test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Traits that Roms may never see?

Traits such as "Highly Specialized" that are practically given away to KDF and Fed characters are almost impossible to acquire by Romulans.

Why is this?

Comments

• postinggumpostinggum Member Posts: 1,117 Arc User
    Every faction has nice stuff on their faction specific high premium ships that are cheap to the other groups, Feds have difficulty getting the Atlas console, and klingons probably have something fancier than the leech.

The Vonph trait is very good for cooldowns, 9 months ago they were going for 80m on the exhange, price went up and should creep down some with the infinity box.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Seriously?

Rom just got access to all the Allied ships (which means all the consoles and traits that comes with them). Complaints about traits on a ship that your faction have to buy for themselves gonna fall on deaf ears.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    "Round eared"

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    cmcat wrote: »
    Traits such as "Highly Specialized" that are practically given away to KDF and Fed characters are almost impossible to acquire by Romulans.

Why is this?

...because it comes on a Romulan lock box ship.
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Kelvin_Timeline_T'laru_Intel_Carrier_Warbird

Other factions have easier access to faction-specific lock box ship traits than those who own the ship in question (because the cross-faction trait packs have better odds to compensate for the fact that they are just the trait.) This applies to all examples.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • cmcatcmcat Member Posts: 7 Arc User

Why is this?

...because it comes on a Romulan lock box ship.
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Kelvin_Timeline_T'laru_Intel_Carrier_Warbird

Other factions have easier access to faction-specific lock box ship traits than those who own the ship in question (because the cross-faction trait packs have better odds to compensate for the fact that they are just the trait.) This applies to all examples.

The lockbox ship you indicate here basically dosent exist on the exchange, and if it did, it would be selling for billions.

Now, how much do Feds and KDF have to spend? The traits come in a box that sells for 750K to 2 mil, at any given time.

This isnt just some slight variant in price and a minor increase for Roms, it means they dont have access to the trait unless you are lucky enough to find one. And the cost of that would run in the hundreds of millions to billions as well.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Romulans get things like the Dynamic Power Redistribution Console and other really nice items dirt cheap compared to Feds.

It all works out in the end, if you want that trait you're going to have to pay through the nose. As Napalm said though, it's really not worth it. The T'Laru is a cool ship if you can get one.. but not because of the trait. It's awesome because it can hold 2 hangers of Elite Romulan Drones. That's pretty sweet.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • cmcatcmcat Member Posts: 7 Arc User

The Tlaru, like all other lockbox ships, never costs billions, no ship in STO cracks 2 billion, not even the T6TOS Connie, which is a promo ship not lockbox. The T'laru might have a higher price right now/low supply, but thats mostly due to the infinity box ending again, next time it comes around that will change again. I manage to make hundreds of millions of EC and buy any ship I want and I do it all without spending any real money.

Right now the ONLY one in the exchange is 750mil. Regardless of what may happen in the future with infinity boxes, presently everyone in the game thats not rom can buy this trait for a givaway price compared to 750 million, and its the only T'laru up there.

Amazing how people try to justify this by calling the trait worthless anyway. To you maybe, but thats not the point. The point is, its TRIBBLE to have the majority of the population able to buy a trait for practically nothing, while just being a Rom you are in effect, completely cut off from it. There is no justification for this, its just stupidity. Period.

I dont want the T'laru, just the trait, and an easy fix for this would be to just let the Roms access the same box that the Feds and the KDF have access to. If people want the T'laru, then pay the 750 mil or whatever it happens to be selling for. And thats even IF its up for sale.

To offset an item, ANY item by offering it to a percentage of the population so cheap that it almost has no value, and at the same time, limiting access to the same item to the rest of the players as to it being close to non existent, you dont justify that by bringing up 20 other acts of stupidity by the development team and say "well they do it with this and this and this... so obviously it makes sense." No.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    Us Roms got everything, LOL. I'm not complaining.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Us Roms got everything, LOL. I'm not complaining.

