test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What keeps you playing STO?

12346»

Comments

• vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    [SNIP]
    Suggestion: Get rid of universal marks and make the reps account wide.
    [/SNIP

Did you mean to say "Get universal marks" or maybe "get rid of individual Rep marks"? Because there are no universal marks now, but they sound like a great idea to replace the plethora of different types of Rep marks!
  • mephizton2092mephizton2092 Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    What keeps me playing?
    1. It's star Trek and feels Star Trek.
    2. The game is offers what for different type of players. So i can enjoy this game with friends with each one having other goals in game playing.
    3. I feel welcome to play this game. Events ships, accountwide unlocks (no more deadgrind to exclude several chars on my account each event), some fun events, sound improvement during april, and freebees from Zenshop (to me it doesnt matter if i had it befor or not, i had more items for celebrations in sto then most of my previous games combined)
    4. i am not forced to join lockbox model, even if i desire some items, i could gamble or buy them from auction or spend some on keys. I can play entire game without any lockbox items.
    5. The story line (midnight end was great, but thats my opinion offcourse)
    6. Factions. The ships from 3 factions all have a distinct feeling, even if i would prefer some more faction specific questlines, I started with the romulan questline and it got me hooked to sto right away. ( it was almost perfect iconian pilot ships, the look alone, triggerd baltim hints. Allas it was just fed ship with no sing core and no cloacking. Simple copy with other visuals of the andorian pilot ships. The 1st bundle i skipped buying since i dont spend full price for just admirality cards). I can only have some critism about the last pilot bundle otherwise even if i dont like the typical ships looks, they always are a treat to try.
    7. Havent regretted a day as LTS. Bought it after a year i started playing STO.
    8. Dil is quite in balance not bad for a f2p game. Then again you got me always smiling at the phoenix boxes.
    9. Replay events. I started STO late, and i still got acces to my breen boff, reman sci boff, and candy psy wave cane stick. Even the delta rerun gave me acces to shinnies ive missed. So even for people who missed out had a chance to get the old shinies.
    10. First mmo where my friends can take a break and return, without being punished for missing a gear race or levelcap raise. They can return easy, and tagg along again having fun.
    11. The foundry. Done with all? Never finished everything in sto yet.
    12. Sto is extremly casual. You can get everything ingame except LTS stuff, with playing. Even on an casual alt i can finish rep or tweak gear without selling kidneys.
    13. And there are helpfull people who help you along the way. Teaching and learning you the game, without copying stuff from the best people but teaching you mechanics.
    "Reports of our depression are vastly exaggerated."
    "Anyaway, we don't often see a sense of humor in Section 31."
  • rkaliusrkalius Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    fftt wrote: »
    If this wasn't Star Trek I would have left the game long ago.

Well said... I check in in summer and winter for the seasonal events... love dominating the hoverboard races :) ... give us who missed it, a chance to get Marty's board plz :)
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    Sunk cost fallacy.

Kidding, kidding!

I enjoy the gameplay quite a bit. Space Barbie is a fun distraction. Star Trek is a wonderful setting. The complex array of ships, careers, and specializations makes for a massive amount of possibilities to toy around with. I get to fly some of the coolest ships in Trek, as well as some pretty great pieces by STO's own developers.

But the real kicker is the unexpected hilarity, be it animations behaving strangely or bizarre interactions when playing in a team.
    For instance - I was playing with my brothers a year or so ago. During Alexander's death scene in the Klingon arc, one of them exited the cutscene early, proceeding to, with miraculous alignment despite not seeing what he was doing, teabag Alexander repeatedly with his pink-haired squirrely Nausicaan. It was glorious.
  • tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
    luckyyahoo wrote: »
    I very much dislike the fact that some console sets/traits are hiddent behind the steep paywall of ships. I think your pricing is so elevated, it might actually be lowering your sales.

That's my major disappointment with the ships.
    I wanted to assemble a Dominion Console Set, but to complete it and get the power that reduces damage temporarily, that console is on the insanely overpriced T6 Bugship.

To be fair, it's not Cryptic who are causing the high price of ships like this, it's Exchange manipulation by the sellers/players.
    I think they've all decided collectively the price of the ship must be high and thus, anyone who wants it for legitimate reasons like myself are inconvenienced greatly because we don't have the time, money or inclination to work towards such an ludicrously high goal.
    I mean, it's just one ship for one character and it costs as much as 9 ships!

