test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PVP Endeavor: historical moment.

Comments

• odinforever20000odinforever20000 Member Posts: 1,849 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    This Endeavor does not even complete after playing three PvP queues. Ground PvP was indeed no fun. I died at least six times in row instantly after respawn. Some people seem to have weapons that blow you away with one shot.

Also could be you don't have decent gear/specs... Ground PvP is nutz though.

Ground PvP is completely broken, resists literally mean diddly squat, your going to get stomped by overpowered insta-kill science combos, insta-kill Boolean guns and the likes. Even running into an engineers minefield is pretty tame by comparison.

So..Both Tac and Sci have High Debuff abilities as Captain skills..Tacs both Buff and Debuff (and bonus damage for cloaking..).
    My least Fav Tacs are the Cloak and Vape for ground..But typically they are a 1 trick wonder..Once you find away around that they are toast.

At least for Science..it requires a combination of abilities. There are DoT counters that seem to fix this..Some things you can literally run out of..But...Sci players focus on Environmental Damage,something most players have low resistance to and dont count on encountering.Check your Toxic,Cold and Fire stats..You'll see..At least they are not relegated to "Healers" only (At least thats what my fleet thought they were)

As for the Engineers..Oh man they haves some GREAT abilities..The Transphasic Bomb will wipe out a player (Several if close enough) in 1 hit...But it takes time and strategy to set up (like most eng abilities).. The Mortars will WRECK players at Mk14 IF they are caught by em. Mines would Insta-kill players IF you dont have shields..

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Jacobs_xSmall.png

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

• trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    This Endeavor does not even complete after playing three PvP queues. Ground PvP was indeed no fun. I died at least six times in row instantly after respawn. Some people seem to have weapons that blow you away with one shot.

Ground PvP is completely broken, resists literally mean diddly squat, your going to get stomped by overpowered insta-kill science combos, insta-kill Boolean guns and the likes. Even running into an engineers minefield is pretty tame by comparison.

So..Both Tac and Sci have High Debuff abilities as Captain skills..Tacs both Buff and Debuff (and bonus damage for cloaking..).
    My least Fav Tacs are the Cloak and Vape for ground..But typically they are a 1 trick wonder..Once you find away around that they are toast.

At least for Science..it requires a combination of abilities. There are DoT counters that seem to fix this..Some things you can literally run out of..But...Sci players focus on Environmental Damage,something most players have low resistance to and dont count on encountering.Check your Toxic,Cold and Fire stats..You'll see..At least they are not relegated to "Healers" only (At least thats what my fleet thought they were)

As for the Engineers..Oh man they haves some GREAT abilities..The Transphasic Bomb will wipe out a player (Several if close enough) in 1 hit...But it takes time and strategy to set up (like most eng abilities).. The Mortars will WRECK players at Mk14 IF they are caught by em. Mines would Insta-kill players IF you dont have shields..

Ehh, everyone is currently a one-trick pony on the ground. Since they made kit modules a part of the character and not a part of the kit. Don't even have to wear a kit to use them.

I could have more fun if I could still change my module setup, just by changing kits. Taking the kit modules out of the kits was one of them most idiotic ideas the dev's have put out for this. Other than as a stat buff, kits are useless now.

Don't get me wrong though. I do enjoy being able to use modules without having to worry about which slot they go in. Though, losing the ability to mod a kit, switch kits and mod that one for something else. This use to be part of the fun and versatility of the kits. One could go from Damage to Tank just by switch kits.

Now, instead, of.. "Give me a moment to switch kits." It's "Give me 10 minutes to setup my modules." Which usually ends up being, "Dammit, the ones I need are in the bank." Because now you have to carry every single kit module you want to use in your inventory.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • polaris#8246 polaris Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    a
    trennan wrote: »
    They also still need to kill the insane speed and turn buffs. This is supposed to be Star Trek online, not starfighter online.
    PvP needs to be accessible to everyone, not just top 1% elitists, and it actually used to be.

