What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[PC] The Return of the Delta Recruits

Comments

• Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    jamesdtrel wrote: »
    I joined on release day back in 2012 but RL got in the way. I just started playing again and my level 7 character from back then is now only 10. I have never had a capped character. What's the chance it can apply to a character on an account that has never had a capped character? It'd go a long way to convincing me to stay and even sub ;)

none... but your only L10. delete and start over or just make a new character if have room... then your current characters can claim the account rewards.
  • Options
    asdfjkadfjkasfasdfjkadfjkasf Member Posts: 345 Media Corps
    I think I completed everything on my Federation Delta Recruit, and have a Klingon one I made all the way back when it came out, then never got around to doing it on that one...
  • Options
    captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    Randomize is not working for Romulan Liberated Borg name. Works OK for ship name.

Same problem for Klingon and Star Fleet Liberated Borgs. Also, had a problem with Randomizer for Fed. Klingon character name.
  • Options
    bmcd73bmcd73 Member Posts: 263 Arc User
    Yay! I have been playing since release on the PC and recently switched to the Xbox. These events are the one thing that I really miss on the new platform so I am super excited about it! STO is one of the best MMOs going so keep up the good work!
  • Options
    bmcd73bmcd73 Member Posts: 263 Arc User
    jamesdtrel wrote: »
    I joined on release day back in 2012 but RL got in the way. I just started playing again and my level 7 character from back then is now only 10. I have never had a capped character. What's the chance it can apply to a character on an account that has never had a capped character? It'd go a long way to convincing me to stay and even sub ;)

There is no chance of it. If I were you, I would either delete the toon and start over or just create new. You can literally get a toon to 7-10 in an hour or 2. The account wide unlocks are definitely worth it.
  • Options
    fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,265 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    Deleted post
    Post edited by fred26291#2759 on
  • Options
    mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    I just wish that we could apply this to an existing character. Same thing when/if they rerun the Temporal Recruit event*.

I have a Romulan and Klingon Delta Recruit sitting around largely ignored since the event originally appeared, so I suppose that I will dust them off and get some free dilithium.

I just wish that there was a way to let my older Captain go through "Delta Recruit Training" so that I could enjoy the little extras with them.

I'm not even talking about unlocking the account-wide benefits. Just let my existing Captains* enjoy the same little extras that the characters created as Delta Recruits have. That same little extra bit of story, the hidden mission objectives, the titles, and so on.

I can make a new Delta recruit to get the account unlocks, or In my case I already have, I just want my existing Captain(s), my favorite Captain(s), the one(s) that I have spent so much time and some $$ on, to get the same little extras is all.

If they really want people to make those investments of time and $$ again and again then new races and factions are the way.

I am sure that some people will want a Cardassian Captain, and that may become their main.
    I am likewise sure that plenty of people will pay for at least the "cheap" pack in order to unlock Jem'Hadar and to see what their story holds, and for some people that Captain may become their main.

A character that they already have had access to, that is limited to mostly the same things that they have had access to already (and for those of us that were here the first time, there is nothing new), that at least some people feel they "have to play" in order to get the benefits, even though they would rather be playing the Captain that they have been spending the majority of their time with?

It's good to help new players "catch up", but for me? It feels like "here's some new things that you can't have on your favorite Captain because you were here too soon".

* Limited to whatever the original limitations were; There are storyline reasons for why a "modern" Captain wouldn't be a Temporal recruit or why a Temporal Recruit may not have also become a Delta Recruit... I am not saying that every Captain should have full access to everything, just that none of them should be locked out of the appropriate "event extras" because of when they were created.

• Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    Apart from cosmetic issues like the Delta next to the name, maybe some accolades or titles, there is no benefit a recruit has over your main toon, so by them not being delta they aren't really missing out as long as you played at least one recruit to get all the nice unlocks.

Add to that that it wouldn't make even the remotest sense storywise to restart an established captain/admiral as a delta, that they would need to replay almost each mission anyways to get the beacons (I think they were called) - although I think it was only to before the Solanae arc, we got the tesseract to ourselves in the preserver library at the end of the Breen arc, which now of course antecedes the Borg one - and that the issue of getting tons of rewards automatically (by already being level 15 in R&D as an example), and it really makes sense (apart from the apparent problems in coding) to not allow old captains to become Delta.

