test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Flashing grass on Risa

frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,266 Arc User
Holodeck ticket 4,724,452 (submitted on 06/25/2018)

The grass on Risa flashes as I move around. When this happens, the geometry of the grass is briefly visible before the textures pop in. The grass geometry looks like a solid green object without textures. Usually, I see the bug when my character is moving, but sometimes the bug can be triggered by simply moving the camera. The bug does not occur when the camera is still.

I first learned of this bug four days ago on Reddit. FrankObolobolopoulos told me that he saw "random ghostly green rocks etc. flickering in and out of existence on Nomulus and Risa". At the time, I didn't know what he was talking about. After checking out Risa for myself, I concluded that the "ghosts" he saw weren't rocks, but grass.

https://old.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/8sech8/lightingshadow_flickering/e10d895/

Videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2DpRqpLioI (Lighting 2.0: Off)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvdnUvIfw00 (Lighting 2.0: On)

Steps to reproduce

1. Go to Risa.
2. Turn Lighting 2.0 off.
3. Activate a floater and fly around Risa.
4. Pay attention to the grass, and notice that it flashes as you move.
5. Turn Lighting 2.0 on. Repeat steps 3 and 4.

Graphics Settings

https://i.imgur.com/uIVIUtd.png
https://i.imgur.com/SOwokAm.png
https://i.imgur.com/c8I2gGk.png

System Information

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit), Service Pack 1
CPU: Intel Core i7-4700MQ
RAM: 12 GB
Video card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 765M (2 GB GDDR5)


Vanilla edit monster, don't eat this bug report.
Waiting for a programmer ...

qVpg1km.png
«1

Comments

  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 5,924 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    Wow...that looks weird in the You tube vid. Once in a while the jungle trees taking a bit longer to fill in for me.
    But it is not even close to what you guys are seeing with the grass "popping in" way too late and in layers (?).

    I can definitively say: I was not seeing that last night when we were on Risa together.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

    “Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,266 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »
    Wow...that looks weird in the You tube vid. Once in a while the jungle trees taking a bit longer to fill in for me.
    But it is not even close to what you guys are seeing with the grass "popping in" way too late and in layers (?).

    I can definitively say: I was not seeing that last night when we were on Risa together.

    I'm not sure why I'm seeing this bug and you're not. I tried changing a bunch of graphics settings, but the bug wouldn't go away no matter what I did. I also tried the 32-bit client, but that didn't fix it either. In fact, it seems to happen slightly more often in the 32-bit client, probably because there's less memory for textures.
    Waiting for a programmer ...

    qVpg1km.png
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 5,924 Arc User
    frtoaster wrote: »
    I'm not sure why I'm seeing this bug and you're not. I tried changing a bunch of graphics settings, but the bug wouldn't go away no matter what I did. I also tried the 32-bit client, but that didn't fix it either. In fact, it seems to happen slightly more often in the 32-bit client, probably because there's less memory for textures.

    Are you playing on a laptop?
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

    “Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 5,924 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    Hey! @frtoaster I just got it to do that weird thing on my computer!!

    I turned off shadows. It does look worse on the grass that is growing on the mountain sides.

    So....try Risa with shadows on LOW, at least, see if it helps.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

    “Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 5,924 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    I don't think shadows should be messing that badly with the grass, though.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

    “Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,266 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »
    Wow...that looks weird in the You tube vid. Once in a while the jungle trees taking a bit longer to fill in for me.
    But it is not even close to what you guys are seeing with the grass "popping in" way too late and in layers (?).

    I can definitively say: I was not seeing that last night when we were on Risa together.
    frtoaster wrote: »
    I'm not sure why I'm seeing this bug and you're not. I tried changing a bunch of graphics settings, but the bug wouldn't go away no matter what I did. I also tried the 32-bit client, but that didn't fix it either. In fact, it seems to happen slightly more often in the 32-bit client, probably because there's less memory for textures.

