What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official Landing Page Feedback Thread

Comments

• alexanderb#7559 alexanderb Member Posts: 188 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @alexanderb#7559 said:
    > I don't know who came up with the idea, but this landing page is annoying and doesn't add anything to the game. We already know where to find the news, we don't need this irritating screen everytime we login to a character.

The constant stream of posts from people insisting that there is no news announcements, despite the actual facts being opposite of that, says that many STO players do not in fact know where to find the news. On top of that, the fact that Neverwinter has had this same landing screen for years now says that it is useful to some & its not going anywhere.

Never seen anyone that didn't know where to find the news. Looking at this topic and in-game chat, there are not that many people who find this screen usefull at all, especially on each character login.

So we should have a disable option, get it limited to show only once a day or just have it on the logoff/option menu alone.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,015 Community Moderator
    Needs some refinement.
    Will take some getting used to, but... at least players will be able to stay up to date on things in game.

I admit some slight annoyance at seeing it several times when character hopping though. But not calling for total removal or anything.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,784 Arc User
    I don't see the added value of this.

At the very least this should be changed so that you only see it once, for example after starting the game. Not after every character swap. That is just beyond pointless, it's annoying. The game doesn't change every two minutes or even every couple of hours so there is zero reason to show it this often.

And maybe give us an option not to see it at all. The old character swap menu worked fine. I get my news from the launcher if I don't see it here on the forum first.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 903 Arc User
    I had to log on and see what the fuss was about.

Basically it adds 7 more clicks to my day that already has many thousands. So I guess I would describe it as somewhat irritating.

My main concern was whether it would lag or hang my game and it doesn't seem to so that's o k.

You're lucky, because my log ins now take about 5-7 seconds longer, with the screen zooming in and out on my character and generally acting like a spastic mosquito, and then freezes for a second before the Landing Page pops up. Which may not seem like much, but when it's across 10+ character and it's on. Every. Single. Character change... then it quickly moves from nuisance, to intolerable.
    I thought it might be a one time only event as the game loaded the damn thing for the first time. But nope, it's each and every time.

Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
    ilithyn wrote: »

You're lucky, because my log ins now take about 5-7 seconds longer, with the screen zooming in and out on my character and generally acting like a spastic mosquito, and then freezes for a second before the Landing Page pops up.

That's some rather odd behavior...
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,309 Community Moderator
    Ok, folks. It's not working correctly at the moment and the devs are aware. That being said, some of these comments are getting over the top. Let's keep the feedback civil and constructive.

vVFJ4Ql.png
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    Ok, folks. It's not working correctly at the moment and the devs are aware.

Oh? Can we get some details? I'm interested to hear this.
  • kronin#4685 kronin Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    Fifteen minutes before the update, I was playing STO, and everything was fine. Then, this update changes the log in, and now I can't log into the game. I know, bug reports go elsewhere, but I suspect this feature may be to blame, so I'm saying so here. Once I can log in, and experience this new feature, I will come back here and post my thoughts.
  • jabofneurospinejabofneurospine Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    Yeah, this is a bit of an annoyance. It's not terrible and it has some value for many people who play the game, particularly those who are new, returning from a long break, or otherwise don't go to the forums or news page. For anybody else however, it's just a nuisance that needlessly prevents you from playing the game until you dismiss it. (which is likely followed by at least one npc doing the exact same thing afterwards) Additionally, while I actually like the idea of having extra information available on the options menu, the way this new implementation is arranged is rather awkward. It's just got the exact same 'Main Menu' as before, but shoved into the corner of a box that's centered on the screen. The big space to the right with complex images on it immediately draws your attention, leading to you having to actively search for the options you probably where looking for in the first place. It might not perfectly fit the lcars aesthetic, but having the menu centered with news symmetrically placed on either side would alleviate that minor issue. (also, the confirmation popup appears at the center screen, disassociating it with the menu in it's new location)

I don't think it should be removed entirely, but making it optional would be a good compromise. And it could probably use some minor tweaks to limit the annoyance it causes players and improve upon it's usefulness.
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Then you have not been here very long at all. We have had raging flame threads where people claimed there had not been any news posts in months when the reality was that there had been multiple news posts daily for the exact time period the person claimed there had been no news at all. This happens a lot.

^ Very true. People who aren't on Reddit or other social media outlets (which doesn't include their own forums because I get frustrated by having to hear about things from a friend who pokes their head into Reddit) complain that the Devs don't keep us informed of ANYTHING.

I can see this, when it actually works as intended, as a way to counter those flames.
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    BURN IT!!!!

That really is all there is to say about it.

This is a computer game, not a dammed tacky pop-up ad-infested website I need to run Adblock on simply to be able to use properly.

Get a dammed grip Cryptic, bad move...bad move.
    SulMatuul.png
  • daviddxxdaviddxx Member Posts: 200 Arc User
    I don't know who came up with the idea, but this landing page is annoying and doesn't add anything to the game. We already know where to find the news, we don't need this irritating screen everytime we login to a character.

