test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official Landing Page Feedback Thread

Comments

• duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    patrickngo wrote: »
    so the layout has to be changed, and your suggestion of linking it to the 'hail' button instead is probably alright, except that all that info is already there on the 'hail' button, which was clearly seen as a problem by the guys who designed this.

I think the design target was probably a welcome pop-up that was presentable at a glance. The current hail button probably doesn't quite satisfy that need (the references are mostly static, pushed aside by an overly large event window, and some of the most important news is relegated to a tiny, rotating pane on the left side.)

Cryptic may have just figured that it was preferable to design a new menu than try to retrofit an old system (not expecting that to the STO audience a bare-bones, quadrant-based landing page is going to vastlyundershoot the target) which is just a plausible sounding explanation for how we ended up with the current thing. They didn't think it would be a big project and avoided a more substantial revamp. Now, there's a strong argument for a more substantial revamp. Ie. update the hail menu.
    and it's not leaving. They may even refuse to allow you to disable it, depending on what the business case used to force implementation was.

Not much of one if 75% of the content is unmonetized and the remaining pane is advertising an item that frequently appears in your inventory anyway. The landing page is mostly geared towards basic news. It's not relevant for most serious players but to a very casual audience (who might not have logged in for a while) then it's technically on target (but still in need of significant improvement, ie. added utility.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • lordludicous#6518 lordludicous Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    All members of the moderation team are volunteers. The Community Manager is a Cryptic employee.

It really disturbs me how UNclear this situation is on the forums. Many people see a mod chime in on a thread and think their statements have more weight than the "regular" posters, but with the SOLE exception of forum rules, that is false.

Like someone said earlier, the mods don't work for Cryptic or PWE. They don't have any inside information. Their comments aren't informed by any inside knowledge.

The sad part is, it seems like some mods make their comments in a declarative way which creates the false impression described above. They need to be more clear that they are only stating their personal opinion and may very well be wrong.

Yes. Agreed.
  • fun4ever#6757 fun4ever Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    4 ppl ho have many 2ns...

bind this /gotocharacterselect to some key and u avoid annoying logout popup...
    edited May 2018
    'casual' players? it isn't good for them, either.

Yeah, not a whole lot to respond to here. I think you went off on a presumption of an opinion (if what you're saying is directed specifically at my post, as opposed to general pontificating for the benefit of a wider audience) when I agree with you that the current landing page isn't much besides an obtrusive/intrusive pop-up (and that's not good.) I just wanted to add a few things on top of that. The only utility that one can technically define (that isn't redundant to loading screens and the launcher) is if someone clicks through the shortcut to in-game content (never mind how frequently that takes place, that's simply the condition for functionality.) More features, and a more relevant spread of information (across time and people), need to be added to justify a welcome page/hub in STO (so that it's not just a pop-up with limited information content, evolving at a seasonal pace, that you immediately click through.)

I would like to make clear though that "technically on target" isn't an endorsement of ads or the current landing page. It means that from a restricted point of view, one can say that the landing page is doing something that might have been part of the original design document but if you add context it is not performing well. It's throwing links at "casual players," but that doesn't mean that they're being effectively received (given the limited scope, slow cycling, and other issues) or even that their net effect is positive (relevance restricted to someone who hasn't logged in since the welcome page was updated. Once they play the promoted content...)

Hence: technically, rather than simply saying it's "on target."

Suggestion (to avoid the issues of pop-ups altogether): introduce a flashing green icon for the mission journal's hail icon when new episodes have been added to STO (with other recommended changes to the hail page too, just to make it a better go-to source for in-game news.)
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    New? Players were commenting about pop-up on log-out being a problem on page one. Hence: not furthering the cause of productive discussion. You're circling around old points with greater and greater degrees of distress (see. your comment about physical pain) apparently to try to affect a greater imperative for dev action. Unfortunately, how upset any given individual is at the landing page is not going to have an effect on the speed of a fix and other iterative changes. It'll take as long as it's going to take and you're not going to force action sooner by hyperventilating. Hence: ease up and try engaging in constructive problem solving (ie. concrete suggestions, bearing in mind where discussion is now and what's been said already).

That will at least set you on a different course from reflexively arguing with someone who is explicitly suggesting changes that not only validate but also will satisfy your complaint (ie. move the landing page out of the ESC menu, I've been agreeing with this for several pages now.) If you're not in a good place for that though, take a break and I say that 1. expecting a certain retort and 2. as a fellow community member.

So why do you keep doing that when you know it’s not furthering the cause of productive discussion? Why do you keep circling around old points? Old points that you keep needlessly bringing back up?

