test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[PC] Join the Gamma Recruits!

Comments

• Options
    yakodymyakodym Member Posts: 362 Arc User
    A question here - What about dominion toons and the Delta/Temporal recruit rewards? Normally those are locked behind level 20, but since Dominion toons will start all leveled up, will they be able to access those rewards immediately? Or is there some spec-point related gate instead? Or what?
  • Options
    lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    I see in tomorrow's Patch Notes that the Gamma Recruitment event lasts until July 18.
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10918643-pc-patch-notes-for-6/5/18
    yakodym wrote: »
    A question here - What about dominion toons and the Delta/Temporal recruit rewards? Normally those are locked behind level 20, but since Dominion toons will start all leveled up, will they be able to access those rewards immediately? Or is there some spec-point related gate instead? Or what?

According to a what a Reddit poster saw on Tribble, Jem'Hadar characters require L65 and 20hrs of play before they can access previously unlocked D/T Recruitment rewards.

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • Options
    locutusofcactuslocutusofcactus Member Posts: 651 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    "As with previous recruitment events, the Gamma Recruitment Event represents an unprecedented opportunity for getting a leg-up on progression."

LOL. Nice oxymoron. I'm totally using that irl this week.
  • Options
    Actually it is. Oxymoron's don't have to be consectuitve words.
  • Options
    And that's why I highlighted the antonyms.

ca1ef4505da192bc894625b746bacb63.gif

• Options
    phoenix841phoenix841 Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    But they are required to be antonyms, which that example isn't.

Actually they kind of are. If something is unprecedented, then it hasn't happened previously.
    Since we've had previous rewards to get a leg-up, this isn't unprecedented. The Delta Recruit is a precedent.
    LTS Since Beta (Jan 2010).
  • Options
    alchevsk1992alchevsk1992 Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    watch, the moment this huge update launches it will be sooooooooo buggy.
    tumblr_no772wVUH31u41vjso1_r1_1280.png

"Our history, our past, our present and our future is now forever changed. All we can do is preserve what is left and continue onwards. This is not a surrender nor defeat, we will continue the fight. This is our last hope, our last chance... for victory."

Vlasek D. Lasor - 4.19.3580

Star Trek Online: Foundry Storyline Series
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    Everyone remember to lease as little exp on your spec point bars as possible.
    lordbeefy7 wrote: »
    lordbeefy7 wrote: »
    so is a jem hadar character a gamme recruit...im not sure from the wording on the article?

*gamma
    Stop that. You can edit your posts instead of spam.
  • Options
    sinn74sinn74 Member Posts: 1,149 Arc User
    There’s far too many bonuses and rewards available to list them all here, so get ready to make your Gamma Recruit (all accounts are getting one extra free character slot), and keep watching between now and the launch on June 5th for additional information on the exciting content waiting to be discovered in Star Trek Online with the release of “Victory is Life.”

Huh?

• Options
    sinn74 wrote: »
    There’s far too many bonuses and rewards available to list them all here, so get ready to make your Gamma Recruit (all accounts are getting one extra free character slot), and keep watching between now and the launch on June 5th for additional information on the exciting content waiting to be discovered in Star Trek Online with the release of “Victory is Life.”

Huh?

Reminds me of this old Dilbert comic. If they don't tell us, we can't complain. I bet they are working very hard to meet the deadline and were planning on posing another post but were just too busy.

dt940517dhc0-720x218.gif

• Options
    ffttfftt Member Posts: 715 Arc User
    tigeraries wrote: »
    Eng / Tac / Esp / Med

Those I find are easiest to level up.

If you have the right doffs... can do the Dev one that gives over 1k every 3 days.

Colony, Maruder, Recruitment, Science & Exploration are harder. Good thing they raise the bonus commendation boosts now huh!

