test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New Author, First Mission...

where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
Title : A New Beginning
Author : foreignbureau#1794
Time: 15-25 mins. (Very short since he was testing it out, you know)

My friend is the author of this mission. He is looking for another Foundry author to befriend him to bounce questions off of who has greater understanding of the Foundry program and all its quirks. MENTOR, adviser, counselor....someone who has more experience with this fiddly program.

I did his mission already, there are a few wonky things in it, I have no advice for him. I don't know what else to tell him: besides this looks wrong.

Some issues he has questions about: making consoles player is supposed to interact with glow and another with getting unfriendly NPCs to spawn if the player is already inside a of trigger radius????

REVIEW WINDOW pops up by ACCEPTING his mission (listed above), then immediately DROPPING the mission. Please respond in a review and he can contact you in PM. Because he was forum banned a while ago and this sort of intel just needs to be relayed person to person.

Thanks muchly.....
"Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
Post edited by where2r1 on

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Also, is there anyplace where Authors congregate to discuss the Foundry that is more active than this STO Forum?

Nevermind....

I found the subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/stofoundry/
    I will advise him to check things out over there.

And this place: http://starbaseugc.com/ They are a fleet??? I am not sure. But they do the Podcast "The Foundry Roundtable".

That should have better continuity for him get the info directly from others he talks to. No fumbled explanations or anything from a go between. Since I have no clue what the Foundry program does or how it works.

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    kaithan1975kaithan1975 Member Posts: 947 Arc User
    Re: A New Beginning

There is already a foundry mission with that title.
  • Options
    kaithan1975kaithan1975 Member Posts: 947 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »

So? Now there are two. By different authors. Big deal.
    My friend's mission hasn't made it out of review.

You know the difference between searching for a regular mission and finding one for REVIEW? Right?

I just thought I would point that out as 'your friend' may not want to use a mission name already used. As for finding a mission for review vs a regular mission, well you know it's so confusing, all those buttons, Spotlight Missions, Browse All and Review Content.
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »

So? Now there are two. By different authors. Big deal.
    My friend's mission hasn't made it out of review.

You know the difference between searching for a regular mission and finding one for REVIEW? Right?

I just thought I would point that out as 'your friend' may not want to use a mission name already used. As for finding a mission for review vs a regular mission, well you know it's so confusing, all those buttons, Spotlight Missions, Browse All and Review Content.
    there's no need to be snide and that goes to the both of your.

Whether it's actually is a friend or the person is the author herself (at least I think the person posting mentioned being a lady), is frankly irrelevelant to content of the mission.

While a unique title is always better there's over a thousand foundry missions IIRC there's bound to be 1 or 2 shared titles especially on a rather generic title like "A New Beginnning".

I've yet to play this mission so I won't comment on it until I've played it, but insulting each other doesn't make a good community and it certainly won't make new people join our community.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Maybe I should have made it more clear.

He is not looking for REVIEWS and Stars. This mission is practice...it is what it is. He is looking for problems people have with how the mission elements were placed together. And if combat is too difficult or too easy. If there are improvements that can be made.

He wants to hear from people with experience with CONSTRUCTING a mission in the FOUNDRY who might be able to tell him what is wrong with how this one is designed. And tips on how to make it easier for a player to understand directions and complete the mission.

Getting this sort of information relayed second hand through ME....not good. Things get lost in the transition. I do not understand the Foundry program nor the terms used, nor how to advise him much further than "here read this".

He wants to start a dialog with people who make Foundry missions.

@baddmoonrizin @darkbladejk @starswordc Please close this thread?

• Options
    OK... I edited my original post to be more clear about the intent of what I was asking.

@baddmoonrizin @darkbladejk @starswordc Please close this thread.

• Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    [Mod Hat] Thread closed by request of OP. [/Mod Hat]

I'll have a look for the mission when I get home though. ;) And if he has questions, I suggest he make a forum account here and ask.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
This discussion has been closed.