test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

When do we get to visit the Galactic barrier and the Great Barrier in STO.

bwleon7bwleon7 Member Posts: 310 Arc User
edited January 2018 in Ten Forward
I would love to visit these locations in the game.

Galactic Barrier surrounds the Milky Way galaxy and was visited by NCC 1701

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Galactic_barrier

Great Barrier surrounds the center of the Milky Way galaxy and was visited by NCC 1701 A

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Great_Barrier

Earth is pretty much in the middle and sits about 25,000 to 28,000 light years from either. However the Barrier is about 7000 light years from the center.

Also fun note: Kirk and his crew traveled to both in their adventures. So somehow they had to have traveled at least 43,000 light years just to get to the two locations plus all the missions they have had along they way surely added quite a few more light years onto their total. They certainly are moving at a much faster speed then Voyager could since it would have needed 75 years to get 70,000 light years.

Dr. Miranda Jones: I understand, Mr. Spock. The glory of creation is in its infinite diversity.
Mr. Spock: And the ways our differences combine, to create meaning and beauty.

-Star Trek: Is There in Truth No Beauty? (1968)

Comments

• Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    what does god need with a starship?
    and why are there modified humans running around controlling everything and everyone with those shiny gray eyes?

better off sticking to the known enemies in the galaxy.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    The Galactic Barrier? Not likely to appear any time soon, as the game is likely staying in the Milky Way.
    The Great Barrier? Not likely to appear any time soon, as Star Trek 5 does not and never will exist.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • Options
    polstarukpolstaruk Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    tyler002 wrote: »
    The Galactic Barrier? Not likely to appear any time soon, as the game is likely staying in the Milky Way.
    The Great Barrier? Not likely to appear any time soon, as Star Trek 5 does not and never will exist.

Not even for a Mk-14 Legendary Marsh Mellon Dispenser?
    Anything that happens, happens. Anything that in happening, causes something else to happen, causes something else to happen. Anything that in happening, causes itself to happen again, happens again.
    It doesn't necessarily do it in chronological order though.
  • Options
    nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    It was visited recently...

Part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCBuaTnDsQs

Part 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdkKNmbaNDk

Those folks over at http://www.startrekcontinues.com/ did a fantastic job.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • Options
    orangenee#2931 orangenee Member Posts: 837 Arc User
    I always wondered why there was a Star Trek VI. I don't recall a V being made at any point ever, must have been in a different timeline where drunk people live....another excuse for having Daniels erased.
  • Options
    bwleon7bwleon7 Member Posts: 310 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    You guys just don't get it. The movie was a work of genius. It was bad on purpose so that you could be in pain while watching it. A pain that would run deep. A pain that could be felt. A pain that you could share.

10_Sybok.jpg

Post edited by bwleon7 on
    Dr. Miranda Jones: I understand, Mr. Spock. The glory of creation is in its infinite diversity.
    Mr. Spock: And the ways our differences combine, to create meaning and beauty.

-Star Trek: Is There in Truth No Beauty? (1968)
  • Options
    gothicsharkgothicshark Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    Kelvin timeline Universe:
    bwleon7 wrote: »
    Also fun note: Kirk and his crew traveled to both in their adventures. So somehow they had to have traveled at least 43,000 light years just to get to the two locations plus all the missions they have had along they way surely added quite a few more light years onto their total. They certainly are moving at a much faster speed then Voyager could since it would have needed 75 years to get 70,000 light years.

These events remind me of the theory that each series takes place in an altered timeline, due to the time travel of the previous shows.

See: https://www.reddit.com/r/startrek/comments/7p0sj8/theory_multiple_timelines/

tl;dr

TOS, TAS timeline 1 - Faster ships, Impulse Drive Faster than Light, History after 1968 is radically differant

TOS Movies - California still exists, they leave tech behind, remove a biologist.

TNG - Subtly changed by TOS Crews time travel. Biggest change, Impulse is sublight, Zefram Cochrane no longer born on Alpha Centauri, Lunar Colonies are founded much later, Los Angeles is not sunk by the 90's.

Enterprise: Better Technology all around other than ship speeds. Huge time war.

Kelvin: Culminate changes to the past lead to better computers, better weapons, lots of holographic displays, and Kirk being born in Space and not Iowa.

And now Disco which has strange mutated Klingons... who knows what Timetravel event caused them all to loose their hair.

• Options
    disqord#9557 disqord Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    The problem with TOS is that it was wildly inconsistent at pretty much every turn. Technology was either able to hear sounds in the future on planets outside our known universe, or they had to spend 2 hours identifying a cup that came from the Enterprise mess hall.

It gets even worse when you compare it to all the other series, save the glorious "GLOWY SPACE FUNGUS WHEEEEEEEE" from TRIBBLE.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    tyler002 wrote: »

Well... we do have access to the Iconian Gates, and apparently there may be some in the Andromeda Galaxy.
    And... if Star Trek V doesn't exist... explain the existance of Nimbus III in game.
    The problem with TOS is that it was wildly inconsistent at pretty much every turn. Technology was either able to hear sounds in the future on planets outside our known universe, or they had to spend 2 hours identifying a cup that came from the Enterprise mess hall.

This is true. TOS was not consistant. Hell... there was apparently an episode where they were able to set SHIP based phasers to stun and stun a whole city block! Back then the tech was as powerful as the Plot demanded. Warp speed was wonky, having a Constitution Class going beyond Warp 10 in a couple instances. It wasn't until TNG that we started getting more consistancy in tech capabilities, not to mention the revamped Warp scale that I believe has been kept ever since.

