test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

3D Ship Printing AMA 3/16/18 - 10AM PT

2»

Comments

• captan2er0captan2er0 Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    neoallerka wrote: »
    So, can we get at least SOME indication as to why the prices on these are what they are? I mean, I play Warhammer, and even Forge World, which is notorious for needlessly expensive models, doesn't charge this much. And these are introductory discount prices? What is it? Is it licensing costs? Some kind of stupidly expensive resin? High startup costs?

I did some market research last night after I found the materials used document linked above. FormLabs Form2 resin starts at $149USD/L and goes up from there. Most of the model price, based on my understanding of these resins, is actually majority to cover the cost of the resin used. At $149USD/Liter before shipping and tax, things get expensive very quickly.

https://formlabs.com/store/us/form-2/
    Signature%20Base%203%20copy.png?psid=1
  • neoallerkaneoallerka Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    captan2er0 wrote: »
    So, can we get at least SOME indication as to why the prices on these are what they are? I mean, I play Warhammer, and even Forge World, which is notorious for needlessly expensive models, doesn't charge this much. And these are introductory discount prices? What is it? Is it licensing costs? Some kind of stupidly expensive resin? High startup costs?

I did some market research last night after I found the materials used document linked above. FormLabs Form2 resin starts at $149USD/L and goes up from there. Most of the model price, based on my understanding of these resins, is actually majority to cover the cost of the resin used. At $149USD/Liter before shipping and tax, things get expensive very quickly.

https://formlabs.com/store/us/form-2/
    Ahh, good catch, Z. Thanks.
  • ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
    UPDATE: 11AM - Those were some great questions, thanks guys. We appreciate you hanging out with us this morning, and thanks to the Mixed Dimensions team for joining us!
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    So, can we get at least SOME indication as to why the prices on these are what they are? I mean, I play Warhammer, and even Forge World, which is notorious for needlessly expensive models, doesn't charge this much.

Those (almost certainly) are made via injection molding, not 3D printing, which is a great way of making lots of copies of a single plastic part (see. the economy of scale) but it offers no flexibility. To change designs, you have to retool the machine; a very expensive and labor intensive process (you have to make a new mold) and do to that for a unique one off (ie. your custom ship in STO) would be hideously expensive (ie. ~$5,000 at the low end.)

The magic of 3D printing is that it can do that job for $200 in this case, a phenomenal improvement overall but the economy of scale doesn't work in quite the same way (every job is unique, so having an extended run doesn't divide the cost by orders of magnitude as it does with injection molding. Once you have the mold, you can keep using it.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • jtoney3448jtoney3448 Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    I think the easiest way to do a force field type look, is this. Say you want a blue force field, use clear blue resin with small amount of fine crushed glass. The blue clear resin will act as a color filter, with the fine crushed glass acting as a reflective agent.
  • wilomica0ketwilomica0ket Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Will the Jupiter class ever be available? Also will the Jupiter class ever get some customization options so it doesn't look like TRIBBLE? I play it because it kicks butt, not because it's pretty because it isn't.
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    Yeah... this was worth your time... not... you know... making a halfway decent FE or focusing on the DS9 expansion....

And at that price I'm not touching this system.

Right, cause it's the content designers who were clearly discussing the terms of their cooperation with Mixed Dimensions and definitely spend their time caring about the printer and painting the models instead of designing stuff ingame...

Anyway, thanks to Captain2er0 as well as others for informative answers. I hope this whole endeavour works out for everybody.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • jim625jim625 Member Posts: 907 Arc User
    I would love to get a 3d printed Lukari ship the flying suacer version but I'm a bit worried on the price tag for it
  • rahhmirahhmi Member Posts: 145 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    (Off topic comments moderated out. - BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    rahhmi wrote: »
    (Off topic comments moderated out. - BMR)

Does anything you said even remotely have anything to do with 3D ship printing?!
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • orangenee#2931 orangenee Member Posts: 837 Arc User
    Without trying to get bogged down in another argument with overly sensitive people on the internet this is too rich for my blood.

It'll be worth the price but it's a luxury item I then have to bring over to the UK. Even as primed only it's too expensive to justify.

I'll file it under maybe later, if there is a later.
  • fsutamufsutamu Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Does anyone know the size of the 3D print model?
  • captan2er0captan2er0 Member Posts: 836 Arc User
    > @fsutamu said:
    > Does anyone know the size of the 3D print model?

Largest dimensiom is 12 inches or roughly 30 cm. Rest is scaled from there.
    Signature%20Base%203%20copy.png?psid=1
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    > @ambassadorkael#6946 said:
    > lnblade wrote: »
    >
    > Do you anticipate the Brigid hull being made available for printing at a later date, or is it permanently unavailable?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > We wanted to hold off on ships that use a clear "force field" element because we'd like to see if we can develop a way to faithfully reproduce that on the model. If we're able to, those ships will become available in the future.
    >
    > - Thomas Marrone, Lead Ship Artist - Cryptic

And that explains why the Jupiter is not included.
  • panicswitchedpanicswitched Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    vinny#6447 wrote: »
    Cool, why can't I upload my NX Refit?

Worked fine for me earlier, was messing around with the NX Refit and it uploaded just fine.