test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Would adding Reputation Marks as a Fleet Holding currency bring you back to PvE ?

ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
As the title says would adding the various rep marks to fleet holding projects entice you back to playing PvE ?

It would give older PvE queues where the Reputation system has been finished a reason outside of A. Earning marks for Dil and B. Playing for fun.
maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.

Would adding Reputation Marks as a Fleet Holding currency bring you back to PvE ? 39 votes

Yes If it breathes life back into empty queues
28%
nimbulldamainxtheraven2378tyler002indysharktristanlightyearcasualstoavoozuulusskentuckymemnoch#6978bartimaeus#4158 11 votes
No i wouldn't because i don't PvE
2%
where2r1 1 vote
No as i won't be shoehorned into playing content i don't like
10%
repetitiveepicthay8472luckyyahooshadowwraith#9264 4 votes
I'm not in a fleet so i don't care
5%
crashdragondumas13 2 votes
Things are fine as they are leave well alone
0%
There needs to be an alternative solution to getting the PvE queues populated again
53%
ikonn#1068duncanidaho11alexraptorrmirrorchaosmattjohnsonvastrathkincrypticarmsmandracounguisltminnspatrickngokeladorevilmark444relicthiefpostagepaidtrennanasuran14djf021mneme0jamieblanchardfleetcaptain5#1134 21 votes

Comments

• berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    Your proposal needs more detail in order to decide. Also your voting options seem confusing.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Only certain Reputation Marks would work like New Romulus Marks for the Embassy or Dyson Marks for the Spire.
  • usskentuckyusskentucky Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    I suggested they work in all the different rep rewards into the Dranuur colony but they weren’t interested. They barely use fleet marks anymore. But they still have plenty of spaces for donating dilithium, which creates a resource sink, which results in people putting money into the game. I’m beginning to think fleet holdings are only there as a source of revenue. Rep gear is superior to fleet gear, after all, though it still breaks the bank on dilithium.
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    I got all my rep marks (for 11 characters, T5 in everything except Competitive on a few) without playing queues except for Borg RA. I have thousands of marks still lying around on characters. For me, this wouldn't change anything. /shrug

(not saying that I'm representative of a large portion of the playerbase. Just pointing out that, for those of us who avoid queues? There's plenty of ways to avoid queues.)
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Rep marks are dilithium-equivalent, so they already are a holding project input.

As a gameplay incentive the rep marks are well and truly busted even for the reps themselves, at least since they made the RA's give all marks if not earlier. There is no differential value in them anymore. I did the whole lukari rep without once touching relevant content and seeing how empty the queues and battlezone were, so did a lot of others.

It takes something unique to get people interested. The colony provisions in the latest queues have decent differential value, at least for now. They're not entirely unique, though. So they may be outperformed by other sources in the future.
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    rep marks are already a fleet input, you convert them into dil
    When I do that I usually just keep the refined dil to myself anyway.

Post edited by avoozuul on
  • alexraptorralexraptorr Member Posts: 1,192 Arc User
    There needs to be an alternative solution to getting the PvE queues populated again
    I don't understand why people keep suggesting all kinds of cockamamie ideas when the solution to dead queues is simple and already known and a universal truth in most MMORPG. Unique random loot drops of some kind from individual queues. It works for like literally everyone else and worked for STO before whine of casuals with entitlement issues caused them to introduce the reputation system.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
  • asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    THe thing is that it will not take merely one addition, or change to improve the dead que issue. SInce the issue is a matter of creating enough incentive for players to do the content outside those that have the best reward to time investment, and that fact that not all players view incentives equally as appealing.
      Suggested changes: These changes I personally think would be good to be done incrementally over time. As I think the implementation of making it that failing an optional objective on advanced difficulty was just rolled out too fast.
    • Reward structure change: Right now we have the issue that most stfs give our pretty much the same reward based on the difficulty regardless of the length of the stf, with some even giving a choice of many mark types that it disincentives doing other content. Moving it back to where you needed to do specific stfs to get rep-marks of a specific type would help that, as well as breaking up the reward structure so that longer/harder stf had better rewards would help also. Though also making it that completing the optionals in the stfs gave you elite marks instead of additional normal rep-marks would help to make learning to do those optionals more appealing (also allowing people to get rep gear without feeling they have to go into advanced without the gear or knowledge needed.)
    • Unique rewards: For me I would also say that the fact we only have the generic rewards (dil, ec, rep-mark) for completing stfs it hurts the desire/apeal to do anything other than the stf with the highest reward to time ratio. Putting in a pool of unique-drops that might be linked to specific stf/groups of stfs (and so might have a theme based on a rep too) could appeal to players to do other content. Also if you have it that finishing a stf has a base-chance to get a drop from the associated pool of drops, but also that maybe that chance is affected by the optional objectives could help too. This pool of drops could also be added to over time both as people get the items, but also as new stf/reps come in-game, and so would keep the appeal to do more content appealing.
    • Weekly/Daily Rep-quests: Doing something like the Endeavor system that each day/weekly gives you a quest to do specific things ranging from doing specific stfs, to doing specific things in content tied to that rep. This would again give players an appealing incentive to do other content.
    • Fleet mark/credit: It would be fun to see them make getting fleet marks, credits, and even fleet-tied items to doing content that is connected to the fleets (such as fleet action or fleet stfs). Then you could also take the idea of having a project that you can put rep-mark into an get either fleet credits and/or marks via. This would give a appeal to do fleet stfs an actions as doing just any stf would not give you credits/marks for fleets unless you convert them.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    They just need to do away with the plethora of rep marks we have. When it was 3-4 it was ok, but they are running into the same problem they had in Season 3? with the exploration marks you'd get at every rank. They killed them off because they wanted to simplify the currencies in STO. Now it's worse than it was then.
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    I don't understand why people keep suggesting all kinds of cockamamie ideas when the solution to dead queues is simple and already known and a universal truth in most MMORPG. Unique random loot drops of some kind from individual queues. It works for like literally everyone else and worked for STO before whine of casuals with entitlement issues caused them to introduce the reputation system.

You don't even need THAT. The endeavor system when it is based on a queue make that one queue pop like crazy for most of the time. So have a random, smaller endeavor box type deal for a queue of the day that you get everytime you run that queue and cycle. They already have a system for something like this in the endeavor system so they should be able to manage this.

But that is the issue with such a system, as it will improve the pop of one or two select ques at a time, though I am not saying that having a system like that would help[ get other stfs to be populated though. Yet also not everyone is drawn by the same type of additional rewards, as some are drawn to the idea of getting a unique drop, while others are more drawn to additional rewards in the form of dil/marks/ec an such.

I prefer the idea of reps giving out missions/quests to do certain missions or stfs (even actions in a specific mission or stf) to get a box that might have additional marks/dil/ec or unique rewards in it. Doing that would create both an appeal as well as an incentive to do more than just a single additional stf.

I will say that yes alot of people/players hated the rang fact of the unique stf drops that were around prior to delta. Though that was alot to do with the fact that it was largely the only method of improving, if they had kept the unique-stf drops alongside the rep system such drops might have been more palatable. Though also it is unmistakable that when we had drops that were unique to sfs a larger variety of stfs were played, compared to when they dropped the unique drops (though also the completion time of stfs had an effect on it too).
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    Ugh, I wish I could retract my vote, the green option is actually more appealing to me.
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    The massive issues with player participation in content is this overwhelming, never ending death-march towards universal everything when it come to rewards.
    You can literally complete every reputation bar the latest one on a toon by doing nothing but Borg RAs and that is just pushing people to do the path of least resistance. Why queue for slightly difficult Iconian queues for their rep if you can do the easy RA omni-reward ones instead. You don’t have to even fight most enemies to complete their reputations!

That sort of nonsense is killing the queues, combined with a crappy reward structure overall that doesn’t take into account that you can run things like ISA or CCA together faster than one run of any elite to get more rewards.

