test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] New Featured Episode: Home

124»

Comments

• tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    1) At what point did Loriss become so psychotic?

2) I walked away from the ending, as if I had just watch a tv series that had been unexpectedly cancelled...
    "OK folks.. time to wrap this bad boy up."
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    They still don't reset the Weekly Bonus when they activate the new Mission Reward on Thursday. Still that seven day nonsense.

The ground combat caused me to die multiple times on my Gamma Recruit. I was wondering whether there was a Temporal Anomaly and I ended up in Starcraft.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • maddllamamaddllama Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    Can you guys fix the rewards for the mission so that they scale to MK XII like other FE rewards? Got the beam/turret, but it will not upgrade as I level my Cardi. Other than that, good version of Starship Troopers.
    5444373MbVxa.png
    @kmhknight

My campaign: The Madness Plague.
    My quest: Blacklake Gold

My guild: "The Older" Age 30+, Casual
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    tousseau wrote: »
    Honestly, Loriss was always like this. In "Of Bajor" there are several ways the attempted negotiations can go, in some of them Loriss actually yells at you to shut up. Then there's the scene where she yells at Kar'ukan. "You must obey! YOU MUST!"

Loriss is only sweet and nice when she wants to be.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    tousseau wrote: »
    Honestly, Loriss was always like this. In "Of Bajor" there are several ways the attempted negotiations can go, in some of them Loriss actually yells at you to shut up. Then there's the scene where she yells at Kar'ukan. "You must obey! YOU MUST!"

Loriss is only sweet and nice when she wants to be.
    *Hands Loriss a box of chocolates...*
  • vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    yakodym wrote: »

(Also: Bashir, I thought you were supposed to be super smart... Did you really need the tricorder to figure out Weyoun is dead after taking a polaron blast in the head execution style?)

To be fair, this is almost a throwback to today's world. For example in the unfortunate event of a person being hit by a fast-moving train, and the consequences - which I need not describe here, a Doctor STILL has to attend the scene to confirm death (at least that is the case here in the UK). I suspect it has more to do with administration/reports than anything else.

vorwoda wrote: »
    A couple of other points:

1) What happened to Loriss's voice? Did they switch actresses? If so, I liked the old one MUCH better! She had smarmy Vorta charm, while the shrieking harridan we got here was just jarring.

Pretty sure it is still Michele Specht (who also played Dr McKenna in Star Trek Continues) voicing Loriss.

And I quite liked it to be honest - fair to say not everyone reacts to pressure the same way; Loriss clearly gets flustered when this is the case.

Thanks for clearing that up! We saw her in the 2800 under the pressure of having her own Jem'Hadar First going rogue and attempting to kill her and her Founder, yet she remained relatively calm, if a bit frustrated. She struck me as a pretty cool cucumber, like every other Vorta we've seen until ViL. So it sounds like a case of bad directing, in removing her spine this time out, rather than replacing a fine voice actress. The lesser of two evils, I suppose.

I can see your viewpoint; but I'm not a fan of 'planet of hats' - that is to say that every member of a species/culture has a defining characteristic that they don't deviate from.

It's a little more tricky with the Vorta as they're genetically engineered - but on the other hand, one underying theme of the ViL/Gamma Quadrant arc was the Jem'Hadar realising that they could be more than the sum of their parts.

So why couldn't the same apply the Vorta? Whyshould all Vorta be "a cool cucumber"? A LOT happened in this arc, some of which very likely made Loris see things a little differently. Add to this the fact that the Prophets saw something in her that caught their attention enough to warrant first contact between the Vorta and the Prophets and we have a scenario that really isn't a cut-and-dry as it would seem.

I'm familiar with the term "planet of hats" (I'm a fan of tvtropes.org, too). ;) And while I appreciate your excellent points, and that even fictitious individuals should be more than stereotypes, Loriss herself was previously shown to be relatively cool under tremendous pressure, so the change in her seems (from my point of view) not so much an example of intraspecies diversity, as it is an example of inconsistent writing within one character.

Mark indicated there were dialogue choices in "Of Bajor" when she went off the rails, but despite playing that episode on nine characters over the years (and trying different tactics), all I got was smarmy superiority - I never had her yell at me to shut up! I'd love to know which chain leads to that end, but not enough to suffer through Commander Achebe again and again!
    She doesn't actually say the phrase "shut up". but she cuts Kurland off mid-sentence by yelling at him, "Enough!"
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Ah, OK. I have seen that. :)
    (Also: Bashir, I thought you were supposed to be super smart... Did you really need the tricorder to figure out Weyoun is dead after taking a polaron blast in the head execution style?)
    To be fair, this is almost a throwback to today's world. For example in the unfortunate event of a person being hit by a fast-moving train, and the consequences - which I need not describe here, a Doctor STILL has to attend the scene to confirm death (at least that is the case here in the UK). I suspect it has more to do with administration/reports than anything else.

1) What happened to Loriss's voice? Did they switch actresses? If so, I liked the old one MUCH better! She had smarmy Vorta charm, while the shrieking harridan we got here was just jarring.
    Pretty sure it is still Michele Specht (who also played Dr McKenna in Star Trek Continues) voicing Loriss.