    OK, I did some more testing tonight, and I think I know now why you may not be seeing the bug. For some reason, this bug is related to the "Shadows" setting. I normally have "Shadows" set to "Off". If I set "Shadows" to "Low", "Medium", or "High", I no longer see the light green blobs. However, I still see blue-green flashes as I fly along the grass. So there might be two different bugs here. In my judgment, both bugs are caused by the grass geometry becoming visible when it shouldn't be. Also, a friend of mine told me that she doesn't see the light green blobs if "Limit Frame Rate" is set to 30, but she does if it's set to 60.
    Waiting for a programmer ...

    qVpg1km.png
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 5,924 Arc User
    frtoaster wrote: »
    where2r1 wrote: »
    Wow...that looks weird in the You tube vid. Once in a while the jungle trees taking a bit longer to fill in for me.
    But it is not even close to what you guys are seeing with the grass "popping in" way too late and in layers (?).

    I can definitively say: I was not seeing that last night when we were on Risa together.
    frtoaster wrote: »
    I'm not sure why I'm seeing this bug and you're not. I tried changing a bunch of graphics settings, but the bug wouldn't go away no matter what I did. I also tried the 32-bit client, but that didn't fix it either. In fact, it seems to happen slightly more often in the 32-bit client, probably because there's less memory for textures.

    OK, I did some more testing tonight, and I think I know now why you may not be seeing the bug. For some reason, this bug is related to the "Shadows" setting. I normally have "Shadows" set to "Off". If I set "Shadows" to "Low", "Medium", or "High", I no longer see the light green blobs. However, I still see blue-green flashes as I fly along the grass. So there might be two different bugs here. In my judgment, both bugs are caused by the grass geometry becoming visible when it shouldn't be. Also, a friend of mine told me that she doesn't see the light green blobs if "Limit Frame Rate" is set to 30, but she does if it's set to 60.

    LOL! We must have been typing at the same time.

    Anyhoo...I am off the computer for the night. :)
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

    “Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,266 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »
    Are you playing on a laptop?

    Yes.

    where2r1 wrote: »
    LOL! We must have been typing at the same time.

    Yes, it seems that way.

    where2r1 wrote: »
    I don't think shadows should be messing that badly with the grass, though.

    I have no clue why grass is related to the "Shadows" setting, but that's what's happening. Hopefully, this will be enough information for them to debug it.
    Waiting for a programmer ...

    qVpg1km.png
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 5,924 Arc User
    frtoaster wrote: »
    where2r1 wrote: »
    I don't think shadows should be messing that badly with the grass, though.

    I have no clue why grass is related to the "Shadows" setting, but that's what's happening. Hopefully, this will be enough information for them to debug it.

    Although, I think this is the second time we found "Shadows" setting messing graphics up.
    From now on, when you see something (and if I am there and I don't)....should try "shadow" settings, first....even if it does not make any sense at all (like this grass thing).
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

    “Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,131 Arc User
    I've been experiencing this bug on New Romulus for at least the last few weeks. I'm not thrilled to hear this will likely be happening on Risa as well. I don't run Lighting 2.0 but I do have my shadows turned on High so shadows alone don't seem to be the problem, at least not for me.

    One other thing I am noticing though is that for at least the last 2 months every time I start up the game, I need to readjust my Brightness settings in the game. It's far too dark initially so I go in and adjust it one notch in either direction and then set it back to where I normally have it and it'll stay that way until I close the game and restart. Saving the setting does nothing so I need to do this every time.

    Also, DS9 is very dark and none of the workarounds I've found actually work for me, aside from turning on Lighting 2.0. But Lighting 2.0 is such a drag on my system in some maps I just stick with L1.0 instead of having to go in and change it all the time.

    Then there is the "line" being drawn on most ground maps I've seen and at least one space map (the final space battle at the end of Boldly They Rode, the lower half of DS9 is missing during that fight) and I see you have both commented there as well. :)

    Perhaps all these things are related in some oddball way?
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

    Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 5,924 Arc User
    Are you using a NVIDIA video card in your computer?

    I see what you are seeing when I turn bloom on, when it takes a second to adjust. Maybe yours is not adjusting like it should. Try turning Bloom off and turning it back on (or vice versa)...instead of adjusting your brightness.

    Neither Frtoaster or I have been able to figure out the horizontal line going across most interiors of buildings, caves, etc. when using Lighting 1.0....that disappears when using Lighting 2.0. And why we are seeing it after ViL patch.