Cryptic may not have caused the price setting, but they encouraged it by making this and ships like it so hard to obtain.
    Therefore, they should take the step of supplying an alternate acquisition method for those of us who want them
    Ideally, I'd prefer these were sold directly in the C-Store, so we can get them ourselves without third party onsellers and Cryptic gets income directly from the sale as an added benefit.
    Most likely it'd still be a per character unlock, as befits it's exclusivity, but as I only want this ship for one character, I'd be okay with that.

FYI, am looking forward to the launch of Victory is Life on Wednesday the sixth, because the game will be filled with free Bugships and the special ones that cost a fortune won't stand out anymore.
    Sometimes the universe does make you smile with it's cosmic justice.

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • usskentuckyusskentucky Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    Here’s a suggestion: Scour the foundry for the very best fan-made episodes. Figure out the least resource-intensive way to spruce them up with voice overs (non paid actors), cut scenes, and basic editing to ensure playability. Call them “Holodeck Scenarios” or something like that to avoid continuity problems. Add them to the episodes menu. Pay the creator a reasonable fee as a contractor, something that doesn’t break the bank, to encourage quality foundry creations in the future. I’ve done some foundry work, but it’s too time intensive for me to get into. But it is one of the most unique things about this game and you have some very talented and creative Star Trek fans who love working in it. Why not tap that resource and incorporate their work beyond just calling it a spotlight?
  • usskentuckyusskentucky Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    > @vorwoda said:
    > usskentucky wrote: »
    >
    > [SNIP]
    > Suggestion: Get rid of universal marks and make the reps account wide.
    > [/SNIP
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Did you mean to say "Get universal marks" or maybe "get rid of individual Rep marks"? Because there are no universal marks now, but they sound like a great idea to replace the plethora of different types of Rep marks!

I meant Choice of Marks. They were killing the queues last I played, keeping people running the same ones over and over.
  • tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
    Could it be not the marks, but the gear tokens that is affecting the queues?
    If someone needs 8472 tokens, they're not going to be entering Delta queues, for example.

Most players seem to favor Omega tokens though, at least in my personal experience.

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
  • therealblackkaostherealblackkaos Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    Why I am playing STO

I started playin STO, along with other MMO’s, soon after COH/V shut down. As such, I looked for the “free to play’s” hat had some interesting aspect to it. I got hooked on STO because, as someone who grew up on it, it had enough lore and nostalgia to it.
    As I’ve played, I came to realize that’s it’s a great system to “pick up and play”. No convoluted menus to keep checking. No “let me calculate x and y” for gear. Just make your captain and go into the stars! And the fact that I’m playing on a console (PS 4) is even better (my pc is terrible at gaming and not in the market to get a new one yet).
    Now? After a few years of solid playtime, I want more. More stories. Longer missions. More references to the past as I blaze towards the future. More variety in story arcs between factions. Even the ability to use my other ships as my own personal “fleet”. But I do enjoy what Cryptic has given to this point.
    So I’ll be playing til the servers shut down. Which I hope never happens.
  • joel1974joel1974 Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    Why I play STO? Star Trek, first off.

I use to have some friends that played, but many of those have left. I can still play solo and enjoy myself, when I feel like it. I know few friends do something similar to that.

The game has improved so much since I started in 2014, as I can customise my ships how ever I want and not forced to pay for any content.
  • noemiecarnesirnoemiecarnesir Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    I totaly lost my message when I edited, so I will summer the previous message, sorry for it, I haven't the courage to rewrite all.

Possibility to play like a character simulation.
    Possibility to make a plump woman (BBW) and change the appearance when I want. (It's my first on MMO)
    Possibility to do a roleplay and fight with the gameplay.

Whishlist and where I will spend more:
    -Pack for unlock body feature on alien (tail for example)
    -Pack for unlock mix and matching with ground reputation undine outfit, bikini or other in uniform.
    -Pack for unlock advanced customisation for ship, for exemple mix match pods, ship body, and front with another ships in our shipyard.
    -Add playable species.
  • thelematikerthelematiker Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    jexsamx wrote: »
    I enjoy the gameplay quite a bit. Space Barbie is a fun distraction. Star Trek is a wonderful setting. The complex array of ships, careers, and specializations makes for a massive amount of possibilities to toy around with. I get to fly some of the coolest ships in Trek, as well as some pretty great pieces by STO's own developers.

This.

Star Trek and all the possibilities with all the Ships and specializations.
    If you want to play you have also a lot of options. Story, Battlezones (if they are not bugged like Tzenkethi), Foundry, Patrols.
    Or you just hang out on DS9, Q'onos or whatever and waiting for a queue to pop up (the waiting is a downside, but still an option)

Would like to see some of the old / not used queues to pop up as a random red alert. Maybe the people would play it then, who knows? People are enough there and also willing to play if you look how fast that Tholian ground thing pops up with an endeavor.

• strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    velqua wrote: »
    I keep playing the game because: I enjoy being in the Star Trek Universe; I like experimenting with different ship builds; I like spending time on certain maps, mainly ground maps (kind of wish we had an Exchange on Nimbus III); I like chatting with people who enjoy Star Trek and the game (remember Japori Online when players actually interacted with each other to accomplish a goal?); I personally like to do DOFF missions (how I miss using my Tuffli and transwarping to the each of the spacial anomalies); I spend some time at Ker'rat and Otha, so I might say "farming" with some PvP (not too thrilled on the whole one-hit vape); I used to spend a lot of my time the Voth Battlezone and Kobali Prime, but ever since we had to use DirectX 11, I haven't been able to stay long on those maps (definitely my favorite "farming" maps in the game); and of course, there is Risa an Q's Winter Wonderland (I do wish we had more DOFF missions there).

If there is one thing I would like to see added to this game, it is some means to eliminate Vanity Pets from being stored in the Banks. I had mentioned a Vanity Pet tab where we can store those pets we purchase or obtain, but I wouldn't mind if they became reclaimable so that we could delete and retrieve them after we either obtained them or purchased them.

Yea I'd agree with you on this one Velqua! I've often posted it would be nice it we had a place to store all our Pet's, then could just choose which one we wanted to enable on our Powertray. Like an Pet Day Care Bank or alternate place they provide some many slots with possibility to buy more with ZEN.
    0zxlclk.png
  • queencestaqueencesta Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    I love tweaking my ships and blowing stuff up in space combat, I've found a great guild to hang out with and generally be a giant Trek nerd with and I haven't hopped on any of the treadmills that I know, from prior MMO experience, will lead me directly to burnout.

You've made it reasonably attainable to do a lot of ship tweaking. I don't feel like I have to farm and grind my face off in order to get gear and traits that let me flex my creative will-it-blend muscles a bit.

That one's pretty big for me. So many MMO's have such boring advancement that I fail to find any excitement in it at all.

I like STO more than most MMO's both because it's Star Trek and that I can make some pretty excellent gear loadouts on pretty easily attainable ships, and there's a fairly wide field of play for what might turn out viable if you just build it right.

If this game wasn't Star Trek but still had the space combat and generously broad field of play when it comes to different gearing strategies, I'd probably still play it, and I can't say that about most big IP MMO's I've ever played.

LotRO? If it weren't Tolkien, I wouldn't have touched it in the first place.

SWTOR? Ditto. I haven't touched it in years despite also loving Star Wars because it's such an outhouse in so many, many ways.

Elder Scrolls Online? If it weren't the only way I could play Elder Scrolls with my husband and friends, I wouldn't have touched that one either. And I certainly wouldn't have stuck with it.

But STO's space combat with its robust ability to build fun boom-shooty-kerbang ships entertains me mightily.

And the fact that it's all pretty darn legit Star Trek goodness is lovely.
  • furyan#5289 furyan Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    The ability to create PvP ship builds, and character outfits. I wish we had more clothing options for our characters. Maybe you all could just unlock all clothing options for all factions. Oh, and beams fire too slow.
    tritan2409 wrote: »
    "I'd primarily love to hear about what aspects of current game are motivating to you, but wishlist items are also OK. We all want to make a game that you enjoy logging in and playing on a regular basis, so your thoughts on this are appreciated."

Im a LTS since beta and life long Trek fan. So ive seen this game in its every stage, the highs and the lows, just so you know where im coming from.

I love the space game, ship combat is brilliant and i like how deep and nuanced the building can be. I also love the story missions ( specially the newer ones. ). Although a mission every other month ish? Waaaay to slow.I'd like more story content more often but this is what helps keep me interested.

The main reason im still here though is the people ive met and become friends with over the years. To think when i met these people most were single and now are married with kids just blows my mind. 8 years, been that long already?

So although those friendships are very important on keeping me here, one thing i feel is missing.

Exploration.

I know i know, been brought up before etc, but i really do miss that feeling. Its Star Trek, we should be boldly going a bit more than we are at present. If that would have to be done through story then fine, but more please.

Otherwise im broadly happy, there are other niggles i have but this isnt the place for it.

TLDR : love space game, friends keep me here along with story ( more of please ), more exploration type content in future please.

PPPPLEASE BRING THIS BACK!
    What brings me back to STO again and again?

First, there's the story. I keep coming back to see where the narrative is taking us.

