test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Learning Klingon in 5 Minutes a Day...Now, Our Fleet's Project

where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
edited March 2018 in Klingon Discussion
OK... my Fleet Leader sent me this link today....

https://www.duolingo.com/course/tlh/en/Learn-Klingon-Online

So far, I find I am very bad at this.

And there is no sound...that is not helping.
But we shall just have to see how far I get with this project.

I think I have too many projects going on, right now.
"Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
Post edited by where2r1 on

Comments

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Wow...some of these sounds are really hard to do, that is for sure.
    I am listening to it on You Tube, though.

Duolingo released Klingon as a Beta and does not have audio, yet.
    They have to get enough people to sign up for it. In order for expansion.

But I am doing OK with the reading. :smile:
    How funny they track my progress with XP over there, too.

https://www.duolingo.com/comment/26598348

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    This helps. But...still having problems with some of these sounds. LOL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjROGAY19pU

• Options
    gaalomgaalom Member Posts: 530 Arc User
    Learning klingon, If I were to do that, I would start with Klingon swearing. According to TNG that has some importance in Klingon culture.
  • Options
    DOH.... so busy watching those Victory Is Life live streams....I FORGOT TO DO MY KLINGON PRACTICE on DuoLingo. And I lost my "Daily Streak Award". :(

I have to start it over. Thanks, STO. :::pout:::

• Options
    gaalom wrote: »
    Learning klingon, If I were to do that, I would start with Klingon swearing. According to TNG that has some importance in Klingon culture.

I am not sure the DuoLingo platform allows for that type of "language" studies.

BUT I am sure there are plenty of You Tubers willing to share that sort of thing...somewhere.

I am not sure if it is of importance....as much as being to the point and abrupt. Humans see this as curt or rude...but Klingons do not mince their words. In other words, very direct.

• Options
    Your probably right, it just seemed to me there was more to it, but I could wrong. Question victory is life live streams? Where are you finding those?
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Oh... I found the one live stream on FB...that was the one with Kael and Borticus and Marrone (the ship guy). Though, I had to watch on tape delay. The simulcast it on Twitch, too. You can find it on the "official" STO Twitch Channel...

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/241348181

The other one I watched was from SOB's Casual Corner, I subscribe to this You Tube Channel so I get a notice in my e-mail.

[Stream] Some STO Talk 3/21 | What we know about the Victory is Life expansion!
    SOB's Casual Corner

https://youtu.be/-aBpRljOs2s

• Options
    Also, keep your eyes peeled on Timberwolf Productions on FB and You Tube.

Timberwolf is putting things together for overviews of Victory is Life AND a review of Constable Specializations. Those videos are not out, yet.

Timberwolf Production's You Tube Channel

• Options
    Thank you, I will keep a look out for those.
  • Options
    kettlakettla Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Klingon Teacher Lieven L. Litaer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seZZaWT43lA
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    @kettla Thank you. :)

• Options
    I thought this meme was pretty fitting...

WDcgpKd.png

• Options
    You know what is really weird?

I seem to be better with my Klingon lessons at night.
    IN the mornings and afternoons, I am fumbling through them.

My friend mentioned that studying before sleep, information is better retained.
    But not quite the same thing as being better at it later in the evenings and at night.

• Options
    These books are supposed to be very helpful in learning the language....

The Klingon Dictionary: The Official Guide to Klingon Words and Phrases (Star Trek)
    by Marc Okrand
    Link: http://a.co/8LrFRi0

Klingon for the Galactic Traveler (Star Trek)
    by Marc Okrand
    Link: http://a.co/a2wlV3s

• Options
    Yesterday, I spent the greater part of the day "practicing" my Klingon...well, mostly reading.

Although, part of this was copy-catting the sound in the You Tube video: Learn Klingon the Easy(ish) Way. Link posted above.

I forgot which letter of the Klingon alphabet I was working on when, my cat, Fritz....(a.k.a. Dahar Master D'Fritzi of the I.K.S. Ter'abu).....started meowing his head off at me from his napping location under the bed. Strangest reaction I ever got from him...and mind you, HE is a wild and crazy cat, already. But this was stranger than ever.

Of course, I had to keep repeating this sound.

He kept calling back to me! Running out from under the bed, looking at me quizzically, meowing in response. Eventually, getting in my face.