And for the most part I believe the Warp Scale has been honored in everything since, including Enterprise. Other than Star Trek Into Darkness, it took time to travel places. Took the NX-01 time to travel from Earth to Qo'nos, and that's including the sidetrip to actually recover Klang. Into Darkness... had some wonky travel involved. Didn't take long to reach Klingon space, had long range torps that could apparently hit Qo'nos with pinpoint accuracy from the Federation/Klingon Border, AND... apparently Earth's Gravity caught both the Vengeance and Enterprise in Lunar Orbit.

But... that is beside the point.

Hell... there are things that were brought up in TOS that never came back in later shows, like Dilithium jewelry and the previously mentioned Starship Orbital Stun Blast.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    disqord#9557 disqord Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    Honestly, the less we get from TOS, the better. I liked the show and what it represents, but I don't think TOS should ever be included in any Trek properties unless absolutely necessary.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Took the NX-01 time to travel from Earth to Qo'nos, and that's including the sidetrip to actually recover Klang.
    Five days. That was mentioned specifically in the pilot, as the reason they needed to push NX-01 out of drydock "early".

One wonders why, if the Klingons were a star-traveling species as early as the 1700s on our calendar and Qo'noS was only five days from Earth at warp 5, we hadn't become a satrapy of the Klingon Empire around the time of the American Revolution.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    They went in the opposite direction?
    large.png
    You'd also think the Klingons would be a lot more advanced that Humans by the 22nd Century than just shields, Transporters, and Photon Torpedos. Yet an NX class Starship was more than a match for a BoP.

Also... weren't the Romulans also space faring for quite some time? At least on par with the Vulcans? And a little blue upstart planet with illogical, courageous, sometimes too daring for their own good Humans beat them in a full on war.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    I would not mind seeing them venture towards dealing with the Galactic Barrier, and the Great Barrier in sto, with them even creating a bit of a new interesting story arc. I mean in some works they were created by the Q, yet sto could take it in a different direction if they choose to not fallow that line of thought.
  • Options
    The origins of both barriers is still a mystery in Canon.
    Although it is implied that "God" was a prisoner on that planet in the center of the Galaxy. Now the question is... why is there a barrier around the outside of the Galaxy as well?
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    Although it is implied that "God" was a prisoner on that planet in the center of the Galaxy. Now the question is... why is there a barrier around the outside of the Galaxy as well?

some books said it was an attempt to keep folks like the Borg or the Doomsday machines out. one novel even said the Q did that.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    I know about the Q angle. I got those books. The Borg don't make sense as they are already IN the galaxy, so why make a barrier to keep them out?
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @rattler2 said:
    > The origins of both barriers is still a mystery in Canon.
    > Although it is implied that "God" was a prisoner on that planet in the center of the Galaxy. Now the question is... why is there a barrier around the outside of the Galaxy as well?

"This is not the God of Sha'ka're, nor of any other place." - Spock

Well, it was set up to keep that jerk locked away. http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/The_One
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User

That is true, though in some books the god within the Great Barrier around the center of the milky way was a being that was brought into the universe thru the Guardian of Forever by Q, and the barrier around the galaxy was created to keep another being brought thru it outside the galaxy after being expelled. I found the books that went this route interesting an actually made some sense. It is like with the being the skin of evil that killed Tasha Yar, and was supposedly cast off by a race of titans (I think) as their negative side an imprisoned on the world. I think looking into that character's background an history would have been really interesting too like as a Halloween type episode.
  • Options
    And according to the Q Continuum books, the Galactic Barrier was meant to keep 0 out.
  • Options
    There was only one God in ST5, and it wasn't the thing in the centre of the Galaxy.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    And according to a couple of novels from the '80s, the "Great Barrier" was the energy wavefront of an exploding Seyfert galaxy, a transitory phenomenon that affected only a small portion of the "edge" of our Milky Way.

The center of the galaxy, on the other hand, isn't a place you're going to want to go - it's intensely radioactive, what with the close-packed stars and the supermassive black hole at the core. If there's a barrier there, it was probably erected by some Elder Race or other that wanted to keep any new starfaring species from repeating their mistake.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Maybe exploring the Great Barrier could have some environmental subtext.
    "WE have to investigate why the Galactic Barrier is bleaching..." or something like that?
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    They have to update the Tailor to give us shiny eye options and update Ground powers to let us throw crippling lightning, fling objects and other good stuff beforehand. :)
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    They have to update the Tailor to give us shiny eye options and update Ground powers to let us throw crippling lightning, fling objects and other good stuff beforehand. :)

I can see it now....

mxxFm67.jpg

UNLIMITED POWER!
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter

Roll an alien and set eyes to 'reflective' and pick up the Sompek lightning kit modual.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »

Roll an alien and set eyes to 'reflective' and pick up the Sompek lightning kit modual.​​

and the lukari ground set. with Gravimetric Traps and Mass Gravimetric Detonation Modules.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    jonsills wrote: »
    One wonders why, if the Klingons were a star-traveling species as early as the 1700s on our calendar and Qo'noS was only five days from Earth at warp 5, we hadn't become a satrapy of the Klingon Empire around the time of the American Revolution.
    This makes all three predate even the Borg as spacefaring powers, as even the Borg only showed up in the Delta Quadrant around 900 years previously, sometime in the 1400's
    Guinan claims they've been around for "thousands of centuries", which would mean they were active when the Iconians were wiped out.