test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

use of the ophidian canw

With the mission replays going on what is the use of the Ophidian Cane? I'm told it is quite powerful but not sure how to use it. Thanks

Comments

• silverlobes#2676 silverlobes Member Posts: 1,953 Arc User
    Put it into one of the device slots like you would with a Tribble or shield charge, and then drag the ability onto your tool bar (as you would with a Tribble or shield charge)

That's the easy bit.

I've found (although I'm not sure it is working properly) that my character has to be very close to the target, for the icon to light up to be useable. The character then raises his weapon arm (and the weapon remains visible) and the Devidian energy-draining effect then happens (going from target to character) According to a friend, if activated while within the Triolic Pattern Enhancer, then the graphic is of the snake-form (but I haven't been able to try this yet)

Sorry I can't be of more help, and I hope you have better results with it than I have had :sunglasses:
    "I fight for the Users!" - Tron

"I was here before you, I will be here after you are gone. I am here, regardless of your acknowledgement or acceptance..." - The Truth
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
    I could be mistaken about the cane (and the shard for that matter) but both are more collectors items at this point than anything else. A hold/stun that's a 2 minute clicky vs modern weaponry that ends things quickly. There's a lot of devices you could equip that do a lot more good... kit performance batteries, gambling device, etc.

Speaking of the Triolic Pattern Enhancer, has anybody had it spawn something evil lately? Used to use mine a lot in public areas where it was permitted and got a Klingon Dahar master several times as well as a Devidian and some dead tribbles. Both attack immediately and cause quite the ruckus. Fortunately the STO population is usually heavily armed.
  • sagen#3662 sagen Member Posts: 454 Arc User
    So the cane is a snare or melee drain item. I guess when the Devidians lift you up when fighting. Sounds like a specialty use item rather than a must have combat item. Thanks everyone.
  • tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    In my experience, the cane seems to be almost useless; very low range, does very little (if any) damage & recovers very little health. Little use in a fight, but pretty in your collection.

I haven't tried using it alongside the Triolic Pattern Enhancer, so I don't know if it becomes worth using when they're combined.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    The only real good thing about it is that it's canon, it's just too bad you can't get the outfit from the show to go with it.
  • bellydancer42bellydancer42 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    The cane is a beauty in itself. There is no need for further reason for its existence.
  • disqord#9557 disqord Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    I use it because I like the idea of psionic weaponry, and it's one of the few items that's actually useful for that purpose (One day we'll get a weapon devoted solely to psychic abilities, and it will be great!) Otherwise, it's hardly useful. The Pattern Enhancer's mostly just an FX change, with maybe a 33% increase in damage (0.3->0.4 dps).

As for the Pattern Enhancer itself, I have indeed seen it spawn a bunch of "dead tribbles", though in my experience they were still pulsating and throbbing like some kind of disgusting bug egg more than a tribble. I haven't seen it spawn any Devidians or Klingons, however.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    I generally give the cane to one of my BOFF away team members and they use it . I also give the Shard to another BOFF.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • mneme0mneme0 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    (One day we'll get a weapon devoted solely to psychic abilities, and it will be great!)

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Stone_of_Gol

• sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    I don't have room for the cane but I always give it to a boff. The main use of the cane is to levitate huge bosses.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    mneme0 wrote: »
    (One day we'll get a weapon devoted solely to psychic abilities, and it will be great!)

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Stone_of_Gol
    A pretty useful weapon against most enemies. Presumably, the Borg would be immune by default.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    I give those items to my Away Team. It is funny watching my Boff raise the Cane and levitate one of the T-Rexes in the Voth Battlezone.
    Post edited by ltminns on
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • tfomegatfomega Member Posts: 812 Arc User
    I use it because I like the idea of psionic weaponry, and it's one of the few items that's actually useful for that purpose (One day we'll get a weapon devoted solely to psychic abilities, and it will be great!) Otherwise, it's hardly useful. The Pattern Enhancer's mostly just an FX change, with maybe a 33% increase in damage (0.3->0.4 dps).

As for the Pattern Enhancer itself, I have indeed seen it spawn a bunch of "dead tribbles", though in my experience they were still pulsating and throbbing like some kind of disgusting bug egg more than a tribble. I haven't seen it spawn any Devidians or Klingons, however.

bring on the Vulcan psionic resonator!!!

I AM NOT A FAN OF PWE!!!!
    MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2010
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I don't have room for the cane but I always give it to a boff. The main use of the cane is to levitate huge bosses.
    It sometimes also disables the boss. Which is very handy to give your team a quick break in combat.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    might be fun to get Q to turn you to a davidian and then use the cane
    Spock.jpg

• bossheisenbergbossheisenberg Member Posts: 603 Arc User
    sagen#3662 wrote: »
    With the mission replays going on what is the use of the Ophidian Cane? I'm told it is quite powerful but not sure how to use it. Thanks

It's pretty much a useless vanity item these days. It can be fun to troll your friends with it. As for actual use in combat, anything that stops you from firing in order to use is usually garbage.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    sagen#3662 wrote: »

It's pretty much a useless vanity item these days. It can be fun to troll your friends with it. As for actual use in combat, anything that stops you from firing in order to use is usually garbage.
    It's very important to actually know what the thing can do before using it. 1: it has a short range; 2: it's an AoE; 3: it does shield penetrating damage to enemies; 4: it heals the user; 5: it immobilizes most enemies while in use.

It's actually a really powerful heal if you hit multiple enemies.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg