ship all Nukara Rep'd out, has no problems with doing damage to Tzenkethi ships. So their flank and rear shields are really strong and their front shield is weaker relative to these. So what? Tetryon based weapons work just fine against all of them. Corrosive plasma seems to work almost as good.

As to people not being able to play well against the Tzenkethi in STFs or the Red Alert. Did we not see the same thing when the Iconians first came out? As well as the rest of the enemies? Remember back when Donatra used to give everyone fits in Khitomer Space? Weapons are not going to be effective if the person flying the ship doesn't know what to do or has a poor understanding of tactics and techniques.

I like the Tzenkethi RA as a PUG. And I seldom have problems with the other players in these PUGs at least contributing partially. I'm not trying to carry everyone else, either. Not a good enough player to do this. But I make damn sure I'm doing everything I can to cover as much as I can as often as I can as long as I can. My experience is my own. I'm not going to even try to speak for others. However, if we should ever happen to wind up in a Tzenkethi PUG together OP, I promise failure won't be because I did something stupid or do not know what I'm doing.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
    edited July 2018
    My Rom ENG, using last year's Summer Event ship all Nukara Rep'd out, has no problems with doing damage to Tzenkethi ships. So their flank and rear shields are really strong and their front shield is weaker relative to these. So what? Tetryon based weapons work just fine against all of them. Corrosive plasma seems to work almost as good.

As to people not being able to play well against the Tzenkethi in STFs or the Red Alert. Did we not see the same thing when the Iconians first came out? As well as the rest of the enemies? Remember back when Donatra used to give everyone fits in Khitomer Space? Weapons are not going to be effective if the person flying the ship doesn't know what to do or has a poor understanding of tactics and techniques.

I like the Tzenkethi RA as a PUG. And I seldom have problems with the other players in these PUGs at least contributing partially. I'm not trying to carry everyone else, either. Not a good enough player to do this. But I make damn sure I'm doing everything I can to cover as much as I can as often as I can as long as I can. My experience is my own. I'm not going to even try to speak for others. However, if we should ever happen to wind up in a Tzenkethi PUG together OP, I promise failure won't be because I did something stupid or do not know what I'm doing.

One of the main problems that crops up in the RA, is the satellite defense. A lot of players take this a bit to seriously. Thus, you end up with them constantly killing the ships that spawn there, and stacking up 2, or more, of the Protomatter torp spewers. Which is where the majority of the failed attempts happen. Or they get so involved in the defense part, they don't bother with the torps at all.

In the old Borg STFs, one could give some leeway on not knowing the tactics, the game didn't tell you what to do. The new stuff, there is no excuse. The game holds your hand and tells you what to do, every step of the way.

Edit: Double Quote fix and Forum Langolears, Begone!
    Mm5NeXy.gif
    trennan wrote: »

One of the main problems that crops up in the RA, is the satellite defense. A lot of players take this a bit to seriously. Thus, you end up with them constantly killing the ships that spawn there, and stacking up 2, or more, of the Protomatter torp spewers. Which is where the majority of the failed attempts happen. Or they get so involved in the defense part, they don't bother with the torps at all.

In the old Borg STFs, one could give some leeway on not knowing the tactics, the game didn't tell you what to do. The new stuff, there is no excuse. The game holds your hand and tells you what to do, every step of the way.
    There may actually be part of the cause there. Some players give the game's instructions far too much credence, without considering that it might not be that important or even correct. Like the satellite defense bit. Fact is, doing what you're told is not always the best course of action.
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    You raised some valid points, trennan. Players do spend a little too much time defending the satellites or hunting Protomatter torps in Tzenkethi RAs. They tend to gang up on both of these. Why? Because they're simple to do. How many people have been taught by less than one minute duration CCAs to not bother reading the information presented as an aid to performing correctly? There is some hand holding going on to guide players through the mission. But if they click on <F> as fast as they can to get the info screen out of the way, can we really blame them totally?

I am about to make two 'dangerous' assumptions about the player base of STO
    - 1) its intelligence is higher than most believe.
    - 2) its level of common sense and willingness to use this common sense while playing are both higher than most believe.

I suggest another reason why people fail at endgame content in PUGs - players delay doing something for fear of looking stupid in front of others. This delay causes opportunities to be missed.

Again speaking for myself only, I've never gone into any PUG mission deliberately setting out to fail from the outset. Doing so isn't good sportsmanship towards the other four players. I will freely admit to taking a pause to look around to ensure what I'm doing right now and am going to do shortly contributes to the success of the mission. These pauses on my part probably have contributed to someone missing an Optional somewhere.

EDIT: This is one of the more interesting threads I've seen and participated in here in the official forums in a very long time. Thanks, OP. Always like the InterWebs better whenever I have to put my brain in gear to keep up.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
    You raised some valid points, trennan. Players do spend a little too much time defending the satellites or hunting Protomatter torps in Tzenkethi RAs. They tend to gang up on both of these. Why? Because they're simple to do. How many people have been taught by less than one minute duration CCAs to not bother reading the information presented as an aid to performing correctly? There is some hand holding going on to guide players through the mission. But if they click on <F> as fast as they can to get the info screen out of the way, can we really blame them totally?

I am about to make two 'dangerous' assumptions about the player base of STO
    - 1) its intelligence is higher than most believe.
    - 2) its level of common sense and willingness to use this common sense while playing are both higher than most believe.

I suggest another reason why people fail at endgame content in PUGs - players delay doing something for fear of looking stupid in front of others. This delay causes opportunities to be missed.

Again speaking for myself only, I've never gone into any PUG mission deliberately setting out to fail from the outset. Doing so isn't good sportsmanship towards the other four players. I will freely admit to taking a pause to look around to ensure what I'm doing right now and am going to do shortly contributes to the success of the mission. These pauses on my part probably have contributed to someone missing an Optional somewhere.

EDIT: This is one of the more interesting threads I've seen and participated in here in the official forums in a very long time. Thanks, OP. Always like the InterWebs better whenever I have to put my brain in gear to keep up.

I'm not doubting the intelligence or common sense of other players. I'm just saying, it's a lack of awareness on their part. One can blame the point capture in the BZ's here. It is easy to fall in to that habit when doing a point defense in an STF, such as teh Tzenkethi RA.

Now, to make this differ from that, and to add that extra little bit to have people become more aware of what's going on. There are two things already in game that I can think would inspire this.

That's to add the respawn mechanic from the Tholian ground STF, the acid pool one, I can recall it's name right off. Here, even starting out, if someone is left int eh start area, they're locked out. Second, if you die and respawn, you respawn there and are locked out. Now on this, you can wait for someone to revive you as well. Space, doesn't have this. But it can, and I'll explain how.

The spawn mechanic for this has been introduced with the Swarm queue, sending power to the Jem'hadar ships. So they can change the death animation from blowing up to going to a disabled state. Now for this, they could lock the respawn entirely, thus making a disabled ship have to wait for help, or for the queue to fail/succeed. Or they could leave the respawn part, and just make it to where the respawn area is locked out of being able to help.

For the disabled idea. The disabled player can only use healing abilities, albeit at say, 1/10th their normal effectiveness. This gives credence to the fact that the ship is disabled, and thus isn't operating at full power. So, it should take a bit for them to recover and get back in the fight on their own. Then, there's the part of another player assisting. This would be the same as, Send Power, in the Swarm, where being attacked and attacking stops this from happening. Thus adding to the amount of time it could take for another player to help the disabled one.

Both of these would raise player awareness in queues. As now, you can no longer just respawn and jump back in the fight, like nothing ever happened.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    You can get the marks you need from the Red Alerts now. You can 'purchase' the doo-dads at 100 marks each, every 20 hours if you can't run a queue and get them. So, running the Red alerts every 20 hours for whatever marks you need will net you plenty to fill in the rep and get your elite doo-dads. If you run them every 20 hours.

But only playing once-twice a week, I can understand.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    My experience of the battlezones has been rather poor. Only the Ground Sphere one is any fun, really. Nearly every other one is just an endless deluge of a hundred ships doing enough damage to wipe me out in less than a second.

Not much fun.

You are clearly undergeared, it would seem (time and again). Something like the Undine BZ should be a breeze, for everyone. Terran BZ** can be a mite harder, at times, as those Terran ships have Torp Spreads that can sting quite a bit, and hull destabilizing abilities; but, also, for the most part, a cakewalk. Tzenkethi BZ is probably one of the easiest, enemy-wise, but sadly also broken (as you can't properly finish it). Voth BZ is slightly harder, but not very much so, once you learn how to not fire directly at them when they have their shield reflection thingy on.

