test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Challengers to the Resolute for Most Hated Ship prize?

Comments

• ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 624 Arc User
    D'Deridex is not a bad ship i fly one fine on a ENG Rommie and do a good deal of tanking and dmg with him. Now the Negh'var that is a god awful ship or feels like one. As Picard would say "an overworked, underpowered vessel that was always on the verge of flying apart at the seams,"

maR4zDV.jpg
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 7,579 Arc User
    lianthelia wrote: »
    Personally I think the Universe is the fugliest ship I've ever seen.
    Agreed. It looks like a normal Fed ship run over by a steamroller, Wile E. Coyote style.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 2,854 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »
    Both the Crossfield and Universe are amazing looking ships.​​
    Ok, now we know this guy is a troll. The magnificent Excelsior is ugly but he Universe looks amazing? Pffffffffttttttt.

coldnapalm wrote: »
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I doubt it can curbstomp a T6 Sovy that's well built.
    No it's not even debatable. The Intel Sovereign's T6 "universal" boff seat gives you 2 poor choices. The first is to use science which is the default choice since it has zero science boff abilities otherwise. While doing so is the obvious choice, you end up with a mostly useless lieutenan commander sci boff slot UNLESS you run OSS3. Otherwise it's useless since the ship doesn't have a secondary deflector. The second poor choice you have is to run a 3rd tac slot. While this might be tempting and gives you good firepower, it leaves the ship exposed since it wouldn't be able to get hazard emitters or any other clearing abilities. Let's not even mention the absolutely terrible choice of slotting a 3rd engineering boff. With this ship, you must pick science for the universal slot. It's usually best IMO to run OSS3 and two sci powers. The Sovereign also has a crappy lieutenant engineering slot to go with it's commander engineering slot. 6 engineering boff powers is too many and you end up with a lot of wasted potential.

The T6 D'deridex has a "universal" lieutenant slot in which the only good choice is to go tac. This gives you a total of 3 tac stations, Lt. Comm, Lieutenant and Ensign. A total of 6 tac boff powers which is superior to the Sovereign's weak slotting of only 4 tac boff powers. The D'Deridex also gives you 4 engineering boff powers which is pretty much optimal and less wasteful than the Sovereign's unnecessary 6 engineering boff powers. Both ships end up having 3 science boff powers with the Intel Sovereign having access to the awesome ability of OSS3. Having OSS3 is the only nice thing about the Intel Sovereign in my opinion. But I'd rather have access to the 6 tac boff slots over OSS3 which will be wasted on a ship that only has 4 tac boff powers.

The T6 D'Deridex is the superior ship and it isn't even close. The above information doesn't even mention having battle cloak without using a horrific 3 piece set. Also, it goes without saying that the pilot is the most important aspect of whether one ship would defeat another.

Actually, I use that uni slot on the intel sovvy for hazard 1, oss2 and oss3. That boosts DPS is a good chunck as you will have a pretty good uptime of OSS with that setup. Even on a A2B build, you want two copies of OSS. Also on anA2B build, 6 engineer slots is not too much as you are gonna use 2 slots for A2B, 3 slots for EPtX (personally I use EPtW, EPtA and EPtE...why aux when you dump it for A2B? Because with so much power, I keep aux high so even with A2B, I can get the amp bonus) and 1 for ET.

Now with the DD, I tend to not run A2B actually and use other methods to reduce abilities to run global. In fact I use a LOT of resources to get this ship to run things at global. That means however that I can run A2D with 100% uptime and EPtE. Which gives this ship a pretty decent boost in mobility (and actually more fun than the sovvy because of it). May not be the most efficent method of building out this ship...but without that combo, I find this ship pretty much unusable for me. Even if I went with the more efficent A2B build and run only two EPtX over three and have a LOT of tact powers, I find that does not overcome the power of dual OSS however. And regardless, I am running the DD without any ET...which makes it significantly squisher.