Then, there are my characters. I've maxed out my character slots at 54 and I still want more. (Hint, hint. Increase the cap. :mrgreen: ) New Reputations, new ships, new costumes, all have me coming back to develop new characters or revamp older ones.

Events and the rewards that come with them, moreso now that they are moving to account unlocks.

As for wishlist items: I'd like to see the return of a revamped Exploration System.

And one other thing that I keep wishing for and I hope to one day see get further development is Ship Interiors. It's something that I will continue to advocate until the server shuts down.

It's too bad that something isn't being done with ship interiors, because most of Star Trek took place on the ship. I think it's something that would be worth investing development time in, because the work put into it could then be used as a basis for so many other things: episode mission maps, PVE/PVP queue maps, etc.

I've said before that I'd love to see Starship Interiors done the way Fleet Starbases are done, but scaled to a personal level. Fleet Starbases have their various leveling projects and cosmetic projects. Starship Interiors could work the same way with project inputs scaled to the individual rather than an entire fleet. Leveling one's Starship Interior would give a player access to more things: Bank, Email, Tailor, etc. Cosmetic projects could allow for decor in the Captain's Quarters, Ten Forward, or even allow to toggle between TOS, TMP, TNG, and 2410 aesthetics.

*more in the spoiler tags to hide the Wall of Text

Fleet Starbases have holdings that can also be leveled and have cosmetic projects. On Starship Interiors this would be represented by adding new decks, for example:

Crew Deck: Captain's Quarters with possible Tailor access and trophy displays. Ten Forward with a variety of games that we've seen played in Star Trek and possibly a dance floor. Assign quarters to various BOFFS, visit them and they could give you a daily mission to be done aboard ship.

Life Sciences: a menagerie for storing and displaying pets bought and earned, possible breeding projects for said pets to be unlocked, games for scanning, detecting, identifying life forms.

Stellar Cartography: scanning games for locating, identifying various stellar phenomenon.

Sick Bay: triaging patients game (similar to the Kobali triage mission) for crew members that wander into Sick Bay.

Shuttle Bay: small craft that we own could be displayed here, switching to small craft could be done here, traveling to Fleet Holding could be done here, queueing for shuttle PVE/PVP could be done here, perhaps some unique shuttle piloting/racing missions could be done from here.

Engineering: engineering diagnostic games (warp field, plasma flow adjustments), detecting problems on the ship somewhere then going there and fixing it, a Jefferies tube scavenger hunt type game (using a blank map like Temporal Ambassador), crafting of unique items available only here.

Allow our designated Department Heads to be assigned to occupy the relevant station on board, ex) CMO would be in Sick Bay, Chief Engineer would be in Engineering.

Allow us some (at least limited) choices on crew composition. Perhaps using toggles for species, uniforms that they wear. These options could also be made available through cosmetic projects. Personally, I'd love to see the DOFF roster used to determine crew composition. Allow a toggle or slider for number of crew on a given map with 0 being an option as well. Interacting with random crew members could yield a daily mission or unique DOFF assignment.

The maps themselves could be used to update older episode missions that take place aboard a ship and future missions that need to take place aboard a ship. Also, ship boarding/repel boarders PVE/PVP queues could use the maps as well.

Additionally, the Starship Interiors maps would be separate and independent from the bridge, so one could use the bridge of their choice. There could be an option to sync visuals between the bridge and interior for ships that only have a bridge and no other decks to re-skin those decks with the same aesthetics. For example, using a Hirogen ship would re-skin the Starship Interiors deck maps using Hirogen textures, using a Tholian ship would re-skin them using Tholian textures.

Unless there is a way to connect them via map moving in the turbolift, unique ship interiors would be retained as they are. They just wouldn't utilize this system. So your full TOS, Defiant, Voyager, etc. interiors would be retained and could be used separately. This proposed Starship Interiors system would be the new default interior for your ship, though. There might be uproar about that, but it's the best way to preserve previous ship interior/bridge purchases with (hopefully) minimal uproar. Perhaps have those purchases automatically unlock texturing/lighting aesthetics to give them an extra bonus. So, those canon interior aesthetics could be applied to the new interiors. It wouldn't be an exact TOS interior, but it would look like that era. It wouldn't be an exact TNG interior, but it would use that aesthetic. It wouldn't be an exact Tholian interior, but it would fit that style.

The deck/room layouts would be generic, so that they could be easily used for missions. As it is, doing a 5-man Starbase defense, the queue randomly chooses a Fleet Starbase from among the participants. Whatever level/visuals that base is in is the map that's used. Same would go for a potential 5-man ship boarding/repelling queue maps. Someone in the team's ship map will be used. The layouts are all the same, but the look might be different.

