test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 14.5 Foundry Downtime

Just to head off any confusion about the Foundry tab being grayed out or all the missions being missing, the Foundry is going through a planned downtime and republish. This is standard procedure for a new season involving a new code branch.

During such a downtime all missions in the Foundry database will be pulled down and republished automatically. Over the next few days, you should start to see missions start to reappear as the auto-publish works through the database. There is no correlation in the order that missions are republished so remain calm if your mission doesn't show up right away.

Once your mission has been republished, be sure to playtest your mission. Like your overhead luggage, contents may have shifted or new bugs may have cropped up and you need to check that there are no new issues.

Once the republished is complete, Cryptic will reopen the Foundry editor. If your mission doesn't republish automatically, you will then have the opportunity to republish it manually. On rare occasions, a new issue may have cropped that is preventing republish, but in most cases, all you have to do is hit that publish button again.

Finally, Foundry reviews will be turned off for the duration (usually, sometimes they forget.) Once the republish is complete and authors have had a chance to test their missions and the Foundry, Cryptic will re-enable reviews.

Overall, the process can take anywhere from a couple days to a couple weeks depending on if any issues are encountered during the process. In the mean time, just sit back and relax, maybe take a break, write some dialog, or plan out how you're going to set up that epic action scene you hope to put in your finale.

Comments

• buckrogers58buckrogers58 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    But when?
    ... write some dialog, or plan out how you're going to set up that epic action scene you hope to put in your finale.

I've already written all my dialogues and planned all epic scenes, now I want to test them
  • xungnguyenxungnguyen Member Posts: 233 Arc User
    I've planned out my scenes for my mission (STO/Lion King crossover).
    temporal_lapras__royal_flagship__by_lapry101-dbutq96.png

"Simba, you have forgotten me. You have forgotten who you are … you are my son and the one true king." (Mufasa)
    xungnguyen wrote: »
    Want to see that :-D

Thank you. I'm trying to make Scar a ground boss in the final ground map (Pride Rock). How can I create a Devidian with a Caitian costume (Ghost Mufasa)? I'm also using the USS Enterprise-F as a space boss.

"Simba, you have forgotten me. You have forgotten who you are … you are my son and the one true king." (Mufasa)

Thank you. I'm trying to make Scar a ground boss in the final ground map (Pride Rock). How can I create a Devidian with a Caitian costume (Ghost Mufasa)? I'm also using the USS Enterprise-F as a space boss.

hmm maybe you can use the floating animation
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User

hmm maybe you can use the floating animation

You can also have a character using the floating animation whose standing on a small invisible floor panel several feet up, with a portal, smoke, or other active visual effect behind them. How xungnguyen writes the dialog can take it from there. :tongue:

(Just a small caution though: EULA does prevent us from using other IP in a Foundry mission, so make sure all names are appropriately *legally distinct from lion king but parodying lion king never-the-less*. :)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    I've put in some dialogue for Simba and Nala in the editor.

Simba: Nala?
    Simba: Is it really you?
    Nala: You're alive!
    *S/N go to the jungle's outskirts*
    Nala: I thought (player character) as able to help, but you're the only one who can save us from Scar.
    Simba: I can't go back.
    Nala: Why not?
    Simba: Hakuna matata (No worries). Sometimes bad things happen and there's nothing you can do about it.
    Nala: *shocked/disheartened* Simba... *leaves the area*

edited April 2018
    I've put in some dialogue for Simba and Nala in the editor.

Simba: Nala?
    Simba: Is it really you?
    Nala: You're alive!
    *S/N go to the jungle's outskirts*
    Nala: I thought (player character) as able to help, but you're the only one who can save us from Scar.
    Simba: I can't go back.
    Nala: Why not?
    Simba: Hakuna matata (No worries). Sometimes bad things happen and there's nothing you can do about it.
    Nala: *shocked/disheartened* Simba... *leaves the area*

Okay, this may be going a little too far in using names and other copyrighted material from the Lion King. Serious talk time, I really appreciate the humor (seriously, looking forward to your mission) but we do have to be responsible in our use of the Foundry. Here's the End User License Agreement, for a parody mission it's worth reviewing to be sure you're not going to run into trouble.

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1009558/the-foundry-end-user-license-agreement/p1

Specifically:
    You many not make use of any copyrighted or trademarked material of third parties, and only may use the Star Trek Properties as explicitly defined in this agreement, without irrevocable licenses granted specifically for that purpose

You (as someone on the internet) cannot grant Cryptic the license to use copyrighted/trademarked material (see below, for example. It's a Swahili phrase but its use in promotional media can still be restricted) held by the Disney company.
    https://www.trademarkia.com/hakuna-matata-74558335.html

Ultimately your call whether you want to risk your mission to a EULA takedown (would be sad) but you would be on much safer ground if you used legally distinct sound alikes for your parody rather than the copyrighted names themselves (it's the standard parody route anyway. People expect it and it won't interfere with the quality of the mission.)
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    Okay. I have another mission planned out. Beauty and the Werewolf (based on the Beauty and the Beast questline from Kingdom Hearts) takes place after the aforementioned Lion King quest. Your character goes to Beast's castle (Jerome c. Chew's the werewolf while Sapph replaces Belle.) due to a distress call from my main ex-Federation character. Your captain fights Federation ships belonging to Organization 13 and beams into the castle alone. Sapph tells him/her about the Keyblade War in the KHverse. You have to retrieve an enchanted plant from the castle grounds and give it to her since she knows how to reverse its effects. Sapph revives her mate, but a boss named Xaldin (Organization 13) arrives with an army of Heartless. You will have to fight them without scifi gear. This is the final ground battle of said quest.
    Restrictions: No scifi gear on your character on the ground maps. You must use Herald staves and/or swords if you want to blend in. Your character must also wear a fantasy themed costume for the same reason.

• thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    This is looking suspiciously like another long down time. I'm wondering if they are not publishing yet due to the problems they are having with lighting 2? Sigh, stuck with repeating the same old queues and patrols again.

I reached out to AmbassadorKael and he said:
    Just asked. If there are no giant issues we discover, it should be up again (at least play) in the next few days.
  • kaithan1975kaithan1975 Member Posts: 947 Arc User
    It appears that the Foundry (missions anyway) are starting to reappear now, with the exception of the Review ones.
  • marty123#3757 marty123 Member Posts: 670 Arc User
    > @kaithan1975 said:
    > It appears that the Foundry (missions anyway) are starting to reappear now, with the exception of the Review ones.

Hopefully that means it will be back after the Thursday patch
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,258 Arc User
    > @kaithan1975 said:
    > It appears that the Foundry (missions anyway) are starting to reappear now, with the exception of the Review ones.

Hopefully that means it will be back after the Thursday patch
    It could come back even earlier after all there's no need to patch to turn the editor back on.

It's only Sunday today so there's more then enough time even before Thursday.
    edited April 2018
    Per Kael on Ten Forward: definitely up by next week, maybe not in the next couple days (things are busy over there.) Most missions should be up by now, so authors are advised to test and make sure there's no new issues (missing map geo was reported in 14.5 for a Cryptic mission. We don't have the map involved but it's something to watch for in case there's other examples. Also, there were changes and issues to animations, be on the lookout for any irregularities [ex. stretched character models.])