future-guy.jpg

DTrgFWzW0AEJycm.jpg

Post edited by garaks31 on

[STAR TREK DiSCOVERY] | Theories - Spoiler Zone | 26 votes

Harry Mudd
0%
Philippa Georgiou
53%
hawku001xmustrumridcully0lordsteve1ltminnsvaloreahwildthyme467989neoakiraiithay8472evilmark444bwleon7starswordcthemadrigogssmokebaileyimperialists 14 votes
Burnham's Father
3%
garaks31 1 vote
Hoshi Sato (Clone)
7%
theraven2378richyrich1991 2 votes
Tilly's Mother
0%
Stamets
0%
Other
34%
cptjhunterartan42angrytargcrashdragongawainviiispiritborncaptainwellsmarty123#3757kabutotokugawa 9 votes

Comments

• artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Other
    Emperor Johnathan Archer.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Other
    Yo' momma
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • marty123#3757 marty123 Member Posts: 670 Arc User
    Other
    It annoys me when people suggest women, it’s definitely a man because they say Emperor and not Empress
    Other
    It annoys me when people suggest women, it’s definitely a man because they say Emperor and not Empress

Yeah, because it's completely unheard of for female monarchs to use the masculine stylings of their office.​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    Other
    I'd say kept as a mystery intentionally and as it was stated it's not unheard of for a female to use a masculine version of a title, especially if said person wants to keep their identity a secret.
  • gawainviiigawainviii Member Posts: 328 Arc User
    Other
    Duh! Obviously, its Gary Mitchell. Haven't you seen Of Gods and Men?!? B)
    newstosiggy.png
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    Philippa Georgiou
    Spoiler for episode 11:
    It's Georgiou. She turns up at the end.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    Burnham's Father
    i was hoping for a interesting story. but well hope we will get some nice kung fu action.
    Other
    artan42 wrote: »

Yeah, because it's completely unheard of for female monarchs to use the masculine stylings of their office.

Wooh, I win...

About this, not my guess.​​

#TASforSTO

• thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    Philippa Georgiou
    Why is she using the Emperor title? Isn't Empress the correct title? or in the mirror universe does 'Emperor' Philippa Georgiou identify as a man?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,758 Arc User
    Other
    thay8472 wrote: »
    Why is she using the Emperor title? Isn't Empress the correct title? or in the mirror universe does 'Emperor' Philippa Georgiou identify as a man?

Because several times in history female rules have used male titles and trappings of office. Oddly enough it's never happened the other way around.

Maybe she wants to make it clear she killed her way to the top and not slept her way up there.​​

#TASforSTO

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    Other

Because grammatical gender isn't related to sex or gender of a person. He can be a emperor, so can she. He, she or it can be a scientist. She is a great actor. "Empress", "Actress" or ... uhm... "Scientistess?" pig-2.gif don't actually exist. In German this is even worse since the language has grammatical genders for every word, in English it seems to be directly tied to who is described through the object of the sentence. There's endless debate over which grammatical gender should be used in German which is a really nice debate for talking a oinking lot and ultimately do nothing to resolve actual gender inequality, but I digress...

EDIT: And now it's the other way around. And people say German is difficult...​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    Other
    angrytarg wrote: »

Because grammatical gender isn't related to sex or gender of a person. He can be a emperor, so can she. He, she or it can be a scientist. She is a great actor. "Empress", "Actress" or ... uhm... "Scientistess?" pig-2.gif don't actually exist. In German this is even worse since the language has grammatical genders for every word, in English it seems to be directly tied to whom is described through the object of the sentence. There's endless debate over which grammatical gender should be used in German which is a really nice debate for talking a oinking lot and ultimately do nothing to resolve actual gender inequality, but I digress...

