test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

8th Anniversary Update and the 8GB Patch

Comments

• where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    What is going on with this launcher bizzaro-ness???
    It is not acting like any other "pre-patch" I have lived through in the 4 years I been playing this game. :(

It is constantly trying to patch something..and freezes. Launcher just sits on my desktop until I hit the X in the corner. Stupid thing not even trying.

I already did the 8GB patch two days ago. And patched Tribble even before that.

Is this thing trying to run 2 different patches? One for Anniversary and one for Re-engineering?
    It is having an identity crisis.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • orangenee#2931 orangenee Member Posts: 837 Arc User
    Mine showed 8 or so gigs, got to about 5,7 and stopped. Game had a word with the server upon closing the game and it checked out.

However,why a pre-patch in the first place? Can't they just patch patch when it's ready? I do not understand this MMO malarkey too well.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,015 Community Moderator
    Mine showed 8 or so gigs, got to about 5,7 and stopped. Game had a word with the server upon closing the game and it checked out.

However,why a pre-patch in the first place? Can't they just patch patch when it's ready? I do not understand this MMO malarkey too well.

Pre-patching is for MAJOR updates, which for STO means major events, season updates, and expansions. Means we don't have to draw as much from the server when the update goes live as we already have most of the files. Its a means to reduce the demand on the patch server. What would cause less stress on the hardware? Piecing out a pre-patch a week or so before the update or having the ENTIRE game population downloading everything on the same day?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • orangenee#2931 orangenee Member Posts: 837 Arc User
    Ah fair enough. Consider me informed.

• xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    The size of the patch may also depend on whether you chose to "patch on demand" during gameplay or download everything?

Still, 8GB is huge, that isn't just some additional stuff patched in, there seems to have been a major overhaul to some core parts?!
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    The patch on Tribble for Re-engineering was 8GB....hence, wondering if they are trying to do two things at once.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    Could be a combination of the new Re-Engineering and the new FE coming with the Anniversary event.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    So... anyone else getting bogged down on the pre-patch to the point little to no progress is made?
  • disqord#9557 disqord Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    I don't usually have so much trouble with the update downloads, but this pre-patch specifically seems to be causing some issues. I ended up setting my computer to sleep and came back in the morning, and it was finally downloading the patch at a reasonable speed.
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    it was rather slow for me, kinda had to keep an eye on it to keep it moving.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

Pre-patching is for MAJOR updates, which for STO means major events, season updates, and expansions. Means we don't have to draw as much from the server when the update goes live as we already have most of the files. Its a means to reduce the demand on the patch server. What would cause less stress on the hardware? Piecing out a pre-patch a week or so before the update or having the ENTIRE game population downloading everything on the same day?

This. Nobody provisions enough bandwidth or equipment to have the majority of players updating at the same time so pre-patching makes sense. This provisioning even applies to the public telephone system... enough for about 1 in 4 users to call at the same time. If everybody were to all pick up the phone at once you'd be waiting for dial tone or in this case you'd be waiting to game on the release date.

This is a big one though so should be interesting :smile:

• bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    So... anyone else getting bogged down on the pre-patch to the point little to no progress is made?

Sorry Rattler, mine went great. I closed the game, say the patch start, and went to bed. Woke up to it done.​​
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    protoneous wrote: »

This is a big one though so should be interesting :smile:

said the actress to the bishop

• xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    't was kind of slow for me, too, took the better part of 3-4 hours, preventing me from my "second session" (just logged off to catch a snack).

Then again, better now than when the expansion starts, and gazillions of players (well, thousands at least) cannot play all the stuff everybody in the forums is talking about because they're still downloading.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    Do the math. Giveaways until Tuesday the 23rd, Infinity Lockbox until Tuesday the 23rd. Seasons, half-Seasons, and Expansions always premier on Tuesday. The above two end with maintenance on the 23rd. After that on Tuesday the 23rd, Season 14.5 with the new Featured Episode and the Anniversary Event, Reenginering, new Lockbox, fixes, etc.

That is why you are already seeing the pre-patching.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Being a prepatch I tend to close it (to avoid it sucking the life out my connection for no real reason) until they give an actual date for when the patch will go active and then I'll let it do its thing the night before.

In the past I have seen it redo hefty chunks day after day which is mainly why I treat it the way I do.

Not to forget of course that as it's cryptic they'll not have the patch working anywhere close to properly until at least 2-3 days of emergency "scheduled" maintenances after the launch.
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,644 Arc User
    I let my first pre-patch go to around 75% last night. But needed to cancel to shutdown my computer. I note that the pre-patch for today starts from 0%. Not the 75% previously patched. So I cancelled as I needed to get ready for work and don't leave things running if I'm not home.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    It will always start back at 0% but it should skip past most of it up to the 75% you already have.
  • feordilagorgefeordilagorge Member Posts: 247 Arc User
    I thought Thursday mornings were update times but I got home tonight, logged in to do the ice race, then quit, and the launcher started an 8.7GB update.
    Star Citizen: Pay-2-Win?
    i.imgur.com/LGpIGVB.png

FREE HONG KONG! *
    * With purchase of another Hong Kong of equal or greater value.
    And mentioned in other threads...

Pre-Patching for Anniversary Event.

Okay, as long as it's normal, but a bit strange it wouldn't patch before I ran the game.
    i.imgur.com/LGpIGVB.png

FREE HONG KONG! *
    Nope. Its normal for pre-patches to fire up after exiting.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    Rattler is right. Pre-patches launch after you exit your game. It's happened every time we have a new season/event ever since I started playing several years ago.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,309 Community Moderator
    Just gonna merge everyone late to the party into this one.

pIWTn8y.png
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    Nope. Its normal for pre-patches to fire up after exiting.
    Never happened to me before. Been playing since Beta.

i.imgur.com/LGpIGVB.png

FREE HONG KONG! *
    Perhaps they should institute a P2P download option. Other game launchers use it.
    i.imgur.com/LGpIGVB.png

FREE HONG KONG! *
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,644 Arc User
    As I already had a Tribble shard install, I let that update first the other night. Took about an hour. Which was faster than the Holodeck prepatch seemed to be able to do over multiple sessions last week. So when I next left Holodeck the pre-patch copied from my Tribble folder in considerably less time. And now doesn't need to do it again.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • vern1701vern1701 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    I have same issue after coming off a 9 month layoff... WT... Any solutions?
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    vern1701 wrote: »
    I have same issue after coming off a 9 month layoff... WT... Any solutions?

The issue of a big update, or a problem with downloading it?

After 9 months you're going to need a big update for the existing added content, plus the pre-patching for the anniversary.