test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] The Discovery Lock Box!

Comments

• alchevsk1992alchevsk1992 Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    irm1963 wrote: »
    We got the Discovery uniforms as a free giveaway, it'd be surprising if they don't rerun it with this box coming out.

Oh they do? I may have missed the free giveaway then. :(
    tumblr_no772wVUH31u41vjso1_r1_1280.png

"Our history, our past, our present and our future is now forever changed. All we can do is preserve what is left and continue onwards. This is not a surrender nor defeat, we will continue the fight. This is our last hope, our last chance... for victory."

Vlasek D. Lasor - 4.19.3580

Star Trek Online: Foundry Storyline Series
  • spacecatz#6038 spacecatz Member Posts: 69 Arc User
    Seriously? A lock box? Is this E.A.?

I get it. It's income. But... considering how barren this game is after adding console, and the stupid high price these things fetch on the exchange, it's not worth it to gamble for the ship, especially when it's only one item per box. SWTOR gives 5-6 items per pack. Put the ships in the C-store. The rest I can see them being in a lock box of some sort.

I did the craft, upgrade, and pray for long enough. I did the duty officer price thing. I am bored with it now. I hit 20 mil and haven't been able to get any higher. These ships are going to go for 300mil+. The economy is busted and only for the rich. Hopefully the reengineer system fixes that to some degree.

I would love to have the ships. But this game isn't worth the cost it would take to attempt to get a ship.

This is as bad, if not worse than E.A. and Battlefront 2. It is pay to win with gambling. You pay real money, for fake money, to buy a key, to open a box with ONE chance at 7 things (not including the variants of each thing) with barely any chance at the bigger things. All lock boxes with ships. Not having a way to get ONLY ships. No way to get any through direct sales.

TL;DR
    They look cool and it's some cool stuff. But it sucks because it's lock box. No. Just no. Players can't have the items they'd like to have and play with if they are stuck behind a gamble wall.
    In case you didn't realize MMO's have ALWAYS had lock boxes, and EA were far from the first to do so in a non-MMO game, Team Fortress 2 had lock boxes well before Battlefront 2.

• foxman00foxman00 Member Posts: 1,481 Arc User
    Found it folks. Twitter entry confirming no new bridges for these ships.

pjxgwS8.jpg
  • shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    Quite a few interesting things in here. Now, some ponderings.

Sooo... if the Crossfield-class is a 'Science Vanguard'... it seems reasonable to expect Engineering and Tactical flavors to show up as well.

We got the Discovery uniforms as a free giveaway, it'd be surprising if they don't rerun it with this box coming out.
    What is surprising is that the Discovery uniforms do not include the components for their tactical variant, as illustrated here:

dscuni-vests-640x591.jpg

I'm also amused at the Walker-class being touted as the 'the most massive and powerful Intelligence vessel ever offered'... the Vengeance and T'laru classes would beg to differ. And here's something I hope we get video of: a Mobius-class triggering Manheim Effect and Black Alert in quick succession.

Mudd's outfit is okay; wonder if includes a coat-less top...
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
    foxman00 wrote: »

Definitely disappointing! Bridges with ships, especially lock box ships, should always be a must. The bridge should be free with the ship it comes with but that bridge could also be sold separately in the C-Store for those who choose not to obtain the ship. The D4x bridge is a good example. For those unwilling to buy one off of the exchange for an insane amount of EC and don't want to gamble on lock boxes. The bridge could have been sold separately in the C-Store as an account wide unlock to make some extra cash along with offering players who have the ship to buy the bridge to use on other characters.
  • autobotgoldbugautobotgoldbug Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    I dislike the show/story but I love the effects and some of the ships.
    eazzie wrote: »
    [
    I agree. Ships should be C Store available.
    The Crossfield should have been in the Lobi store. Walker/Shenzou in the C-Store.
    Its been confirmed on twitter guys, no unique bridges for the Discovery ships. Just need to find the link again
    we are already missing other bridges too ie ST motion picture Khan etc...
    lots of other things for them to add later I guess
    TRIBBLE mirror uniforms, armored uniforms etc
    eh. not a surprise this was coming at some point. Discovery is a **** show. I just hope I don't see a bunch of these things floating around. Sad when JJ-trek starts to look like tru-trek in comparison.
    TRIBBLE is JJTrek IMO they use they same effects etc sure they can claim it isn't but not when it is visually

I do like those phaser & disruptor effects.
  • badgerpants999badgerpants999 Member Posts: 241 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    Wow, Something that I will actively avoid in game. That doesn't happen often, Most things I passively avoid. This I will gladly go out of my way to avoid.
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,644 Arc User
    Well the show may be terrible, but it's technological aesthetic fits in surprisingly well with STO. Especially the Shenzhou IMO.

