test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Bribing the Feresan

Comments

• Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    The doff mission is not common...so if your in the right spot and dont see it... come back after sector space respawn which is every 4 hours. It took me a LONG time to get it for my AOY toon, granted I did not check every day. But when ever I got around to it... never up. then one day it was when crossing thru DS9 and cluster (far left side one). Yeah doffing in sector space is screwed up. They really need to revamp it and put ALL available missions on list automatically, with region locked ones auto popping up when you fly thru area.
  • Options
    anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    fftt wrote: »
    ltminns wrote: »
    What 'feature' is that?

The feature/bug of transitioning between certain sectors in a certain direction causing a set of current map assignments that are different than what the new sector missions would normally be if you don't patrol more deeply into that sector.

It's not really that. The big bunch of missions that you get will stay with you a bit of the way into the sector, but will eventually change. What's happening is that when you just hit the border of a former sector block is when you get the missions that are supposed to be for that sector block, those will linger for a bit, but will be replaced by a generic set for that quadrant after time, usually before you've crossed halfway across the sector, so long as you haven't transitioned into another sector, in which case, the generic ones will come up at that transition and stay there until you leave the former sector block and re-enter. You will also get the generic quadrant set of assignments when entering a sector by any method other than crossing the border into it, such as exiting system space or transwarping into it. You can use this to your advantage and trigger this change at will through another method, going to your bridge and then back to sector space, which will also always give you the generic set of assignments for that quadrant.

To complicate matters further, there is actually a third set of assignments that you can trigger while within the same former sector block, but it's tricky to do, and I'm not even exactly sure how to make it happen, but it seems to be from first crossing into a former sector block from an extreme edge, like in one of the 3 sectors-tall blocks closest to the Alpha/Beta Quadrant border (former Sirius and Regulus sector blocks) at the very bottom or very top, then continuing on through that block until the generic assignments come up, and then crossing another sector boundary within the block.

To see this particular voodoo ritual for yourself, try this experiment:

1. Find a low-population instance of the Beta Quadrant. You will be swapping instances, to see this, and you want one that is definitely going to remain open for you to avoid tainting the results.
    2. Go from Sol, assuming that you started there (you always will if you transitioned there from the Western half of the previous instance of the Beta Quadrant) straight "East" to Afehirr Nebula and note what assignments the nebula has.
    3. Turn due "North" and cross into the Noro sector, then immediately stop, turn "South" again, and head back into Gasko sector and straight to Afehirr nebula again and check the assignments again. They will most likely be different than before.
    4. Switch to any other instance and then back to the one that you were just in. This should put you in the H'atoria sector, one sector below where you just were.
    5. Head back to the Afehirr nebula and check the assignments there again. You will almost certainly see yet another different set, all from the same nebula in the same instance of the Beta Quadrant.

The set from step 3 is the one tied to the true set of assignments for that sector block. The step from step 5 is tied to generic set for the Beta Quadrant, and the set from step 2 is that strange, spooky third set that I described above, that I think has something to do with travelling across sector boundaries within one of the former blocks after the assignments for that sector block have been replaced by the generic assignments. That set is hard to replicate, though I've also managed to bring it up at Delta Volanis by entering the former Sirius block from the "South" edge.

You know, typing this out has intrigued me, so I'm going to actually start up the Ghosts of the Jem'Hadar chain on my other characters, one by one, and report back here when I find the Bribing the Ferasan assignment. We'll see if my streak of "great luck" continues.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    it's easiest if you have astrometrics turned on since that makes it where you can see the sector borders. Parking your ship almost on top of the thick borders gives the best results.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Finally, some reason to turn that bloody Astrometrics switch on!! :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    It's up in Arawath sector right now. I saw it in instance #2, but I don't think that that makes any difference anymore. It should be up for another 3 hours and 45 minutes from this post. Cross into Arawath, or the sectors immediately above or below it from the edge and stop as soon as the floater comes up and you should see it, but maybe not if you hit the bottom one from far down, easiest would be Cardassia sector into Arawath sector.

