test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

no explanation for downtime no patch notes 6-1-18

no explanation for downtime no patch notes 6-1-18 does anyone have any ideas

Comments

• tasshenatasshena Member Posts: 529 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    Was kinda wondering about that myself, they usually have patch notes for that.

Maybe they have to restart it once a week to stop severe performance degradation beyond normal?
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    tasshena wrote: »
    Maybe they have to restart it once a week to stop severe performance degradation beyond normal?

This is actually an accurate assessment; a year or two ago they experimented with letting the system run until an update was needed, and random glitches started popping up. On the other hand, there's usually at least a note saying that they're just doing a system reboot, so who knows what's happening?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • r0m#7631 r0m Member Posts: 134 Arc User
    I might be wrong, but I believe that I only get the patch notes after the actual maintenance.
  • jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    Obviously there is a conspiracy afoot no one in charge can tell you there is not because they are apart of it.
    Most likely the Kazon are involved somehow...
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    jade1280 wrote: »
    Obviously there is a conspiracy afoot no one in charge can tell you there is not because they are apart of it.
    Most likely the Kazon are involved somehow...
    It's the "Deep State" within the Federation Council and it's bureaucracy. I know because I heard it from a guy who heard it on a subspace channel somewhere.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 903 Arc User
    Apparently all Cryptic/PWE games have their weekly downtime/maintenance today, for Neverwinter and STO it's just a server reset though. And yes, they need to do a reset/restart each week or things get wonkier than usual.
    Think of it this way. If you don't shut off and let your PC rest now and again you wear out your system much more quickly than otherwise. Cryptic servers are no different. Once a week is probably a compromise between what would be ideal and not annoying the player too much/interrupting gameplay too often.

Anyway. The fact that it is moved to Friday goes far beyond just STO. Doesn't seem to be an ARC thing though, so not sure what's going on. And since it is just a reset there's no notes, they're probably saving what fixes they have for Tuesday along with the expansion.

Would have been nice to be told. Over in Neverwinter we were told days ago that all platforms' maintenance was moved to Friday and that it was just a reset.
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,303 Community Moderator
    PWE was out all day Thursday, that's why maintenance was moved to Friday. Sorry that nothing was posted on the official site/forum, but it's just routine maintenance, so no patch notes.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10155595156093603&id=6318938602

Check out @trekonlinegame’s Tweet:
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    Thanks for clarification
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
      edited June 2018
      Gotta check Twitter for this, Facebook for that, Reddit for something else. Cryptic has it's own platform, why don't they USE IT? If I went to work and changed the availability of our activities for our guests and simple posted about it on Facebook instead of making an announcement within the community, I'd be in big trouble, both with guests and my supervisor.

Also, the fancy new Splash Screen? This would be a great place for announcements like Down Times, especially ones outside the usual schedule.
      "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
    • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
      Neverwinter is generally much better for communicating things.

For STO the expected downtimes are thursday unless there's a patch in which case its tuesday and several days after that because of "features" that appear.

Shouldn't be that difficult to have something on the top of the forums to show server status and when the expected downtimes are going to be for that week. It could even be done as the lazy copy paste that crops up quite often in blog posts.
    • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
      Kinda sucks.. cuts into one of the main times I play STO.. but life goes on.

I had assumed that with VIL coming on Tuesday that they would just roll the weekly maintenance into that.. seemed like a pretty good idea to me, but I don't have all the facts.
      Insert witty signature line here.
    • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,303 Community Moderator
      Ok, guys. Let's cut them a break. There's a lot going on right now with the expansion launching next week. It's routine maintenance with no changes, so it's not like the world is ending. That being said, the pertinent information is out and this discussion really isn't really going to be any more productive. /Thread
      GrWzQke.png
      Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
      Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
      Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
      ----> Contact Customer Support <----
      Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
      Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
      Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
      Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    This discussion has been closed.