test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What Do You Think? The Discovery Lock Box

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,673 Community Manager
Place all your thoughts and feedback on the Discovery Lock Box right here!

Comments

• pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,164 Arc User
    Ship traits are nice but its it’s disappointing yet again the lockbox weapons are energy weapons only. No mines or other projectiles.
  • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    My friend is a huge fan of Discovery and went ahead and opened 50 lockboxes. There was the understanding that the odds of the "big prizes" is really low, but there is other stuff in it. Problem is, most of that other stuff is garbage.

Most of the contents were R&D packs. Some of those have value that you can sell on the exchange, but with the impending "slotto upgrade system", the market has declined on most of them. Then there were the Commendation XP boosts and the Research XP boosts. They have not done anything with the DOFF system in years. What value does CXP have? They have not added any new research schools in some time either, which devalues the Research XP boosts. Also, nice to get a SINGLE "salvage tech" (the item you get FOR FREE for completing an Elite queue). Finally, there is the new "mini tech". You get ONE single use item that is a watered-down version some some T5 clicky console. It reminds me of some game I heard (World of Tanks, maybe?) that you could buy a round of ammunition for actual cash. 125 Zen for a one time use of "ablative armor"? Maybe, possibly, if this game had a healthy PvP population, someone might want a few of these for an edge. For PvE? Not a chance in Grethor.

I get that you don't expect the "uber prize", but they really should examine the consolation stuff. The stuff in the lobi store is character bound (or bind on equip vs account bound) and is priced to "entice" you into opening huge numbers of boxes. 900 lobi for a ship when the average is 5 lobi per box? End of the day, it just does not seem worth it to open lock boxes. I'm not seeing much value here.
  • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    Additionally, anyone else find it irritating that the most common rewards in the box... are also rewards for Advanced/Elite queues?

The R&D box is the same as what you get in Advanced/Elite. The single "salvage tech". The Dilithium vouchers. Add in the low value XP boosts and single use consumables and it really feels underwhelming. Why bother?
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Those are added to stack the deck against actually winning anything worthwhile, bit underhanded when the game spams winners names and @handles so much.

The box contents are becoming less enticing and lobi returns are minimal for the prices being asked on that stuff. Only stuff to have caught my eye was the lukari ship so my dorito ship could have a pringle skin and the cosmetic shield, until I saw it was a random drop from the weapon box.

I have tended to drop 10 keys on a new box but honestly after the past few boxes I'm more inclined to skip this having little to no interest in TRIBBLE.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,754 Arc User
    I guess the traits will be very useful against the new enemy. Increased resistance when you're under attack (and you will be once they get you) and bonuses per enemy killed.

Ships look ok stat-wise, I'm not really interested in them though. Maybe if I didn't have so many ships already, I would be more inclined to get one (please don't take them away from me though lol)

There are just two things that I would prefer to see added:

1. A little description for the insect pets would be nice. I know, it's not the most important thing one could think of but I like such details.
    2. More importantly since space barbie is (part of) end-game: could we get the new space suit as an uniform unlock? 'We' being those who have bought the item of course.

From the pictures I'd say the EV suit looks great, but I know I'm never going to wear one except when I decide to mine once in ... many months I guess.

200 lobi is a bit much for something you won't use that much outside of the asteroid field / something which isn't that great in combat.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    I am disappointed that we can't apply different ship materials to the new ships. At least not for the Walker and the Discovery, it seems.

Lobo and Lockbox ships already hardly have customization options, but being even unable to use the faction materials that bleong to them seems just disappointing.

I can live with the lack of new bridges, since I'll never go there anyway except once, but I'll spend a lot of time looking at the ship, and being able to customize it a bit really makes that more interesting.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    I was so excited to get a Walker.

Then I saw the stats.

I still bought it.

Then, I opened and tested it on Tribble.

I ended up selling it back on Holodeck.