This character finished 4/10 yesterday during maintenance, cashed that in when the server came up and checked for that cycle and the next 2, then missed at least 2 cycles because of sleep. When I got up and logged in, I checked for each of the next 3 cycles with no luck until now. All told, a day and a half.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • Options
    Finally got the Mission, thanks so much. That Character was 4 of 9 which was puzzling as there are 10 Assignments in the Chain.

The strange thing was that the first Character that I started doing this Chain on, who was also stuck on the Bribe, was listed as having done 6 of the Chain. I honestly don't remember ever finding that Bribe Mission at all on that or the other Character. Because I was stuck on this Character I sent the Character above through to see if I could break the stalemate.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    It's up again for anyone looking for it. Former Alpha Trianguli block, that's the Easternmost 4 sectors in the Southernmost row of the Alpha Quadrant. Checked all of them and it's up in every one. Cross into any from the North, or the farthest one to the West (Algira Sector) from the northern part of the Orias Sector and you should see it. Up for approximately 3 hours and 40 minutes longer.

This character started the chain when the last one found this assignment last week. Finished 4/5 approximately 30 hours ago. This time I made sure to check every cycle, so, including the partial one in which it finished, there were 7 cycles where it wasn't up.
  • Options
    I'm up at 9/10 on one and 8/10 on the other. I found having that Astrometrics on was also a Godsend.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    I finally found this yesterday on someone who's had that mission on the back burner.

My AoY has to find the #2 mission of towing the ship in and hasn't found it yet. I'll look again later today.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    echatty wrote: »
    I finally found this yesterday on someone who's had that mission on the back burner.

My AoY has to find the #2 mission of towing the ship in and hasn't found it yet. I'll look again later today.

I often get 2/10 in DS9 space.

5/10 is up again in the bottom 4 far western sectors for just under 2 more hours. This time it came up on the 3rd possible cycle. I got it 7 hours after claiming 4/10, but that was only because I didn't get on to look until this cycle was almost 2 hours old. My last character that got it had a significant hang-up on 7/10 and is still looking for 8/10.
  • Options
    anodynes wrote: »

5/10 is up again in the bottom 4 far western sectors for just under 2 more hours. This time it came up on the 3rd possible cycle. I got it 7 hours after claiming 4/10, but that was only because I didn't get on to look until this cycle was almost 2 hours old. My last character that got it had a significant hang-up on 7/10 and is still looking for 8/10.

He actually found it right on the border between Bajor and Cardassia sectors.

Getting close to the end on the one who finally bribed the Ferasan.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    indysharkindyshark Member Posts: 1,543 Arc User
    I missed all of those mission. I tried the sectors you mentioned but had no luck. I hate this mission and wish I could find it and move on!
  • Options
    anodynes wrote: »

He actually found it right on the border between Bajor and Cardassia sectors.

Getting close to the end on the one who finally bribed the Ferasan.

There are a few that are specific to certain sectors, not sector blocks. I found 9/10 like that. I crossed the border from Dubhe sector into Bajor sector and it wasn't there, but when I came back across from Arawath sector into Cardassia sector, I looked again and there it was. Bajor and Cardassia sectors are both part of the Beta Ursae block, which is only still a thing when it comes to DOffing, so that was odd, but I guess some are just that specific.
  • Options
    I can't find 4/10. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    indyshark wrote: »
    I can't find 4/10. Any suggestions?

That one is either in your personal tab or in your science officer tab. I think mine found it sitting on the border at the same spot where he found towing the ship at, which was the border between Bajor and Cardassia sectors. If you have your astrometrics turned on, park yourself right on the big white strip between sectors and gradually cross to the other side of it as well.

That's how most of these are found. Right on the border between sector blocks. And you need to be right on the border, so using astrometrics and not your minimap will allow you to pinpoint your location a lot better.