For bonus mark events I strip Eng, Sci, Tac, Esp, and Med to 100k cxp for mark conversion at the starbase and it usually takes me two weeks to get them back up to 150k. So maybe a month to go from zero to 100k. As a new recruit it'll be a mite longer since they won't have the variety of DOffs established characters have but if this event is like previous ones there will also be a week of bonus commendation points to help.
  • Options
    erroredsys#6401 erroredsys Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    So, after the event ends, will we still be able to use our characters?
  • Options
    lordkaballordkabal Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    dray#8798 wrote: »
    What I'd like to know is when the heck you guys are gonna offer the lifetime subscription sale again. I finally managed to save up enough cash in my Steam wallet to buy it at the sale price, and have been waiting for what feels like FOREVER for it to happen again.

You're out of luck dude. First, the lifetime sub was never for sale on steam, the only thing they had there was the steam pack, with the steamrunner starship. Lifetime sub, like the packs, was only available on the website, and second, lifetime subscriptions are no longer available. Like, at all. Sorry.

You'd be wrong though... Here's the Lifetime Page It's the monthly subscription you cannot get if you never had one before (you can renew your monthly sub still by clicking the manage subscription button at the bottom of this page)
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,504 Arc User
    phoenix841 wrote: »
    iamynaught wrote: »
    It clearly says in the post we are getting a Free slot. Can't say if it will increase MAX slots however.

That free slot and the salvage bonus for the other characters is the only reason I might make a gamma recruit since I have exactly zero interest in playing a Jem'Hadar. All the nice toys in the world do not make up for a totally uninteresting two-dimensional character in actual play and I doubt if I will play the thing any longer than it takes to unlock the salvage bonus for the other characters. Playing a Jem'Hadar sounds as odious as playing a Magog from Andromeda would be if that were a game.

I wonder if the free slot is usable by other, more interesting characters after the event is over or whether the slot deletes if you delete the Jem'Hadar that originally occupied it? Really, with all the gamma quadrant races in DS9 would it have killed the devs to include an "alien" option for the Dominion faction like they do for every other one?

Or better yet, alien and a few canon races like Vorta, Hunters, Dosi, and Kremma? Hunters especially would make great zen store packages with their neat gear and could be an alternate to the Jem'Hadar non-leveling thing. Dosi and Kremma could explore the logistics side of the war with armed freighters and something like the WWII Q-ships for a regular leveling part of the faction for instance, and Vorta would fit right in with that too. It would make for a good change of pace and provide a different experience for the faction, something STO has been loosing with the shift toward non-faction content lately.

It is not inconceivable that some other Dominion races could end up in the military, especially the Hunters. I could really get into a "defective" Vorta with warlike tendencies who is thrown in with the cannon fodder to get rid of it efficiently but survives and advances instead for example. The Jem'Hadar are about as meh as a wet dishrag at best.

I doubt that slot would disappear if you deleted that character.
    Also, that salvage mechanic is only for that recruit I believe. The same way the extra dilithium was only for delta recruits themselves. My only complaint for that is I wish the salvage was trade-able between characters.

As for extra dominion species, I would love to play as others. However as for the storyline, only Jem'Hadar make sense (and possibly Vorta, if they rework it). Also, the Founders would never trust anyone else as the warriors of the Dominion, especially given how it worked out for them with the Cardassians during the Dominion War.

I think you are right, I saw the line " All Gamma Recruits will have an inherent bonus trait during the Gamma Recruit Event of generating Salvage upon defeating enemies, a bonus which extends to your entire group." and somehow read the "entire group" part as meaning all the characters on the account instead of a group. Oh, well, I guess that means there is no reason at all for me to make a gamma recruit.
  • Options
    nebfabnebfab Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    sinn74 wrote: »

Huh?

Reminds me of this old Dilbert comic. If they don't tell us, we can't complain. I bet they are working very hard to meet the deadline and were planning on posing another post but were just too busy.

dt940517dhc0-720x218.gif
    Well, technically patch notes are a blog post, and there is more about gamma recruitment in there (though not much more.)

But anyway, I'd prefer game actually working (or working as well as it usually does after a major update) to neat blog posts. Might be a difficult choice, mind you...
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Those new Characters do not disappear after the Event ends. You must create a Jem'Hadar Vanguard Recruit Character during the Event and complete the Intro Mission. After that you get the Device which gives that Character access to special Tasks.

