test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Making Children in the Foundry Costume Creator

As far as I'm aware, the Foundry isn't up at the time I'm writing this. But it should provisionally be up within a few days.

Does anyone have any good suggestions for how to create realistic-looking children in the costume creator. What settings tend to work? (If you need to wait for the Foundry to be up so you can check your missions, I understand.)

Comments

• Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    It's difficult. I've had some luck with a female child character using skin and head types 03 (and some very careful slider work) but had to opt for a Romulan senate robe to hide the body's more adult characteristics. Male: body isn't an issue but the skin/head types happen to happen to have as ready a child look. Teenager is where there's more ready combinations for the male options. And naturally the younger the child the greater the disconnect in assets, so I'd say 10-14 is where writing should be aiming to avoid pushing the costume creator's limitations too far.

Examples: unfortunately none (character was removed from mission prior to its completion.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    haurianthauriant Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    I presume using "Alien" allows for the greatest variety of heights.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    It would.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    One has to be very, very careful how to include children to mission though since I don't think it's explictly forbidden you can assume that anything that would make the age rating of the game go up in included in an official mission is a no-go in foundry mission and IIRC children being directly harmed is an automatic "M-rating".

Also it's not just height that changes compared to adults it's also body portions, young children have shorter limbs and bigger heads compared to their torso then adults. For teenagers (especially older teens) this difference isn't as obvious as with pre-teens though and of course the costume builder is made with adult characters in mind so it's (IIRC) impossible to fully flat chested females or males with softer facial features that children have. so there's a limit as to how young you can go.

I've tried to make softer faced males or flat chested females, not to make children mind you but rather to make females that don't look like humans in make-up.
  • Options
    thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    I've done as young as teenager, but beyond that it gets pretty tricky unless you're being seriously creative with how you hide the characters.
  • Options
    captpfdenniscaptpfdennis Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    I use males for both genders, and exaggerate the size of the head, eyes, and mouth. Since there are longer hairstyles for males, it isn't difficult to pull off. Also, I try not to make them too lean. If the limbs are thicker, it tends to look better. The trick is the combination of humanoid settings you choose. A few settings have 5 o'clock shadow, but there are some very smooth ones as well. I honestly have never had a tough time of it. I definitely can be done, but like spiritborn mentioned, be careful what their role is in the story. I have only used them for background citizenry, or to use in animating like for commercials and skits for PrimetimeUGC. Like anything else in Foundry, it's trial and error to find the look you want.
    25971704528_706d57fcf0_n.jpg