test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Next Expansion: Original Movie Era?

The 40th Anniversary of Star Trek: The Motion Picture is coming up in 2019. As most people are aware, there's a relative lack of material in the game from the era of the late 23rd Century where the first six Star Trek films (and a small part of the seventh) take place. A few designs are in the game, yes, but there's so much more there that could be tapped. So much great design work to draw from, and so many cool story opportunities. And to be frank, so much opportunity for Thomas the Cat to work his design magic on TMP style ships for us to buy! I know I for one would buy a pack like the TOS pack we got for Agents of Yesterday. I'd also love seeing the wizardry Tacofangs and his crew could do on the stunning Starfleet Headquarters set from TMP.

I know I can't be the only one out there that loves that era of Trek, hell the best Star Trek film of all time by virtually any measure is The Wrath of Khan. Please, Cryptic, give us more from that amazing and underappreciated era of Trek!

Just look at this stunning beauty we could have in game...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af7r1Ltp11I
star_trek_idic_facebook_cover_by_athdaraseleya-d6hri4e.jpg

The D in IDIC doesn't stand for discrimination, and neither does this poster.

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    I have no doubt they'll do something for the anniversary. They've done things for TOS, TNG, and DS9 so far.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    No. TOS already had its expansion and it was bad enough

It wouldn't be a full on expansion like ViL. BUT... I do see them doing SOMETHING.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

It wouldn't be a full on expansion like ViL. BUT... I do see them doing SOMETHING.

Maybe a new mission that finally adds the TMP era interior so many players want? Kinda like the missions that enabled them to build the Intrepid and Galaxy interiors?
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • bossheisenbergbossheisenberg Member Posts: 603 Arc User
    I'm holding out for a playable V'ger cloud....
    Maybe a new mission that finally adds the TMP era interior so many players want? Kinda like the missions that enabled them to build the Intrepid and Galaxy interiors?

Exactly. But hopefully it would be involving the WoK uniforms rather than the TMP ones.
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    Looking forward to the new lock box movie series ship.

Cetacean_Probe.jpg

With soccer ball console attack!
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • davidwforddavidwford Member Posts: 1,836 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

I would totally be onboard for that. Dumb thing is, much of the TNG decks were redresses of the TMP sets. And the Battle Bridge was a redress of the Refit Connie Bridge.
  • shadowkoshshadowkosh Member Posts: 1,688 Arc User
    I for one have been saying for awhile that I would like TWOK bridge the Excelsior Bridge from STIII and STVI plus interiors maybe and update to the TWOK uniforms. But I would like to see an actual expansion of the movie era
  • widlast#3003 widlast Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    I'm holding out for a playable V'ger cloud....

Either that or the Whale Probe, though they probably would nerf the ability to drain most power from anything near by

• annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,593 Arc User
    I would be happy with a interior and uniform see this hread for a couple that could/should be added https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1240296/10-thinks-i-like-to-see-in-star-trek-online-in-the-future/p2
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    shadowkosh wrote: »
    I for one have been saying for awhile that I would like TWOK bridge the Excelsior Bridge from STIII and STVI plus interiors maybe and update to the TWOK uniforms. But I would like to see an actual expansion of the movie era

this would be divine
  • vampeiyrevampeiyre Member Posts: 633 Arc User
    shadowkosh wrote: »

this would be divine

10/10 would buy.
    "I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am."
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    Perhaps they will expand on Delta and make a sort of Delta Alliance faction consisting of most of the Delta alien races.
  • eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    Wishing for a bridge set is just wishful thinking. We all want it, but as of right now its getting a bridge set or getting a feature episode. Perhaps in 2020, not 2019.
  • ashlotteashlotte Member Posts: 316 Arc User
    Funny thing is, that random person/team of average Jacks n' Jills, put more work into that refit ship interior than Cryptic will ever do with another "expansion" again.
    ashlotte wrote: »
    Funny thing is, that random person/team of average Jacks n' Jills, put more work into that refit ship interior than Cryptic will ever do with another "expansion" again.

That "random person/team" ALSO didn't have other projects and deadlines to meet. So calling them out on that fact is not really fair. Tacofangs and his team have been busy with a full on revamp of DS9, on top of making environments for the new expansion, and you're bashing them for putting little effort into an expansion and being overshadowed by a fan project?
    Seriously not cool man. You gotta give Taco and his team credit for what they do.
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    I doubt we'll get an expansion, maybe an episode or two.