You want to get people playing ALL the queues? Add in unique reward drops, but not something I need to only get once. Add something highly prized I can/want to get again and again. Something I can trade perhaps, to those unwilling to play the queue it comes from. That gets people playing things repeatedly and it creates a market for the rewards, so those willing can earn something from their time played, and those unwilling to put time in must pay those who do for the shiny toys.
    SulMatuul.png
    Some games actually keep rewards relevant by having top tier gear, the best of the best, as degradable items, requiring a constant upkeep over time, usually by making either the gear or the resource required to make/repair it tradable, which actually adds real trade value to doing boss/raid type content.
    I think something similar may actually be healthy for STO's economy as right now we don't have any items of value to speak of that can be obtained through regular combat gameplay.
    "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid." - Q
    Yeah that is an interesting view. STO seems to be a game that you spend a lot of time grinding through the levels and getting nice gear, but once you have it you sort of stagnate. There’s no reaso to seek out new gear, or alter a build beyond the odd tweak. That’s pretty bad if you are trying to get people to play content continuously to stay fresh, players who are set in their ways don’t have any reason to leave their comfort zone.
    It’s gotta be done carefully, no use having stuff need upkeep where the cost is outlandishly large and off putting. Nor should it be so cheap it becomes a non-issue.
    SulMatuul.png
  • blitzy4blitzy4 Member Posts: 839 Arc User
    Another problem I feel is in part the gearing system. I can see rep gear being character bound, but all the other gear should be account bound so it'll influence a person to pass some of their older gear down and make a newer character doing the cycle over again. That being said, there is very little reason to go through the entire rep system a second time after it's been done once. Usually just to get an ship/personal set or something you generally like. Suppose it depends on if they want to encourage alting or not really. If they do, I might suggest going so far as to make rep account driven, and the rewards too, so they won't be abused too badly.
    jKixCmJ.jpg
    "..and like children playing after sunset, we were surrounded by darkness." -Ruri Hoshino

blitzy4 wrote: »
    Another problem I feel is in part the gearing system. I can see rep gear being character bound, but all the other gear should be account bound so it'll influence a person to pass some of their older gear down and make a newer character doing the cycle over again. That being said, there is very little reason to go through the entire rep system a second time after it's been done once. Usually just to get an ship/personal set or something you generally like. Suppose it depends on if they want to encourage alting or not really. If they do, I might suggest going so far as to make rep account driven, and the rewards too, so they won't be abused too badly.

Actually a lot of people do the rep on different characters, if for no other reason than the Dilithium and trait rewards. The thing is though there is just so many sources of marks in the game, their nothing special, and A LOT of people take the opportunity to stock up big time on the marks they need during events.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    lordsteve1 wrote: »
    The massive issues with player participation in content is this overwhelming, never ending death-march towards universal everything when it come to rewards.
    You can literally complete every reputation bar the latest one on a toon by doing nothing but Borg RAs and that is just pushing people to do the path of least resistance. Why queue for slightly difficult Iconian queues for their rep if you can do the easy RA omni-reward ones instead. You don’t have to even fight most enemies to complete their reputations!

That sort of nonsense is killing the queues, combined with a crappy reward structure overall that doesn’t take into account that you can run things like ISA or CCA together faster than one run of any elite to get more rewards.

You want to get people playing ALL the queues? Add in unique reward drops, but not something I need to only get once. Add something highly prized I can/want to get again and again. Something I can trade perhaps, to those unwilling to play the queue it comes from. That gets people playing things repeatedly and it creates a market for the rewards, so those willing can earn something from their time played, and those unwilling to put time in must pay those who do for the shiny toys.
    Right. Tradeable rares are one of the greatest incentives. And best of all self-balancing, because if some queue is unpopular it's drops will become more rare thus more expensive making it intrinsically better to go for less played queue instead of spamming the most popular.

Drops would also counter the devaluing of dilithium-equivalent by increasing idle gameplay sources like admiralty.

Especially when combined with culling the choice marks and scaling the numeric rewards to time and difficulty of the queue, it would effectively make it worth playing a diverse range of content again.
    coldnapalm wrote: »

You don't even need THAT. The endeavor system when it is based on a queue make that one queue pop like crazy for most of the time. So have a random, smaller endeavor box type deal for a queue of the day that you get everytime you run that queue and cycle. They already have a system for something like this in the endeavor system so they should be able to manage this.
    Thing is, the endeavor system rewards are objectively TRIBBLE. It only works because the endeavors themselves are so very limited people don't need to think economically about them. So you do something once, on one toon, maybe three times a week. And often it's something that pops during normal gameplay anyway. It's a quick, just-for-fun diversion.

If people could actually GRIND them, they would do the math and quickly realise 99% of the endeavor boxes contain something an admiralty assignment would give. And usually not even a good admiralty assignment. They'd realise that endeavor box or no, the "queue of the day" still loses horribly to CCA in reward over time. Except of course when CCA is the queue of the day.
    valoreah wrote: »
    All they need to do to make queues vibrant again is have a rotating "queue of the day" that gives double rewards and choice of marks, and have it rotate through every queue in the game, one per day.

It's too much work for them to do though :(

There were a whole load of complaints back in the day when there were rotating events. People claimed to "never" be able to participate in some of them as they landed "outside their play window".

Well that can be rectified with a combo of the old hourly events and the new weekend events merged in to one idea.

Have the game pick 3 random PVE queues every 3 days (same as the endeavor system time scale wise). Those 3 will include: 1 normal, 1 advanced, 1 elite, and at least one of them will be ground based. Also the algorithm for choosing said queues will be set so that it cannot select any of the top 5 most played queues of the last 3 days. This way things like ISA, CCA etc that get played to death don't appear, or only very rarely.
    Now these 3 chosen queues will off some increased reward for anyone playing them. Be it double or even triple rewards, or some form of UR trade-able gear/cosmetic drop. Something so tempting it just drags people in and those unwilling to play said queues can still get those rewards by purchasing them off people via the exchange.
    The algorithm that chooses those queues should also discard any of the previous set of 3 from being chosen the next time.
    This system would run indefinitely and only require the initial coding to select the random queues.

This sort of system would do multiple things:
    1. It gets the less well played queues back in circulation.
    2. It means people have less reason to automatically jump into the popular "easy-money" queues for good reward returns.
    3. It provides a repeatable UR incentive to play less popular or featured content.
    4. It provides a new market for a commodity. Those willing to play get the UR, those unwilling can pay for it making the people selling better off in terms of resources.
    SulMatuul.png
  • robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    The Red Alerts are the bigger problem for PvE queues. Why run queues then I can get the marks from them. What you need to do is target a use for elite marks.
  • casualstocasualsto Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    It's a great initiative.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    You really mean just bring back the Dailies.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    Honestly I couldn't care any less about "marks". On the other hand add something unique and valuble or with bragging rights to grind for and i'll be there in a heartbeat.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    They just need to do away with the plethora of rep marks we have. When it was 3-4 it was ok, but they are running into the same problem they had in Season 3? with the exploration marks you'd get at every rank. They killed them off because they wanted to simplify the currencies in STO. Now it's worse than it was then.

The problem before Season 5 with currencies was that there was a ton of currencies for the exact same thing. There was 6 different types of currency for exploration and 6 different types of currency for PvP. Spend a couple of hours working to get that Mk VI equipment from the Badges of Exploration store and unfortunately you leveled up to Captain making all your Mk VI Badges of Exploration completely worthless.

Having too many Reputation Marks is not a problem since Reputation Marks are always useful in buying Reputation gear or converting it to Dilithium. It doesn't make sense simplifying the Reputation Marks since they represent the reputation your character has built up with a particular faction. How is helping defeat the Borg in the Gamma Orionis sector block supposed to help New Romulus?
    Well i mean I would not mind if they took time to update/reuse older reps, which could actually slow the addition of more reps an marks actually.
  • tremere12tremere12 Member Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    There's too many queues to choose from, and some are abandoned because they're poorly tweaked, not fun and/or not rewarding enough in comparison to others.