You don't have the "Vent Metreon Laced Plasma" starship mastery trait, despite what the wiki claims.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,715 Community Moderator
    Highly Specialized is a nice trait sure, but by far is not required to succeed in game. The precedent when dealing with ships like the T'laru has been that Romulans must get the T'laru if they want the trait from the ship. The same thing is true with the feds wanting the Atlas console, or the KDF players wanting the Honored Dead Trait. Take the T'laru as per your example, since it is Romulan exclusive, this would have meant there would be no way for the other factions to access the trait. To make it fair to the other factions a pack was introduced to allow the other factions access to the trait since they couldn't access the ship. The same thing goes with the Atlas trait and console for the other factions. I honestly don't see what's unreasonable about expecting someone to get their faction's ship if they want to use the trait and/or console from said ship, vs buying a cross faction pack.

As for the T'laru itself, the reason you're not finding any of them is because you're not searching for the right thing on the exchange. They're not nearly as rare as you're being led to believe. It used to be that whenever you opened the Kelvin Timeline boxes that it would award you a faction appropriate ship for whatever toon you were on. Meaning if you wanted the Romulan T'laru, you had to open the lockbox itself on a Romulan. However that was changed quite a bit ago now. The T'laru, D4X, and Kelvin Constitution were all combined into a single choice box labeled as Kelvin Timeline Starship on the exchange. Now when you open infinity boxes Kelvin Timeline Starship is one of your choices. From there what toon you open the Kelvin Timeline Starship box on will determine what ship it gives you. If you want the T'laru then open on a Romulan. Last I looked they were about 300m ec, which is about average for a lockbox ship.

As to the T'laru specific box you saw, that's a relic from the time before that change was made. Point being you can get the T'laru for alot cheaper than the 750m you were seeing. If all you want is the trait or console it sucks that you have to buy the full on ship, but I honestly don't see it as that big of a deal.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,302 Community Moderator
    In my opinion, the Starship Trait boxes were a bad idea. The disparity in cost and availability (Starship vs Trait Box) on the Exchange makes it much harder for the intended Faction to obtain them. Other Factions shouldn't have access to the Trait at all, if they don't have access to the ship.

OR, once the Trait is unlocked on a character make it available to the Account through the Dilithium Store for purchase, not just claim, but actual Dilithium purchase. But that option should only be available for Starship Traits that are only available on ships that cannot be claimed by other Factions, or Traits that cannot be earned any other way, so Cross Faction Lock Box/Promo ships would be excluded.

So, if you can claim the ship, fly the ship, then you should have to earn the Trait. But if you cannot claim the ship, because of Faction exclusivity, then you could purchase the Trait with Dilithium after it's been unlocked on a relevant Faction character on the account.*

*Other characters on an account of the same Faction as the exclusive ship would still have to obtain their own copy of the ship and earn the Trait as well.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    In my opinion, the Starship Trait boxes were a bad idea. The disparity in cost and availability (Starship vs Trait Box) on the Exchange makes it much harder for the intended Faction to obtain them. Other Factions shouldn't have access to the Trait at all, if they don't have access to the ship.

OR, once the Trait is unlocked on a character make it available to the Account through the Dilithium Store for purchase, not just claim, but actual Dilithium purchase. But that option should only be available for Starship Traits that are only available on ships that cannot be claimed by other Factions, or Traits that cannot be earned any other way, so Cross Faction Lock Box/Promo ships would be excluded.

So, if you can claim the ship, fly the ship, then you should have to earn the Trait. But if you cannot claim the ship, because of Faction exclusivity, then you could purchase the Trait with Dilithium after it's been unlocked on a relevant Faction character on the account.*

*Other characters on an account of the same Faction as the exclusive ship would still have to obtain their own copy of the ship and earn the Trait as well.