It still is accessible to everyone. The reason most feel that it isn't accessible, is that it requires one to think about build. I know a few PvPers. I've been toying with builds and such myself. I test those builds against the PvPers, because PvE is to easy to conduct an accurate test.

PvE = build glass cannon and survive. No challenge.

PvP = build glass cannon and become fodder.

The difference. You can ignore the gear and traits meant to help you survive in PvE. Not so much in PvP.

Though I will admit, starting down the path to be competitive in level 50+ PvP currently, is it's own expensive endeavor.

My point is, back in the day before all this power creep began, most players could just jump right into PvP and get a feel for the game and learn on the fly from their mistakes.
    But these days you pretty much need a crapload of foreknowledge and gear and specialization grind to even start PvP'ing at all or get totally smashed to atoms faster than you can say Live Long and Prosper.
    Your average player is most likely just going to throw his arms up in the air and say "**** this", and so here we are with PvP queues that are pretty much dead all of the time.
    Your "average player" who only went in the PvP because of the endeavor is most likely just going to pick up his reward and be happy it was fast and easy to get.

If only. I did an arena space PvP TWICE and still haven't gotten the endeavor. Ready to give up on it.
  • odinforever20000odinforever20000 Member Posts: 1,849 Arc User
    a
    They also still need to kill the insane speed and turn buffs. This is supposed to be Star Trek online, not starfighter online.
    PvP needs to be accessible to everyone, not just top 1% elitists, and it actually used to be.

It still is accessible to everyone. The reason most feel that it isn't accessible, is that it requires one to think about build. I know a few PvPers. I've been toying with builds and such myself. I test those builds against the PvPers, because PvE is to easy to conduct an accurate test.

PvE = build glass cannon and survive. No challenge.

PvP = build glass cannon and become fodder.

The difference. You can ignore the gear and traits meant to help you survive in PvE. Not so much in PvP.

Though I will admit, starting down the path to be competitive in level 50+ PvP currently, is it's own expensive endeavor.

My point is, back in the day before all this power creep began, most players could just jump right into PvP and get a feel for the game and learn on the fly from their mistakes.
    But these days you pretty much need a crapload of foreknowledge and gear and specialization grind to even start PvP'ing at all or get totally smashed to atoms faster than you can say Live Long and Prosper.
    Your average player is most likely just going to throw his arms up in the air and say "**** this", and so here we are with PvP queues that are pretty much dead all of the time.
    Your "average player" who only went in the PvP because of the endeavor is most likely just going to pick up his reward and be happy it was fast and easy to get.

If only. I did an arena space PvP TWICE and still haven't gotten the endeavor. Ready to give up on it.

Yea..the endeavor is broken..They will be fixing it.

Ehh, everyone is currently a one-trick pony on the ground. Since they made kit modules a part of the character and not a part of the kit. Don't even have to wear a kit to use them.

I could have more fun if I could still change my module setup, just by changing kits. Taking the kit modules out of the kits was one of them most idiotic ideas the dev's have put out for this. Other than as a stat buff, kits are useless now.

Don't get me wrong though. I do enjoy being able to use modules without having to worry about which slot they go in. Though, losing the ability to mod a kit, switch kits and mod that one for something else. This use to be part of the fun and versatility of the kits. One could go from Damage to Tank just by switch kits.

Now, instead, of.. "Give me a moment to switch kits." It's "Give me 10 minutes to setup my modules." Which usually ends up being, "Dammit, the ones I need are in the bank." Because now you have to carry every single kit module you want to use in your inventory.

Yea..I kinda miss that too with the whole ..Swapping Entire kits..COuld have a PVP focused one..a Solo focused one and a support one..all in your inventory..

The_Science_Channel_Signature_Gen_2_-_Jacobs_xSmall.png

Rouge Sto Wiki Editor.

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    I'll repeat this for people who don't want to read up in the Thread.

