test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why do we have to have sector space?

sirsitsalotsirsitsalot Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User
First of all, I am by no means calling for the removal of Sector Space. I actually think it is pretty cool as it allows us to see each other's ships while traveling to and from point A to point B...

But with transwarp becoming more and more widespread, especially with the ability to use it to instantly jump to the startpoint of many missions being an actual thing. From my chair, and from a technical standpoint, sector space is not really the big deal it once was. I mean, for those who want to use it, it's fine. But why not also allow players to visit their bridge, talk to their helmsman and plot a course that instantly can take them to where they need to go, wherever that may be?

If there has to be a time sink involved, as if the game isn't already one big time sink. when why not simply allow a distance/time calculation to be applied and have a time based progress bar indicating distance covered? But really, again, with transwarp to mission start locations now a common thing, a time sink to simulate travel time is not needed.

So here's a hypothetical question:

Would you consider it a big deal if there was the option to travel to any point of interest instantly without the need to use sector space?
"There can be no meeting of the minds between two parties
if both parties are not willing to meet in the middle."
-Ambassador Samuel J. Stone

Comments

• where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Because I like DOFFing.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • kidflash112kidflash112 Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    I believe it an immersion thing and since they added more encounters and patrols you can wonder the galaxy and do those instead of sitting in a base or doing story episodes or ques. I like it
    [img][/img]screenshot_2017-03-05-09-33-16_zpsuuddenl4.jpg
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,292 Community Moderator
    Your very question is quite literally answered in the FCT as to why that can't/won't be done.

Q8HtGF6.png
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.