    He thinks it has something to do with how buildings are oriented on a map. They use those lines to make sure the "asset" (or several assets) is oriented to each other and the "ground", properly. I do not notice that horizon line in outdoor scenes in the game. I am sure it is there, somewhere. But why we can see it now....beats me.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

    “Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 5,924 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    BTW....they make tweaks to the graphics and animation in this game quite often.....and never gets in the patch notes. I am going to assume...those of us with older video cards or older computers, are more effected by it.

    And I am probably not going to replace anything on my system...just for STO (the only action video game I play).
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

    “Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,131 Arc User
    I'm using an old AMD Radeon R7 200 series, I forget the exact model. I don't run bloom, have hated it since I first saw it in a game years ago and have disabled it in every game since. I don't exactly run my settings on low, but I do dislike a lot of the options that (supposedly) make games look "better", so I disable them. Bloom, depth of field and lens flare come to mind for STO. Ambient Occlusion(?) is another that drags my system down, but if I could run it I would.

    I'm not currently in game but the next time I am I'll make a list of what settings I have.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

    Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,131 Arc User
    Okay, here are my current settings.

    Display

    Display Mode - Windowed Maxed
    Fullscreen Resolution - 1920x1080 @ 60hz
    Fullscreen Refresh Rate - 60hz
    Brightness - 100%
    Monitor vertical sync - ON
    Antialiasing - MSAA - 8x

    Graphics

    Screen

    Postprocessing - ON
    Bloom Quality - OFF
    Screen-space ambient occlusion - OFF
    Cinematic Focus - OFF
    Lens Flare - OFF
    Underwater view - ON

    Effects

    Texture anisotropic filtering - 16x
    Visual fx quality - HIGH
    Soft particles - ON
    Reflection quality - HIGH

    Detail

    World Detail Distance - HIGH
    Terrain detail distance - HIGH
    Character detail distance - HIGH
    Show high detail objects - ON
    Max physics debris objects - 5

    Lights

    Lighting 2.0 - OFF
    Dynamic lighting - ON
    Shadows - HIGH
    Max lights per object - 3
    Max shadowed lights - 2

    Advanced

    Reduced file streaming - ON
    Software cursor - OFF
    Minimum shadow buffer bias - OFF
    Reduce CPU/GPU usage - OFF
    Bloom intensity - 0%
    World texture detail - 200%
    Character texture detail - 200%
    Framerate stablilizer - OFF
    Auto-stabilize framerate - OFF
    Limit CPU usage when inactive - ON
    Multi-core rendering - ON
    Limit framerate - 30
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

    Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,131 Arc User
    I forgot to comment on this, and I do not want the edit monster to eat my post with my settings.
    where2r1 wrote: »

    Neither Frtoaster or I have been able to figure out the horizontal line going across most interiors of buildings, caves, etc. when using Lighting 1.0....that disappears when using Lighting 2.0. And why we are seeing it after ViL patch.

    He thinks it has something to do with how buildings are oriented on a map. They use those lines to make sure the "asset" (or several assets) is oriented to each other and the "ground", properly. I do not notice that horizon line in outdoor scenes in the game. I am sure it is there, somewhere. But why we can see it now....beats me.

    I started noticing it when the Renegades Regret was released, but it got much worse when ViL launched. Any time I interacted with Neth Parr in the holding area, the line was there at about her upper chest/lower shoulder area, but only on her model, not the surrounding textures. When she would move, the line stayed put so it looked almost like she was moving past a window. Not sure how else to describe it. I almost thought it may have had something to do with the shield on the cell being a "transparent" texture and it not fully going away after releasing her. But now that I see it on all ground maps, I have no idea. Not like I'm good at figuring this type of thing out anyway. :)
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

    Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 5,924 Arc User
    Today, I was chasing Romulans in the Ketha Lowlands.... tons of grass there.
    Just for testing....Turned OFF "Shadows".
    And lo and behold....grass was OK. Just lost a lot of depth in details because there was no shadows.

    So, whatever update happened on Risa, did not happen to the older KDF missions. Hopefully, that would help with hunting this down.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

    “Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 5,924 Arc User
    Ummm.... @iamynaught

    Try DS9 with Bloom Quality ON (under Postprocessing)...with Bloom Intensity set to 0% in the Advanced Tab. That is how I have it set on mine. And I can see in DS9 without a problem.

    Screen Space Ambient Occlusion is the only thing I have turned OFF under Post Processing.
    What that does is feather out the edges and corners with shadows to blend it in better.
    For me...it just makes First City feel darker, so I leave it off.

