test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The new DS9: what should remain the same and what should change?

Comments

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    The entire station should keep its Cardassian look (both exterior and interior)
    I say leave the exterior alone, but the interior needs to be more in line with the show.

"More in line with the show"

> votes for "more federation like"

pig-17.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,449 Arc User
    Only the interior should be made more Federation-like
    It was not one of my finer moments... Bad day at work and voted on the wrong option
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
    Don't worry. I think I can forgive you. This time. pig-3.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • captainkoltarcaptainkoltar Member Posts: 895 Arc User
    Touch it up to reflect the improvement in tools and skills made over the years.

I'd like to see it kept in line with what we saw on the show. Maybe combine the shipyard and banking area and move it to a different level accessed via turbolift.

I'd like to see all the trade stalls kept, because the promenade traders are pretty important to the DS9 flavour. I wouldn't have a problem with them all selling the same inventory for convenience' sake.
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
    The entire station should become more Federation-like (both its exterior as well as its interior)
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    I hope they make it bigger. With some parts of the habitat and docking rings included.

Yes! I am all for the expansion of the current map as well. Crew quarters, docking areas where I can take a Runabout down to Bajor, cargo bays, etc.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    I don't care
    Whatever it looks like, I can only hope they add some interesting unique activity inside it so it stops being Yet Another Exchange Console Repository.
  • byozuma#0956 byozuma Member Posts: 502 Arc User
    The exterior will likely not be touched. At least, ESD seems to still be ESD on the outside before and after the Iconians had their kegger all over it's facade. As for inside, if it is changed I'd prefer Bajoran sensibilities over Federation, and Cardassian over that. Screen accurate is highly likely, ESD got it's interior facelift specifically because we've never actually had a full section of it shown in film or TV. Parts, but never a full contiguous section. Freedoms were taken as a result. We have seen pretty much the whole of DS9, though. Hard to take liberties with that.
    oldracesbanner.jpg
  • sovereign010sovereign010 Member Posts: 636 Arc User
    While the layout could definitely use improvement, the aesthetics should definitely retain their Cardassian influence. If you're going to make things "more Federation", what you're really asking for is for it to be replaced with an ordinary Starbase. And it wouldn't be Deep Space Nine any more.
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
    The entire station should become more Federation-like (both its exterior as well as its interior)
    Whatever they do, they need to give us some stair points to get to the upper level of the Promenade so we don't have to use the lifts, which seems silly to have to have a transfer just to just to where I can jump down from without a transfer.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    I disagree with many people here. DS9 took severe damage at the end of "Scylla and Charybdis"; if it were a ship, it would have been decommissioned. And the station layout on the series was clearly designed for the original purpose of Occupation Station Terak Nor - to maintain the subjugation of a planetary population, while employing them as slave labor. The "Promenade" wasn't built to house shops, but to channel slaves from their barracks to their workplace, with an upper level where guards could be stationed to shoot troublemakers. Everything done after it was designated Deep Space Station Nine was a kludge, adapting the existing station to fit a completely different need.

Keeping it "screen-accurate" would, in my opinion, be a complete waste of a marvelous opportunity. By all means, let's not make it yet another Federation Starfleet station, identical to ESD. However, I'd like to see a blend of Federation-standard and Bajoran design elements, and a much more reasonable layout (my destination shouldn't always be halfway around the station from where I beamed in - it feels like the old ESD when that happens). Masses need not balance in a complete circle - we have artificial gravity, after all, we're not spinning the station here.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    I don't care
    jonsills wrote: »
    I disagree with many people here. DS9 took severe damage at the end of "Scylla and Charybdis"; if it were a ship, it would have been decommissioned. And the station layout on the series was clearly designed for the original purpose of Occupation Station Terak Nor - to maintain the subjugation of a planetary population, while employing them as slave labor. The "Promenade" wasn't built to house shops, but to channel slaves from their barracks to their workplace, with an upper level where guards could be stationed to shoot troublemakers. Everything done after it was designated Deep Space Station Nine was a kludge, adapting the existing station to fit a completely different need.

Keeping it "screen-accurate" would, in my opinion, be a complete waste of a marvelous opportunity. By all means, let's not make it yet another Federation Starfleet station, identical to ESD. However, I'd like to see a blend of Federation-standard and Bajoran design elements, and a much more reasonable layout (my destination shouldn't always be halfway around the station from where I beamed in - it feels like the old ESD when that happens). Masses need not balance in a complete circle - we have artificial gravity, after all, we're not spinning the station here.
    Sure, in-universe the station would never be rebuilt. It was already obsolete when it was on TV. Realistically, it would be scrapped and replaced with a Starfleet-standard station.

But, this is a licenced game and Cryptic wouldn't just throw away a canon-identifiable property. Like K13, it will be repaired, however unrealistic that is.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,782 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    Whatever it looks like, I can only hope they add some interesting unique activity inside it so it stops being Yet Another Exchange Console Repository.