@trekonlinegame: The current endeavor on PC, "Participate in a PVP match," is not functioning correctly. We're aware and looking into it.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • justin#9822 justin Member Posts: 3 Arc User

I have level XIII ground weapons of epic quality that does about 139 dps. If that is not decent enough what is then. I can only upgrade it to level XIV which gives it round 160 dps. So what else can i do.

I have level XIII ground weapons of epic quality that does about 139 dps. If that is not decent enough what is then. I can only upgrade it to level XIV which gives it round 160 dps. So what else can i do.

Traits, skills, specializations, armor, and shield. A build is more than just a weapon. It's all of it. With each part picked because it is part of the overall build.

remember the difference:

PvE: NPC target practice. No real need for the survivability aspects.

PvP: Players that keep survivability and damage in mind.

So you could define the difference as:

PvE: Easy Mode

PvP: Hard Mode
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    That's pretty much spot on. Back in the pre-F2P days, PvE builds were a little more balanced
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
  • robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    orondis wrote: »
    That's pretty much spot on. Back in the pre-F2P days, PvE builds were a little more balanced

What? You mean We couldn't go fishing in a barrel with a stick of dynamite? You mean PvE had stratagy, where if a team wasn't built right you couldn't get past the second gate in the cure?

That's crazy talk.

Now I must remember Terradome and its random Sulu deaths to keep in mind how brokens things were so I see how things are no longer broken and that the players love it.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    Proves once again that PvP being dead in this game has nothing to do with "balance" and everything to do with rewards.

Isn't this interesting? I am surprised.
    Not surprised that it isn't working properly.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • vosorosvosoros Member Posts: 343 Arc User
    My T5-U Nova class if fairing well in the PVP affairs...but the Endevour system is full of fail this time round. 2 matches, 2 wins and no reward for endevouring. Ah well, guess there's always tomorrow...
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    I'm not really fond of the fact that I am being forced to play pvp for this endeavor.
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,455 Arc User
    avoozuul wrote: »
    I'm not really fond of the fact that I am being forced to play pvp for this endeavor.

You do not need to do the endeavor. It is optional. So you are not being forced to play PvP because of it. As for the bug, it is being fixed for the next patch which is tomorrow. Thanks. :)
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.

I am not having any problems with skipping any of the Endeavors when it is something I don't want to do.

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    edited October 2017

Get into a private ground match with a friend or fleet member. Take turns "winning" the match. Everyone collects the reward without going through a PvP match. I've had my fill of "elite strats" like spawn camping.

PvP in STO is garbage. You keep telling yourselves how it's the "real test" of "epicness" while you spawncamp and tell people how sh*t they are. Any future PvP Endeavor can suck it.
  • usskentuckyusskentucky Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    Man, some of you PVEers really need to learn how to make builds. It was like knocking down bowling pins in the arena tonight. Remember, you need to be running tactical consoles to boost your weapons and you need traits and heals for survivability. You can’t just throw a rainbow build together and pretend like you are LORD OF THE UNIVERSE when you are playing against other players. Stop hating the pvp players and start playing the game.
    Man, some of you PVEers really need to learn how to make builds. It was like knocking down bowling pins in the arena tonight. Remember, you need to be running tactical consoles to boost your weapons and you need traits and heals for survivability. You can’t just throw a rainbow build together and pretend like you are LORD OF THE UNIVERSE when you are playing against other players. Stop hating the pvp players and start playing the game.

Of course they can be the Lord of the Universe in a rainbow boat. If gives them the ability to at least look pretty when they get blown up by something stronger than they'll find in an PvE environment.

Plus remember. Most PvP builds don't end up on reddit or in the sto academy. Which makes it hard for them to copy and paste it to their characters.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    Ground PvP: Other/"pro" team stormed into our spawn area, nuked everyone in 2 seconds and sat there waiting for respawns. Final Score: 0 to 15
    Space PvP: Other/"pro" team come in a group, someone(s) puts out a God-awful Tyken's Rift and GW3 in same spot, we all die in 2 seconds. I come back cloaked they they are zipping around in circles to defend each other at full impulse (I assume the all have the MW instant power transfer after full impulse thing going). I uncloak get 3 shots off and Tyken's/GW3 get me again. Boom!

