test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Eaglemoss Discovery Ship Model collection

mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
http://www.eaglemoss.com/en-us/sci-fi-fantasy/star-trek-discovery/
Seems a bit pricey to really get them all as collection, but it's an opportunity to see a bit clearer pictures of the various ship models. The Ship of the Dead isn't part of the collection however. (There are supposed to be 20 ships in the collection, and other than the first, each costs ~45 $)

The Starfleet ships look pretty interesting. I am still not really a fan of the Klingon designs, they just seem a bit... overdesigned? Maybe it is a sign of the current state of the Empire, the different Houses really put a lot of effort in making their ships look exotic/beautiful as a form of visual boast of the greatness of their House?

The Veqlargh Class reminds me however of the D7/Vor'Cha design line.
Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.

Comments

• starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    snip
    Nice video, but I don't really get complaints about it being so large.

If you look at real world naval ships, most modern ships are smaller, and have less crew, then older ones, because the size and crew of older ships was because of a lack of technology. As technology gets better, things SHRINK, not get bigger.

The Discovery's size makes sense when you consider its "age" compared to newer ships, the large space needed for the spore drive, and the rooms used to grow the spores, all the size labs, etc. etc.

Then there are Military Ships like the Death Star or ships like the Enterprise-J. The size of the ship can be psychological warfare or it has a different purpose than regular ships like being a mobile colony or Luxury Cruiser. If an alien race encounters the Death Star and the Sun Crusher with no information on either ship, then they would be terrified of the Death Star due to its size even though the Sun Crusher is the more dangerous opponent.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    I'm so glad to be able to see these ships properly. Just like the KT films, it's not that the ships are bad, it's that they're so damn hard to see. With the camera bouncing up and down like an epileptic rabbit on crack you just can't see anything beyond a vague shape.

Now I can see them I really like the look of the Veqlargh and Qugh classes and all the Federation ones.
    SD0_Veqlargh.jpg
    SD0_Qugh.jpg

The Federation ones all fit the role perfectly of coming after the NX and Kelvin eras and prior to the Miranda and Excelsior era. I still don't care if the single canon onscreen TOS era starship (so excluding freighters) matches them or not. Maybe it's the TOS Conni that's the oddball and not every single other design.

The other Klingon ships look more like the old freighters and so on that they'd paint green and use as background ships to fill up space (examples 1, 2, 3, and 4) Because that's exactly the role they're playing in this show, background ships of no consequence. Only three Klingon ships have been focused on very well, the Ship of the Dead (which has a recognisable silhouette), Kol's Qugh (colour is off but it's shape is fine), and the BoP. The BoP is the only one I can't fathom where they're coming from. It looks more Orion or Romulan to me. Klingon ships never look particularly bird-like, even the eponymous Birds of Prey aren't massivly bird-like compared to the Romulan ones.

I'm still not sold on the hull colour of the Klingon ships though, the grey is okay as the TOS and TMP battlecruisers were shades of grey, but the browns and golds don't work for me.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    Big appreciation for linking this new information. Too expensive, imo, for the models. Been awaiting the official scaling for comparison since the beginning. Now that it is here I'm not too happy nor impressed, but it wasn't my vision & I have enjoyed some of the episodes nonetheless. I just think it dents, if not breaks, some logical natural order of things & continuity of progression, but then again experimental is experimental & allows some leeway. I think some of the Discovery's content is more for aesthetics than practical functioning. Nice links & nice video. I usually enjoy the TrekYards gents. Looking forward to season 2 still with fingers crossed.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I still find the Fed ships to be super random. I don't know, especially the Shran - wtf? The DSC Klingon ships are okay for a random alien race of the week, which DSC antagonists are. Weird quantum-mirror Klingorks.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • k20vteck20vtec Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    The klingon ships are updated for modern audience sensibility designs.

Most of the fed ships just reeks of John Eaves design, not that its bad but... maybe Discovery should consider add another person into th mix and more variation when it comes to design.

Also update: Shenzhou is out, and according to OSC-stat its over four hundred meterr long, placing it near the size of a Excelsior class.

As with everything, its subject to change by DSC show itself, which . Who knows? Maybe in episode 13 they will reveal that the Shenzhou is actually 10000 billion kilometers long.
    Hast thou not gone against sincerity
    Hast thou not felt ashamed of thy words and deeds
    Hast thou not lacked vigor
    Hast thou exerted all possible efforts
    Hast thou not become slothful
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    Kinda like the shenzhou, yeager and europa on closer look. The rest is hideous.