    World Detail Distance, Terrain detail distance, and Character detail distance.
    Mine is set to: Medium, High, Medium.

    Max physics debris objects. Mine is set to 200.
    I don't see how you can tell what is exploding or if you can see Party Poppers working at all with it set at 5.

    World texture detail and Character texture detail:
    Mine is set at 100% and it says it does not help if higher. Yours is set for 200%!!!
    If you are having texture loading problems that is where I would start.

    And why have you decided to limit frame rate to 30? Mine is at 60.
    I thought most monitors refresh at 60. Are you on a laptop, too?
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

    “Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,266 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    iamynaught wrote: »
    I've been experiencing this bug on New Romulus for at least the last few weeks. I'm not thrilled to hear this will likely be happening on Risa as well. I don't run Lighting 2.0 but I do have my shadows turned on High so shadows alone don't seem to be the problem, at least not for me.
    where2r1 wrote: »
    Although, I think this is the second time we found "Shadows" setting messing graphics up.
    From now on, when you see something (and if I am there and I don't)....should try "shadow" settings, first....even if it does not make any sense at all (like this grass thing).

    To be clear, I still see the blue-green flashes when shadows are off; only the light green ones go away. If you don't know what blue-green flashes I'm talking about, rewatch the video that I recorded with Lighting 2.0 turned on.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvdnUvIfw00 (Lighting 2.0: On)

    The blue-green flashes appear when Lighting 2.0 is off too, even with shadows enabled.


    Fixed URL. Vanilla, please don't eat my post.
    Waiting for a programmer ...

    qVpg1km.png
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,266 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    where2r1 wrote: »
    Neither Frtoaster or I have been able to figure out the horizontal line going across most interiors of buildings, caves, etc. when using Lighting 1.0....that disappears when using Lighting 2.0. And why we are seeing it after ViL patch.

    The horizontal line appears on the bridges and the four gray pillars at Starfleet Academy.

    where2r1 wrote: »
    He thinks it has something to do with how buildings are oriented on a map. They use those lines to make sure the "asset" (or several assets) is oriented to each other and the "ground", properly. I do not notice that horizon line in outdoor scenes in the game. I am sure it is there, somewhere. But why we can see it now....beats me.

    I thought the line showed where the height was zero on the map. But after looking at where the line appears on the buildings on Risa, I no longer think that's the case.

    where2r1 wrote: »
    Try DS9 with Bloom Quality ON (under Postprocessing)...with Bloom Intensity set to 0% in the Advanced Tab. That is how I have it set on mine. And I can see in DS9 without a problem.

    That's exactly what I did, though for this to work, "Postprocessing" has to be turned on too.

    iamynaught wrote: »
    One other thing I am noticing though is that for at least the last 2 months every time I start up the game, I need to readjust my Brightness settings in the game. It's far too dark initially so I go in and adjust it one notch in either direction and then set it back to where I normally have it and it'll stay that way until I close the game and restart. Saving the setting does nothing so I need to do this every time.

    Also, DS9 is very dark and none of the workarounds I've found actually work for me, aside from turning on Lighting 2.0. But Lighting 2.0 is such a drag on my system in some maps I just stick with L1.0 instead of having to go in and change it all the time.
    iamynaught wrote: »
    I don't run bloom, have hated it since I first saw it in a game years ago and have disabled it in every game since.

    You should try turning "Bloom quality" on and setting "Bloom intensity" to 0%, as where2r1 suggested. (For this to work, "Postprocessing" also has to be on.) I know it doesn't make much sense. It is my belief that "Bloom quality" is misnamed. It appears to affect more than just bloom. Many maps look too dark if "Bloom quality" is off, but I don't think the cause is a lack of bloom. I think it's because something else gets turned off when "Bloom quality" is off.

    where2r1 wrote: »
    BTW....they make tweaks to the graphics and animation in this game quite often.....and never gets in the patch notes.

    Yes, and it annoys me to no end.
    Waiting for a programmer ...

    qVpg1km.png
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 5,924 Arc User
    Hmmmm..... ORBS! That means there are ghosts around, you know. They are green because they are alien ghosts. It's all that killing your Captain has been doing...they are attached to your character, now. J/K

    Did you try toggling "Monitor Vertical Sync"?
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

    “Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,266 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    where2r1 wrote: »
    Did you try toggling "Monitor Vertical Sync"?