Yeah the sovvy is a better ship...if only because OSS2+OSS3 is a butch boost to damage.
    Those are pretty valid and well thought out comments but I don't see such a build beating an equivalent player running a D'Deridex. The Sovereign with dual OSS would get a good DPS score in PVE though. I mean, don't get me wrong, neither ship is good for PVP but I see the D'Deridex winning the battle.
    A beam boat cruiser with 3 Tac consoles and 5 Engineering consoles.. *yawn*.. pass. I'll agree though, superior to the Samsar but that's all I will give it. The Samsar is about the only thing that that keeps me from rating it dead last.

The 3/5 layout can be overcome with beams, but it still loses points for having a stupid handicap that must be overcome. The 3/5 layout serves the same function as all those engineering stations on the Galaxy or Sovereign, it handcuffs it to one type of build. At least the Archon is really really good at that one build, the Ytijara will only ever be a medicore beam cruiser. They could have at least given it a good console or trait.. even the Samsar had the console going for it once upon a time.
    The main thing that makes the Ytijara better is it's vastly superior boff layout. 3 tac consoles isn't great but it's sufficient for the typical player. But being able to slot 6 tac boff powers over the Samsar's pathetic 2 makes the Ytijara way more desirable and probably better than some of the more meh c-store ships like the Resolute, Andromeda etc.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 3,418 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    echatty wrote: »
    Pretty much what sea said.

Everyone has a build that works for them. But what works for some may not work for others, and vice-versa.

That's why there are so many ships and so many ways to build them. I have my preferences and everyone else has theirs and we can all work together on that.

I've never done a mine layer, nor a torpedo boat nor a turret build, but I'm interested in maybe trying them out sometime just for fun, but I'd never inflict myself on a team unless I at least had an idea of what I can or can't do.
    I haven't tried most of those either.

I have, however, tired a torpedo-boat build on my trusty FT5-U Rhode Island. I won't go into great detail - posting build specifics isn't my thing. All I'll say is that I use a mix of torpeodes that have a secondary effect (Quantum phase for example) and shift all weapon power to Auxiliary. With Aux at 130, the sci powers - drain or EPG depending on which build I'm using - pack a nice punch and combine nicely with the torpedoes and their procs.

Thanks for the tips. I can always experiment. I do have the RI refit (not T5U), as well as quite a few other ships I can play with on my main acct. My F2P has a very limited choice of ships, so not much yet to play with. Still, I like to play around and have fun, so we'll see.

I'm always open to reasonable suggestions. :)
    Now a LTS and loving it.

Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.

xp8s7wd.jpg
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 9,529 Bug Hunter
    Both the Crossfield and Universe are amazing looking ships.
    Ok, now we know this guy is a troll. The magnificent Excelsior is ugly but he Universe looks amazing? Pffffffffttttttt.

The E*******r is a stupid, overbalanced, accordion necked bastardisation of the fantastic designs that came before it like the NX, Conni Refit, Cardenas, Newton, Miranda, Constellation, Kelvin, and so on.

The Universe is the future. It's a insight into what would happen if technology advanced to the point where nacelles and pylons didn't need to be in balance with the saucer.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 44,464 Arc User
    The E*******r is a stupid, overbalanced, accordion necked bastardisation of the fantastic designs that came before it like the NX, Conni Refit, Cardenas, Newton, Miranda, Constellation, Kelvin, and so on.

The Universe is the future. It's a insight into what would happen if technology advanced to the point where nacelles and pylons didn't need to be in balance with the saucer.​​

I honestly don't know about the Universe, other than she was designed very quickly, unlike most other ships.