I wished they used the 2016 model with the MUCH shorter engine pods.
    Those are too damned long, it's even longer than Picard's Enterprise, both of them.

And that so-called D7 is NOT a D7, writers/staff be damned.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    And that so-called D7 is NOT a D7, writers/staff be damned.

Correct. It's is in fact a D7 Prison Ship not a D7 Battlecruiser.

Unless you mean you pretend not to hear evidence you just don't like then you're incorrect.

(Because I bet in your head the D7 is the ship from TOS despite only the TMP style ship from VGR was ever called a D7).
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

edited January 2018
    > @artan42 said:
    > smokebailey wrote: »
    >
    > And that so-called D7 is NOT a D7, writers/staff be damned.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Correct. It's is in fact a D7 Prison Ship not a D7 Battlecruiser.
    >
    > Unless you mean you pretend not to hear evidence you just don't like then you're incorrect.
    >
    > (Because I bet in your head the D7 is the ship from TOS despite only the TMP style ship from VGR was ever called a D7).

"Trials and Tribble-ations" canonized the TOS battlecruiser as the D7 class :) Voyager's D7 is a confirmed mistake like a wrong rank insignia.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    angrytarg wrote: »
    > @artan42 said:
    > smokebailey wrote: »
    >
    > And that so-called D7 is NOT a D7, writers/staff be damned.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Correct. It's is in fact a D7 Prison Ship not a D7 Battlecruiser.
    >
    > Unless you mean you pretend not to hear evidence you just don't like then you're incorrect.
    >
    > (Because I bet in your head the D7 is the ship from TOS despite only the TMP style ship from VGR was ever called a D7).

"Trials and Tribble-ations" canonized the TOS battlecruiser as the D7 class :) Voyager's D7 is a confirmed mistake like a wrong rank insignia.

Not a mistake in the episode though. Considering they're probably the same ship. However I'll stand corrected about the TOS ship not being called a D7.

Though there still is absolutely zero issue with the Prison Ship being a D7 as the D numbers mean nothing. The D4 is a helicopter sized BoP, the D5 is a ENT era Battlecruiser, a ENT era tanker, and a TAS era Battlecruiser, the D7 is a DSC era Prison ship, TOS era battlecruiser (thanks 'Trials and Tribble-ations'), and a TMP era onward battlecruiser, and the D12 is a BoP of a size completely unknown.

To me that says Battlecruisers, BsoP, and auxiliary ships all have separate naming lines The D4 BoP is obviously not the predecessor to the D5 Battlecruiser (the ENT one, the TAS one is named through conjecture) so the D7 Prison Ship is a successor to the D5 tanker and not related to the D7 Battlecruiser at all (though the D5 Tanker shares a beam with the D5 Battlecruiser so the skeleton of the D7 PS may be the same as the skeleton of the D7 BC.​​

#TASforSTO

artan42 wrote: »
    Not a mistake in the episode though. Considering they're probably the same ship. (...)

It was supposed to be a D7 but they ended up using the K'Tinga model - it's not crucial to the plot as it's stated if the author had known the D7 model was unavialable they would have changed the lines accordingly but I categorize this as a mismatched rank or wrong department colour personally pig-1.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    Not a mistake in the episode though. Considering they're probably the same ship. (...)

It was supposed to be a D7 but they ended up using the K'Tinga model - it's not crucial to the plot as it's stated if the author had known the D7 model was unavialable they would have changed the lines accordingly but I categorize this as a mismatched rank or wrong department colour personally pig-1.gif

Meh. It's the Klingon version of the Conni, to me they're close enough to being the same ship anyway, especially as TaT shows a TOS era ship in green with wing stencilling like the later DS9 versions and them both being identified as a D7 is good enough to confirm that to me.

Still dosn't excuse it appearing in ENT though, especially not as a refit. I can't believe they did a Blu-ray release and didn't add the unused D6 model in.​​

#TASforSTO

• redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    Still dosn't excuse it appearing in ENT though, especially not as a refit. I can't believe they did a Blu-ray release and didn't add the unused D6 model in.​​

In ENT EVERY major race had ships that looked way too modern for that timeframe. The klingon bird of prey of that time also had a lot more weapons than later versions. Like seriously... why would the klingons reduce a raider to only two primary cannons and one tiny torpedo-launcher that can be easily disabled if previously they had lotsa gunz? Power drain? As if klingons care...

The art-department was only really careful when it came to the United Earth Starfleet and the other federation-founders. With aliens, no matter if well-known or not, they didn't really look twice before the airing of an episode.