    I still see blue-green flashes when "Monitor vertical sync" is on. In fact, "Monitor vertical sync" makes the problem significantly worse when both Lighting 2.0 is on and "Limit Frame Rate" is set to 60. The only thing that gets rid of the blue-green flashes for me is setting "Limit Frame Rate" to 30. But limiting the frame rate doesn't get rid of the light green flashes, at least not for me; the only thing that helps with that is turning on shadows.
    Post edited by frtoaster on
    Waiting for a programmer ...

    qVpg1km.png
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 5,924 Arc User
    Well...on my settings in ADVANCED tab.... I have both "Framerate Stabilizer" and "Auto-Stabilize Framerate" ON. ???

    Not sure what those do exactly, or if they both need to be on at all.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

    “Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,131 Arc User
    Okay, I turned Bloom on and left the intensity set to 0% and DS9 now has light! Thank you!

    The reason I have Max physics debris objects set so low is partially because of party poppers (I dislike them) but also because it just creates too much screen clutter for me. I will however turn it up the next time I play, instead of just map hopping, to see if it affects me as much as I remember. I've never had trouble seeing explosions but who knows, maybe I'm just going senile in my old age. :)

    While I'm not on a laptop, I set my Limit framerate at 30 because I really don't see any difference in framerate above 30, so I figured why not save some system resources. I have a friend who says he sees the difference but I really don't, or if I do it's not that big a difference for me to get more. But, if this setting works better set higher, or at least at the monitor refresh rate, it won't hurt to try. I've never seemed to have a problem before though.

    World texture detail and Character texture detail are at 200% because while it says that "Values above 100% are generally not useful", I can see a difference there at times. I haven't noticed any issues with texture loading, aside from the grass on New Romulus.

    Also, while trying out my new settings, I noticed those pillars at Starfleet Academy and yes, that stupid line is still there but only on two sides of the pillars, the South and East sides. I'd seen the line on them before but I just never noticed it only appears on 2 sides. That seems strange to me.

    Thanks for the tips.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

    Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 5,924 Arc User
    Glad the lights are back on for you at DS9. Did that fix the grass on New Romulus for you? Or is that still wonked out?

    Eh, my "old" computer.....I had to run STO at "Half Resolution".
    I actually turned down "Resolution Scale" a bit on my new computer because I didn't like the sharpness. I was so used to seeing it look more "cartoon-y" and indistinct...it didn't look right to me when crisp. LOL! I only recently adjusted it back to 1....and I am still not sure I like it that way.

    I am trying to remember what I had the "Debris" option set to on my old computer...because I liked the party poppers and wanted to see them, but the computer couldn't do the max. I want to say it was set for 100??? If I set it below that I could not see the party poppers. I don't think you have to go as low as 5.

    That is one thing that I do not see...I used to see "dandelion seeds" (my description of it) I think it is supposed to be pollen from tropical plants floating around the air on Risa. I don't remember seeing that the other night I was over there.

    And when you say "I set it at 200%" ....what are you seeing a difference with? Frame rate? Picture quality??
    I wonder if THAT would help Frtoaster with those ghostly orbs. Are you seeing Orbs when floating around Risa????

    Framerate seems variable in this game....I have read in the forums before some people see a drop just opening up a UI window.

    iamynaught wrote: »
    Okay, I turned Bloom on and left the intensity set to 0% and DS9 now has light! Thank you!

    The reason I have Max physics debris objects set so low is partially because of party poppers (I dislike them) but also because it just creates too much screen clutter for me. I will however turn it up the next time I play, instead of just map hopping, to see if it affects me as much as I remember. I've never had trouble seeing explosions but who knows, maybe I'm just going senile in my old age. :)

    While I'm not on a laptop, I set my Limit framerate at 30 because I really don't see any difference in framerate above 30, so I figured why not save some system resources. I have a friend who says he sees the difference but I really don't, or if I do it's not that big a difference for me to get more. But, if this setting works better set higher, or at least at the monitor refresh rate, it won't hurt to try. I've never seemed to have a problem before though.