Yes, FED, KDF, and ROM would need 3 separate layouts, but only for the crew deck and engineering deck. New decks added, like holdings, could be a generic corridor with rooms branching off. What would make them unique would be the skin that's applied to them: a Starfleet skin, Klingon skin, Romulan skin as the basic default look depending on the character. Other skins would be unlocked via cosmetic projects, C-Store purchases, Lock Box ships, etc. The Reputation System could be tied into it, too: Tier 5 Reputation Project that allows for unique Starship Interior visuals.

Oh, and this would be a per character system, not account wide, unless a certain purchase unlocks for the account.

This would make the game amazing!
  • daqheghdaqhegh Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    What keeps me playing? I don't have an answer yet. I took a 2 1/2 year break with the intention of NEVER coming back. My buddy called me out of the blue and told me the Cardassians are FINALLY coming, so I logged back in to grind some currency to prepare. What I found was amazing. I was expecting to only barely make the 8,000 DIL cap with like 50 instances. I thought crafting was still rigged against the players and forcing us to buy DIL with cash for the chance at maybe getting good gear. And I thought that the grind was still the main game mechanic in everything fro Delta patrols, to reps, and even the old STFs. I was assuming the reasons I left, the lockboxes, the DPS race, and the powercreep, were still primary. W

That amazing thing I found? The fact that the game doesn't suck anymore. Okay, I'll never agree with the summer and winter events, and I doubt I'll ever get far with crating beyond selling the stuff I make. But WOW has DS9 been fixed! This is the third of fourth revamp since BETA and it's about time they did it right! We should have had Cardassians from the start, but whatever. We have them now and I plan to savor every possible moment as one. My main has always been an alien lookalike. Now I have a real one!

The graphics are unbelievable now. The Badlands looks like The Badlands, and the textures on planets border on 3D in some places. ESD is better, too, with that huge window overlooking the docking bay. The Devidians look like creatures and not ghosts now. The story FINALLY makes sense now. Originally we would just shoot at whatever hostile species was there, be it Klingons, Orions, Cardassians, Kazons, whatever. Now we shoot with purpose, and the enemies fit in the story. Some missions were removed for not making sense (like escort missions that happened because of reasons...) and it runs smoother because of it. I still miss the star cluster missions because of the loot and EC they would yield, but this was mostly before the DIL system was introduced. I see now why it was all removed. I would like to finish some of the accolades from it, though. Beyond that, I'm fine without a lot of the older stuff.

Defera is still bugged to hell. Not that I'm even slightly surprised. But Defera was the first battle zone. It predated the reps, too. So I can see how that area would still have its issues. Would be nice if it worked at least the same way it worked before, though,

So what KEEPS me here? I dunno. I'm still deciding what I want to do. My long break combined with a lifer account left me with an insane amount of Zen, so I bought a Gamma pack with it. So it's a safe bet I'll be around for a while. But permanently? I can't say yet. I'll make that decision once I have my fill of the Dominion.
    My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
  • valarauko43valarauko43 Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    You keep trying and I can tell because Quark's Lucky Seven. Also. I want to be around if exploration ever comes back. Just before it went away someone had clearly been trying to fix it because some of the bad stuff like boffs falling through the floor had stopped happening. There's always something that one of my characters has not done yet or something that a character is gearing for to tackle again. As long as I can see the screen and push the buttons...I'm ready when you are.
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,762 Arc User
    I gotta say, missions like Quark's Lucky Seven keep me playing. Totally unexpected, very enjoyable mission with lots of fun surprises.
    11th-Doctor-bowtiesarecool.jpg
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    Becuase its casual, is Star Trek and does not have "real raids" when I want "real raids" I play an old school MMO like FFXIV. Got one on sunday night.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • vosorosvosoros Member Posts: 343 Arc User
    The vain hope they'll fix my intrepid class nacelles when in sector space and keeping atop of the grind for the next, big thing.

;)

Other than that it's about tweaking my starship, shuttle and ground gear to the point I'm happy...and then going inside my intrepid ships intrepid bridge and interior and listening to the music in my quarters knowing so few Starfleet captains have it so good. Now I just need a holodeck to run my holonovels...

:D
  • zurganuszurganus Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    You ask what keeps me here, and then mention mechanics and all that...well for me it has nothing to do with mechanics or gameplay. What keeps me coming back is story and because its Star Trek. I am a sucker for story, the game could be total garbage gameplay wise, but if it has a decent story I will stick with it. (Not saying STO is garbage gameplay) Thats prolly why I have so many characters to play.