Also:
    The Lobi Store will see the addition of easily the most massive and powerful Intelligence vessel ever offered.
    That's practically false advertising. It's nowhere close to the truth. It's far from the most massive one and it has ONE ENSIGN intel station and no innate intel abilities. The Vengeance is laughing at the selling speech and the Eclipse is not far behind doing the same.

Also, I'd like to know if the team doesn't have the right for the official sounds. Because I already noticed how the sounds effects didn't match the movie ones in the Kelvin items, and now, it's the same thing again.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • jcf28309jcf28309 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    aside from the a fore mention consolation prizes being mostly garbage i just find the entire practice underhanded,you make a ship you know everyone wants and then you hide it behind a gambling paywall so people have to spend more money to get that ship,ill be honest i just spent $60 on 60 boxes trying to get the discovery ship, i didn't, i moslty got dilithium vouchers. T6 new ships usually cost around 60 dollars so why not just put new ships like this on the C-store so people can get what they want? at 5 lobi crystals per box and 900 lobi for a ship its a ludicrous amount of money to spend to buy either a lobi ship or get one from the lock box and you know what i screams of? "milk them for cash!" mentality is what. its bad PR for your business it say you don't care about what your players get for their money but only that you get it. please please change these practices. i for one would have snatched up a $60 crossfeld class ship and been happy,but after blowing $60 on keys for boxes i don't feel like i got my money's worth so the probability is slim ill ever do it again,

so TL;DR let your players buy ships they want from C-store dont hide them in lock boxes and players will feel their money isnt wasted and be more likely to buy again in the future.

edited for grammar and spelling.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Indominus Imaginari.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,754 Arc User
    Oh and I have another suggestion:

The mini-tech thingies represent a nice innovation to make device slots more useful.

Maybe it's an idea to add these to the crafting system?
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • tarran61tarran61 Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    180 boxes, lots of stuff not worth the zen I spent on keys. I did my part for 2018/2019 after buying a 6 of StarTrek Loot Crates and these keys. I had better odds with the EA loot boxes for SWBF2 and we all know how that ended up. One thing I will add, I love the game, I try to support it many ways but I got a few boxes that gave 5 lobi, got one box that gave 15 lobi, the rest gave 4 lobi. Im short on even having the lobi to buy one of the ships. Lower the price or give more lobi per box. The odds are bad......
    Post edited by tarran61 on
    Positive thoughts.
    NeAC.gif
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    jcf28309 wrote: »
    aside from the a fore mention consolation prizes being mostly garbage i just find the entire practice underhanded,you make a ship you know everyone wants and then you hide it behind a gambling paywall so people have to spend more money to get that ship,ill be honest i just spent $60 on 60 boxes trying to get the discovery ship, i didn't, i moslty got dilithium vouchers. T6 new ships usually cost around 60 dollars so why not just put new ships like this on the C-store so people can get what they want? at 5 lobi crystals per box and 900 lobi for a ship its a ludicrous amount of money to spend to buy either a lobi ship or get one from the lock box and you know what i screams of? "milk them for cash!" mentality is what. its bad PR for your business it say you don't care about what your players get for their money but only that you get it. please please change these practices. i for one would have snatched up a $60 crossfeld class ship and been happy,but after blowing $60 on keys for boxes i don't feel like i got my money's worth so the probability is slim ill ever do it again,

so TL;DR let your players buy ships they want from C-store dont hide them in lock boxes and players will feel their money isnt wasted and be more likely to buy again in the future.

edited for grammar and spelling.

I've been saying for quite a while that lobi ships could easily be dropped to 800 for the t6's with lower prices as well for t5's and shuttles.

Lobi was originally sold to folk as a consolation currency to get some nice things but it devolved into another cynical way to coax folk into buying keys for the gamble boxes.

