test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Expertise problem

tomquinn123tomquinn123 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
edited March 2018 in The Academy
A few days ago I went to fill a fleet project with Expertise but strangely didn't have enough and since then I've noticed I haven't been getting any Expertise from missions or crit success doff assignments etc etc. When I look at my toons status screen Progress tab it says "Expertise Earned: 100,000,000. Expertise Spent: 99,999,984. Expertise Available: 16." And I can't even donate that sad 16 to any Fleet Projects cos the tabs greyed out. Is there a limit to the amount of Expertise you can earn? Surely not. If there is does that mean I can't train my boffs ever again? Any ideas on what's going on?
Post edited by tomquinn123 on

Comments

• tomquinn123tomquinn123 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    My Expertise is STILL frozen over two months later. I've lost count of the emails I've swapped with the gm's. I've got no help there.
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    Oh, my. I was prognosticating about this particular form of DOOOOOM some time ago about how XP worked, where you had an "Earned" numeric that you subtracted a "Spent" numeric from, and that at some point the Earned numeric would cap out and this would happen. I similarly calculated that it would cap out at 100M, which you just confirmed, and that SOONER or later, this was gonna happen to somebody: Their character would be rendered an unplayable brick if they dumped all of it into a fleet project as they would be unable to train boffs, ever again.

So, congratulations: You're the first one to successfully break it as I predicted on NoP PS like a year ago. This isn't the only ticking time bomb I know of in the game's structure, but it's the one that somebody was likely to actually hit without trying too hard, since the most recent fleet holding gobbles down XP.

But yeah, you're screwed. You've basically bricked your character now. Unless they radically change how XP works, there isn't a clear fix. GMs cannot fix this for you because it's a fundamentally broken aspect of the code.

Maybe, I'm just not understanding the problem correctly, but wouldn't the simple, dumb fix be to increase the caps on Expertise Earned and Expertise Spent? Of course, that's just a temporary fix. The permanent fix would be to store Expertise Available in a single variable and get rid of Expertise Earned and Expertise Spent (who cares about those anyway). Every other numeric works that way: EC, dilithium, GPL, reputation marks, fleet marks, fleet credits, salvage. Why is expertise different?

Anyway, this bug sounds pretty bad.

@engineerb4#4806,

You should probably take a look at this one.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • somerandomguy#1510 somerandomguy Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Probably belongs in a bug reports section of forum instead of the academy.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    Bug report. A manual fix would be to subtract 99,000,000 from both earned and spent in the table row for the character.
  • engineerb4#4806 engineerb4 Member Posts: 211 Cryptic Developer
    Thank you for the report.
    STO Software Engineer
    I build things. Things that make us go.
    edited April 2018
    The toon I'm having this problem with is Simon@tomquinn123

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    ..and btw this frozen Expertise bug is affecting all my toons account wide.