And I quite liked it to be honest - fair to say not everyone reacts to pressure the same way; Loriss clearly gets flustered when this is the case.
    Thanks for clearing that up! We saw her in the 2800 under the pressure of having her own Jem'Hadar First going rogue and attempting to kill her and her Founder, yet she remained relatively calm, if a bit frustrated. She struck me as a pretty cool cucumber, like every other Vorta we've seen until ViL. So it sounds like a case of bad directing, in removing her spine this time out, rather than replacing a fine voice actress. The lesser of two evils, I suppose.
    I can see your viewpoint; but I'm not a fan of 'planet of hats' - that is to say that every member of a species/culture has a defining characteristic that they don't deviate from.

It's a little more tricky with the Vorta as they're genetically engineered - but on the other hand, one underying theme of the ViL/Gamma Quadrant arc was the Jem'Hadar realising that they could be more than the sum of their parts.

So why couldn't the same apply the Vorta? Whyshould all Vorta be "a cool cucumber"? A LOT happened in this arc, some of which very likely made Loris see things a little differently. Add to this the fact that the Prophets saw something in her that caught their attention enough to warrant first contact between the Vorta and the Prophets and we have a scenario that really isn't a cut-and-dry as it would seem.
    I'm familiar with the term "planet of hats" (I'm a fan of tvtropes.org, too). ;) And while I appreciate your excellent points, and that even fictitious individuals should be more than stereotypes, Loriss herself was previously shown to be relatively cool under tremendous pressure, so the change in her seems (from my point of view) not so much an example of intraspecies diversity, as it is an example of inconsistent writing within one character.

Mark indicated there were dialogue choices in "Of Bajor" when she went off the rails, but despite playing that episode on nine characters over the years (and trying different tactics), all I got was smarmy superiority - I never had her yell at me to shut up! I'd love to know which chain leads to that end, but not enough to suffer through Commander Achebe again and again!
    Excellent point.

I'd like to be able to say that perhaps the Loriss who accompanied us in 'Home' isn't the same one as we encountered in 'Of Bajor', but there isn't any evidence to support that whatsoever.

However, if there were it would support her change in personality, as we have seen evidence within the series itself that Vorta clones don't always have the exact same personality and character traits as their predessors - Weyoun 6 ("Treachery, Faith and the Great River") being the best example of this.
    >_<' It's blatantly stated that it was Loriss 3 who took over DS9 and Loriss 4 who we see in ViL. To my knowledge there is no explanation of WHY that is, but Loriss mentions it when we first meet her.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing

Excellent point.

I'd like to be able to say that perhaps the Loriss who accompanied us in 'Home' isn't the same one as we encountered in 'Of Bajor', but there isn't any evidence to support that whatsoever.

However, if there were it would support her change in personality, as we have seen evidence within the series itself that Vorta clones don't always have the exact same personality and character traits as their predessors - Weyoun 6 ("Treachery, Faith and the Great River") being the best example of this.
    >_<' It's blatantly stated that it was Loriss 3 who took over DS9 and Loriss 4 who we see in ViL. To my knowledge there is no explanation of WHY that is, but Loriss mentions it when we first meet her.

You're right. I'd forgotten that! It still sounds like a radically different voice, though. Her tones were dulcet before, and now (even in her sweeter moments at the temple) she sounds much raspier and gruffer. That's why I suspected they'd changed actresses, but maybe she's just been chain smoking since the 2800. :)
  • poseidolonposeidolon Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    I really wanted to play Dominion, but I guess I have to play purple Federation.
    I wish there were a way to keep my dependency on Ketracel as a Jem'Hadar and remain true to the Founders.
    The ending of this episode was deeply disappointing.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User

Excellent point.

It is also possible that she has an irrational fear of insects or the like, being thrown into a high-stress situation full of phobia objects can cause something like that. The unaccustomed screaming and shouting could also be why her voice is slightly rough at the temple afterwards.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I seem to recall one of the Blogs stating that such-and-such was glad to be back reprising her role as Loriss. Why all the talk about different actresses/voice is beyond me.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns

Excellent point.

It is also possible that she has an irrational fear of insects or the like, being thrown into a high-stress situation full of phobia objects can cause something like that. The unaccustomed screaming and shouting could also be why her voice is slightly rough at the temple afterwards.

OK, that's a GREAT explanation. I'll buy that. :) But she'd better have her voice back by next time! ;)
    ltminns wrote: »
    I seem to recall one of the Blogs stating that such-and-such was glad to be back reprising her role as Loriss. Why all the talk about different actresses/voice is beyond me.

Because
    a) I must have missed that blog, and
    b) it certainly sounded like a different voice to me, so I asked, and
    c) many people were kind enough to answer. My thanks to all who did!
  • richyrich1991richyrich1991 Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    Ok I left this later than I'd like but damn that was good! was kinda hoping for a social hub in the Gamma Quadrant to be revealed (so we don't have to keep flying back and forth through the wormhole) but the mission itself was fantastic!

Plus, I now have this epic shot of my Jem'Hadar :D

JUva0lq.jpg
    "As of this moment, we are all dead. We go into battle to reclaim our lives.
    This we do gladly, for we are Jem'Hadar. Victory is Life!"
    njflWNG.jpg