Looking the mission up on the wiki will help, they tell you the sections where the mission will most likely pop.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • Options
    In my experience, it isn't necessarily about being right on the border, but stopping very soon after you cross it. All that I usually see when crossing from Bajor to Cardassia sector is the drop from the list of assignments specific to that block to the assignments that are generic to that quadrant, or maybe the whole game, but whatever works for you... obviously works for you. :D

Whatever the case, don't try and check the different "blocks" of the quadrants while moving, you'll lose the good assignments so quickly sometimes that you might not even know that they were ever there. Stop as quickly as you can after seeing the fly-in message with the sector name, or even learn to anticipate it a bit, since larger ships drift quite a bit after cutting engine power.

4/10 is a Colonial assignment, so Current Map or Operations department head. Check both as you've crossed into each of the "blocks." The blocks' borders are defined by the thicker light gray lines on the map that where2r1 posted on page 1, but the definitions of the places where the mission sets 'break" are incomplete/oversimplified, so it's best to stop very soon after crossing any of those lines.
  • Options
    I finished the two Characters the other night. Continuing on now to finish Operation Crysalis on both. At 5 of 6.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    I am beginning to think 4/10 does not exist :)
  • Options
    4 of 10 or 5 of 10. 5 is Bribing.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I am beginning to think 4/10 does not exist :)
    keep trying it's not an easy to find one.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Another character has 5/10 now. Late in the cycle due to sleep, but it's up for another 30 minutes in Dubhe sector. This was the second possible cycle for it, including when the previous assignment finished, which I didn't check because of sleep.
  • Options
    I'll check that out. Do you remember which tab the mission appeared in? Where were you in Dubhe?
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    I'll check that out. Do you remember which tab the mission appeared in? Where were you in Dubhe?

That would appear in your Personal tab, or Medical tab.

You would need to *just* cross over the border into Dubhe. Best way to do that is to stop just before you reach it and *slowly* head for the border until you see the fly-in notice that you've crossed. It may also show up in other borders around there too. I had to try several different borders when I was doing this to complete on my main and he's got the last mission going, probably finished #10 by now.

Edit: Yep, he's done and has Gul Tain.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • Options
    Thanks. I'll keep trying.
  • Options
    I think that I'm going to suspend getting this chain done on all of my characters for now and instead focus on getting one up to where I can take 5/10, but don't. That way I can get an idea of how often it comes up, rather than report a sighting roughly every 5 days.

For Bribing the Ferasan (5/10 in the chain) it will always be in Current Map, because that's the only place that Trade assignments show up in space. Position is important for the Southern and Western edge blocks, since they have the problem with the edge of the quadrant map where it won't update to the actual assignments for that sector block if you're about halfway toward the edge, even when crossing block boundaries. I've tested this crossing between Alpha Trianguli and Zeta Andromedae from Algira sector to Orias sector and back in the bottom half of each sector, and they stay at those few generic assignments that you always see the whole time. If I say something is up in Dubhe, it means just barely into Dubhe sector from Bajor sector, the extreme North part. Generally, for something in Bajor sector, it's the opposite, the extreme South of the sector, just after crossing the boundary from Dubhe sector, though with that one, you would also be good crossing into it from the North, since it doesn't suffer from edge of the quadrant map issues. For the Western edge sectors, I always come at them from the East, so barely into the Eastern side of Arawath sector, having crossed in from Cardassia sector, for example.
  • Options
    They said they had 5/10, so I assumed they wanted 6/10, which is in the Personal or Medical tab.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • Options
    I have been all over the map and checking the map edges and I can't find the mission bribing the Feresan. I look all the time all over the map and can't find it. Very frustrating!
  • Options
    Still looking and no success!
  • Options
    Read the STOWiki Article on the Ghosts of the Jem'Hadar Chain, turn on Astrometrics and go to the locations it tells you for your Faction. You will find it.
    Judge Dan Haywood
    l don't know.
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    I swear I have done that, turned on astrometrics and have not found it. I don't know why it isn't working!
This discussion has been closed.