There's Quark's...

I agree. It would be nice if all stations and other social zones got their unique thing, something that can only be done there.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    latest?cb=20150130143622
    381.gif

I second this whole heartedly.

Just revamp the station to be more screen accurate. Don't build that abomination from the book.
  • darkmatter909#7994 darkmatter909 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    Only the interior should be made more Federation-like
    I have no issues with the outer look of ds9. The interior could you use an update. Maybe leave some of the old and mix in some fed and bajoran styling since its in bajor’s system? Just a thought, this way maybe you avoid some political issues lol.
    It seems like one of those ideas where you are going to itritate one faction or another no matter what you do.
  • kunzone#2565 kunzone Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    The station's original name, Terok Nor, this is a Cardassian station.
    giphy.gif
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    All they really need to do (IMO) is get the whole thing scaled down, so that it dosen't feel like we've all been through a subspace compression anomaly.

Maybe stop having the promenade as a large circle... And PLEASE... make Quarks part of the promenade
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    Other (please explain)
    I voted other. Add an actual medical facility or partition there for the interior, rather than having the guy camping at the bank/mail/exchange area. And bar stools to the bar part of Quark's. Has anyone likewise given an explanation as to why clubwear(which you can purchase from Quark's I believe), is not enabled for the bar?
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,644 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    Other (please explain)
    I always did want to see DS9 revamped to be more akin to what we actually saw in the show. Just to see Tacofangs exemplary work with that. However, much time has passed. After all, most of us got over it when Cryptic moved forward with an Enterprise-F flying around. I agree that it's okay to replace the old mining station, Terok Nor, with something modern.

I recall the difference of opinion when Doug Drexler designed the new DS9 for the Typhon Pact series of novels. Despite the fact that he was inspired by the concept art for Terok Nor that had gone unused. Giving it a Federation-style. As opposed to Cardassian.

latest?cb=20150130143622

While I disliked - due to its asymmetry - the games ESD model from back at launch, I always felt it should be revisited by the current art team. To see what they would come up with for any distant Starbase or outpost. Yes, Bajor is a Federation world these days. So why not spruce up the old ESD model and make it Bajoran inspired exterior with a Federation interior style? With room, of course, for a temple to the Prophets?

earth-spacedock.jpg
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,782 Arc User
    psiameese wrote: »
    I always did want to see DS9 revamped to be more akin to what we actually saw in the show. Just to see Tacofangs exemplary work with that. However, much time has passed. After all, most of us got over it when Cryptic moved forward with an Enterprise-F flying around. I agree that it's okay to replace the old mining station, Terok Nor, with something modern.

I recall the difference of opinion when Doug Drexler designed the new DS9 for the Typhon Pact series of novels. Despite the fact that he was inspired by the concept art for Terok Nor that had gone unused. Giving it a Federation-style. As opposed to Cardassian.

latest?cb=20150130143622

While I disliked - due to its asymmetry - the games ESD model from back at launch, I always felt it should be revisited by the current art team. To see what they would come up with for any distant Starbase or outpost. Yes, Bajor is a Federation world these days. So why not spruce up the old ESD model and make it Bajoran inspired exterior with a Federation interior style? With room, of course, for a temple to the Prophets?

earth-spacedock.jpg

Good post, and I agree. The old ESD would be a nice addition to have, if not at Bajor then somewhere else.

Personally I think that the DS9 II design still honours some of the Cardassian legacy of the station, with the four pylons even though I also think that the overall design isn't that great. (My main problem with that design is that there are almost three times as many pylons and it looks like wasted space. I doubt you can put the inside of such steep and smallish looking pylons to good use.)
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    Only thing I'd want to see changed is perhaps a bigger interior
  • kettlakettla Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    That is still a Cardassian space station.
    giphy.gif
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    They should retain the circular aspect to it, with you being able to run a lap around the station, but it should (somewhat) feel like you've ran a lap around the station. ESD no longer being circular doesn't matter so much because ESD is huge by comparison to DS9.

DS9 will continue (as it should) to look Cardassian in design; that's a drawing element of the station, and a design appearance that anyone who's ever seen an episode of DS9 will be able to relate too. If DS9 was replaced with a Federation Station, then it wouldn't be DS9.

As per the station itself; internal and external highlights, though I guess there's only so much that can be done externally. Internally could utilize some more areas; Vic's, where you can (similarly to ESD, Risa and that other world where the Orion Syndicate operates (I forget it's name)) have a dance off and a few drinks.

A security office where you can purchase Bajoran-specific weaponry, an arboretum (ESD has some nice water features, DS9 could do with something similar), an enlarged Quark's, maybe some mini games (Poker - or something similar to avoid gambling right issues) maybe even a trade post; something similar to the exchange, but a place where you can input something and ask for something else in exchange.