It is NOT his usual "I-am-mad-because-YOU-are-paying-attention-to-your-computer-more-than-me" howling protest that he does, regularly.

It made me wonder what this sound means in "Cat" Hol. LOL!
    And can I teach my cat to communicate in Klingon? And will he listen to me? Finally?

+++++++++++++++++++

I joined a private group run by the Klingon Language Institute on Facebook, yesterday. I now get funny memes (written in Klingon) and "Klingon Word of the Day" (with audio) and posts of people debating translations of Klingon sentences....which supplements what I am doing on Duo Lingo quite nicely.

I share a meme with you on this Chocolate Bunny Sunday:

fLrlI9u.jpg

Bunny #1: 'oy' Sa'HutwIj
    I had to use a translator. It means: I have a pain in my a**. LOL!

Bunny #2: nuqjatlh
    I know from my Duo Lingo Klingon lessons. It means: What did you say?

• Options
    edited April 2018
    In order to get myself a different take on the Klingon language....I decided to skip the various Klingon language teachers and people posting clips from the Star Trek movies and TV shows tonight.

The first video I watched was one with Marc Okrand speaking on HOW he created the Klingon language. Starting from the names from TOS. He had to use the sounds from their names in his language. And the few lines from Star Trek the Motion Picture.

https://youtu.be/e5Did-eVQDc

Then in the You Tube sidebar listing...I spied a video titled "Klingons and Shakespeare". This video was interviews with actors doing a stage presentation of Hamlet.....in the Klingon language. This video was interesting because it was the Klingon language used with different rhythms, tones and emphasis than what one would normally hear in a Star Trek movie. Plus, getting to hear different voices speaking it. I love the way the actor who plays Horatio speaks his lines.

https://youtu.be/RF0k4qV1I1Y

It was, also, interesting getting the actor's take on learning Klingon and using it for their performances.

@frtoaster

+++++++++++++++++

I don't think my Fleet Leader is doing his Klingon lessons, any more. He does not have as much time as I do to look for alternate resources for the audio portion that is sorely missing from the DuoLingo course.

And I have slowed down my advancement through the lesson ladder because I am finding as more and more words and grammar rules come at me.... I need to do more and more practices to make sure I remember them. LOL!

And I keep getting dinged on my practices because I keep misspelling the Klingon version of names. Well, you can tell the reason the teachers used those particular names, right? They are trying to teach us the alphabet at the same time as the sounds they make. And how some of the Klingon letters are always capitalized and others are not.

B'Elanna = beylana
    Lukara = luqara'
    Grilka = ghIrIlqa'

Duras = DuraS
    Gowron = ghawran
    Martok = martaq
    Kahless = qeylIS
    Worf = wo'rIv <--there is no "F" sound in Klingon.

3Gv8BzD.jpg
    Post edited by where2r1 on

• Options
    edited April 2018
    This was crazy....

I ran into my neighbor, Luke, on my walk this morning.
    As part of the convo with him, I brought up that I was learning Klingon online.

I don't think I ever seen a guy's demeanor turn around so fast....
    He was all animated and smiling and talking talking talking talking...
    The dude was channeling his inner Star Trek fan.

....the linguist guy who made up the language and Klingons....and his favorite Star Trek movie.....something about Klingon torpedoes and....Christopher Plummer and...Enterprise and Kirk was in there somewhere....and....I think he was trying to give me a synopsis of the entire movie in 5 seconds....as he was struggling to remember the title to the movie...he says "The Undiscovered Country"....

Another neighbor was walking by with her new dog so we had to pause...and he had to go to class....I got to go home.

I better be careful who I mention this around.

• Options
    edited April 2018
    My brain is so distracted by stuff on STO, right now...
    I have not been able to concentrate on my Klingon, even as I am doing the lessons. :(

I think I should take a break from advancing on Klingon words...
    maybe just do practices on stuff I already covered.

I have no idea how one would learn a language the most effectively. LOL!

And, OMG...I am sooooo bad at spelling these names in Klingon. :(

B'Elanna = beylana
    Lukara = luqara'
    Grilka = ghIrIlqa'

Duras = DuraS
    Gowron = ghawran
    Martok = martaq
    Kahless = qeylIS
    Worf = wo'rIv <--there is no "F" sound in Klingon.

3Gv8BzD.jpg[/quote]