As for my post I added new valid reasons why the popup on logout is a problem. It was not to apply greater imperative for dev action and no one is hyperventilating. Adding extra valid points is what this thread is about. At least I have added new content which is more then you have done recently.

“Hence: ease up and try engaging in constructive problem solving (ie. concrete suggestions, bearing in mind where discussion is now and what's been said already).”
    Please take your own advice. It would be helpful to constructive discussion if you ease up and stop trying to alter other people’s posts. Stop mispresenting other people which you have done throughout this thread. Stop with your unnecessary attitude and unnecessary drama.

Can you also stop misquoting people (EDIT: I am not the first person to ask you to stop this). Its misleading and confusing. Combined with your overly dramatic choice of words and that the only way for this to happen is for you to purposely edit quotes, it comes across as you are only here to cause disruption.
    Post edited by pottsey5g on
  • lordatrocitieslordatrocities Member Posts: 462 Arc User
    I like it but would love the ability to turn it off or limit when it is displayed.
    What happened to those unique forum ranks I paid for?
    edited May 2018
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    So why do you keep doing that when you know it’s not furthering the cause of productive discussion? Why do you keep circling around old points? Old points that you keep needlessly bringing back up?

I'll just refer you to this comment:
    [Constructive problem solving] will at least set you on a different course from reflexively arguing with someone who is explicitly suggesting changes that not only validate but also will satisfy your complaint
    I am explicitly agreeing with you that the landing page needs changing, it needs changing with respect to the ESC menu in particular, but I will caution against overly vague and heated language (as we've seen their most extreme consequences on display [until moderated] throughout this thread.)

That is simply it. I apologize for not doing more to make this point apparent though I do feel that you could be doing a lot more to provide specific feedback and concrete suggestions. What you've said about the landing page is valid, but there may be ways to improve the argument to be sure its having the intended effect.

I see that my posts aren't having the intended effect (I'm not intending to antagonize you), so here we have a statement saying "sorry, let's move on."
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    [Mod Hat] All right, that's enough backseat moderating. If you think a post crosses a line, report it. But don't try to use "overly emotional language" as an excuse to dismiss an argument. [/Mod Hat]
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    I can count on one hand the number of online games I know that didn't have some kind of announcement page/pop-up on login. Many have multiple pop-ups in a row. News feed, login bonus or three, events starting, new premium items for sale, etc.

Never seen them get this kind of comment, ever. Rarely seen them get any comment at all, actually. It is, after all, about as trivial an issue as one can get.

I suppose it's because here it's new. People tend to resist change, just because it's different. Nobody would care to complain the exit menu buttons are 3 inches off-center if they'd been that way before. And if someone threatened to quit over an announcement window that had always been there, the only reaction they'd get is "can i haz ur stuff."

That's the other thing about how badly conceived the STO lander is in the version that hit the live servers.

It seems like whoever did it never bothered to check the how the competition (or cryptic sister titles) do them, take notes and work from there. It's been done in a way that is far too clunky for it to have been done by someone who saw more than a basic screenshot of what they are.

Does it work? yes.

Does it work well? Well it works.
  • ajr62ajr62 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    to who ever thought that the landing page was a good idea its not it still takes up the majority of the screen upon entering the game i dont need to see that right as soon as i get in the game or when i go to change characters or accounts. you have the game launcher that posts the new items you have the news feed you dont need the landing page its a wast of space get it fixed before the launch of season 15
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    I can count on one hand the number of online games I know that didn't have some kind of announcement page/pop-up on login. Many have multiple pop-ups in a row. News feed, login bonus or three, events starting, new premium items for sale, etc.

Never seen them get this kind of comment, ever. Rarely seen them get any comment at all, actually. It is, after all, about as trivial an issue as one can get.

I suppose it's because here it's new. People tend to resist change, just because it's different. Nobody would care to complain the exit menu buttons are 3 inches off-center if they'd been that way before. And if someone threatened to quit over an announcement window that had always been there, the only reaction they'd get is "can i haz ur stuff."

That's the other thing about how badly conceived the STO lander is in the version that hit the live servers.

It seems like whoever did it never bothered to check the how the competition (or cryptic sister titles) do them, take notes and work from there. It's been done in a way that is far too clunky for it to have been done by someone who saw more than a basic screenshot of what they are.

Does it work? yes.

That's not really the focus of the complaints, though. Obviously it could and should have more/better info on it. Events in particular. But it's been said and not much discussion about it. That's unfortunate, because discussion about the content of the page would be useful. They'll have time to focus on the content on the page later now that it's in place mechanically and user feedback could be taken into consideration. This is potentially a very good information channel.