^^
    Regarts
    David
    fIDFtkM.gif
    Star Trek Online
    *** Aktiv since 03.06.10 ***
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    This was a very bad idea. I just logged in for the first time after the patch, saw this, and closed. Then I went to look and see if there was a way to disable. Just to see the same thing again.

Look...

We get that you want us to do stuff in game.

Shoving it in our faces is not that way to do that.

Designing things that are actually worth doing, is the way to get us to do stuff.

Either add in a way to disable this permanently or remove it.

On a side note this. Since that patch, I've had 2 fatal crash errors. I was in the foundry for one, that one took a couple hours to happen. The second was less than 3 minutes after I loaded into the map.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    Well now, STO is now similar to Champions Online. They have had this very same "feature" over there for a couple of years and it hasn't improved by moving it here. If anything, it's actually worse.

Once I'm fully logged in, hitting ESC closes the window and I'm fine with that. The part I find extremely annoying is having it show up again when I log out. I can live with having it there on logging in, even on ALL of my characters, but having it there when I log out too? Yup, that's too much.

Remove it from the logout and I'll live with it when logging in. That shouldn't be too much to ask.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
    edited May 2018
    Or fixing stuff we liked to do like viscous cycle and undine infiltration queues that are bugged for over 2 years now. I'm sure it would have taken less time to track the fire extinguisher bug than to create this banner thingamajig.

With how old the code is for that... I kinda doubt it would be faster to find that bug. There's no telling what caused it, or what is connected to it.

With how the code sometimes turns into speggetti, fixing that fire extinguisher bug could end up breaking something elsewhere in the game, like how the Borg used to break every time Cryptic fixed something.

Don't know who was around for the EPIC EPtE Spheres incident, but... yea... that was fun. They pop EPtE, they might as well be jumping to Warp because next thing you know they're on the opposite side of the map.

I'm no programmer, but I do know that Debug work is not as easy as it sounds. Its not like you can just flip a switch on something broken in game and it works.

Also... Bort's debug team had nothing to do with the current Landing Page. I just don't understand why people always forget that Dev teams are not jacks of all trades. They have departments that handle specific areas. So the people who made the Landing page have nothing to do with bug squshing.
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    trennan wrote: »
    Designing things that are actually worth doing is the way to get us to do stuff.

Or fixing stuff we liked to do like viscous cycle and undine infiltration queues that are bugged for over 2 years now. I'm sure it would have taken less time to track the fire extinguisher bug than to create this banner thingamajig. People don't play queues anymore because queuing system itself is somewhat broken and most of the queues are broken too, not because they don't want to play endgame.

True. There are queues I do like. Even ground stuff, like Defera, that I like to go do. I don't, because they're bugged. Deferea has been that way since the release of Legacy of Romulus.

So yeah, this would be a major first step. This interface, is going in the wrong direction.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • humblesheephumblesheep Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    Saw it 32 time in the last hour, just doffing and one MI. Please take it away. Perhaps once when you log on, but not twice for every character. It's nearly as annoying as that bloke that pop up, interrupting you, whatever your doing, to tell you that the timeline is secure!
  • ak255ak255 Member Posts: 317 Arc User
    This is stupid popping up in my face all the time, only to remind me about how greedy you are about wanting us to buy keys, the irony of showing a "new" PvE queue when hardly anyone's doing them anymore, another new Episode mission where you just walk around, talk to people and shoot things here and there with nothing unique, and to see what's with the new Season/Update, even though you already do that with the glowing question mark every time we log in.

Funny how it doesn't mention Mirror Event. You'd think this be something for limited time events or sales or the big Summer and/or Winter events. But I guess that makes too much sense.
    Guys... Baddmoon said earlier in the thread that the Landing Page isn't working as intended already.

Give 'em a break, let them sort it out so that it IS working, THEN judge it.
  • theshroudedtheshrouded Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    I agree with everybody that says this needs to be removed, and it need to be removed right now who's bright idea was it to add this stupid thing to the game.
  • doublechadoublecha Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    Very bad idea, net pages are already invaded by advertising, please not that in game.
    +1 for the option to disable it, +2 for total suppression
    Qapla'
  • husker1964husker1964 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    Evidently your new landing page is messing everything up. I keep getting a D3D error, I never got before the patch on 5/10/18. I can't get in to play now.
  • disqord#9557 disqord Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Guys... Baddmoon said earlier in the thread that the Landing Page isn't working as intended already.

Give 'em a break, let them sort it out so that it IS working, THEN judge it.

While yes, a lot of people are frustrated that the new feature "isn't working as intended," it still seems that many of the complaints are about the feature just being useless in general. Most of us use the news link at the top of the launcher, and there's also the problem of the most useful information not being found anywhere inside it.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    husker1964 wrote: »
    Evidently your new landing page is messing everything up. I keep getting a D3D error, I never got before the patch on 5/10/18. I can't get in to play now.

This might be relevant:
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1240017/windows-10-april-update
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!