And, as has been said, this is an event for new toons, not for old ones. I totally get that you don't want to redo all the tedious stuff like reputation or R&D on a new toon (the latter taking way over a year on regular log ins if you really want to go all the way to 20 everywhere), neither do I. But, well, that's our decision to make. Not everything in game can be "all rewards to me for doing nothing anymore". Otherwise our level 200 all-reps-filled all-missions-played guy would just sit around collecting stuff.

Reasons to make more than 1 toon (for the sometimes quite substantial account unlock boosts):

- the extra unlocks for the introductory arcs, which I agree with everybody so far are mostly negligible, not worth it unless you are a completionist or
    - you want to start a new toon anyways. Even if you already unlocked everything last time, there will be a significant boost if compared to a "regular new toon". I would argue though that it isn't enough if you're not that sure, then again, you just have to play until you get the tesseract and can wait forever if you some day feel like doing it.

Personally I would like a new set of toons to go with all the accumulated ships, but yeah, job and life and everything, plus my last Deltas haven't even finished all missions yet, so I'll probably skip. Although I did 3 AoY toons on the last day, too, so knowing myself I won't take any bets. Also I've exhausted all Romulan race options, so a repeat would be unavoidable.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    sovereign010sovereign010 Member Posts: 636 Arc User
    As someone who already has a Delta Recruit character (Fed-aligned Rom) from first time around, I was looking at at what would be claimable if I did whip up a Klingon Empire DR and a pure Federation one, bearing in mind the rewards would be claimable on all other non-DR characters.

If you have one DR toon then it's very much a case of diminishing returns as creating 2 more toons yields an additional 1,000 FMs and 10,000 dil ore in total for every character on an account, but no unique rewards. YMMV on how much you stand to gain.

If you don't have a Delta Recruit but have a toon slot free, then by all means create one and you'll get the lion's share of the rewards as additional DRs gain nothing save for one-time rewards of dil and fleet marks.
  • Options
    ronanobrienronanobrien Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    (flame/troll post removed) - darkbladejk
    Post edited by darkbladejk on
  • Options
    ronanobrienronanobrien Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    (flame/troll post removed) - keep it classy - darkbladejk
    Post edited by darkbladejk on
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    The problem with this is that the mark rewards haven't been updated for the new kinds of marks since after Delta Rising and up until now.
  • Options
    anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    leemwatson wrote: »
    Completing Episodes awards Marks, EC and Dil PER ARC, plus Temporal Insight Trait when half the Arcs done. Improved when all completed (Upto and including Iconian Arc)

Only up through the Borg arc in the order they are in now, no New Romulus or Solanae Sphere or anything beyond for Delta Recruits. It was originally designed to be complete with the Breen arc, but they have flipped the order of that and the Borg arc since the first time around.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • Options
    flesson616flesson616 Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    <<<bring back temp agent event also>>>>
  • Options
    stormstryke2stormstryke2 Member Posts: 252 Arc User
    flesson616 wrote: »
    <<<bring back temp agent event also>>>>

They might. This ends in mid-May. Victory comes sometime in June. So they might do AoY again after this.

• Options
    starfallarmadastarfallarmada Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    OK, for all the complaints I've seen i feel like no one has mentioned the most obvious problem here....WHY the hell are we not making Gamma recruits?!! The delta arc is ancient history at this point. If you made new gamma recruits you could give newer players that same leg up, but older players something newish to chew on. It wouldn't even be that hard. Take the existing delta clues and extra dialogue and change it to pertain to the new fight against the new big bad. This way older players can make something new and are encouraged to play through for this new reward and new story clues, your new players get to benefit still, and you highlight your brand new expansion and all the TRIBBLE you want to sell from it. This unaltered recycling of content is not just lazy, its bad business!
  • Options
    stormstryke2stormstryke2 Member Posts: 252 Arc User
    I know it would have required work but would have been nice to be able to make a TOS era Delta Recruit with this which had all-new rewards. So the people who did the DR before and maxed out all the benefits would had something new this time.
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    So the devs bring back something that some people missed for reasons and other people have to complain about it because they already did it and got the goodies.