Sadly because it averages 5 lobi per key which means 180 keys or around 180,000 zen for a lobi ship, they'll never alter things to make the setup better or more player friendly.
  • orangenee#2931 orangenee Member Posts: 837 Arc User
    I don't think it would murder the revenue stream to put at least 10 lobi (minimum) in each box. It may even make people more inclined to open some boxes with real money bought keys. 90 boxes on average is still many keys worth of money.
  • quixoticishquixoticish Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    I'm rather disappointed that the Walker and Crossfield both come with generic torpedos. There needs to be a Discovery torpedo, using TOS or Kelvin timeline ones work in a pinch but something bespoke would be wonderful.

We also very much need the body armour from Discovery

9e520a8964f928115a92f5daecd88fd6.jpg
  • darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    I'm rather disappointed that the Walker and Crossfield both come with generic torpedos. There needs to be a Discovery torpedo, using TOS or Kelvin timeline ones work in a pinch but something bespoke would be wonderful.

We also very much need the body armour from Discovery

9e520a8964f928115a92f5daecd88fd6.jpg

In the show itself Discoverys torps have the look and the exact sound of the TOS torpedoes.
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    Also, I hope it's not the case on Holodeck (not gonna take the risk for 3M EC), but be warned:

On Tribble, when you open the Mycelium Ambush console pack for the KDF, you get the Multi-tractor beam console of the Sarcophagus instead.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • orangenee#2931 orangenee Member Posts: 837 Arc User
    Also, I hope it's not the case on Holodeck (not gonna take the risk for 3M EC), but be warned:

On Tribble, when you open the Mycelium Ambush console pack for the KDF, you get the Multi-tractor beam console of the Sarcophagus instead.

Cryptic are aware of it. So hopefully that won't be long for this world.
  • skonnskonn Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    It was disappointing to find that the Mudd costume pack only has one top (the jacket in the promo pics - no jacketless version from his second episode) and boots. That's it.

And yet you still want 200 lobi for it and not 150? Come on, guys.
  • ares523#1432 ares523 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    nothing more than a let down. I mean honestly why not put the damn Discovery ship in the C-Store?
  • irm1963irm1963 Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    nothing more than a let down. I mean honestly why not put the damn Discovery ship in the C-Store?

Same reason the Kelvin ships and T6 Constitution etc aren't in the C-Store I' d think, CBS not letting them make them other than as rare/prestige items.

For the cynics among you: they'd make more money from them in the store, so if they could release them there that they would.
  • coqaunandos117#2576 coqaunandos117 Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    irm1963 wrote: »
    Same reason the Kelvin ships and T6 Constitution etc aren't in the C-Store I' d think, CBS not letting them make them other than as rare/prestige items.

Just one tiny little problem with that logic: the lobi ships. Here is what I mean. Let's pretend that CBS told Cryptic they had to put the Konnie in a lock box because it's from an alternate timeline, and it wouldn't make sense for there to be many in this game's timeline Ok. So the drop rate of the Konnie is very low.

Well, guess what? The Vengeance is ALSO from that same alternate timeline, but much easier to get since there is no "drop rate". All you have to do to get the Vengeance is open boxes until you have enough lobi, then you can buy one. If the whole story about CBS saying something has to be rare were actually true, then the Vengeance would have to be equally as rare as the Konnie since they are both from an alternate timeline. Except...it's not.

So, that blows the whole argument out of the water. 2 ships, both from the same alternate timeline, both equally out of place in this game's timeline, but one is much more common than the other.

Here is another example: the holiday/anniversary ships. For a while Cryptic fed us the story that ships were put in lock boxes if they weren't regular faction ships. For example the Dominion bug ship or the Cardassian ship. They told us that since we were playing Feds and Klingons, and it didn't make sense for Feds and Klingons to be flying Dominion and Cardassian ships, those ships had to be rare and in lock boxes.

But then guess what they did? They made a Breen ship the holiday ship that anybody could get if they just did the dailies. They completely destroyed their own argument about "non faction" ships having to be in lock boxes by giving them away to everyone.

Don't you see how their arguments fall apart when you actually think about them?
    For the cynics among you: they'd make more money from them in the store, so if they could release them there that they would.