In addition it sometimes works whereby the feminine form of a word is used for the wife of the title holder but if they hold the title in their own right they might use the masculine (or more accurately neutral) from of the title. It's not common but it also happens. A wife of a knight would be Lady Whatever but might style herself as Lord Whatever if she was the knight.​​

#TASforSTO

• mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Philippa Georgiou
    angrytarg wrote: »

Because grammatical gender isn't related to sex or gender of a person. He can be a emperor, so can she. He, she or it can be a scientist. She is a great actor. "Empress", "Actress" or ... uhm... "Scientistess?" pig-2.gif don't actually exist. In German this is even worse since the language has grammatical genders for every word, in English it seems to be directly tied to who is described through the object of the sentence. There's endless debate over which grammatical gender should be used in German which is a really nice debate for talking a oinking lot and ultimately do nothing to resolve actual gender inequality, but I digress...

EDIT: And now it's the other way around. And people say German is difficult...​​
    Like the common German word for girl is not female, but neutral... Because it's actually a diminutive form of a (archaic) word for woman, and diminutives are always neutral.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Philippa Georgiou

She was initially described as a faceless emperor, perhaps the generic emperor title is used to help conceal her identity from potential enemies?
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User
    Philippa Georgiou
    Most like Sato's descendant
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Most like Sato's descendant

Or is Sato. She could have used something similar to what was used on Kes in the Warlord episode. So the body is Philippa Georgiou, but the mind is Sato.

• jrdobbsjr#3264 jrdobbsjr Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    > @artan42 said:
    > thay8472 wrote: »
    >
    > Why is she using the Emperor title? Isn't Empress the correct title? or in the mirror universe does 'Emperor' Philippa Georgiou identify as a man?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Because several times in history female rules have used male titles and trappings of office. Oddly enough it's never happened the other way around.

Actually, it sorta did...if the contemporary histories about him were accurate. In any case, he didn't rule long.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elagabalus
    edited January 2018
    Burnham's Father
    we could still get a twist about the emperor !!

DTl6Hw6W0AAh_4i.jpg
    Philippa Georgiou
    > @smokebailey said:
    > Most like Sato's descendant

Right, because a Japanese woman and a
    Chinese-Malaysian are the exact same thing. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/InterchangeableAsianCultures

For crying out loud, it's the Terran Empire. They have a coup d'etat every other week.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Burnham's Father
    it would be nice to see statues from previous emperors at the palace.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    garaks31 wrote: »
    it would be nice to see statues from previous emperors at the palace.
    Lol, with phaser burn holes in the chests because the current emperor periodically uses them for target practice? :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    Philippa Georgiou
    starswordc wrote: »
    > @smokebailey said:
    > Most like Sato's descendant

Right, because a Japanese woman and a
    Chinese-Malaysian are the exact same thing. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/InterchangeableAsianCultures

For crying out loud, it's the Terran Empire. They have a coup d'etat every other week.

Easily explained, Hoshi's kid could have married someone of Malaysian descent.
    eaY7Xxu.png
    Philippa Georgiou
    > @evilmark444 said:
    > Easily explained, Hoshi's kid could have married someone of Malaysian descent.

Honestly? I don't like requiring new characters to be connected to existing ones (like Patrick, I tend to consider that aspect of Burnham's background a misstep). I honestly prefer The Last Jedi's approach where Rey turns out to have no connection to the Skywalkers whatsoever; likewise I don't WANT Emperor Philippa to have any connection to Empress Sato.

Besides, it fits better with the Terrans' canonical history: their mutiny rate makes the Prime!Klingons look disciplined and it probably contributed heavily to the success of the Cardassian invasion. It also fits well with the connection that is sometimes drawn between the Terrans and the Roman Empire: they had several coup attempts a century, many of them successful.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Philippa Georgiou
    > @evilmark444 said:
    > Easily explained, Hoshi's kid could have married someone of Malaysian descent.

Honestly? I don't like requiring new characters to be connected to existing ones (like Patrick, I tend to consider that aspect of Burnham's background a misstep). I honestly prefer The Last Jedi's approach where Rey turns out to have no connection to the Skywalkers whatsoever; likewise I don't WANT Emperor Philippa to have any connection to Empress Sato.