That's been my opinion since I first saw it. I'm relieved, if I can call it that, that it's Lobi Store. Not directly Lockbox. It means I may get to pick one up eventually.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • irm1963irm1963 Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    What is surprising is that the Discovery uniforms do not include the components for their tactical variant, as illustrated here:

I'm also amused at the Walker-class being touted as the 'the most massive and powerful Intelligence vessel ever offered'... the Vengeance and T'laru classes would beg to differ.

TBF those uniforms don't use the same parts as the normal duty uniforms other than the boots, it's not just a vest and belt. Hope to see them eventually though (plus the pistols pls).

They posted over on Reddit that the Walker description is incorrect, copy error from the Intel Dread.

• irm1963irm1963 Member Posts: 682 Arc User

That's a shame, maybe they simply didn't have the man hours with the expansion coming. In any case, ship bridges fall into the "nice to have" box instead of the "must have" one for me.

• captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    nightken wrote: »
    So the best outfits in the show happens to be Klingon so you guys decide to not even offer it as a Lobi store item? Yet Feds get Discovery fleet uniforms for free. This is bull ****.

no, in this case I think cryptic's neglect for kdf is working for us for once. we don't need that trash... at all. and I'm normally pro anything for kdf.

The Klingons of Discovery went to the same clothing store as the 'Supreme' Guards of Supreme Leader Snoak (sp?) onboard the Supremacy....
    edited January 2018
    staq16 wrote: »
    Wow. First time I've ever wanted multiple ships from a lockbox.... will be worth flying a Crossfield just to annoy the haters ☺

Just remember, you might be in high demand by pizza eaters in the four Quadrants since they'll ask you to slice their pizzas. Also, you may have a bounty placed on you by Pizza the Hut. :worried:
    dragnridr wrote: »
    Hey look.....no Romulan love yet again......Why am I not surprised. Oh, BTW, Discovery is not doing very good. I doubt thise lockbox will fair any better. Plus they are ugly ships.....I'll pass on this round, yet again.

Having watched one of those 'After Trek' aftershows (oy, it's kinda of annoying), they were doing some winking about doing some Romulan stuff later on (considering how much they let continuity down on the show, I can see them decide to have the Romulans revealed as the long-lost cousins of Vulcans that they are before they were supposed to be.

So, until then, it's hard to get Romulan love at this time.
  • darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User

I get it. It's income. But... considering how barren this game is after adding console, and the stupid high price these things fetch on the exchange, it's not worth it to gamble for the ship, especially when it's only one item per box. SWTOR gives 5-6 items per pack. Put the ships in the C-store. The rest I can see them being in a lock box of some sort.

I did the craft, upgrade, and pray for long enough. I did the duty officer price thing. I am bored with it now. I hit 20 mil and haven't been able to get any higher. These ships are going to go for 300mil+. The economy is busted and only for the rich. Hopefully the reengineer system fixes that to some degree.

I would love to have the ships. But this game isn't worth the cost it would take to attempt to get a ship.

This is as bad, if not worse than E.A. and Battlefront 2. It is pay to win with gambling. You pay real money, for fake money, to buy a key, to open a box with ONE chance at 7 things (not including the variants of each thing) with barely any chance at the bigger things. All lock boxes with ships. Not having a way to get ONLY ships. No way to get any through direct sales.

TL;DR
    They look cool and it's some cool stuff. But it sucks because it's lock box. No. Just no. Players can't have the items they'd like to have and play with if they are stuck behind a gamble wall.
    In case you didn't realize MMO's have ALWAYS had lock boxes, and EA were far from the first to do so in a non-MMO game, Team Fortress 2 had lock boxes well before Battlefront 2.

There were no lockboxes in WoW, SWG, Everquest, BF1942, WW2 Online, ...etc.
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • thomaselkinsthomaselkins Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    dragnridr wrote: »
    Hey look.....no Romulan love yet again......Why am I not surprised. Oh, BTW, Discovery is not doing very good. I doubt thise lockbox will fair any better. Plus they are ugly ships.....I'll pass on this round, yet again.

Having watched one of those 'After Trek' aftershows (oy, it's kinda of annoying), they were doing some winking about doing some Romulan stuff later on (considering how much they let continuity down on the show, I can see them decide to have the Romulans revealed as the long-lost cousins of Vulcans that they are before they were supposed to be.

So, until then, it's hard to get Romulan love at this time.

I don't know, seems like they could have let Cryptic make their own original Romulan ship. We never saw any Romulan ships in the Kelvin Timeline, (excluding the Narada), but Cryptic was allowed to make the Kelvin Timeline T'laru Warbird.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,258 Arc User
    darakoss wrote: »

TL;DR

There were no lockboxes in WoW, SWG, Everquest, BF1942, WW2 Online, ...etc.

WoW and IIRC SWG were/are subcription games though and Everquest started as one too IIRC though it's now f2p.
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    "Science Vanguard"?

Is this the new name for Science Destroyers, Star Cruisers, or just another nonsensical buzzword?

As a ship with a lot of hate behind it, I expect it will have very good/inappropriate stats to try to push sales.

Also, RIP Romulans. They really got left out in the cold on this one.
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,386 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    nightken wrote: »
    So the best outfits in the show happens to be Klingon so you guys decide to not even offer it as a Lobi store item? Yet Feds get Discovery fleet uniforms for free. This is bull ****.

no, in this case I think cryptic's neglect for kdf is working for us for once. we don't need that trash... at all. and I'm normally pro anything for kdf.

The Klingons of Discovery went to the same clothing store as the 'Supreme' Guards of Supreme Leader Snoak (sp?) onboard the Supremacy....
    Hey hey! No badmouthing the best characters (with Paige and the stable boy) of TLJ for anything!

And as expected, no bridges. Sad but not expected as I've noticed more and more parts of the game getting the lazy, incomplete treatment. I don't know if it's due to ridiculously short deadlines given by PWE/CBS/whatever but it's starting to clearly show.
    There was the lack of bridge of the NX refit, then the size of the story arcs (and now, the blogs imply this will be the definitive battle against the Tzenkethi), then their quick and sudden conclusion, then there were the rewards of Sompek (reskins of some of the ugliest and lowest-rez weapons), then there is no real improvements or changes for the various events (a winter/summer/anniversary event? Grind the same mission until you get the 1000 or 14 thingies!), etc.
    So yeah, not a good trend.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    I still don't love the Crossfield class. It'll never be on my 'favourite ships' list. Saying that, I don't hate it and I'd imagine the in-game model could look pretty good with certain skins and shield visuals.

Yea, just need to play with visuals, and it can look ok.

Managed to make my AoY Tac's Kelvin Constitution to look pretty decent with TOS skins and 2 tone yellow trim. :)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    I am saddened but not really surprised by the hate shown to TRIBBLE here by so called Star Trek Fans, it was this kind of attitude that helped cancel Enterprise at the end of Season 4. Star Trek is a 50 year old franchise that has adapted and evolved across two centuries. Those of you that wished the show was full of cardboard props and wobbly walls are simply failing to move with the times.

When TNG first aired it was derided and hated by many and yet went on to be arguably the most loved series in ST. Similar reactions by the So called Trek fans for each and every new series being aired. I find this hatred of change a fascinating insight into human behavior, but it is this resistance and cognitive rigidity that can, if widespread, significantly damage or prevent that change from taking place.

I find it fascinating too, that those who demonstrate their hatred of something new have to seek out peer agreement with their assertions, hence the large amount of haters constantly trying to make their views known in many media outlets. Yet, the vast majority of Star Trek fans can see past their own innate short-term thinking and have welcomed TRIBBLE. It clearly has the best visuals of any ST series, not surprising with modern technology, it has a typical and intricate story for Star Trek and it's ratings are good to very good.

Cinemablend state:

In Live+Same day calculations (via TV By The Numbers), the two episodes of the series premiere were watched by 9.6 million people. Furthermore, the episodes scored an impressive 1.9 rating in the key 18-49 age demographic. Those numbers make the maiden voyage of Star Trek: Discovery the most-watched and highest-rated TV event other than football and news on the night of September 24. There's no saying how many of the people who tuned in will follow Discovery to CBS All Access, but the show is definitely off to a good start.

