test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

C-Store, how many points can be purchased, is there a cut-off limit?

tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
The statement was made that Cryptic has an autolimiting feature when it comes to purchasing C-Points, to prevent too many being purchased within a short amount of time.

Since I will be required to purchase 15000 C-Points for the purposes of buying the Gamma Vanguard bundle ingame on July 5th, I thought I should verify this statement as truthful in case the autolimiting program will block my attempt to purchase so many points in two transactions.

Does anyone know if there is a limit on how many C-points can be purchased at any one time?
And if there is, would it be better to buy the points in smaller amounts so I have the full amount when the launch happens?

By the way, I don't know much the Gamma Vanguard bundle will cost, I'm just using the Temporal MegaBundle as a benchmark comparison.

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(

Comments

• admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    Dont expect the bundle to be in the cstore on the 5th. Maybe a couple of months after. I will be extremely surprised if it is.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,998 Arc User
    tilarta wrote: »
    The statement was made that Cryptic has an autolimiting feature when it comes to purchasing C-Points, to prevent too many being purchased within a short amount of time.

Since I will be required to purchase 15000 C-Points for the purposes of buying the Gamma Vanguard bundle ingame on July 5th, I thought I should verify this statement as truthful in case the autolimiting program will block my attempt to purchase so many points in two transactions.

Does anyone know if there is a limit on how many C-points can be purchased at any one time?
    And if there is, would it be better to buy the points in smaller amounts so I have the full amount when the launch happens?

By the way, I don't know much the Gamma Vanguard bundle will cost, I'm just using the Temporal MegaBundle as a benchmark comparison.

If you are going to wait till a month after ViL is launched you will have plenty of time to build up enough to purchase the bundle. ViL launches June 5th
  • tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
    I am not intending to wait a month, I will purchase the Gamma Vanguard bundle on the day of release, assuming it is in the C-Store.

But it won't be something I can do instantly, because I have to use Steam to get the C-points required ingame and they have their own cutoff security measures. Basically, if someone purchases large amounts of Steam currency using their credit card in less then an hour, the second transaction is blocked and you have to wait for verification lockout to expire before you can get the second amount.
    So I'll have to go to my local EBGames and get the Steam store cards instead to pay for the C-points I will be using to purchase the bundle.

I find it hard to believe that Cryptic will delay the release of the Gamma Vanguard bundle via the C-store, because it would result in preventing players such as myself from actually playing the expansion when it is released.
    No Bundle=No Jem'Hadar Vanguard=No Captain=not playing!!!!
    I'm not interested in having two Jem'Hadar Captains, so won't be making one with the free option of a regular Jem'Hadar.
    Plus, without the bundle, I won't have the Jem'Hadar Vanguard Dreadnaught to fly around in either.

So you can see why I hope they do indeed release the Gamma Vanguard bundle in the C-Store on the day of launch.
    Does anyone remember a precedent for this kind of release?

Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Dont expect the bundle to be in the cstore on the 5th. Maybe a couple of months after. I will be extremely surprised if it is.

I would be extremely surprised if the bundle wasn't available with the VIL launch. These characters start at high level, they're ready for their ships on day 1, no way Cryptic is going to take that long to release the ships. Not sure why you think it would take that long.

As for buying the Zen on Steam, you have time. If you think you're going to get dinged, just buy the points over the course of the next week. People always say this stuff about Steam, but I have used Steam to make in game purchases for years and never had even the slightest hint of any issue.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,636 Arc User
    If you're paying entirely cash, why not just buy it from Arc's website for it? I could see it if you were doing a partial grind for Zen (I'm doing this personally) or you already have Steam gift cards, but I'm unsure why in your case.
    So you can see why I hope they do indeed release the Gamma Vanguard bundle in the C-Store on the day of launch.
    Does anyone remember a precedent for this kind of release?

The longest delay I've seen is few days after release of an Expansion. I'm trying to recall which one had the delay, though. Most have been day one and at the 'pre-order' price for a good bit of time (around a month). If you're willing to drill through the website, there's a 'Last Chance' blog shortly before it goes to the prices the older ones are now, which should give a decent timescale of when that happens.
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,111 Arc User

Why wouldn't it be - all the others were on or within a few days of the last 3 Expansion launches.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
    edited May 2018
    tom61sto wrote: »
    If you're paying entirely cash, why not just buy it from Arc's website for it? I could see it if you were doing a partial grind for Zen (I'm doing this personally) or you already have Steam gift cards, but I'm unsure why in your case.

The one and only time I tried to purchase a bundle directly from Cryptic's website, the transaction was invalidated because my bank security software classified the transaction as fraudulent and therefore, did not permit Cryptic to complete the money transfer.
    Oddly, this did not happen when I purchased a lifetime subscription for STO, so it must have been something added during the Perfect World acquisition that is blocking the transfer.

• tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,636 Arc User

The one and only time I tried to purchase a bundle directly from Cryptic's website, the transaction was invalidated because my bank security software classified the transaction as fraudulent and therefore, did not permit Cryptic to complete the money transfer.
    Oddly, this did not happen when I purchased a lifetime subscription for STO, so it must have been something added during the Perfect World acquisition that is blocking the transfer.

I would've contacted Cryptic's support or your bank and seen what went wrong. There's so much fraud nowadays that banks are sometimes jumpy with blocking credit card purchases, so it may have been something benign setting off your bank's software.

There's also an option to pay with Pay Pal, which is how I have usually purchased from Arc's site in the past.
  • arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    If you had never used that card to purchase anything through ARC before that, having a large charge (like a bundle) suddenly pop up will trigger most banks anti fraud software. I've never had a problem, but other than my LTS, all my purchases have been in the $10-20 range and I had done a number of those with that card before I ever did the large LTS purchase.
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
    As for buying the Zen on Steam, you have time. If you think you're going to get dinged, just buy the points over the course of the next week. People always say this stuff about Steam, but I have used Steam to make in game purchases for years and never had even the slightest hint of any issue.

I am very sure Steam's lockout protocols exist, because I accidentally triggered them once.
    I don't remember what I was buying, most likely it was a three ship bundle.
    I purchased some of the Steam funds necessary, then tried to purchase the next batch to meet the target value, that's when the lockout activated and I had to wait until it expired to get the second lot.

• dhar#4551 dhar Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    per the website, you're auto-limited to spending $200 in one day (i think but am not certain that this only applies to buying zen, not to buying other things for cash). Easy enough to look it up, I'm just feeling too lazy to right now.
    To restate the point because apparently it wasn't observed:

This is why any information about direct purchasing of the bundles from the arcgames site is irreverent information, since I will not be doing this as a means of acquisition.

• jaegersonjaegerson Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    (flame/troll post removed) - darkbladejk
    Post edited by darkbladejk on
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    (info redacted)

Wow, necro thread and a link to a gold seller...

Someone has a well deserved ban coming their way!

Post edited by darkbladejk on
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,715 Community Moderator
    away ye foul necromancer /closed
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
This discussion has been closed.