They would have to be reasonably priced as well
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius

Well, one man's reasonable is another man's unreasonable. But I'd think a fair price would be to determine the average time it takes to unlock a Trait, compare that to how much Dilithium can be earned on average in the same time frame, then factor in the odds of being able to obtain the ship in the first place as maybe a multiplier. I'm not saying it should be easy, just possible.
      GrWzQke.png

Well, one man's reasonable is another man's unreasonable. But I'd think a fair price would be to determine the average time it takes to unlock a Trait, compare that to how much Dilithium can be earned on average in the same time frame, then factor in the odds of being able to obtain the ship in the first place as maybe a multiplier. I'm not saying it should be easy, just possible.

Things should take time and effort, it's more worth it that way
      NMXb2ph.png
        "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
        Things should take time and effort, it's more worth it that way

The key is finding the balance between needed time and effort and so on. It shouldn't be as simple as an I win button, but on the flip side it shouldn't need take until the 31st century to obtain the trait either. Far as effort goes, you don't want it to be strictly an I win button either. On the flip side you don't want it to take dilithium cap on all of your current toons, the sacrifice of a goat, the blood of a virgin, and a 50 year long change to Q either.
        "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Given that three elite runs in Argala is often enough to master a ship, that may have to be taken account of
        NMXb2ph.png
          In that instance, keep the xp to get the trait the same. To determine cost, look at comparable unlocks such as the Spiral Wave Disruptors, and trait slot unlocks. Factor in a cost from there. I would say cap it at about 50k diltihium. just me throwing out a number for the sake of throwing out a number, but actual cost could be debated.

Well, I did say average. What's the average time for all players, across all content, across all T6 ships to unlock a Trait. Surely there's data on that to make that determination. It wouldn't be fair to only use data for the highest DPSers running back-to-back queues, who unlock a T6 in an afternoon. Nor would it be ok to only use data for a barely geared casual who logs in for a few minutes a day/week/month.

Anyway, it's just an idea. But that's not what we have.
          GrWzQke.png
        • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
          I have a T'Laru, love it.. the trait?, not so much, it's cost? 230 mil, a year ago i think, totally worth it… 4 romulan drones are awesome, but the elite Kelvin Scorpion fighters are great too, one of the best small craft pets i ever tried!
          The forces of darkness are upon us!
        • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
          postinggum wrote: »
          Every faction has nice stuff on their faction specific high premium ships that are cheap to the other groups, Feds have difficulty getting the Atlas console, and klingons probably have something fancier than the leech.

The Vonph trait is very good for cooldowns, 9 months ago they were going for 80m on the exhange, price went up and should creep down some with the infinity box.

Not really?

Feds are really the only ones who have unique stuff these days...except for the singularity core mechanics.
        • jrdobbsjr#3264 jrdobbsjr Member Posts: 431 Arc User
          Romulans get things like the Dynamic Power Redistribution Console and other really nice items dirt cheap compared to Feds.

It all works out in the end, if you want that trait you're going to have to pay through the nose. As Napalm said though, it's really not worth it. The T'Laru is a cool ship if you can get one.. but not because of the trait. It's awesome because it can hold 2 hangers of Elite Romulan Drones. That's pretty sweet.

She also has what has to be the coolest bridge in the game.
        • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User

The Tlaru, like all other lockbox ships, never costs billions, no ship in STO cracks 2 billion, not even the T6TOS Connie, which is a promo ship not lockbox. The T'laru might have a higher price right now/low supply, but thats mostly due to the infinity box ending again, next time it comes around that will change again. I manage to make hundreds of millions of EC and buy any ship I want and I do it all without spending any real money.

Right now the ONLY one in the exchange is 750mil. Regardless of what may happen in the future with infinity boxes, presently everyone in the game thats not rom can buy this trait for a givaway price compared to 750 million, and its the only T'laru up there.
          The faction-specific ship boxes are deprecated and no longer drop from anywhere. The T'laru is now acquired in the [Special Requisition Pack - Kelvin Timeline Starship [T6]] (when opened by a romulan), which is widely available and in the same price range as all other T6 infinity box ships.