test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So what happens to a temporal agent's identity?

2»

Comments

• spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    tyler002 wrote: »
    jonsills wrote: »
    Your AoY toons stubborn Rearguard action at Caleb IV are all that prevented a catastrophic defeat for the Federation. That would be remembered, in Starfleet at least....cadets would study it at the Academy.
    Yep, the heroics of the late Captain Soandso, posthumously promoted for his/her/its actions at the Battle of Caleb IV. Hey, you were named after the famous hero? I guess that's why you went into Starfleet!

It wouldn't hurt if there were a few rumors spreading amongst the background NPC's about your resemblance to a famous figure.

So your file mentions that you're a relative of said famous figure named after them, that's a easy solution, just because our character doesn't normally introduce themselves with a "junior" or a number after their name doesn't change that.

In the Kelvin timeline James Tiberius Kirk was named after his grandfathers (and possibly in prime timeline as well) and in both (IIRC) he had elder brother named after his father. So naming people after relatives has not gone away in Star trek.

I dout anyone in Starfleet would consider the answer "Yeah she was my (great) grand mother, people say I resemble her greatly, I guess that's why my parents named me after her" as odd to the question "you know you look like this famous warhero" (change things accordingly if your AoY character is male).
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    because you weren't BROUGHT to 2410 - you were brought to 2409, before all the time travel stuff started becoming commonplace​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    Presumably they alter your original records and create a new history for you, otherwise they would figure it out the first time the medics scanned you.
    Yeah, that's another problem with the scenario: you don't even need fancy medical equipment to detect it. Temporal displacement can be detected with a basic handheld tricorder, per multiple time travel-related episodes (e.g. "Eye of the Needle").
    jonsills wrote: »
    Some folks obviously like skipping all the talky bits.

Daniels states that his people have created a new identity for you and inserted it into the Federation database. That's part of why he's giving you the accelerated course, rather than Starfleet just getting you up to date. As far as Quinn's concerned when you report in, you're just another in an endless series of junior officers getting the usual pep talk from the Old Man before taking your first command out. And really, why would anyone try picking apart your history? It's not like your file indicates you were all that special before you showed up at ESD. And in a galaxy with trillions of sophonts and files reaching back for 300 years, even if someone for some reason ran a DNA match against a historical database it would only be weird if there weren't at least a few matches out of sheer coincidence.

Yet another count of Article 92, Failure to Obey Order or Regulation (namely the Temporal Prime Directive), for Daniels, then. Is it any wonder the anomalies are increasing when the timecops themselves are repeatedly tampering with the timeline whenever they find it convenient, but the minute it might jeopardize their predetermined future outcome, they're all "oh noes, we have to save time"?

Better solution to the whole mess:
    "Hi, Admiral Quinn my name is Captain John Smith. I was commissioned as an officer in Starfleet on X Stardate in the 23rd century. I was kidnapped from the bridge of my ship during the Battle of Caleb IV by a man claiming to be a Starfleet officer who wants to force me to be a mole in the Starfleet of your time period. I'm requesting political asylum."
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    starswordc wrote: »
    Better solution to the whole mess:
    "Hi, Admiral Quinn my name is Captain John Smith. I was commissioned as an officer in Starfleet on X Stardate in the 23rd century. I was kidnapped from the bridge of my ship during the Battle of Caleb IV by a man claiming to be a Starfleet officer who wants to force me to be a mole in the Starfleet of your time period. I'm requesting political asylum."

Only to be dragged away by men in white coats because you're clearly too short to be the real John Smith.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,015 Community Moderator
    Meh... I figure eventually the truth comes out, you have a quick visit with the TDO, then go back to work.

All off camera of course.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • scifimutantscifimutant Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    Thank you everyone for providing insight on this
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    There's a great book out there that shows how Captain Morgan and his crew ( and Scotty, too ) learned how to fit in in their "new century" after finally being released from that timeloop shown in the ep. Cause and Effect and not smashing into Ent-D.

Ship of the Line (Star Trek: the Next Generation) It quite possible that once you have travel forward in time you get to keep your identity.

That said, and even though we are in a Cryptic game, the story of our AOY Captains is totally up to us. I'll let Stan Lee explain.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4_zFYnnn2Y

The point is, how the story goes is up to the writer, and it the case of your Captain, that's you. So you get to decide what happens between the cut-scenes, missions and events. If you want it to be known that you Captain comes from the past (like Buck Rogers) than just assume it's been said to everyone that your Captain meets.
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    because you weren't BROUGHT to 2410 - you were brought to 2409, before all the time travel stuff started becoming commonplace​​
    Time travel has been commonplace all throughout Star Trek.
    1 episode per 24 season is not 'commonplace'​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    1 episode per 24 season is not 'commonplace'​​
    What 24 season?
    edited March 2018
    some seasons have more than one (especially if it's a 2-parter) others have none, so averaged out it would probably be roughly around one per season

or put it this way...there are close to 750 episodes of star trek currently, and i would be perfectly willing to bet less than 50 involve time travel - it isn't a commonplace thing​​

#LegalizeAwoo

some seasons have more than one (especially if it's a 2-parter) others have none, so averaged out it would probably be roughly around one per season

or put it this way...there are close to 750 episodes of star trek currently, and i would be perfectly willing to bet less than 50 involve time travel - it isn't a commonplace thing​​
    If 50 episodes is not commonplace, then almost nothing is. That's two whole seasons worth of episodes.

I'd say 50 episodes is very commonplace. For comparison, the romulan species has (according to MA) appeared in 51 episodes.