Still dosn't excuse it appearing in ENT though, especially not as a refit. I can't believe they did a Blu-ray release and didn't add the unused D6 model in.

In ENT EVERY major race had ships that looked way too modern for that timeframe. The klingon bird of prey of that time also had a lot more weapons than later versions. Like seriously... why would the klingons reduce a raider to only two primary cannons and one tiny torpedo-launcher that can be easily disabled if previously they had lotsa gunz? Power drain? As if klingons care...

The art-department was only really careful when it came to the United Earth Starfleet and the other federation-founders. With aliens, no matter if well-known or not, they didn't really look twice before the airing of an episode.

The Klingon BoP, D5, Raptor, and the unused D6 are all covered with pipes and tubes on the outside that are supposed to visually convey a more primitive feel in a similar way to the tanks and boosters present on the Earth ships. True the lit and pointed nacelles and streamlined shapes do look modern but overall I don't think the Klingon ships are as badly designed as you remember.

Weapons are never consistent or logically used in ST. Never. TWoK was the only TOS era film that had combat using anything other than the odd torpedo. It took until DS9 until ships moved to fight, and we didn't find out the TOS Conni had rear weapons until ENT. The ENT BoP had more weapons than the original because the producers decided it was silly it originally had so few.​​

#TASforSTO

• lordrezeonlordrezeon Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    Is it just me or does it seem like they just went through the concept art scrap books for alien of the week designs and just grabbed a handful of random designs and called it the Klingon fleet. There is no design consistency at all with those ships. None of them look like they were built by the same civilization. At least the Federation ships stick with the saucer and nacelle tradition for Starfleet ships, but these Klingon ones are just to ragtag to call a fleet.

I don't think that. The NX, for example, looks more primitive than the Connie. It's all gnarly, covered in greebles and kibble. I always link smooth, sleek and streamlined as more advanced. The original Connie, the Universe class as well is another example. I also see that in other sci fi, like the ship in flight of the Navigator.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    > @lordrezeon said:
    > Is it just me or does it seem like they just went through the concept art scrap books for alien of the week designs and just grabbed a handful of random designs and called it the Klingon fleet. There is no design consistency at all with those ships. None of them look like they were built by the same civilization. At least the Federation ships stick with the saucer and nacelle tradition for Starfleet ships, but these Klingon ones are just to ragtag to call a fleet.

I agree with you, though it fits the Klingorcs themselves whose radical redesign looks nothing like Klingons used to look ( and sorry @artan42 but after having half a season with them there is no way they can still fit 'amost perfectly' with the older designs xD ). DSC just decided to fundamentally redesign one of the most iconic races in their franchise. Some may call it 'bold', I think it's stupid but it's the way it is.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    > @lordrezeon said:
    > Is it just me or does it seem like they just went through the concept art scrap books for alien of the week designs and just grabbed a handful of random designs and called it the Klingon fleet. There is no design consistency at all with those ships. None of them look like they were built by the same civilization. At least the Federation ships stick with the saucer and nacelle tradition for Starfleet ships, but these Klingon ones are just to ragtag to call a fleet.

I agree with you, though it fits the Klingorcs themselves whose radical redesign looks nothing like Klingons used to look ( and sorry @artan42 but after having half a season with them there is no way they can still fit 'amost perfectly' with the older designs xD ). DSC just decided to fundamentally redesign one of the most iconic races in their franchise. Some may call it 'bold', I think it's stupid but it's the way it is.

~fistbump~
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I don't think that. The NX, for example, looks more primitive than the Connie. It's all gnarly, covered in greebles and kibble. I always link smooth, sleek and streamlined as more advanced. The original Connie, the Universe class as well is another example. I also see that in other sci fi, like the ship in flight of the Navigator.
    The ship from Flight of the Navigator was made with Mimetic Polyalloy. The hull would reshape itself to change aerodynamics. Also it didn't actually have a door. Part of the hull would reshape itself to make one.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg

Which the Klingons or their ships? Because I've only said some Klingons look acceptable. T'Kuvma, Kol, and Voq are the main ones who are so similar as to be identical to previous versions. Other like L'Rell look stupidly over-designed for no apparent reason.

If you're on about their ships then the two I quoted way above fit perfectly. One is clearly a battlecruiser and the second a raptor, they differ mainly in colour. The other background ships are exactly that, they don't look particularly Klingon, but as I pointed out, neither do these - 1, 2, 3, and 4.​​

#TASforSTO