    World texture detail and Character texture detail are at 200% because while it says that "Values above 100% are generally not useful", I can see a difference there at times. I haven't noticed any issues with texture loading, aside from the grass on New Romulus.

    Also, while trying out my new settings, I noticed those pillars at Starfleet Academy and yes, that stupid line is still there but only on two sides of the pillars, the South and East sides. I'd seen the line on them before but I just never noticed it only appears on 2 sides. That seems strange to me.

    Thanks for the tips.

    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

    “Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,131 Arc User
    It's just picture quality with the texture details set to 200%, I don't notice any difference with my framerate having it maxed out or at 100% so I just go with what looks better.

    As for the debris, even with it as low as 5 I still see the Party Popper stuff, especially the balloons. As I said, too much screen clutter for my taste, but I did turn it up for a quick Swarm queue run and I saw no major difference performance wise or in the detail of explosions.

    Framerates do take a hit when opening up some UI windows for me but that's pretty common with STO so I don't open windows in the middle of a fight and I'm good. :)

    I haven't had a chance to head back to New Romulus yet to see if the grass is still acting up, but I will make it a point go go and look later.

    As for the "dandelion seeds" on Risa, I remember those. When using a floater it was almost like being at warp and having the stars streak by. I'll have to head there too and see for myself if they did remove that effect.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

    Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,131 Arc User
    Finally got time to visit New Romulus and the changes I made to my graphics didn't solve the flashing grass issue. Pity.

    I'm now on Risa and I'm not seeing the grass flashing like on New Romulus. So I suppose that's a plus, but it does make one wonder why it isn't doing this on both maps.

    Also, the dandelion seeds are still there on Risa, for me at least.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

    Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,409 Arc User
    Drats, I missed the "gr" in the thread title and came in here to learn how to duplicate the bug on my female Orion...sigh
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,266 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »
    And when you say "I set it at 200%" ....what are you seeing a difference with? Frame rate? Picture quality??
    I wonder if THAT would help Frtoaster with those ghostly orbs. Are you seeing Orbs when floating around Risa????

    I still see flashing grass with all texture and LOD (level-of-detail) settings maxed.

    World detail distance: Max
    Terrain detail distance: Max
    Character detail distance: Max
    World texture detail: 200%
    Character texture detail: 200%

    Those were some of the first settings that I tried. Maybe, the blue-green flashes appear slightly less often with those settings, but I'm not entirely sure about that. And the light-green flashes don't seem to be affected at all by texture and LOD settings; only turning on shadows helps with that.

    where2r1 wrote: »
    Well...on my settings in ADVANCED tab.... I have both "Framerate Stabilizer" and "Auto-Stabilize Framerate" ON. ???

    OK, I tried turning on both of those settings, but that doesn't seem to help either.

    iamynaught wrote: »
    While I'm not on a laptop, I set my Limit framerate at 30 because I really don't see any difference in framerate above 30, so I figured why not save some system resources. I have a friend who says he sees the difference but I really don't, or if I do it's not that big a difference for me to get more. But, if this setting works better set higher, or at least at the monitor refresh rate, it won't hurt to try. I've never seemed to have a problem before though.

    I'm not sure it makes sense to say that a game runs "better" at 60 fps than 30 fps on a 60 Hz monitor, if by "better" you mean "fewer bugs" rather than "smoother". It's true that many people prefer higher frame rates, but if you can't see the difference, then you can't see the difference. It's also possible that you're not getting a full 60 frames per second. The option "Limit Frame Rate" only caps your frame rate. Your actual frame rate may be lower. To see your frame rate in-game, type the following commands in the chat window:

    /hidedevui 0
    /showfps 1
    Waiting for a programmer ...

    qVpg1km.png
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,131 Arc User
    Okay, I'm leveling a new character, a Fed Cardassian, and I'm running the Researcher Rescue mission and I'm at the part where you beam down to the planet and fight the Gorn boss. The grass is doing the same thing here that it's doing on New Romulus. Such a strange bug and difficult to pin down.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

    Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • autobotgoldbugautobotgoldbug Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    I've had this on New Romulus for a while. Turning on Lighting 2.0 seems to fix it. It is as if they are trying to force players to use that crappy lighting system.
    Oh and whenever I change something on graphics settings Lighting 2.0 mysteriously turns itself on.
Sign In or Register to comment.