Okay.

No complaints here, I got to start one on my F2P acct and already have the goodies on my other acct.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    Because these people are jumping to conclusions assuming that this means they won't do a new kind of recruit event for the next expansion.
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    While I have no plans to create a new DR, I will be taking my original DR back through all of the DR missions. It'll be fun to get caps of Fleets of Light Cruiser in orbit of Vulcan and at K-7 or Drozana. I can hide among them in my Reliant Advanced Light Cruiser. :smiley:
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • Options
    vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    I'm really glad that they're NOT doing a new recruit event! I don't need a new ALT, and I can use the time to play the parts of the game I like instead of just eternally grinding for a change! ;)
  • Options
    anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    OK, for all the complaints I've seen i feel like no one has mentioned the most obvious problem here....WHY the hell are we not making Gamma recruits?!! The delta arc is ancient history at this point. If you made new gamma recruits you could give newer players that same leg up, but older players something newish to chew on. It wouldn't even be that hard. Take the existing delta clues and extra dialogue and change it to pertain to the new fight against the new big bad. This way older players can make something new and are encouraged to play through for this new reward and new story clues, your new players get to benefit still, and you highlight your brand new expansion and all the **** you want to sell from it. This unaltered recycling of content is not just lazy, its bad business!

Probably because the stuff that they want to sell for the expansion won't be in the game until the expansion is live. That is when you will likely see a Gamma Recruitment event. Right now they would be highlighting old lockbox and Lobi store ships with a Gamma Recruitment event.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • Options
    xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    Again, one of the most common comments (after "playable Cardassian faction") in the forums has always been "please bring back some goodies I missed due to not being here back then/not having the time during that period". And others getting something you already have is no disrespect to you. I would suggest a portion of vorwoda:
    vorwoda wrote: »
    use the time to play the parts of the game (you) like instead of just eternally grinding for a change! ;)

My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • Options
    ricosakararicosakara Member Posts: 422 Arc User
    I'll wait until Agents of Yesterday Event returns. Already did a Delta Recruit the first time.
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    The moment that you realize: you are just walking the route without reading the objectives on the screen because you done the tutorial so many times in the past 3-4 days.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    jamiek81jamiek81 Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    I think they should leave the event on at all times, the same applies to the Agents of Tomorrow, i mean you can choose to opt out of the delta one by skipping the tutorial and if you want to do the Agents one, you just start a 23c captain.....never understand the need to stop it.
  • Options
    terranempire#7881 terranempire Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    jamiek81 wrote: »
    I think they should leave the event on at all times, the same applies to the Agents of Tomorrow, i mean you can choose to opt out of the delta one by skipping the tutorial and if you want to do the Agents one, you just start a 23c captain.....never understand the need to stop it.

It wouldn't be a 'event' if it ran all the time.​​
    tumblr_p30rz12vWH1qdb2vqo6_r1_540.gif
    "Great men are not peacemakers, Great men are conquerors!" - Captain Archer"
    "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
    #Support Mirror Universe I.S.S. Prefixes
  • Options
    duaths1duaths1 Member Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    Yeah, already finished a fed-rom the last time, didn't happen to be my main.
    Have started a new toon just a month ago, so this is not a pleasant surprise.

Anyway, created a new KDF toon, and i have to say, i didn't know there is a whole new starting story arc including Rura Penthe, which is actually fascinating!
    So i suppose thanks for that :D
    I will also play a FED Delta recruit to get the total reward together, but will not be enjoying it.

Also, i think there will be a gamma recruitment event in juny. Would make sense!
    So staying ready is adviced!

I would recommend to ANNOUNCE these events at least a month prior, so we can plan a bit ..

Thanks
  • Options
    terranempire#7881 terranempire Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    How far do you need to play the character for it to qualify to become a Delta Recruit? Because there no way I can play all three in time.​​
    tumblr_p30rz12vWH1qdb2vqo6_r1_540.gif
    "Great men are not peacemakers, Great men are conquerors!" - Captain Archer"
    "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
    #Support Mirror Universe I.S.S. Prefixes
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    you just need to acquire the tesseract communicator, which is given to you at the end of each faction's tutorial

after you have it, you can take as long as you want earning the rewards​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.