Frankly the chance to go into the movie era up to before TNG was missed during the temporal arc.

Sad too. Really could of had some interesting episodes in the forgotten eras of star trek.

But like I said. That ship has LONG sailed.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
    azrael605 wrote: »

Rofl, the fans that don't like Discovery are a small minority. Speaking for myself, a Trek fan since 1977 who enjoys all parts of the Trek franchise warts and all, Discovery had easily the best first season in the franchise.

The problem is, just like with Enterprise and the Kelvin Timeline... that small minority seems to be rather loud.
    Wish it was more visible here. But it seems like we don't see that. We just see the rants.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    Quick note on Johnny Verisga's youtube channel (linked in OP) he's not building within the performance constraints of STO. We're not likely to see anything quite that detailed in game (though Cryptic has become very proficient.)

Anyway, point for discussion: Enterprise B mission. 'Nuff said. :tongue:

(The devs have mentioned it as something they'd like to visit someday, though for a ship interior plus themed goodies I think a TMP-era themed season would be more appropriate than a full expansion [a la TNG's anniversary in STO]. Most of the stuff is already in game and only the excelsior and primary uniform could use an update.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,303 Community Moderator
    The Kelvin Timeline being handled the way it has been has probably more to do with that license being held by Paramount, so I'm sure there were some limitations on what could be done.

That being said, I don't think Cryptic will go "all in" on Discovery simply because the show is ongoing. Sure they'll include some things as the show and the game continues, but I don't know that we'd get an expansion or even a season based on it as long as the show is running, and only because neither would want to be hampered creatively since they are ongoing productions.

As to a Movie Era expansion, I don't know if we'd get that, maybe a season or an episode, more likely a Lockbox, to commemorate it. I would very much like to see more items of that era included in-game along with an update to the Excelsior.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    > @darthmeow504 said:
    > Underestimate the numbers if you will, but the fact that you cannot deny is that these productions are at best highly controversial among the fanbase and vehemently disliked by many. What would Cryptic gain by going all-in on it? The way they approached the Kelvin material was ideal, it was included as just one more ingredient in a stew that is mostly grounded in the TNG era and maintains a "Classic Trek" baseline. They would be wise to do the same with Discovery, including parts of it into the greater whole without overriding everything already present. You don't throw out everything you've established for 8+ years and have had success with, especially when it's grounded in 50+ years of history, for a new thing not yet two years old. To do so would likely alienate far more fans than it gained, especially when the more moderate option exists to merely include it as part of the greater whole rather than making it an exclusive focus.
    >
    > Regardless, this isn't the thread for Discovery. If you want more DIscovery material or a Discovery expansion, please feel free to make a thread about it. This is about requesting and discussing material based on the TMP-TUC era to coincide with the 40th anniversary of TMP in 2019. Please stick to that topic instead of derailing this thread, thank you kindly.

Doesn't matter if people want to go all in on Discovery. Outside of maybe a lock box and maybe an episode or two, the chance for an expansion has LONG since sailed with the TMP in the temporal arc.

And like I said. Cryptic could of stretched that chasing the enemies of the temporal accords across a whole slew of time periods up to and including:
    The ten years between TMP and TWOK
    The 7 years or so between ST5 and ST6
    The 70 years missing between the two eras depicted in Generations.

But that boat as SAILED. Get over it.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    talonxv wrote: »
    Doesn't matter if people want to go all in on Discovery. Outside of maybe a lock box and maybe an episode or two, the chance for an expansion has LONG since sailed with the TMP in the temporal arc.

And like I said. Cryptic could of stretched that chasing the enemies of the temporal accords across a whole slew of time periods up to and including:
    The ten years between TMP and TWOK
    The 7 years or so between ST5 and ST6
    The 70 years missing between the two eras depicted in Generations.

But that boat as SAILED. Get over it.

First of all:

A common mistake is to write the word of instead of have or the contraction 've. The reason for the mistake is that the pronunciation of have in unstressed contexts is the same as that of of, and the two words are confused when it comes to writing them down. The error was recorded as early as 1837 and, though common, is usually considered unacceptable in Standard English. -Oxford Dictionary

But I agree. The whole temporal arc could have been a great set-up for a era-spanning arc with multiple extensions and a lot of attention to detail. Sadly, I feel the whole topic and opportunity that comes with it hasn't been explored to a fraction of it's potential. And I don't even like time travel and rehashing of old episodes and content that much.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou