test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Donating Nonexistant Provisions to Colony

taehsongtaehsong Member Posts: 629 Arc User
Another strange bug just surfaced. I donated 8 Colony Luxury Provisions, 8 Colony Battery Provisions and 8 Colony Ore Provisions. Except this captain didn't have any provisions to donate, cause they never did any Colony Provisions STFs.

Also busts the myth that provisions are donated in groups of 10.

Comments

• Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    If your Fleet has permissions set for your Rank, you may have actually been donating Provisions from the Coffers. When donating focus will be on the Tab that actually has Provisions availible for donation. If you have permissions for the Coffer and you have none, you will automatically be focused on that Coffer Tab. If you didn't notice you may have been there instead of on your own Tab.

As donations from the Coffers do not generate Fleet Credits (people already got that from donating to the Coffer) there may not be that 10 requirement when filling a Project.

It is NOT a myth about the 10 requirement. It applies in the case of donations that generate Fleet Credits. I have explained that 10 in another one of the Threads on Provision donations and how that works.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    ltminns wrote: »
    As donations from the Coffers do not generate Fleet Credits (people already got that from donating to the Coffer) there may not be that 10 requirement when filling a Project.

There isn't. It was the way that I tested to see if there was an extra donation from inventory for the final 10 when the total needed was directly divisible by 10. I donated all but 250 from the coffer and then switched to another character with 250 on hand and it took it all in one go.

Seriously, OP, people have tested this pretty thoroughly and we have figured out how it works. You can trust others to be somewhat competent at things.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    For the zillionth time, you can't donate 4 from your Inventory, unless only 4 are needed to complete the donation to the Project. In that case it will show 10 needed and you will get 33 Fleet Credits as it pays you for 10. If the amount still needed is more than 4, you will NOT be able to donate those 4.

It is working as they established it and people have tested and confirmed what I have said above. You are not understanding what has been stated.

Is it a stupid way they set this up - Yes. But for whatever reason they did, it IS working as they stupidly established it.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    kf4tvikf4tvi Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    taehsong wrote: »
    Clarification:

The slider chooses increments of 10 provisions at a time, but you can donate any amount of provisions even if it is smaller than 10.

Problem still stands, I have 4 dud battery provisions in my inventory. I got 250 extra batteries to donate but it didn't clear the bug even after 250 were donated.

You probably did not do a thorough test since you do not know what problems to look for.

I have this same issue with all three of the provisions at Dranuur Colony, at first I just put the extras in my bank and it seems like they would eventually just disappear on their own. But my bank is full now so for now I just leave them in my inventory and ignore them , at least until the colony is completed since this is going to be a long term project. This of course takes 3 slots away from my inventory and if you are relying on drops for income that could be problematic. I would discard one of those small provision stacks if I picked up a drop that was worth more to me if I had to though. Compared to all the other issues affecting current gameplay, this one is very minor.
  • Options
    engineerb4#4806 engineerb4 Member Posts: 211 Cryptic Developer
    edited January 2019
    Post edited by engineerb4#4806 on
    STO Software Engineer
    I build things. Things that make us go.
  • Options
    kf4tvikf4tvi Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    Donating Colony provisions from your inventory to a project will take batches of 10 and reward 33 fleet credits.
    Donating Colony provisions from your inventory to a coffer will take batches of 10 and reward 33 fleet credits.
    Donating Colony provisions from the coffer to a project will allow any number to be contributed.
    Donations originating from a player will check both your bank and inventory.
    If a project is almost full it might ignore the batch requirement to prevent the project from getting stuck.

If I donate directly from my inventory to a project that has NO donations yet at all, and my stack is a full 250, it says donating 250...but I always have a little left over in my inventory, like 5 or 6. (This isn't a big deal because I am getting the credit for the full 250, it is really about why are those staying behind? At worse it is just an inconvenience because you have to move them out of inventory into your bank to make room for drops later on.)

UPDATE FIXED - I decided to delete all those odd stacks of provisions from my banks/inventories, and that appears to have fixed this issue. Probably just left over from the bug at the beginning and it just kept pulling those old leftovers which always left those stragglers behind. I probably should have tried that earlier but didn't want to waste those provisions. Thanks for your time and patience. LLAP
    Post edited by kf4tvi on
  • Options
    Thank you for the report.
    STO Software Engineer
  • Options
    frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    I'm glad its working as intended. You should be able to stack/sort the provisions to get the same effect.

May I ask why it's intended to work this way? I still don't understand why you guys restricted donations to multiples of 10. Why didn't you just round the reward to the nearest integer instead?
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    STO Software Engineer
  • Options
    frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    The game designers did some math related to effort vs reward and came up with 10 to 33.

Yes, I understood that part. I'm asking why they didn't just make it 3.3 fleet credits per provision and round the total reward, or make it 3 or 4 fleet credits per provision if they didn't want to round in the code. To me, it seems that they went with the solution that's harder to implement, harder to test, harder for the user to understand, less convenient for the user, and may lead to complications down the line if the code needs to be changed.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • Options
    anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    taehsong wrote: »
    Clarification:

The slider chooses increments of 10 provisions at a time, but you can donate any amount of provisions even if it is smaller than 10.

Problem still stands, I have 4 dud battery provisions in my inventory. I got 250 extra batteries to donate but it didn't clear the bug even after 250 were donated.

You probably did not do a thorough test since you do not know what problems to look for.

As stated above, you are merely not understanding what we're telling you, but at least now a developer has confirmed it does work just like we're describing. If you're donating any amount less than 10 according to the slider, you are donating from the coffer, and probably don't realize it because you aren't paying attention to everything that's going on, namely the that you don't get any fleet credits when donating from the coffer.

My advice to anyone who has less than 10 of any of the provisions leftover after donating is to just sell them for the bit of EC that you get, since you already got credit for those when you donated the other part of those 10. From then on, donate to the coffer, assuming that you have permission, it's far cleaner.

If you really feel that you must get the fleet credits for those 4 "duds" that you have, use what you should have already learned here. Find a project that needs exactly 244 more of that provision. If none needs exactly that amount, but needs some more, and your coffer has enough to do so, donate from the coffer until the remaining total needed is exactly 244. Then go do the assignment to get another 250 of that provision to put you at 254 (you could have done this beforehand if you have another character in that fleet with no greater than 9 of the same provision on hand to do the donating from the coffer) and donate what's needed to finish the project. That will be one donation of 240 and one that says that it needs 10, and will reward you for donating 10, but will only take 4, thus leaving you with 10. Donate those remaining 10 to the coffer. Congratulations! You have now gotten double fleet credits for those 10, for a whopping extra 33 fleet credits, and your provisions on hand are empty. Now take my advice from above and avoid all of this in the future by always donating your provisions to the coffer, and then filling the project from there.
    Post edited by anodynes on
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    STO Software Engineer