As for the Excelsior... she's a product of her time. Started life as a testbed for Transwarp tech, which may have influenced the design, and later became a frontline cruiser for the late 23rd Century. Hell... Excelsiors were still active well into the late 24th and fought during the Dominion War. While I love the Connie Refit... the Excelsior actually looks like it can take a hit. And with it being a bigger ship, its better suited for the multi-role setup that most Federation starships are designed for. More space for more facilities.
    66998372863950ee98cf7da9786e2ea9-db80k0m.png
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out a Delta Pack, Temporal Pack, and Gamma Pack
    The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    rattler2 wrote: »

The Universe is the future. It's a insight into what would happen if technology advanced to the point where nacelles and pylons didn't need to be in balance with the saucer.

I honestly don't know about the Universe, other than she was designed very quickly, unlike most other ships.

As for the Excelsior... she's a product of her time. Started life as a testbed for Transwarp tech, which may have influenced the design, and later became a frontline cruiser for the late 23rd Century. Hell... Excelsiors were still active well into the late 24th and fought during the Dominion War. While I love the Connie Refit... the Excelsior actually looks like it can take a hit. And with it being a bigger ship, its better suited for the multi-role setup that most Federation starships are designed for. More space for more facilities.

Compared to the sturdy looks of the Miranda, Kelvin, or the Constellation it looks like it'd snap under moderate stress (kinda like the Galaxy in that regard).

Obviously that doesn't translate into actual durability as, due to the lack of availability of Ambasador models, the E*******r was the go to TNG hero ship of the week.

And the Crossfield was built as a testbed and yet still manages to look designed and not like it was cobbled together from parts that don't fit.​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,211 Arc User
    The Excelsior has proven to be a rugged and versatile design, the fact it's been in service for over a century says how effective the ship still is. Excelsiors are the workhorse of the fleet and that is reflected in it's long service with Starfleet.
    blackadder_tribute_by_finchley.jpg

• nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,470 Arc User
    The Excelsior has proven to be a rugged and versatile design, the fact it's been in service for over a century says how effective the ship still is. Excelsiors are the workhorse of the fleet and that is reflected in it's long service with Starfleet.

Or the budget of the effects department using existing stuff to cut costs for the shows. :D
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
    nimbull wrote: »

Or the budget of the effects department using existing stuff to cut costs for the shows. :D

Making TV ain't cheap

The Universe looks like the ship equivalent of hitting the "randomize" button in the STO costume editor.

The Universe looks like the ship equivalent of hitting the "randomize" button in the STO costume editor.

cNJ1GUu.jpg
  • bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    lianthelia wrote: »
    Personally I think the Universe is the fugliest ship I've ever seen.
    Agreed. It looks like a normal Fed ship run over by a steamroller, Wile E. Coyote style.

WRONG. The enterprise J is one of the most better designs and futuristic looking from a canon perspective. As such it represents the future flagship of Star Trek. Most of the time those who hate that ship in game are jealous since they can't afford the EC to buy it.​​
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
  • starcruiser#3423 starcruiser Member Posts: 478 Arc User
    if you are looking for a fugly:

Anyone feel like cutting that PIZZA!

hqdefault.jpg​​
    edited July 11

hqdefault.jpg​​

dea2_enterprise_pizza_cutter.jpg

dea2_enterprise_pizza_cutter_inuse_embed.jpg

hqdefault.jpg​​

It looks like a child's toy bike lol

• mneme0mneme0 Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    The Nautilus is a temporal ship designed for one purpose only: to go back in time and ensure it gets designed a different way.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,372 Community Moderator
    The best description I saw for the Nautilus was "LOL space wheelbarrow". :D
    "Two ways to view the world, so similar at times / Two ways to rule the world, to justify their crimes / By Kings and Queens young men are sent to die in war / Their propaganda speaks those words been heard before"
    — Sabaton, "A Lifetime of War"
    9MUythl.png
    (Still in development)
    Volunteer community moderator for Star Trek Online forums. I am not a Cryptic or Perfect World employee, and comments made without [Mod Hat/] notation are my own opinions and do not reflect company policy. If you do see me put on my [Mod Hat/], please pay attention because I am speaking as a moderator.
  • ruinthefunruinthefun Member Posts: 1,890 Arc User
    It looks like a child's toy bike lol
    Someone photoshop Q riding one.

• seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 6,437 Arc User
    The Nautilus is absolutely ridiculous. Such a silly design, hard to believe someone thought that people would actually like that.
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.

ncaStLJ.jpg
  • kaggert27kaggert27 Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    My problem with the Nautilus is they gave it the flange around the middle to go with the other 26th Century Temporal Ships. And made it come off as more of a evolution of the Hope Class (One of the Research Science Vessel skins) more than the Daedalus.

If anything to could have made the central primary hull more sharp edged down center, removed the flange on the secondary hull and made it part of the "Spine" of the bottom half (the one shared with the curvature of the primary) for the dark visual hull material that all of 26th Century Ships use. Maybe make the Primary Hull more ellipsoid/oblate spheroid shaped for the main axis? = () vs the current 0 because right now the profile of the ship, the engines overshadow the overall shape to a degree to me.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 6,403 Arc User
    Nice to see today's update.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • reyan01reyan01 Member Posts: 11,759 Arc User
    Not going to apologise for repeating this, but am convinved that the Nova class qualifies - the Devs clearly hate it.

Despite having a terrible quality, horribly inaccurate, in-game model the Devs continue to ignore it.
    3U3C0SJ.jpg

• questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 6,403 Arc User
    Not going to apologise for repeating this, but am convinved that the Nova class qualifies - the Devs clearly hate it.

Despite having a terrible quality, horribly inaccurate, in-game model the Devs continue to ignore it.

Agreed. The Nova is totally deserving of said update.
    Still feel like a new model is going to be introduced some time in the future with the eternal ensign playing captain in a featured episode.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 1,876 Arc User

hqdefault.jpg​​
    Well I like it because it's hull and saucer represent a nautilus, however I find the nautilus design to be the better design out of the c-store temporal ships which look like pancakes with nacelles attached, and the 31st century temporal ships look terribly generic.
  • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,270 Arc User
    Doesn't everyone?

I mean, what redeeming qualities does the Nova have? It's trait could be "Improved Paperweight" with it's unique console being an actual doorstop.

Jokes aside, I believe it is a matter of apathy, not hate. I'm sure Cryptic's view of the Nova is "meh". Maybe if you made a thread on Reddit and got it bumped every day for a week they would make a new or updated Nova. That would probably more productive than lamenting on the "official" forums that receives no substantial dev interactions.
    edited July 18
    The Nautilus is absolutely ridiculous. Such a silly design, hard to believe someone thought that people would actually like that.

Honestly, I love the design. It's such a unique look that actually works IMO.
    redvenge wrote: »
    I mean, what redeeming qualities does the Nova have? It's trait could be "Improved Paperweight" with it's unique console being an actual doorstop.

Pretty much everyone's reaction to that ship is "meh." It's just a pygmy sovereign that was squeezed down smaller digitally.

I'd rather get the Norway first as it isn't ingame at all, but a revamped T6 Nova and/or Rhode Island would be great.​​

#TASforSTO

• seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 6,437 Arc User
    edited July 19
    I guess it seems to be agreed that the Samsar is the universally excepted 'worst of the worst.'

The Resolute is off the hook.

I will also submit that there is one ship that's been forgotten that is also worse then the Resolute. I give you, the steaming pile of Mediocrity that is the Concorde Command Battlecruiser.

This floating hunk of space garbage has a Lt. Universal that seems to make it better then the Resolute, but it can still only slot up to lt. level Tactical abilities while the Resolute despite it's restrictions can still run FAW III. The Concorde also doesn't have the Weapon Systems Efficiency Cruiser command which definitely sucks.

As bad as the Concorde is though, I don't think it can dethrone the Samsar as the worst of the worst.
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.

ncaStLJ.jpg