test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Flare Mortar and Romulan Operative(furtive)

aftulusaftulus Member Posts: 668 Arc User
edited October 2017 in The Academy
I use romulan operative and Flare mortar together on my engineer. This adds defense and keeps me alive behind my cover shield. I use Neutronic mortar for damage with 2x doff proc and the same for biotech turrets with dof proc. this means I can sit behind a cover shield and use 3 mortars, 3 turrets, Huricane turret, overcharged turret, and flare mortar doing damage for me.

The other cool thing this does is flare mortar activates the cloak on the romulan ops gear and I think activate the extra damage while claoked for the romulan op gun giving it increased frontal damage. This helps get better dps on this gun when needed for activating max procs but it limited to the range of the flare mortar.

How much cloak does this activate. I'm not sure how ground cloaking works. I was originally assuming it was minimal but could not tell. It's enough to make you less likely to get shot up while hiding behind a cover shield although you still get shot at once in a while. Much more if you start opening fire with your weapon.

Any ideas. I'm not sure how many people are aware these to objects interact. I'm also not certain if any other armors or items do this with flare mortar. I wonder if it's related to the +10% cloak or other stats. I haven't done alot of testing as I don't have a lot of equipment. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a romulan op only thing. It gives it alot more use for engineers making it useful for more than just tac.

I never got around to it but I was going to get these on all of my away team and run around with an invisible away team and shoot at stuff and see how effective it is. 007 away strike team! ><

Comments

• questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,317 Arc User
    Might be interesting to give that combo a try. So far i haven't been too impressed by the flare mortar.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • aftulusaftulus Member Posts: 668 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    I use the doff for 2x mortars, 2xturrets, Cover Shield giving +25resall, Shield distrubution healing those around you, and I have the one for latinum on kills. I'm looking into the one fleet embasy thull and verelan for +def on ambush and -time on summoning shard of possibilities. But I don't know which ones work atm. Halving shard time would be great.

skillplanner.stoacademy.com/1cd7d94d24086ebc47ee0f5ce9f4aa15

Here is my partial build. A lot of these items are missing for some reason. And I changed out the melee run speed for the improved aim crouch skill on a fleet members info. I also don't use firearm specilist anymore. Although I could. I was using the counter command gun to go with the engineer kit for the bonuses until I got the boolean. still working the boolean out.

With the counter command bonus I can get base 42.5crit with 100-130 crit severity without epic weapon bonuses. with the boolean I can do the same with 37.5 crit chance.

I was also playing with the double expose chance trait(+10% +2 seconds) but I wasn't having luck not killing stuff before getting to use the 210% bonus to the face with the romulan op pistol after exposing with the counter command phaser rifle. the little romulan gun is still good with cloak and ambush tactics. If I could proc the full bonus I could easily get 5-6k or more with base unupgraded gun. I can do a flank at 2.5-3.3k and no expose. Just need to use melee on someone rear while cloaked. Knock them down and get expose and then kneel aim and shoot secondary in before they turn around. 8) 175%+210%+ whatever bonus. Pure assassination weapon.
  • aftulusaftulus Member Posts: 668 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    I changed it to just mortars and added healing stuff for the new fleet content. It's really nice in that it helps reset your secondary to fire off the big shots more.

skillplanner.stoacademy.com/1cd7d94d24086ebc47ee0f5ce9f4aa15

Does anyone know if Flare mortar is supposed to give a visual or more cloak to romulan op furitive set? Someone in my fleet thought it might be a glitch. It also seems to activate the +75% damage proc which makes the little polaran gun good for close range higher dps frontal firing. Really good for burning enemies down if you don't have or want to activate the secondary reductions. If I'm not mistaken turrets and mortars getting kills also activate the bonus with the shiny things on your wrist for the extra bonus for kill that the gun is supposed to proc along with other things. It's a really good setup potentially for engineers.

I'm under the impression that it activates the cloak to make engineer more useful so it's not just tac oriented. And I figured there is some angle for sci to to get use. Although it probably gets enough from just the occasional cloaking given what sci has available in terms of healing and res without having to lay down turrets.