You'd think that if your skills are that much better than the average player and PvP is half dead in STO that you might just take it easy on the noobs so they might come back when there's not an Endeavor? Nope, not the PvPer mindset, obviously.
    Ground PvP: Other/"pro" team stormed into our spawn area, nuked everyone in 2 seconds and sat there waiting for respawns. Final Score: 0 to 15
    Space PvP: Other/"pro" team come in a group, someone(s) puts out a God-awful Tyken's Rift and GW3 in same spot, we all die in 2 seconds. I come back cloaked they they are zipping around in circles to defend each other at full impulse (I assume the all have the MW instant power transfer after full impulse thing going). I uncloak get 3 shots off and Tyken's/GW3 get me again. Boom!

You'd think that if your skills are that much better than the average player and PvP is half dead in STO that you might just take it easy on the noobs so they might come back when there's not an Endeavor? Nope, not the PvPer mindset, obviously.

That's not the PvPer mindset. Well, not all of them. PvP, like PvE, has its bad elements within in the community. There isn't a great deal we can do here to prevent it either.

Most of the PvPer's I know are fairly laid back about it. Take for instance I'm working on a space build. I'm keeping quite about it. But, I do discuss options with them. The main thing that I'm stuck on at the moment, is deciding what energy type I want to use.

So let's not generalize all PvPer's by the actions of a few.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
    edited October 2017
    I come back cloaked they they are zipping around in circles to defend each other at full impulse (I assume the all have the MW instant power transfer after full impulse thing going).

OH... I been playing with that Impulse Engine on my Kor. It is the Competitive Rep.
    Every time I hit "Tactical BOFF" buttons...it increases speed. It is fun as hell...feels like I am playing with Evasive Maneuvers on constantly. Fun Fun Fun. Try it.

BTW...there are three variations in the Competitve Rep store...So watch which one you buy. One that triggers on Tac boff, one that triggers on Eng Boff and one that triggers on Sci Boff.... I got the Tac one because I know I am constantly clicking on those Tac buttons. :)

OK I don't exactly have the description of how it works right...but here is the Wiki info:
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Prevailing_Regalia#Prevailing_Impulse_Engines

P.S. Speed helps with Defense....it gets harder for them to hit you.

edited October 2017
    where2r1 wrote: »
    I come back cloaked they they are zipping around in circles to defend each other at full impulse (I assume the all have the MW instant power transfer after full impulse thing going).

OH... I been playing with that Impulse Engine on my Kor. It is the Competitive Rep.
    Every time I hit "Tactical BOFF" buttons...it increases speed. It is fun as hell...feels like I am playing with Evasive Maneuvers on constantly. Fun Fun Fun. Try it.

BTW...there are three variations in the Competitve Rep store...So watch which one you buy. One that triggers on Tac boff, one that triggers on Eng Boff and one that triggers on Sci Boff.... I got the Tac one because I know I am constantly clicking on those Tac buttons. :)

OK I don't exactly have the description of how it works right...but here is the Wiki info:
    https://sto.gamepedia.com/Prevailing_Regalia#Prevailing_Impulse_Engines

Yeah my PvP and PvE friends all agree. The Impulse Engine is the only piece worth getting from that set. Some will say the shield is as well, for the placate it has. But overall, they agree, only the engine is worth getting.

Personally, I still run an older set. But that's cause of the build I'm working on. I may look into things I can do with this later on. But the main reason that speed is a thing. Is that the faster you go, the higher your defense value.

Now mind, I'm working all this from a slightly different perspective than most. I'm doing this as a F2P and fleetless. So I'm working with the free ships, no fleet gear, no c-store ships and no fifth trait slot. So that all my builds revolve around crafted gear, reputation rewards, episode rewards, and traits you can buy on the exchange.

This is something I would encourage anyone to do. It will give you a good look at the power balances with and without.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
    coldnapalm wrote: »

Because doing 500% exploit damage means you do over 1k damage in a shot.