Besides, it fits better with the Terrans' canonical history: their mutiny rate makes the Prime!Klingons look disciplined and it probably contributed heavily to the success of the Cardassian invasion. It also fits well with the connection that is sometimes drawn between the Terrans and the Roman Empire: they had several coup attempts a century, many of them successful.

Sometimes yes, it's a mistake to link characters like that, and Burnham is a great example of that. However, in this case it makes perfect sense for Georgiou to be linked in that way. Sure, there likely were coup attempts over the years, but with the Defiant in their control how could Hoshi or her heirs possibly lose a firefight until now, when technology has caught up? Mirror Hoshi herself was also too smart to be defeated the way she killed Archer, and she likely would have trained her heirs to be equally cautious. I expect Lorca to be the first and only person to succeed in overthrowing anyone from the Sato dynasty.

When it comes to Star Wars, putting aside how absolutely horrendous that movie was it also makes more sense for Rey to be a Skywalker than a nobody. She had some special link with Anakin's lightsaber, and the main movies have always been first and foremost about Skywalkers. There's also still a chance she could be revealed as a Skywalker in episode 9 (I personally think the 'parents' that left her on Jakku were actually adopted parents).
    eaY7Xxu.png
    Other
    Right, because a Japanese woman and a Chinese-Malaysian are the exact same thing. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/InterchangeableAsianCultures

Prove she's Chinese and not Japanese. The Emperor that is, not the actor. The fact she's Malaysian is irrelevant as the actor is not ethnically Malaysian and I'm sure we all know it's entirely possible to have a different nationality and accent to your parents.

Again you're jumping in with the wrong tropes. this is far more applicable. It's the reason why any Prime character is able to meet their Mirror counterpart in almost the same place they are.

It's odd you're just assuming the Emperor and actor share the same ethnicity for no reason but earlier speculated Lorca was ethnically Southern European despite Issacs being ethnically Eastern European.

And I don't even want Georgio to be related to Sato and I can still see there's not a single barrier to this beyond it not having come up before.​​

#TASforSTO

edited January 2018
    Burnham's Father
    garaks31 wrote: »
    we could still get a twist about the emperor !!

DTl6Hw6W0AAh_4i.jpg

this situation is also suspicious

Don't you bow before your emperor?

DTsCqXDXUAAZMxV.jpg
    Other
    valoreah wrote: »
    artan42 wrote: »
    Prove she's Chinese and not Japanese.

See StarTrek.com.
    Georgiou was born in Malaysia, on Earth. A graduate of Starfleet Academy, she rose to the rank of Captain, becoming one of Starfleet’s most-decorated officers. During a routine inspection of a damaged interstellar positioning relay, her crew on the U.S.S. Shenzhou made contact with the Klingon Empire, leading to the Battle at the Binary Stars and igniting the Klingon–Federation War. During the initial confrontation, Georgiou was killed by the Klingon leader, T’Kuvma, while attempting to capture him on the bridge of the Klingon Sarcophagus ship.
    The fact she's Malaysian is irrelevant as the actor is not ethnically Malaysian...

Actually, Michelle Yeoh was born in Malaysia... which means she is Malaysian.

No, she's Malaysian by nationality, i.e. she's born there. But she's not ethnically Malaysian. Her website says her ancestors are Hokkien i.e. South China. Ethnic Malaysians such as the Cham people are Austronesian. People who moved up from Australasian islands to the south of SE Asia. They look very dissimilar to the Han (the majority ethnic group in China and the world even and the majority ethnicity of the south China region the Hokkien people inhabit). The Yamato (Japans largest ethnic group) are far more similar to Han people than they are Ethnic Malaysians. Like how the French are more similar to Germans than they are to Bulgarians.​​

#TASforSTO