No matter how "first draft" the content of the landing page is, some people's reaction to it's mere existence is unreasonable. Not to mention pointless. They're not going to remove it over a few people's gross overreactions.

Does it work? yes.

That's not really the focus of the complaints, though. Obviously it could and should have more/better info on it. Events in particular. But it's been said and not much discussion about it. That's unfortunate, because discussion about the content of the page would be useful. They'll have time to focus on the content on the page later now that it's in place mechanically and user feedback could be taken into consideration. This is potentially a very good information channel.

No matter how "first draft" the content of the landing page is, some people's reaction to it's mere existence is unreasonable. Not to mention pointless. They're not going to remove it over a few people's gross overreactions.

you're kind of missing why people are rejecting its existence, Warpangel.
    No, I'm really not. You're kind of missing that I just said, in the post you just quoted, that some people "rejecting" it is completely pointless. The developers didn't ask your permission to put it there and they're not going to remove it just because you say so.
    1. it is formulated like a popup ad. People hate those despise them.
    No, it's formulated like a splash screen. Almost every online game has one.
    2. it's linked onto the esc. menu, so they have to look at it every time they want to adjust their screen settings, this compounds the irritation.
    Oh, the horror, there is information in a menu, it's evil call the ghostbusters. :D
    3. It contains nothing of value that isn't already better presented on the Hail menu or the launcher.
    That's your opinion. Personally, I'm looking forward to them adding information. This is the perfect platform for informing players of current goings-on. The hail menu isn't in the login path and has only a nameless rotating banner and there is basically no reason for players to even look at the launcher at all.
    4. It was released in a defective state (by the Developer's own admission) without testing, and has remained unrepaired. Meaning that it comes across as exactly what it is: shoddy work shoveled onto the game.
    And this is why the devs don't talk here more. An info screen showing up a bit more often than planned is a trivial issue not subject to unscheduled work. It works fine. It was, IMO, a mistake for them to even say it was not intended to come up every time. They could've quietly adjusted it at some point and saved everyone the whine.
    5. nobody asked for this. this is different from the UI change (People were clamoring for an update to the queue UI prior to it being updated. Not everyone, but people did express a desire for one) or the Crafting revamp (which again, had a portion of the community lobbying for it). By contrast, the splash page was tossed together and thrown on for no apparent reason, except to (apparently) throw off muscle-memory habits and push lockbox key sales.
    People asked for this. I've asked for this. Pretty much every time there is someone complaining they missed an event or whatnot people ask for this.
    6. it's apparent that even LESS consideration was taken for what should actually go on the splash page, than how it functions. Tossing obsolete information on it, an advert for lockbox keys, and cramming the user controls over to the side, it shows a lack of forethought or consideration, and the utter lack of testing prior to even see if it's functioning correctly first?
    You know complaining about the same thing twice in the same list doesn't make it any more valid? They can add more information later. The current information there is not "obsolete" either, it's just not enough.

And moving some buttons 3 inches to the left is still no issue whatsoever.
  • nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    The execution of this Landing Page implementation was dreadful & amateurish. It should had been pulled when it wasn't functioning as intended &/or properly tested beforehand. I'm sure this was some Employee of the Month's brain-TRIBBLE idea & got a little bonus for it. It simply isn't offering anything that wasn't already available.
    bunkering up and screaming "Everything is awesome" doesn't change the fact that this should have been done better, nor that the hostile reaction (in here) is just the tip of the iceberg.
    The hostile reaction is par for the course. Everything they change always gets the standard angry rants of DOOOOOM. Everything is badly done, everything drives players away, everything is a slap in the face. None of it means anything. For sure it doesn't even drive the complainers away.

As I said, the content of the landing page will hopefully be improved. But it's not going to get removed. If they removed everything people complained about, there'd be no game left at all.

At the end of the day it's still just a trivial little splash screen. Expansion is coming, lots of bigger things to throw temper tantrums over.
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    bunkering up and screaming "Everything is awesome" doesn't change the fact that this should have been done better, nor that the hostile reaction (in here) is just the tip of the iceberg.
    The hostile reaction is par for the course. Everything they change always gets the standard angry rants of DOOOOOM. Everything is badly done, everything drives players away, everything is a slap in the face. None of it means anything. For sure it doesn't even drive the complainers away.

As I said, the content of the landing page will hopefully be improved. But it's not going to get removed. If they removed everything people complained about, there'd be no game left at all.

At the end of the day it's still just a trivial little splash screen. Expansion is coming, lots of bigger things to throw temper tantrums over.
    But it’s not just a trivial little splash screen if it was many of use wouldn’t be complaining like we are. The problem goes beyond because it's new or that people are resistance to change or something different.

• postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    The FE has remained active even after the daft poking stick was unlocked. Don't know if its on purpose or simply because noone bothered to check when it expired.

Doesn't shift away from the fact that the lander isn't being used for anything up to date. Such as the MI event or the flash sale that happened. Both things that should have been put onto it and removed as applicable.

We've been told that there's a feature causing it to appear far too often, although its addition into the esc menu raises questions about that statement. If it's going to be in peoples face as much as it currently is they should be making use of it as I'd assume its intended to, by keeping players up to date with current things in game.
  • ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    Like or loathe it. They spent time and money on creating it and therefore its here to stay. Our feedback means squat, if they cared it wouldn't have been released in this condition. Any changes made to it will take however long they want and what changes they want.

Q, How long did it take them to get the New Queue UI near the functionality of the old one ?
    A. A long bloody time.

This will be no different.
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
  • arsenictouch#6236 arsenictouch Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Didn't bother me at first, but after switching characters back and forth, combined with the timeline pop up, I find myself wanting to punch my screen,

Need to make it optional or get rid of it all together. If you're going to have a splash screen like that, it needs to be in the corner of the screen when you're picking a character to log into, not every time you hit escape or when you log in.
    Arsenic_touch.gif
    Is it better to out-monster the monster or to be quietly devoured?
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    "Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail, and they never get to try again."
  • tarkil42#1357 tarkil42 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    I'm glad it will only appear on first log in after tomorrow's patch, but I don't like that it still appears on pressing esc. Could you at least make it so the option/logout/HUD/etc. buttons are in the center of the window, not on the edge?
  • solidshark214solidshark214 Member Posts: 341 Arc User
    I'm glad it will only appear on first log in after tomorrow's patch, but I don't like that it still appears on pressing esc. Could you at least make it so the option/logout/HUD/etc. buttons are in the center of the window, not on the edge?

Yes. This. When I want to get to the menu, I want to get to the bloody menu, not look at some splash of info I can more comfortably get elsewhere. I suppose I can almost understand the logic behind having the landing page in the first place--though I strongly disagree with it--but shoving the actual menu off to the side is baffling and highly irritating.

You can tell me it's a "minor" change all you want. That doesn't alter the fact that it's annoyance that by all rights should never even have occurred. Boggles my mind that "if it ain't broke don't fix it" seems to have been completely ignored here,

And don't tell me "people miss stuff!" If players don't even bother to check the news page on a regular basis, that's their problem. It's not like it's some super-secret website.
  • ussprometheus79ussprometheus79 Member Posts: 727 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    Well they kinda listened about the problems and only sorted a bit. Still it's better than nothing.
    If you've come to the forums to complain about the AFK system, it's known to be bugged at the moment.
  • ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    Well they kinda listened about the problems and only sorted a bit. Still it's better than nothing.

They actually sorted nothing regarding player feedback all they did was fix a supposed bug which was causing the landing page to appear on each login instead of once per day.

Until they remove the landing page being bound to the ESC key or Options menu players with multiple characters on an account to manage are still going to see this landing page each time they switch characters as its bound to that function. As will everyone who uses ESC or options to exit the game.

Page is a total waste of time. The game launcher gives more up to date info, as does the hail menu. The ONLY thing neither of these currently do I believe is link you into the C-Store
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
  • vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    edited May 2018

They actually sorted nothing regarding player feedback all they did was fix a supposed bug which was causing the landing page to appear on each login instead of once per day.

Until they remove the landing page being bound to the ESC key or Options menu players with multiple characters on an account to manage are still going to see this landing page each time they switch characters as its bound to that function. As will everyone who uses ESC or options to exit the game.

Page is a total waste of time. The game launcher gives more up to date info, as does the hail menu. The ONLY thing neither of these currently do I believe is link you into the C-Store

+1 Amen. Get it off the Options Menu/ESC Menu - please!
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,782 Arc User
    The latest change is not much of an improvement.

Ok, we don't see it on each character upon logging in anymore. But we still see it whenever we change characters.

What exactly was wrong with the old menu that you guys thought an unnecessarily big landing page was needed when it does not contain any extra information beyond what can be found on the launcher, Arc and this forum?

I seriously don't see the added value of this landing page thing. I haven't even paid attention to the things it advertises, not a single time (until now, and that's just because I'm writing feedback on it now). It's just an annoyance that I try to skip as fast as possible because it's not what I want to see when changing characters - all I need is that simple 'change character' button which has been working perfectly for years.

I'm only looking at it now because I want to clearly state what's wrong with it. Some of the art looks nice (again, first time I'm actually paying attention to that), but the old text menu was good enough.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.