Amongst other things...but that is what I use to one shot people.

Oh I'm aware. One of the ground builds I was testing was a stealth one. In a test run at VR Mk XII, I vaped my test target with a 3200 crit. Of course during the testing. Not only did we discuss tweaks, but also developed a counter to it.

But the main thing is to think about your build. While you can do a good bit of damage. You're ability to survive is lowered. So between you kit, armor, traits and modules. You'll need to figure out what you can swap around to help with that. It's something I'm still working on with my stealth build. It can hit like a ton of bricks. But, it's not so good for taking the hits.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
    redvenge wrote: »

Get into a private ground match with a friend or fleet member. Take turns "winning" the match. Everyone collects the reward without going through a PvP match. I've had my fill of "elite strats" like spawn camping.

PvP in STO is garbage. You keep telling yourselves how it's the "real test" of "epicness" while you spawncamp and tell people how sh*t they are. Any future PvP Endeavor can suck it.

Well...nothing anyone can really do about TRIBBLE in the queues. It happens everywhere.

P.S. it goes to those of you using Boolean on the PvE folks trying PvP for the first time in a long time, too.

Because doing 500% exploit damage means you do over 1k damage in a shot.

Amongst other things...but that is what I use to one shot people.

Oh I'm aware. One of the ground builds I was testing was a stealth one. In a test run at VR Mk XII, I vaped my test target with a 3200 crit. Of course during the testing. Not only did we discuss tweaks, but also developed a counter to it.

But the main thing is to think about your build. While you can do a good bit of damage. You're ability to survive is lowered. So between you kit, armor, traits and modules. You'll need to figure out what you can swap around to help with that. It's something I'm still working on with my stealth build. It can hit like a ton of bricks. But, it's not so good for taking the hits.

Try the nakhul shield that makes distortions. Unless they spam really powerful AoEs, it should buy you a bit of time to do your brick hitting. The vaduaar drone is also great for keeping you alive. My favorite is the plasma casacde one tho. They shoot you, you take no damage and they get a nice zap back. If they are also hitting like a ton of bricks, they gib themselves and their team :p . Great fun.

The Nah'kul shield is my normal go to. But that depends on what I'm trying to do. Like if I do a ground PvE, I tend to setup more as a tank. while that shield is useful, for tanking... it tuns into a threat dump.

I've got the basics of my build figured out. I'm mainly trying to figure out what mods I want on my kit for it. The main decision there is whether to go with [+<Energy Type>], [CritH], or [CritX}. Of course with [Kperf] and/or [WpnDmg]. Which means I'm looking at Crafted, Herald, or Delta kits.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • michaelmacleod#3983 michaelmacleod Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    Today is my first time playing pvp on STO, never really wanted to try it figuring I'd get smoked cause I don't buy Zen and have multiple years playing, but figured I'd have a go for the Endeavor. I have been playing multiplayer games with pvp since the 90's and with the exception of rare times when the game/server/internet/PC crashed, I have NEVER been unsure if my team won or lost a pvp match before. THAT changed today due to how absolutely horrible STO has pvp coded currently. The end screen had ZERO info aside from the supposed final tallies (11/15) (15/15). No names to confirm what team I was on, no kill/death ratio, didn't keep track as I was busy flying my ship, pretty sure I was 4-5 kills/0 deaths (I can't believe I managed to not die despite having up to 3 enemies at times doing their best to off me.)

I am sure anyone reading this will say "Obviously you were on the 11/15 team" and while I would agree with that my problem is the mission tracker had my team at 13/15, which would of been upped to 14/15 cause just before it ended I got one last kill then someone on my team died and it ended. So, did I mistakenly read the last death notice wrong and my team got the 15th kill? Did the game just not add up kills right and my team lost?

So for the Endeavor for just "Participating" is it really a you must win to get or just doesn't work in space?
  • orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    That's because the PvP scoreboard has been bugged for a while and it's never been a priority for them to fix it.
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
This discussion has been closed.