To explain; lets say you own a Boxed Galor, but want a D'Kora, you'd place your Boxed Galor into this trade post, and select D'Kora as the replacement ship - if anyone comes along who has a D'Kora who otherwise wants a Galor, then the trade can be made - you'd get an alert and you'd go back to collect your new ship.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • usskentuckyusskentucky Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    Expand quarks. It’s too tiny.
  • lnbladelnblade Member Posts: 410 Arc User

earth-spacedock.jpg
    I've always thought that the old ESD would be good as a replacement for DS9. IMO it would make sense for Starfleet to build their own station at the mouth of the Wormhole, so that they don't have to keep dealing with the weird Cardassian tech in DS9 that gave O'Brien so much trouble. The original DS9 could then be moved back into orbit of Bajor, to help with planetary defense and serve as a trade hub, or it could remain at the mouth of the Wormhole and become a civilian station, sort of a jumping off point for trade and colonization in the Gamma Quadrant. It could also have a museum of the station's history, starting with it's original function as a slave-labor ore processing station and going up through it's critical strategic role in the Dominion War.
    I like old ESD in a way, but it doesn't look Starfleet in my opinion. But neither particularily "bajoran". It would be a nice model for a alliance station somewhere.
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    what "should" change?
    A pointless poll mostly because all that development finished 3-9 months ago and i wouldn't be surprised if the Cryptic dev team was already on to season 15.5 or season 16 by now and possibly next years summer event.

My opinion wouldn't make any sense, be it for or against since it matters not one jot on the design of DS9 as it has been long completed. True there will be alterations, but i wouldn't expect any moderate or major changes to the new DS9 past the new revamp before hand.
    lnblade wrote: »

earth-spacedock.jpg
    I've always thought that the old ESD would be good as a replacement for DS9. IMO it would make sense for Starfleet to build their own station at the mouth of the Wormhole, so that they don't have to keep dealing with the weird Cardassian tech in DS9 that gave O'Brien so much trouble. The original DS9 could then be moved back into orbit of Bajor, to help with planetary defense and serve as a trade hub, or it could remain at the mouth of the Wormhole and become a civilian station, sort of a jumping off point for trade and colonization in the Gamma Quadrant. It could also have a museum of the station's history, starting with it's original function as a slave-labor ore processing station and going up through it's critical strategic role in the Dominion War.

Perhaps. It has the general ring shape but it needs more Cardassian looking features to make sure it doesn't lose the appeal of what it is so it doesn't come across as completely alien to the trek community (in that it is far removed that it is something else completely), some redesign on the appearance to have some cardassian features would be nice though.

For example:
    - Cuttiing off the lowest part of the station below the orange and yellow base beneath the blue power core.
    - cutting off or redesigning of the crew quarters from that ugly half sphere to rings that also have small dock points for much smaller ships.
    - Adust the lower ring to have more inner thickness and add a few runabout pads.
    - Replacing the blue and red lights for bright dull brown lights and a decided worn grey/orange hull appearance with trinagular looking hull segements.
    - A few small spires on the ring of the station for docking purposes.
    - Two docking points that extend a little beneath the outer supports connecting from the upper ring to the lower ring and add two docking points, one on each support neck about half way down for the same purpose. so larger ships can dock.
    - Several mid sized docking points on the upper ring.

since this bit is hypothetical there is no harm in responding.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • lnbladelnblade Member Posts: 410 Arc User
    edited March 2018
    lnblade wrote: »

earth-spacedock.jpg

Perhaps. It has the general ring shape but it needs more Cardassian looking features to make sure it doesn't lose the appeal of what it is so it doesn't come across as completely alien to the trek community (in that it is far removed that it is something else completely), some redesign on the appearance to have some cardassian features would be nice though.

For example:
    - Cuttiing off the lowest part of the station below the orange and yellow base beneath the blue power core.
    - cutting off or redesigning of the crew quarters from that ugly half sphere to rings that also have small dock points for much smaller ships.
    - Adust the lower ring to have more inner thickness and add a few runabout pads.
    - Replacing the blue and red lights for bright dull brown lights and a decided worn grey/orange hull appearance with trinagular looking hull segements.
    - A few small spires on the ring of the station for docking purposes.
    - Two docking points that extend a little beneath the outer supports connecting from the upper ring to the lower ring and add two docking points, one on each support neck about half way down for the same purpose. so larger ships can dock.
    - Several mid sized docking points on the upper ring.

since this bit is hypothetical there is no harm in responding.
    I can see lopping off the lower third of the old ESD, IMO it doesn't really do much for the station visually. But otherwise, I don't think I'd change it. I don't think that a new station would necessarily have to pay homage to the original Cardassian design, especially if DS9 were kept at the entrance to the Wormhole alongside the new station. Also, the size of the old ESD, since it's so large, lends itself well to being a deep space station at an important strategic location. It looks like it would have more firepower and stronger defenses, so it would act as a better choke point in case something decided to invade through the Wormhole again.