test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Weapon stacking cap?

aodhan#2460 aodhan Member Posts: 75 Arc User
Is there a cap to stacking things for weapon damage?

So if i can equip 3 sets that together add + 45%, 2 epic consoles with +10-25%, can i then add the 20% tactical consoles? As i think it came to +177% (added together, not exponentially)

Comments

• aodhan#2460 aodhan Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    I'm on xbox. So if i use
    Tzenkethi Shield, Deflector, Engines +30%
    Krenim warp core, beam, science console +13.3%
    Nukara console, mines, beam +8.9%
    Sticky web +25%

That'd be +77.2% tetryon damage right? And then add 20% tetryon tactical consoles, with 3 that'd be +137.2% right? I read somewhere i can only use 3. Though I've seen some use all 5 tac slots for +20%s

From the little i understand, they're all.....category 1 thingeys yeah? Like consoles, set bonuses etc? Is there anywhere it canonically states or is it inferred equations from players doing tests n stuff?

So is that that the beams would do +237.2-272.2% dps compared to having no boosts as on a freshly opened ship?

It's partly because if there's no max cap, i might choose some space sets that may be more suitable to each individual ships if i find any. I've been playing a good 6 months but sometimes the maths isn't always obvious especially with subtle differences in wordings they use. I'm not looking for the ultimate highest dps builds, ive a few ideas im toying with that seem very fun so far, but having a ship that's fun AND fairly powerful would be decent

Merry Christmas btw
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    Isn't there a degree of diminishing returns on the bonus though, so after a while you won't get as big of a bonus as you'd think?
  • seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    Only resists have deminishing returns, everything else can be stacked without concern.

Here are the details regarding buff categories on reddit:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/stobuilds/wiki/math/damage_categories
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    Only resists have diminishing returns, everything else can be stacked without concern

And that's why tanks don't really exist in STO.

• aodhan#2460 aodhan Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    Okay so what's this whole thing about diminishing returns because I've looked a few times and its mainly so un user friendly with so much jargon and acronyms. After all knowledge is to be shared, and knowledge isn't useful if you have to understand it before you can understand it =)

My understanding is that after a while, it either adds less than advertised, or adds nothing at all. But what's the threshold for this? What else doesn't stack? It'd be useful if these categories were put on the wiki tbf