I disagree. More and more MMOs are introducing lock boxes, and many of those games don't have a "CBS" approving their content. So the question is, why are lock boxes becoming more popular in the MMO industry? Well, if we accept the basic logic that a business wants to make as much money as possible, the only logical conclusion is that those companies they the will make more money putting those items in boxes than selling them directly in their game store. The increase in lock boxes in MMOs proves their profitability, and disproves your argument that they make less money than regular sales.
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    So, that blows the whole argument out of the water. 2 ships, both from the same alternate timeline, both equally out of place in this game's timeline, but one is much more common than the other.

This conclusion presupposes that CBS places identical value on the rarity of the ships in question, thereby making any claim that CBS may want this or that scarce false. Rather, based on what we can see of how Cryptic is distributing these ships, it's more logical to assume that they place different value on the ships in question - they don't care as much if the Walker or Vengeance get out, but they want their iconic hero ships (K/Connie, Crossfield) rare because those are the stars.

You shouldn't assume malice (in this case, intentionally lying about how/why something is distributed) where there are other, simpler explanations available.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    What admiral fish looking guy?

By the way Crash... there's some gormet food down there. All the fixin's.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • disqord#9557 disqord Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    There's a lot of fantastic and a lot of boring in this box.

Ships are popular and very, very nicely made (1000 points to Gryffindor), new weapons are going to be the meta for sure (Good for them being popular, bad for me because metas are evil demons of anti-fun), ship traits and consoles are at least interesting and dorky looking so they get a pass (Spinny flips into a teleport, then spinny flip teleport back again is exactly the kind of ludicrous, mindless fun that I absolutely adore). The vanity shield is also a slight positive (Barely changes anything on a lot of ships).

On the other hand, the non-CrtD weapons may not be the most popular (*I* still love them though! Delicious hull capacity is my favourite!), the regular traits are at best very situational (How are you supposed to take no damage every 3 seconds in combat?!), and the discovery rifle from the lobi store is actually kinda terribly awful. I mean, the thing is bugged so it fires 0, 1, then 3 shots, and it also doesn't function AT ALL like the announcement post described. Instead of firing faster and faster as a battle went on, it just cycles between different amounts of shots and caps out at THREE before starting all over again!

And then there's the modules. They're....all kinda worthless. The Mini-Mycelium only moves you five feet and doesn't spawn as many mines as a proper mine module. The Choose Your Pain mod is almost okay, it's just that 25% of your damage being dealt to ONE other target is kinda nowhere near as useful as the Miracle Worker mod that does the same thing but as an AoE no matter who you shoot, nor the Tactical class' Cryotronic Modulation/Photonic Overcharge which is again a player buff that deals more damage to anyone you hit. The Para Bellum mod gives you a microscopic cooldown to your modules (And only your modules, cough cough Overcharging and Adrenal Hypo), which stacks up to a meager 20% over the course of 10 seconds. The 20% is good, but the time it takes to get to it pretty much renders all of your other modules cooled down anyway. You have to deal damage to ur target to get the buff, so only the modules you used before Para Bellum will actually cool down (Unless you want to sacrifice 2% for every module you activate). It also has an unbearably long recharge that can't be decreased at all, and most suffers from Choose Your Pain's weakness of needing your specifically chosen enemy to stay alive while you shoot it, and also shuts you down from shooting anything else in the mean time.
  • lopequillopequil Member Posts: 1,226 Arc User
    Green R&D catalysts as lockbox rewards. That says it all.

There’s so little stuff actually in this lockbox I really wouldn’t have minded if they made it fed-only. That might as well have.

Also that lobi ground weapon really is just naff.
    Q9BWcdD.png
  • zeithrizeithri Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    I think it's TRIBBLE.

The Lockboxes in STO is NEVER worth it, and you'd think with the recent Lootbox-controversy that they'd plan ahead to make the ships purchasable normally but NOPE, let's just stuff it all into a f-cking lootbox so we can squeeze every last penny out of you!

That's what I think of it all.
    =~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
    Next Poster below here.