STO has a close relationship with CBS and no doubt they are left in no doubt as to what they are allowed to place into the game at this stage, remember this is the first series that has run concurrently with the game. It is logical to presume that this is not the first lockbox for Discovery, there will likely be continued spin-offs of the show within the game up to the airing of the last season and probably beyond. Romulans are a good example, they are very likely, imo, to appear at some point, but we have been told that they are not going to be in Season 1, it would be extremely silly therefore for a Romulan ship to appear in this lockbox, whether created by Cryptic or not. As soon as they do appear in the show then I would posit that further lockboxes will contain Romulan ships, perhaps only Romulan ships, it's a case of wait and see.

For me, personally, I have grown up with ST, I remember as a 4 year old watching it's first airing on British TV and I was hooked from then on. I too have felt this longing for the ST I remember and some anxiety over any new series, but as I got older I become more tolerant of change and welcome it. Like the JJ films, Star Trek has been injected with new life and a new audience, us older folks have to adapt or die and I'm all for adaptation.

I expect something other than game of thrones in space, sir.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,386 Arc User
    I am saddened but not really surprised by the hate shown to TRIBBLE here by so called Star Trek Fans, it was this kind of attitude that helped cancel Enterprise at the end of Season 4. Star Trek is a 50 year old franchise that has adapted and evolved across two centuries. Those of you that wished the show was full of cardboard props and wobbly walls are simply failing to move with the times.

When TNG first aired it was derided and hated by many and yet went on to be arguably the most loved series in ST. Similar reactions by the So called Trek fans for each and every new series being aired. I find this hatred of change a fascinating insight into human behavior, but it is this resistance and cognitive rigidity that can, if widespread, significantly damage or prevent that change from taking place.

I find it fascinating too, that those who demonstrate their hatred of something new have to seek out peer agreement with their assertions, hence the large amount of haters constantly trying to make their views known in many media outlets. Yet, the vast majority of Star Trek fans can see past their own innate short-term thinking and have welcomed TRIBBLE. It clearly has the best visuals of any ST series, not surprising with modern technology, it has a typical and intricate story for Star Trek and it's ratings are good to very good.

Cinemablend state:

In Live+Same day calculations (via TV By The Numbers), the two episodes of the series premiere were watched by 9.6 million people. Furthermore, the episodes scored an impressive 1.9 rating in the key 18-49 age demographic. Those numbers make the maiden voyage of Star Trek: Discovery the most-watched and highest-rated TV event other than football and news on the night of September 24. There's no saying how many of the people who tuned in will follow Discovery to CBS All Access, but the show is definitely off to a good start.

STO has a close relationship with CBS and no doubt they are left in no doubt as to what they are allowed to place into the game at this stage, remember this is the first series that has run concurrently with the game. It is logical to presume that this is not the first lockbox for Discovery, there will likely be continued spin-offs of the show within the game up to the airing of the last season and probably beyond. Romulans are a good example, they are very likely, imo, to appear at some point, but we have been told that they are not going to be in Season 1, it would be extremely silly therefore for a Romulan ship to appear in this lockbox, whether created by Cryptic or not. As soon as they do appear in the show then I would posit that further lockboxes will contain Romulan ships, perhaps only Romulan ships, it's a case of wait and see.

For me, personally, I have grown up with ST, I remember as a 4 year old watching it's first airing on British TV and I was hooked from then on. I too have felt this longing for the ST I remember and some anxiety over any new series, but as I got older I become more tolerant of change and welcome it. Like the JJ films, Star Trek has been injected with new life and a new audience, us older folks have to adapt or die and I'm all for adaptation.

I expect something other than game of thrones in space, sir.

On my side, I expected something that at least TRIES to respect the canon and aesthetics of the original series while still adapting it to current and expectations of the future. Which DSC doesn't. Even the phaser visual and audio FX are wrong and just looking and sounding like every other rapid-fire bolt beam weapon in every SF show and game.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Any chance you can start releasing these ships instead of fracking us with lockboxes, thanks dudes
  • tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    Now... all we need is the Nimitz-class, Europa... http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/USS_Europa

Eaglemoss%2BStar%2BTrek%2BDiscovery%2BThe%2BOfficial%2BStarships%2BCollection%2BUSS%2BEuropa%2Brendering.jpg
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    This ship please

Eaglemoss%2BStar%2BTrek%2BDiscovery%2BThe%2BOfficial%2BStarships%2BCollection%2B%25233%2BUSS%2BKerala%2Brendering.jpg

latest?cb=20171106170612&path-prefix=en

latest?cb=20171010191333

2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!