** Terran BZ is primarily broken for me, as it's a place where Cryptic keeps warping me out/in, ever so often.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    I've never had a problem with BZs either and I'm not ever optimized. The Undine one especially is a cakewalk. Terran is slightly more difficult, never played Tzenkethi. The RAs are also a cakewalk, at least Borg and Tholian. As long as I'm not trying to solo the flagship or Tarantula.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    My experience of the battlezones has been rather poor. Only the Ground Sphere one is any fun, really. Nearly every other one is just an endless deluge of a hundred ships doing enough damage to wipe me out in less than a second.

Not much fun.

You are clearly undergeared, it would seem (time and again). Something like the Undine BZ should be a breeze, for everyone. Terran BZ** can be a mite harder, at times, as those Terran ships have Torp Spreads that can sting quite a bit, and hull destabilizing abilities; but, also, for the most part, a cakewalk. Tzenkethi BZ is probably one of the easiest, enemy-wise, but sadly also broken (as you can't properly finish it). Voth BZ is slightly harder, but not very much so, once you learn how to not fire directly at them when they have their shield reflection thingy on.

** Terran BZ is primarily broken for me, as it's a place where Cryptic keeps warping me out/in, ever so often.

I'm sorry...but if you can't handle BZs, it's not a matter of being undergeared. It's a matter of being a terrible pilot or having a terrible build or both. I can spend 500k EC and using the free level 40 ship have a build that can solo cap BZ areas. As it has been pointed out repeatedly, the issue isn't marik's lack of resources. Or his lack of ability to play very often. It is that he is approaching this game from the most inefficent method possible. And while if he is having fun and doing well, this isn't an issue, when he comes on here to complain...obviously it is. What is worse is that he will not accept advice given and change...so really, not sure what there is to be done about it.

And you are right. I should not have used the term 'undergeared.' Rather, 'wrongly geared' or something: 'turtling up' way too much, doing exactly as tunebreaker laid out: being stuck in a perpetual stand-off, where he won't die per se, but cannot, by his own words, put a dent in any of the bigger ships. (That's the best 'drain' build ever: sucking all the fun out of the game)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    I'd say the BZ's are more of a slow trickle of helpless rubber ducks that get wiped out in less than a second.

The main issue with the space BZ's vs the voth ground one, is the former have horribly gimped rewards and no single-player objectives. Of course, they did (try to) ruin the VBZ too, with the tagging nerf, but only succeeded in turning it into a camper's paradise.
    azrael605 wrote: »
    No single player objectives? I regularly solo cap points in all BZs, even Tzen (takes longer but doable).

Tzenkethi BZ points are about the easiest to capture solo. But it does take a few minutes before the game decides you did enough.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    azrael605 wrote: »
    No single player objectives? I regularly solo cap points in all BZs, even Tzen (takes longer but doable).
    But that's only part of an objective. It's not possible to complete the zone solo, because the nodes revert faster than you can cap them. By yourself, all you can really get out of a space BZ is the daily mark box.

The ground BZ has daily missions that are designed to be completed alone for significant reward. This makes it worth visiting even if it happens to be empty. Which, of course, means it never actually is empty.

Or it would, in so far as anyone still needs to grind dil outside Admiralty anymore, I suppose.
  • tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
    Ran the Satellite queue today, almost ended in disaster, if it hadn't been for one player who realized what the fail condition was, that of the protomatter torps reaching the planet.

I'm not sure what was going on, but given I had to dedicate most of my time to intercepting the Protomatter torpedoes and was only one of two players actively targeting them, made me wonder what the other three members of the team were doing.
    Especially since one satellite was destroyed.

Near the end, the Tzenkethi dreadnaught was just sending out an endless number of Protomatter torpedos and not once did I see anyone blast them down, it was like they were all focussing fire on the ship, not realizing that it wasn't the problem here.
    I had to break off engagement and go chasing the torpedoes myself, which didn't quite work, since the escort ships kept shooting at me and preventing use of full impulse.
    One torpedo was 18km distant and almost to the planet before the other torpedo hunter shot it down.

Next time, I might consider just sitting in the middle area between the satellites and shooting down the torpedoes as they arrive.
    That can result in player aggression though, if they think you aren't fighting/contributing, they'll get argumentative.

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
    edited July 2018
    If you have the other pieces to go with the quantum phase set (torp/beam) I'd put that on there in place of two of those torpedoes. That's a great set to have.

If you don't have them, replay the mission Sunrise and get them.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    Here's another suggestion, since you're going phaser there. Do the episode(twice) that can give you Bajoran shields and engines. Will boost your phaser damage. The Quantum Phased weapon set from Sunrise will help you a lot. Right now, there's not enough info to go on, such as your boff ability loadout.
This discussion has been closed.