Once you get that Device you have until the end of time to complete those Tasks, for personal as well as Account Rewards.

The Event itself provides the time to create a Recruit JHV Character. It also has weekly tasks for the Recruits which then, based upon how well ALL JHV Recruits have done that Weekly task, bonuses for ALL Characters for the next week (bonus XP, etc.). Also during the Event the JHV Recruit gains extra Salvage from combat.

Once the Event ends no bonus Salvage, no more Weekly Events. Also after the Event ends any JHV Character that you create will not get that special Device.

If you are going to Create a JHV Character it is IMPORTANT to create it during the Event and complete that first Mission. That is the only way you will be able to get that Device and be able to complete special Tasks for Character and Account unlocks.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    thearkadythearkady Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    "We can't be arsed to properly tell you what Gamma Recruitment does" is pretty lame even by Cryptic standards.
  • Options
    qqqqiiqqqqii Member Posts: 473 Arc User
    Can someone spell out the differences between standard and Vanguard Jem'Hadar? I haven't managed to find this anywhere, yet.
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    qqqqii wrote: »
    Can someone spell out the differences between standard and Vanguard Jem'Hadar? I haven't managed to find this anywhere, yet.

vanguard has space trait & improved ground trait... regular do not have space traits and vanilla ground trait.
  • Options
    phoenix841phoenix841 Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    qqqqii wrote: »

Listed here: https://sto.gamepedia.com/Jem'Hadar_Vanguard
    LTS Since Beta (Jan 2010).
  • Options
    amayakitsuneamayakitsune Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    So what are the account unlocks gotten from finishing Gamma Recruit stuff?
    7NGGeUP.png

• Options
    ffttfftt Member Posts: 715 Arc User
    I'm left wondering why the server wide objectives from the previous first run recruitment events were not used this time around. Not that I'm going to miss them much and I'm glad not to have my mission tracker cluttered with both the endeavor and a server progress bar (what would *that* look like?), but they were interesting twists for new recruits.
    So what are the account unlocks gotten from finishing Gamma Recruit stuff?
    I've only gotten three account unlocks so far for joining a fleet and then earning 100k and 500k FCs. Account wide the big things for me there were the modest fleet dilithium vouchers (always useful in small fleets) but there were some marks rewarded too. The other unlocks will take me some more time to achieve.
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    Is there anything good though? For reference, the stuff they listed in the blog is not good enough for me :wink:
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    ash352ash352 Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    Is there anything good though? For reference, the stuff they listed in the blog is not good enough for me :wink:

Other than what's in the blog? Marks and Dil, more Marks and Dil, did I mention Marks and Dil because there's more Marks and Dil. If you don't like those there's Marks and Dil.

Really disappointed with this "event". It seems like this was a last minute "oh we forgot the make rewards for the recruit event" type of scenario. Nothing unique, nothing special, nothing "wow" worthy. Not asking for OP stuff, just stuff that would make it appear as though some thought was put into this. I'll list a few examples of account wide rewards that would have been better than just more Marks and Dil.

A Jem'Hadar Warp and Singularity core, to make a complete set. Using the Deuterium-Stabilized Warp Core and Thoron-Infused Singularity core stat distribution as a base for the combat focused nature of the Jem'Hadar. 4pc bonus could have been a set duration summon of two Vanguard Wingmen. Same as the other "click and summon things", no control like the Vanguard mechanic.

A Vanguard Vanity ship shield.

A Kar'takin. Unique, Epic quality, damage scales with player level like the Shard Sword of Kahless mission reward.

A Vorta Boff.

A Vanguard outfit. A unique tailor unlock that is different from the Tactical and basic Jem'Hadar uniform as well as the "faction specific" one. We're in Odo's Vanguard, give us something special to look the part.

Make all but the outfit reclaimable, because you only need to unlock those once on a character, like the Bajoran Warp/Sing Cores so people can pick up another if they get rid of one for whatever reason, and you're done. None of those would be OP gamebreaking items or items that people couldn't play the game without until the next time the event was run. All of those are unique rewards that fit the theme of the event and would have shown that you put thought into trying to make this event rewarding but different from the previous two recruit event rewards.